IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Powdered Egg?
Views: 18,219
# 1
tallulah beaulah
Old 11-12-2006, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Powdered Egg?

I've searched and can't find anything about powdered egg on the OS board.

I'm a recent convert to powdered milk and wondered if powdered egg is freely available, as I think it could be a very useful store cupboard item, for using in baking etc. I'd still want to use fresh eggs if I was making an omelette.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any powdered egg in my local co-op, the only place I've seen anything similar is the powdered vegan egg alternative in health food shops.

Does anyone use powdered egg / know where to get it / know if its cost effective? I've googled without much luck too.
"Then, when every last cent
Of their money was spent,
The Fix-it-Up Chappie packed up
And he went."

Dr Seuss
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
lil_me
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

I seen it in Tescos today but had never used it so didn't risk buying it. Would be interested in responses from those who have used it aswell.
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
# 3
ChocClare
Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have got a packet of it sitting in my cupboard (I thought I'd have it as a standby too!) but haven't used it yet. It was quite expensive - £1.98 for quite a small packet. It was in the baking aisle at Tesco's.

However, in The Tightwad Gazette, the lovely Mrs Dacyczyn advocates using one heaped tablespoon of soya flour and one tablespoon of water in place of each egg in baking - and I HAVE used this, and it worked very well: the cake was a little heavier than usual, but rose very well, and I think this was probably because "a heaped tablespoon" is not really an exact amount - next time I'll probably use a rounded tablespoon rather than a heaped one.

A packet of soya flour from our local health food shop (which is hardly the cheapest place in the world) was about the same price for about four times the amount. So now I have some in an airtight jar in the cupboard, which should hopefully last a lot longer than the powdered egg, which, I seem to remember, had a fairly short shelf life. OK, so you wouldn't use soya flour and water in a chocolate mousse, but then I'm not sure I'd use powdered egg there anyway...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChocClare For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
thriftlady
Old 12-12-2006, 8:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I am sure Black Saturn mentioned using it quite recently. I thought it was expensive too, but it's advantage is that it lasts a long time.

I've used the soya flour substitue too
# 5
mrs baggins
Old 12-12-2006, 8:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have used powdered egg white ok in recipies. You can get it in tesco - i think it was in a little box from supercook but may be wrong on the name
# 6
livinginhope
Old 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning Tallulah,my gran used to swear by powdered egg in all her cakes,she never used fresh eggs.I have used it a few times and I have to say the cakes were lovely,just like grans
You can buy it in Tesco alongside the coconut/raisins/dried fruit etc,mine is in a tub like gravy granules.I haven't seen it in Asda.
LIH
Debt at highest 107k
Debt as of Nov 11 90k
Sorting debt thanks to DMP with Payplan 52 years
Proud to be dealing with my debts
# 7
LJM
Old 12-12-2006, 4:59 PM

Location: in a very happy place with the most fantastic family

we have a shop that sells loose dry ingridients,which works out quite cheap as you can just weigh and buy the amount you need,have you any shops near you like this
Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
# 8
lynzpower
Old 12-12-2006, 5:32 PM

WOW thanks for the soya flour tip!!! I had no idea!!! Particularly good for my OH who has high-but-reducing cholestrol & hes not meant to have eggs!

Cheers gang
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
# 9
bordercars
Old 07-10-2008, 4:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default powdered egg

just back from tesco's they had supercook whole egg powder on offer, normally 1.97 now 49p. they say use as an egg, anyone got any experience of, or any reciepes please.
Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
CCC Play Off Winners 2010
# 10
phizzimum
Old 07-10-2008, 5:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

sorry I can't be of any help, but I'm waiting to see what other replies you get. I've never noticed powdered egg in the supermarket before - but then again I've never looked for it. I'm quite intrigued as DD has been learning about WW2/rationing etc for school. I might get some egg to try it out!
# 11
bordercars
Old 07-10-2008, 5:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i hope im not getting it fed to me as scambled, but if it goes in a cake that will be rather nice. has anyone used tho
# 12
sandraroffey
Old 07-10-2008, 5:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

in the war everyone used dried egg. there must be recipes etc online, for dried eggs in cooking. my mum always used it in cakes and cooking. i have the 'we'll eat again' cook books with recipes from during and after the war. dried egg is used in them all. have a look online. xxx
# 13
Pink.
Old 07-10-2008, 5:25 PM

Hi bordercars,

This earlier thread may help: Powdered Egg?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 14
bordercars
Old 07-10-2008, 5:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

just bought some in tescos brandon. on offer 49p instead of 1.97.
cheaper than eggs
The Following User Says Thank You to bordercars For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Pretani
Old 07-10-2008, 5:53 PM

Sorry to barge in with another question on this thread, but can someone say if storing fresh eggs in the fridge is safe?
# 16
Pink.
Old 07-10-2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretani View Post
Sorry to barge in with another question on this thread, but can someone say if storing fresh eggs in the fridge is safe?
Hi Pratani,

This thread may help you: eggs - best to keep in the fridge?

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
wendybird
Old 08-10-2008, 2:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Powdered / dehydrated eggs?

Does anyone know where I can find these? I want them for my storecupboard for baking etc. You can get them in the US, but I can't seem to find any here? Are they called something else?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Wendybird
# 18
Pink.
Old 08-10-2008, 3:09 PM

Hi Wendy,

There was a thread on this very topic yesterday that should help so I'll add your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
wendybird
Old 08-10-2008, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you pink-winged! Not sure how I missed that as I seem to spend most of my time on this forum recently! Cheers - I'll have look at Tesco for the whole egg powder. I see they have egg white powder on-line as well, but I don't think this will work? (Not much of a cook - but I'm trying!).
The Following User Says Thank You to wendybird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
wendybird
Old 08-10-2008, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No luck, they don't carry it in my local Tesco and I can't get it online from them either. Any one else have other ideas?