Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liamcov
    • By liamcov 27th May 11, 10:05 AM
    • 344Posts
    • 331Thanks
    liamcov
    Any car breakdown cover for cars over 10 years old?
    • 27th May 11, 10:05 AM
    Any car breakdown cover for cars over 10 years old? 27th May 11 at 10:05 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For full information on vehicle breakdown cover, see the main website's Cheap Car Breakdown Cover Insurance guide.

Back to the original post...

---------------------

All the good offers seem to restrict it to cars that are up to 10 years but mine is 15 years, is there anything available or won't it be worth it?
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 28-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 27th May 11, 10:47 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 2,453 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 27th May 11, 10:47 AM
    • 27th May 11, 10:47 AM
    AutoAid is a good company, widely recommended on this site ( and by me, I use it ! )

I'm not aware of any age restrictions, as long as it's an "ordinary" car. 38 quid covers you and spouse to drive any car. It's a "pay and reclaim" policy - if you break down, you pay the breakdown company and claim the cost back from AutoAid. I've only ever had to use them once ( thankfully ! ), but there was absolutely no hassle. You can either phone your own preferred garage, or phone AutoAid and they'll send a local recovery firm to get you. What I found was nice, they towed me to the garage near my home, rather than just the nearest garage to where I had broken down, which made life a lot easier. Sent the receipt off to AutoAid, got a cheque back within a few days. No problem.
    • rev_henry
    • By rev_henry 27th May 11, 10:49 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rev_henry
    • 27th May 11, 10:49 AM
    • 27th May 11, 10:49 AM
    You can have normal AA or RAC cover, but you need to pay a little extra for personal cover rather than vehicle cover. Insurance choice will cover cars up to 16 years old for 39. I'm with them - its particularly good for the money as it includes nationwide recovery/onward travel. Although they've recently changed their prices - used to be only 29 regardless of age.

http://www.icbreakdown.co.uk/compare.php
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 27th May 11, 10:53 AM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 39,298 Thanks
    balletshoes
    • 27th May 11, 10:53 AM
    • 27th May 11, 10:53 AM
    there are loads out there at first glance -

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/roadsiderescue/RoadsideResults.asp?DetailsID=3850049

I'm with ICbreakdown, my car is 10 years old. I've called them out once so far, on Christmas Eve morning, very impressed with the speed and service.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 27th May 11, 3:53 PM
    • 10,873 Posts
    • 14,515 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 27th May 11, 3:53 PM
    • 27th May 11, 3:53 PM
    I also have RAC personal membership

My oldest car is over 50 years old. It broke down once and they sorted without any issues.

If you use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to buy membership it won't break the bank.
  • Flyboy152
    • 27th May 11, 4:45 PM
    • 27th May 11, 4:45 PM
    Trouble is though, Gloomendoom, you would have to shop at Tesco, in order to get the vouchers.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 27th May 11, 6:03 PM
    • 952 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 27th May 11, 6:03 PM
    • 27th May 11, 6:03 PM
    I have AA cover which covers me for 5 x 500 claims on their own warranty in one year!! Excellent!!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
  • Hammyman
    • 27th May 11, 6:23 PM
    • 27th May 11, 6:23 PM
    I've had RAC cover paid with Tesco Clubcard points and had no problem with them coming out to my 25 year old Capri and my Dads 40 year old Morris Minor.
    • Rebob
    • By Rebob 27th May 11, 6:33 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    Rebob
    • 27th May 11, 6:33 PM
    • 27th May 11, 6:33 PM
    We asked the RAC the same question and they said as long as you had more than the most basic cover it did not matter how old the car is.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
    • mcjordi
    • By mcjordi 27th May 11, 6:46 PM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 8,759 Thanks
    mcjordi
    my xsara is 12. so had to get personal cover from the RAC.. not fussed as im covered whoever's car im in..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    "you had me at free"
    stealing your thoughts since 1984
    stars from Sue-UU ive had more but the price of gold was too much to resist
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 27th May 11, 8:16 PM
    • 10,873 Posts
    • 14,515 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Trouble is though, Gloomendoom, you would have to shop at Tesco, in order to get the vouchers.
    Originally posted by Flyboy152
    I rarely go in the place. My wife however...
  • Flyboy152
    I've had RAC cover paid with Tesco Clubcard points and had no problem with them coming out to my 25 year old Capri and my Dads 40 year old Morris Minor.
    Originally posted by Hammyman
    I would imagine a Morris Minor and a twenty-five year old Capri are far easier to repair, than a brand new Vauxhall Vectra.
    • s b
    • By s b 27th May 11, 10:15 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    s b
    I would imagine a Morris Minor and a twenty-five year old Capri are far easier to repair, than a brand new Vauxhall Vectra.
    and of course the man that came to repair it at the roadside understands points and condensors and even stocks them in his van next to the renault pencil coils...................
  • Hammyman
    and of course the man that came to repair it at the roadside understands points and condensors and even stocks them in his van next to the renault pencil coils...................
    Originally posted by s b
    Actually when my dads moggy broke down, the guy did. Not only that, he went off to a local motor factors, bought a new set of points and condenser, fitted them and set the timing.

I got the feeling there was a bit of nostalgia going on as it was well above the call of duty.

With the Capri, one of the large seals on the oil cooler takeoff plate had gone and it was late at night so was a recovery job.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 27th May 11, 11:28 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    Tilt
    Im in the AA and I have my 11 year old Punto HGT (from new). Havn't ever had to call them out though and touch wood, the way it loves motorways, I don't see that I will need them anytime soon.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 28th May 11, 3:19 AM
    • 9,346 Posts
    • 16,478 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    We had AA then RAC cover on our 11 year old Yaris until we got shot of it - we only had to call them out once when the tyre got knackered when OH drove over something in the road. They were very good and the price wasnt bad either - we've got cover now through Toyota on the new Yaris.
    Captain Fantastic! Proud to be #YFC since 2010!!
    Thrilled to have met my hero 13 and 15/05. Still 3 miles high and I'm so happy! Thanks Fran
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky xx
    Always Team V xx
  • KillerWatt
    Green Flag quite happily cover our 15 year old import Isuzu, and that does create problems for them if recovery is needed as it weighs in at 2.6 tonnes (so no towing on a dolly or stiff bar unless the towing vehicle can meet the MAM).
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

451Posts Today

3,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin