Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 8th Dec 06, 6:55 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheapest Sipp: build yourself a low cost DIY pension article
    • 8th Dec 06, 6:55 PM
    Cheapest Sipp: build yourself a low cost DIY pension article 8th Dec 06 at 6:55 PM
    This discussion relates to the
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-10-2014 at 1:57 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 18
    • jonon
    • By jonon 11th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonon
    thanks James
    • jonon
    • By jonon 11th Aug 17, 1:34 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonon
    Is an ETF (Exchange traded fund) not a fund?

Is an S&P 500 index a "Fund, OEICS and unit trust" or "Shares & ETF's"

Is the FTSE 100 index a fund?

Thanks
    Last edited by jonon; 11-08-2017 at 1:45 PM.
  • jamesd
    An ETF is a share. Pricing for dealing or holding an ETF doesn't have to be the same as for other shares.

The S&P 500 index and the FTSE 100 are indexes, not funds, OEICs, unit trusts, shares or ETFs. Index trackers can be any of the things listed.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 89,486 Posts
    • 54,951 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Is the FTSE 100 index a fund?
    But not one you would want to invest in.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jonon
    • By jonon 11th Aug 17, 6:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonon
    Thanks guys, sorry these questions must be painful!

Is the Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% a fund?

Just trying to find out whats free to make regular deposits into.
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 11th Aug 17, 9:12 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    AlanP
    Thanks guys, sorry these questions must be painful!

Is the Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% a fund?

Just trying to find out whats free to make regular deposits into.
    Originally posted by jonon
    It is a "fund" in terms of any charge to invest in it by a platform that acts as a basket for a handful of Vanguard sector/asset specific funds that your money actually purchases.
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 21st Aug 17, 5:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    i have a SIPP which comprises of a number of bank accounts which hold cash either in a fixed term deposit or notice account and straight current account, current provider/administrator AJ Bell are expensive and not very effecient .....looking for better and cheaper , any thoughts /links, i dont trade shares etc just hold cash, so easy peasy .....thanks
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 6th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    I'm thinking of moving some of my HL Sipp holdings in-specie to Bestinvest due to lower platform fees and Bestinvest will cover the transfer out fees from HL. I'm just a bit worried about the levels of service I can expect from Bestinvest. Does anyone have experience of the Bestinvest Sipp platform services?
    Thanks
    • stephennt
    • By stephennt 6th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    stephennt
    Afraid I can't comment on Bestinvest, but I recently moved my SIPP from HL to II for the same reason. I should warn you to allow HL 3 months to complete the transfer, as they've been absolutely awful as managing my xfer out...
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 6th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Thanks, I'll take a look at II.

I've dug a bit deeper into the Bestinvest offering, seems that although their management fees are lower than HL, they start to charge for drawdown on a yearly basis once you want your money out.I've looked at the HL website & can't see any drawdown fees so have asked them about it. Overall, I'm not sure which is better value.
    • Laycity
    • By Laycity 7th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 2,177 Thanks
    Laycity
    Thanks, I'll take a look at II.

I've dug a bit deeper into the Bestinvest offering, seems that although their management fees are lower than HL, they start to charge for drawdown on a yearly basis once you want your money out.I've looked at the HL website & can't see any drawdown fees so have asked them about it. Overall, I'm not sure which is better value.
    Originally posted by cancunia
    Depends on your pot value, number of years until you go into drawdown and how long you plan to be in drawdown for.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 7th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    It's true there are a lot of variables to weigh. HL have just confirmed that there are no charges for Drawdown so while Bestinvest may be cheaper upfront, they will cost £100 per year or more to get your money back out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin