Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Santander, how many current accounts? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Santander, how many current accounts?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,103
# 1
mrchagle
Old 28-05-2011, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Santander, how many current accounts?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how many Santander current accounts you can have. I want to take advantage of the 5% offering.

Thanks,
If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
# 2
Toe-Jam
Old 28-05-2011, 9:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

2 per customer i think it is.
# 3
slush
Old 29-05-2011, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You can have more than that. OH and I certainly did.

But be warned, eventually they totally screwed things up, affecting 12 accounts, 9 personal and 3 business.

Their incompetence is beyond belief... we are now persuing the matter with the Financial Ombudsman and the Information Commissioner.

We would rather hastle free banking, something alien to Santander, than the 5%.

Any bank can mess up. But the sign of a good bank is what theyy do when something has gone wrong.

Santander have repeatedly been told what has gone wrong. And have done nothing to put any of it right.... but instead have compounded the problems at every stage.

I even have online access to someone else's Santander accounts, their credit card and more! We have complained to Santander and they have done nothing about it. I have even taken proof to the local branch manager. And still they have done nothing!

They are not worth the 5%.... for all the hastle and grief you risk exposing yourself to.

Don't just take my word for it.... look through countless threads on these forums.

Regards, Slush.

PS If anyone on here is from Santander... please challange any of the above and I'll willing prove what I'm saying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slush For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
anselld
Old 29-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I would agree. The optimum number of accounts is zero.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anselld For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Toe-Jam
Old 29-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselld View Post
I would agree. The optimum number of accounts is zero.
Well they do have Santander Zero, maybe they were listening after all
# 6
td_007
Old 29-05-2011, 2:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have 3-5 current a/cs at any given time. But I use them simply to get the 5% rate - none of my bills or anything else gets paid out them. 1K gets circulated every month and thats it. Admittedly, I had to spend some time following up with them because they screwed up interest payments (and that is the only thing they have do for a/c!!). But overall if you do not use the a/c as a bank a/c you will be more or less ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to td_007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
slush
Old 29-05-2011, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_007 View Post
But overall if you do not use the a/c as a bank a/c you will be more or less ok.
I used to think that too.. tempted by the 5%.

But when they screw up, they can screw up BIG time... affecting YOUR credit rating by their imcompetence.

.... exposing your numerous accounts to possible on-line fraud.

And doing nothing to put right their errors

No, no... they are not worth the hastle!
The Following User Says Thank You to slush For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
mrchagle
Old 30-05-2011, 12:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

MMMMmmmm, thanks. I have 3 already however I don't use them for DD's... just basic "savings accounts" receiving 5% ...

Thanks for the feedback, the good and bad.. but mostly bad. :-)
If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
# 9
Bloomberg
Old 30-05-2011, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Exclamation A warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by slush View Post

But be warned, eventually they totally screwed things up, affecting 12 accounts, 9 personal and 3 business.

Their incompetence is beyond belief... we are now persuing the matter with the Financial Ombudsman and the Information Commissioner.

Any bank can mess up. But the sign of a good bank is what theyy do when something has gone wrong.

Santander have repeatedly been told what has gone wrong. And have done nothing to put any of it right.... but instead have compounded the problems at every stage.

I even have online access to someone else's Santander accounts, their credit card and more! We have complained to Santander and they have done nothing about it. I have even taken proof to the local branch manager. And still they have done nothing!

They are not worth the 5%.... for all the hastle and grief you risk exposing yourself to.

Don't just take my word for it.... look through countless threads on these forums.

Regards, Slush.

PS If anyone on here is from Santander... please challange any of the above and I'll willing prove what I'm saying.

Thank you for sharing that with us, too many people look at short term incentives rather than long term value and service. I think that it would be very foolhardy to ignore your post and the numerous others warning about Santander.
Money talks, are you listening?
# 10
adindas
Old 30-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Yes
Two Santander Zero A/C per customer based on their T&C.

But probably people could still have another type of current A/C ewhich also earn 5% interest, e.g Preferred Current A/C . I have not tried it yet so cannot be sure about this.

ADINDAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe-Jam View Post
2 per customer i think it is.
# 11
slush
Old 30-05-2011, 11:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you like... whatever floats your boat.

But the facts of my post stand.
# 12
slush
Old 31-05-2011, 12:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchagle View Post
MMMMmmmm, thanks. I have 3 already however I don't use them for DD's... just basic "savings accounts" receiving 5% ...

Thanks for the feedback, the good and bad.. but mostly bad. :-)
The OH and I never used any of the personal accounts for DDs either. Just like you... to get the 5%.

But the mess that they generated with our finances has been incredible. Messing up credit histories with errors that they have generated; putting completely separate business accounts at risk by screwing up online access and linking them with personal accounts; by giving me online access to someone elses accounts; and then doing absolutely NOTHING to put the mess right.
# 13
flexrider
Old 31-05-2011, 12:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by slush View Post

Regards, Slush.

To start with i am not challenging you(do not work for them either)
I am in agreement, I still Bank with Santander but for business use i use Barclays and My local Building society (Cheshire) because they have more intrest then 5% percent on my account every time i deposit the funds (I have receive 8% last time) This plan is called a continuity plan,No longer available to new customers and the service i get when i go in their is excellent as in i speak to my account manager over a cuppa tea in the office, Name me one other place were they do that?

here is why i do not choose santander at all,

July 2009:Opened preferred in credit current account deposited 50k away into it,(Business funds) Waited a whole month for card. Contacted them, Was told i never received the card because my account is being investigated for fraudulent reasons, Got to the bottom of it when it was all about me paying From old account which was Halifax the 50k direct to new account, Had to go back to Halifax to prove the money transaction is sure real enough! Quick call to ombudsmans! Two weeks later sant backed down with 2 payments of goodwill still no intrest mind!

