Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > Returning item to john lewis- gift with no reciep... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Returning item to john lewis- gift with no reciept
Closed Thread
Views: 8,049
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Cat72
Old 11-12-2006, 6:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: bonnie scotland
Posts: 2,389
Default Returning item to john lewis- gift with no reciept

Hi
I usually only return items if I have a reciept but I got a present from my friend which they bought on the john lewis web site. I have never returned anything to john lewis before , and I obviousily dont have a reciept . I wanted to swap it for something else I would prefer ( have my eye on a nice kettle ) or gift vouchers if they dont have my kettle in stock. Should this be ok, - i dont want a scene and dont want to tell my friend I didnt like her pressie. Are john lewis quite good with this kind of thing or will I better just forgetting it ?
Cat72 is offline
Report Post
# 2
mleonard79
Old 13-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,612
Default

Hi Cat72,

I've returned things to John Lewis numerous times without a receipt and they are always fine about it. If the staff know what they're doing they should give you gift vouchers which should be fine for you as you want to buy something else anyway. I have had quite a few staff just put the money back on my card but they clearly don't know the store policy very well as it's meant to be gift vouchers if no receipt. Just take the item back to whatever department it was purchased from and say you've lost the receipt. Good luck!

Regards

Michelle
mleonard79 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mleonard79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Cat72
Old 15-12-2006, 9:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: bonnie scotland
Posts: 2,389
Default

Thanks everything wnet fine- the staff in store did there own thing and not want customer services said they would. Very good service nad now I have a new kettle- better than the chocolate fondue set I was given !
Cat72 is offline
Report Post
# 4
henhog
Old 15-12-2006, 9:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,784
Default

John Lewis are the best store for refunds - they don't question anything. it's worth shopping with them purely because of their refund policy alone. But beware - over Xmas it is well worth keeping your receipt. They dont mark their sale goods in any way (like Next put a red spot on all theirs) and if you bring anything back during the sales period they will only give you the sale price, regardless of when it was bought.
henhog is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to henhog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
mleonard79
Old 15-12-2006, 9:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,612
Default

That's great Cat72 - glad you had no trouble!
mleonard79 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mleonard79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Stu_Dent
Old 01-01-2007, 2:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleonard79
Hi Cat72,

I've returned things to John Lewis numerous times without a receipt and they are always fine about it. If the staff know what they're doing they should give you gift vouchers which should be fine for you as you want to buy something else anyway. I have had quite a few staff just put the money back on my card but they clearly don't know the store policy very well as it's meant to be gift vouchers if no receipt. Just take the item back to whatever department it was purchased from and say you've lost the receipt. Good luck!

Regards

Michelle
Just to clarify i actually work for JL and i had a chat with my manager about this yesterday and i was reassured that although it may not be nationwide, company policy IS to return money back onto the card unless the customer specifically requests Gift Vouchers.

Stu
Stu_Dent is offline
Report Post
# 7
Stu_Dent
Old 01-01-2007, 2:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhog
John Lewis are the best store for refunds - they don't question anything. it's worth shopping with them purely because of their refund policy alone. But beware - over Xmas it is well worth keeping your receipt. They dont mark their sale goods in any way (like Next put a red spot on all theirs) and if you bring anything back during the sales period they will only give you the sale price, regardless of when it was bought.
Unless you have the receipt...
Stu_Dent is offline
Report Post
# 8
mleonard79
Old 01-01-2007, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Dent
Just to clarify i actually work for JL and i had a chat with my manager about this yesterday and i was reassured that although it may not be nationwide, company policy IS to return money back onto the card unless the customer specifically requests Gift Vouchers.

Stu
Hi Stu,

When I said that company policy is to give gift vouchers I was referring to the OP's situation which is returning an item without a receipt and in this case the company policy is definitely that you should give the customer gift vouchers - in the case of someone returning something with a receipt, however, then what your manager told you about refunding straight onto the card is correct. This is where the confusion often arises not only in John Lewis but in many stores.

Regards

Michelle
mleonard79 is offline
Report Post
# 9
Stu_Dent
Old 01-01-2007, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleonard79
Hi Stu,

When I said that company policy is to give gift vouchers I was referring to the OP's situation which is returning an item without a receipt and in this case the company policy is definitely that you should give the customer gift vouchers - in the case of someone returning something with a receipt, however, then what your manager told you about refunding straight onto the card is correct. This is where the confusion often arises not only in John Lewis but in many stores.

Regards

Michelle
i dont mean this in a rude way but do you work for john lewis?

Stu
Stu_Dent is offline
Report Post
# 10
mleonard79
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Dent
i dont mean this in a rude way but do you work for john lewis?

Stu
Hi Stu,

Not rude at all - I have worked for John Lewis and many other high street stores in certain capacities in the recent past and thus know what the return and refund policy is so unless they've recently changed it I think what I've said should still be correct. It's the standard practice for all large department stores not to refund in cash or to a card for items returned without a receipt as the customer could have used vouchers to buy the item in the first place. Of course it's not a big deal and I've seen a lot of staff just refund it to the card without really knowing or caring but I've seen an equally large number say they can only offer vouchers. John Lewis is a particularly good store to return items to along with M&S as they usually take things back no problem - whether or not you get the money refunded to your card or you get vouchers depends on whether you have the receipt and if you don't it then depends on the member of staff who handles the return. Did your manager say it was fine to return money on to a customer's card even when they don't have a receipt then?

Regards

Michelle
mleonard79 is offline
Report Post
# 11
Stu_Dent
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 222
Default

Hey,

Basically i've been working for JL for quite a few years now and have always been told to give back the money the way it was paid ie.cash for cash..

Whenever a customer comes with no receipt it is our departmental/branch policy to give money back on the card..the reason i believe for this is because then at least we have the customers details if anything suspicious is going on, whereas if you give back cash/gift vouchers then there isnt much you can do..

Also,it is only recently that we've had a gift voucher button installed on our till points so before hand we just pressed cash so if a return was brought we would know no other than to give back cash..

Stu
Stu_Dent is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:53 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 27 August 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.