Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Any car breakdown cover for cars over 10 years ol... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Any car breakdown cover for cars over 10 years old?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,310
# 1
liamcov
Old 27-05-2011, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Any car breakdown cover for cars over 10 years old?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For full information on vehicle breakdown cover, see the main website's Cheap Car Breakdown Cover Insurance guide.

Back to the original post...

---------------------

All the good offers seem to restrict it to cars that are up to 10 years but mine is 15 years, is there anything available or won't it be worth it?

Last edited by MSE Tony; 28-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
# 2
Ebe Scrooge
Old 27-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

AutoAid is a good company, widely recommended on this site ( and by me, I use it ! )

I'm not aware of any age restrictions, as long as it's an "ordinary" car. 38 quid covers you and spouse to drive any car. It's a "pay and reclaim" policy - if you break down, you pay the breakdown company and claim the cost back from AutoAid. I've only ever had to use them once ( thankfully ! ), but there was absolutely no hassle. You can either phone your own preferred garage, or phone AutoAid and they'll send a local recovery firm to get you. What I found was nice, they towed me to the garage near my home, rather than just the nearest garage to where I had broken down, which made life a lot easier. Sent the receipt off to AutoAid, got a cheque back within a few days. No problem.
# 3
rev_henry
Old 27-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can have normal AA or RAC cover, but you need to pay a little extra for personal cover rather than vehicle cover. Insurance choice will cover cars up to 16 years old for 39. I'm with them - its particularly good for the money as it includes nationwide recovery/onward travel. Although they've recently changed their prices - used to be only 29 regardless of age.

http://www.icbreakdown.co.uk/compare.php
The Following User Says Thank You to rev_henry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
balletshoes
Old 27-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

there are loads out there at first glance -

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/road...ailsID=3850049

I'm with ICbreakdown, my car is 10 years old. I've called them out once so far, on Christmas Eve morning, very impressed with the speed and service.
# 5
Gloomendoom
Old 27-05-2011, 3:53 PM

I also have RAC personal membership

My oldest car is over 50 years old. It broke down once and they sorted without any issues.

If you use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to buy membership it won't break the bank.
# 6
Flyboy152
Old 27-05-2011, 4:45 PM

Trouble is though, Gloomendoom, you would have to shop at Tesco, in order to get the vouchers.
# 7
alcot33uk
Old 27-05-2011, 6:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have AA cover which covers me for 5 x 500 claims on their own warranty in one year!! Excellent!!
Take what you can they said, take it while you may. But keep in mind the penalty fits the crime, and it deals no softened blow.
# 8
Hammyman
Old 27-05-2011, 6:23 PM
PPR

I've had RAC cover paid with Tesco Clubcard points and had no problem with them coming out to my 25 year old Capri and my Dads 40 year old Morris Minor.
# 9
Rebob
Old 27-05-2011, 6:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We asked the RAC the same question and they said as long as you had more than the most basic cover it did not matter how old the car is.
The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
# 10
mcjordi
Old 27-05-2011, 6:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

my xsara is 12. so had to get personal cover from the RAC.. not fussed as im covered whoever's car im in..
Sealed pot challenger # 257
currently saving for Chicago Trip 2015/2016 need circa 1500
# 11
Gloomendoom
Old 27-05-2011, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy152 View Post
Trouble is though, Gloomendoom, you would have to shop at Tesco, in order to get the vouchers.
I rarely go in the place. My wife however...
# 12
Flyboy152
Old 27-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyman View Post
I've had RAC cover paid with Tesco Clubcard points and had no problem with them coming out to my 25 year old Capri and my Dads 40 year old Morris Minor.
I would imagine a Morris Minor and a twenty-five year old Capri are far easier to repair, than a brand new Vauxhall Vectra.
# 13
s b
Old 27-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I would imagine a Morris Minor and a twenty-five year old Capri are far easier to repair, than a brand new Vauxhall Vectra.
and of course the man that came to repair it at the roadside understands points and condensors and even stocks them in his van next to the renault pencil coils...................
# 14
Hammyman
Old 27-05-2011, 10:51 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s b View Post
and of course the man that came to repair it at the roadside understands points and condensors and even stocks them in his van next to the renault pencil coils...................
Actually when my dads moggy broke down, the guy did. Not only that, he went off to a local motor factors, bought a new set of points and condenser, fitted them and set the timing.

I got the feeling there was a bit of nostalgia going on as it was well above the call of duty.

With the Capri, one of the large seals on the oil cooler takeoff plate had gone and it was late at night so was a recovery job.
# 15
Tilt
Old 27-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Im in the AA and I have my 11 year old Punto HGT (from new). Havn't ever had to call them out though and touch wood, the way it loves motorways, I don't see that I will need them anytime soon.
PLEASE NOTE
My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
# 16
Mrs_Ryan
Old 28-05-2011, 3:19 AM

We had AA then RAC cover on our 11 year old Yaris until we got shot of it - we only had to call them out once when the tyre got knackered when OH drove over something in the road. They were very good and the price wasnt bad either - we've got cover now through Toyota on the new Yaris.
Proud sponsor 2012/13,2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons and proud first time season ticket holder #IAmGreenAndWhite
May 2013 - start weight 19st 7lb,size 22 top/24-26 bottom.August 2014 14st 4lbs size 14 top, size 16 bottom. *Started Slimming World 16/9/13, target 14 st 7lbs REACHED 28/07/14 *
RIP Elle, I miss you so much x
# 17
KillerWatt
Old 28-05-2011, 3:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Green Flag quite happily cover our 15 year old import Isuzu, and that does create problems for them if recovery is needed as it weighs in at 2.6 tonnes (so no towing on a dolly or stiff bar unless the towing vehicle can meet the MAM).
Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
Closed Thread