On the preferred account they advertised pay in 1,000 pounds and receive intrest, Still awaiting today for my 50k intrest i paid in. Been asked plenty of times do i wish to upgrade to the zero account told them no. Complined to the FSA and ombudsman for flase advertisment,and problems Santander wrote back saying they will look into it, Still no intrest added to account, the fight goes on! Have moved back the 50k to barclays now! receiving better intrest then santander ever shown. That account is only got the overdraft set up on it and hardly use it now(Have also cut up the card)

October 2010: opened a second current account with visa debit card. Took all id to the store on day of opening, Opened no problem left to beleive that,

Again account flagged by fraud team for no ID yet i provded my passport and driving licence in store, Took a whole month to retify, In the ending marched into to liverpool and to the place i opened my account spoke to the bank manager their who was unhelpful-refused to move until he sorted it out!! Another quick call to FSA ombudsman! Received 2 130.00 good will charges for the error but bank tried to retify the fact the fault was because of me.which i beg to differ.Pehaps they should of gave that 130 quid to better staff or add it to the training pot!

sepetmberpened 3rd current bank account (Business bank current account) No problems except did not have a overdraft set up on this account and went over by 3p in the account while was waiting for funds to come into it. Tried to charge me 90 quid for 3p.......account closed since then had the charges reversed btw

Still i do not trust any bank myself. Worse then politicians the banking system. All in bed together i beleive also may i add are in some way or form.

Im sure SANTANDER is the spanish word for "Trouble"...
"MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far " p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro

Last edited by flexrider; 31-05-2011 at 12:47 AM.
# 14
slush
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

They offered me 100 compensation yesterday. Probably because my complaint via the FSA had just reached Santander.

I told Santander to poke it! Compared to the grief they have caused us, that is a total insult.

They also told me that everything is now corrected online. That was at lunchtime yesterday. And they are writing to comfirm that.

Just checked online... and NOTHING is fixed. Not surprised though. So I've taken some more screen shots to add to the complaint file.

And I've still got access to someone elses accounts as well as my own.... after 7 weeks of complaints on that issue alone.

So if anyone reading this thread and thinking about banking with Santander... would you be happy sharing your accounts with me?

Or worse still... sharing them with someone else that wouldn't have complained ... but would have taken the opportunity to clear out all your hard earned?

AVOID Santander at all costs... don't sell yourself out for the 5%. The loss could far out perform the gain. Don't just take my word for it; these forums are full of similar horror stories.

Last edited by slush; 06-06-2011 at 8:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to slush For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
adindas
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM

Dear td and all

How could we get 3-5 accounts. Did you open it online or telephone banking ?.

Could we open simultaneously 3-5 accounts or we need to wait ...

Quote:
I have 3-5 current a/cs at any given time. But I use them simply to get the 5% rate - none of my bills or anything else gets paid out them. 1K gets circulated every month and thats it. Admittedly, I had to spend some time following up with them because they screwed up interest payments (and that is the only thing they have do for a/c!!). But overall if you do not use the a/c as a bank a/c you will be more or less ok.
# 16
td_007
Old 04-06-2011, 9:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adindas View Post
Dear td and all

How could we get 3-5 accounts. Did you open it online or telephone banking ?.

Could we open simultaneously 3-5 accounts or we need to wait ...
I have opened them all online either via quidco or TCB to take advantage of cashback as well -have made quite a bit this way. I space it out by few months and as soon any account reaches its anniversary (and the 5% rate drops), I close it.
The Following User Says Thank You to td_007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
adindas
Old 06-06-2011, 7:35 AM

Thank you to let me know about this.
It is good to cash cash back, and top interest rate. I also always close my a/c after the anniversary, wait for 3 months and open it again.

ADINDAS

Quote:
I have opened them all online either via quidco or TCB to take advantage of cashback as well -have made quite a bit this way. I space it out by few months and as soon any account reaches its anniversary (and the 5% rate drops), I close it.
# 18
adindas
Old 15-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Update

The anniversary of my PICR is already very soon. But I rencetly upgrade my PICR to Santander Zero Current account to entend their live for 5% Interest Rate.

So I currently get two Santander Zero A/Cs whihc earn 5% fro the first 2500.00. In a few month I will try to open another PICR and try to use their swtiching service to harvest 100.00 switching Incentive ... Let see how it is going ...
# 19
exel1966
Old 09-08-2011, 6:14 PM

For those with more than one preferred account - Does the 1k pm have to come from an external source or can it be moved between other Santander accounts ?
# 20
td_007
Old 09-08-2011, 9:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exel1966 View Post
For those with more than one preferred account - Does the 1k pm have to come from an external source or can it be moved between other Santander accounts ?
It needs from an external a/c. Also, the 1K needs to hit the a/c monthly based on the a/c opening date e.g. if your a/c was opened on the the 15th June then the next month's 1K needs to hit between 15July-14Aug. If you get it in for eg on 12th of July then it does not count. The only current a/c that I know which has this stupid rule
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to td_007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread