Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Son staying on in sixth form and CTC and CA (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Son staying on in sixth form and CTC and CA
Closed Thread
Views: 3,572
# 1
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 6:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Son staying on in sixth form and CTC and CA

Son has a guaranteed place in sixth form, he is aiming for a levels but has been told depending on gcse english he will either have to do another year gcse if does not obtain grade or will go straight into a levels. He is happy with either and will see how it goes.

I received letter showing that when son turns 16 which is end may that his part of CTC and CA will drop at end of the school year believe end july.

Who do I need to contact that he is staying on in education and when is appropriate time to do it, to ensure no break in payments and is it simple to get the payments reinstated?

Thankyou
# 2
DX2
Old 19-05-2011, 6:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by colacubes View Post
I received letter showing that when son turns 16 which is end may that his part of CTC and CA will drop at end of the school year believe end july.
CA, Do you mean CB (Child benefit)?
The Following User Says Thank You to DX2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 6:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes sorry CB
The Following User Says Thank You to colacubes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MsShorty
Old 19-05-2011, 7:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You should have received a letter from Child Benefit, asking if your child was continuing into further education, which you then return, so that your Child Benefit payments will continue.

As for Child Tax Credits, you can phone and inform HMRC and they will note the change on their system, so that payments can continue in September.

However, the computer does not update this change until 1st September, so this change will not show on any tax credits awards issued before this date.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsShorty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 7:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you I will ring both depts next week when he has turned 16 to update them as have received no letter saying i need to confirm anything

Just read my own post back and think I had better re read the original letter in case I missed the request to ring them. So no worries will be sorted either way and thanks.

Last edited by colacubes; 19-05-2011 at 7:52 AM.
# 6
munchings-n-crunchings
Old 19-05-2011, 9:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There CTC system doesn't recognise in advance that a child is staying on in full time education.

It's best, to cover yourself, to notify them that your son will be returning to school.
In case there is a change to that plan, the system will stop the claim and it's best to phone at the start of September to ensure it's restarted.
I found it to be quite smooth, with no noticable gap in payments.

CB will write to you for information, and you just need to call and advise them of what he is doing, and confirm the name and address of the school etc.

Regards
Munchie
# 7
no-oneknowsme
Old 19-05-2011, 9:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Op , I was in your situation last year when my Daughter was remaining in education. Child benefit office send out a letter to ask if the child intends to remain in eduation and it is just a matter of filling the form in to say that they are intending to stay. This was hassle free and payments continued without any disruption at all.

Tax credits are a different matter. Regardless of whether you inform them that your child will be remaining in education BEFORE 1st September , they CANNOT process this info before then so you MUST ring tco on 1st September to tell them again that your child has stayed on.

You will have a disruption in your payments to take this into account. There will be (at least) 1 week were you do not receive ctc for your child who is going back to education so please be aware of this. It came as a total shock to me when I only received HALF the amount of ctc that I usually received!

It took 2 weeks for my payments to return to normal and there was a thread running on this very topic last year as many of us were very confused as we were without money for 2 weeks whilst oiur claim was restarted yet we didnt get the money paid back (for me I was down 100 per week as that particular child was also receiving the disability premium of tc's) , tco simply spread those "missed" payments out over the rest of the year which meant that although I had been short 200 over the 2 weeks my payments only increased by 8 per week to pull my payments up to date!

Just be aware of this and budget accordingly for the weeks you will be short.
The loopy one has gone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to no-oneknowsme For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
nad1611
Old 19-05-2011, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-oneknowsme View Post
Op , I was in your situation last year when my Daughter was remaining in education. Child benefit office send out a letter to ask if the child intends to remain in eduation and it is just a matter of filling the form in to say that they are intending to stay. This was hassle free and payments continued without any disruption at all.

Tax credits are a different matter. Regardless of whether you inform them that your child will be remaining in education BEFORE 1st September , they CANNOT process this info before then so you MUST ring tco on 1st September to tell them again that your child has stayed on.

You will have a disruption in your payments to take this into account. There will be (at least) 1 week were you do not receive ctc for your child who is going back to education so please be aware of this. It came as a total shock to me when I only received HALF the amount of ctc that I usually received!

It took 2 weeks for my payments to return to normal and there was a thread running on this very topic last year as many of us were very confused as we were without money for 2 weeks whilst oiur claim was restarted yet we didnt get the money paid back (for me I was down 100 per week as that particular child was also receiving the disability premium of tc's) , tco simply spread those "missed" payments out over the rest of the year which meant that although I had been short 200 over the 2 weeks my payments only increased by 8 per week to pull my payments up to date!

Actually I informed CB first and then WTC, I had no breaks in any payments and I've been through this process 3 times now, so I don't know why you did.

I've had to ask different people at times what the procedures are for different things.For example, only this morning I was argued with by an officious young thing telling me that even if my husband started an occupational pension it wouldn't show up on his P60 in otherwords, he culd start a pension but they'd still take his full salary figure, he came back to me rather shamefaced saying I was right. It's always worth checking things out a couple of times, I find.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nad1611 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 10:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you will tell child benefit first and then ctc and then of course I have the csa paying for son so will ring them and inform them he is staying on at school to cover myself and then if have to re do ctc in september will be prepared either way.

Thanks
# 10
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 11:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Right just rang cbenefit and they have updated, they also were able to ask the questions relevant to pass the information direct to child tax credits also and told me would not hear from tax credits till september but would then be sent a new schedule. Got the impression that was all I needed to do

They said cbenefit letter on its way and ctc letter in september

Phew panic over
# 11
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Maybe thats how to get the continued payments as apposed to the break of one or two weeks, as in child benefit liase with them, heres hoping anyhow, just csa to go now.
# 12
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

CSA said dont worry and just ring them to confirm he is staying on in august as the payments cover september anyhow, but ring august to update. Fair enough.

Thanks for the advice.
# 13
SingleSue
Old 19-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:

Same experience here too for last year.....I was another who informed them prior to the 1st of Sept and then made sure with a follow up call at the beginning of September. There was a slight disruption in the payments (mine reduced) but it was all sorted out within a week or two and the payments went back to normal.

No idea if it will be the same rigmarole this year as he is staying in 6th form though....

Edit - I did inform child benefit too and was assured that there would be no reduction in payments from tax credits...but there was for one week.
Keep battling on, I will get there eventually..even if I don't know where there is! Now a degree student and a carer to 3 disabled sons! Eldests' diagnosis (4.5.10) is Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility type and now it looks like I have it too (13.1.11) eekk!
The Following User Says Thank You to SingleSue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Best we all keep an eye then on the payments as we will have done all we can
# 15
no-oneknowsme
Old 19-05-2011, 1:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OK....if you want to believe that you dont have to contact tco again in September then fine...dont do it....just please dont be posting here moaning when your ctc payments stop!

Trust me...tco CANNOT update your claim now to say that a child will be remaining in school!

Your award will end on 31st August. It is then up to you to ring up to restart the award to take into account that your child has remained in education.

Can someone please try to find the thread from last year and link it to show how many of us were without payment last year whilst we waited on our new awards.
The loopy one has gone
# 16
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well just incase, to protect myself, I recorded all the calls.
# 17
colacubes
Old 19-05-2011, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

[QUOTE=no-oneknowsme;43758834]OK....if you want to believe that you dont have to contact tco again in September then fine...dont do it....just please dont be posting here moaning when your ctc payments stop!

Hey there is no need to get offended. I was told that they were able to forward the information to ctc that would be requested to continue it, they volunteer to do it as said it was linked. I recorded the calls in any case as said.

I will put a little by just incase my payments are interupted and dont worry i wouldnt want to put any one out with perceived moaning
# 18
MsShorty
Old 19-05-2011, 5:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi. I went through this process 3 years ago when daughter stayed on in 6th form. I advised them around May and when the system updated after 1st September, after one week of reduced payments covering my other two children, the payments for my daughter continued.

Now going through same thing with my 16 year old son. When I renewed, I told them he is staying on in 6th Form in September and is it too early to notify them that my son will be staying in education. She said that she would update it on the system and then when the system updates after 1st September, this will be updated and a new award will be issued at this time, with the payments continuing for my son. Obviously I will ring them at the beginning of September, to check this has been updated. When I did this with my daughter, the change I notified them of in May was indeed on the system and was in process of updating at beginning of September.

Single Sue, my daughter stayed on in 6th form for 1 year and then college for 1 year. Once I had advised them that she was staying on in 6th form, the payments continued indefinitely until I told them that she had left full time education. I presume that this has not changed and that once you have advised them that your child is staying on in education, you merely then inform them when the child leaves. Your award should show if your payments will be changing at the end of this school year.

Hope this helps and I have not babbled on too much!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsShorty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
no-oneknowsme
Old 19-05-2011, 6:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

[QUOTE=colacubes;43759100]
Quote:
OK....if you want to believe that you dont have to contact tco again in September then fine...dont do it....just please dont be posting here moaning when your ctc payments stop!

Hey there is no need to get offended. I was told that they were able to forward the information to ctc that would be requested to continue it, they volunteer to do it as said it was linked. I recorded the calls in any case as said.

I will put a little by just incase my payments are interupted and dont worry i wouldnt want to put any one out with perceived moaning

Sorry Colacubes...it wasnt YOU I referring to...it was Nad.

They made a comment as if to say that I was lying when I said that there would be a disruption in tc payments.

Honestly , you may well have informed tco that your child intends to remain in education but I assure you , if you do not ring them back on the 1st Sept just to confirm that they actually DID remain in education then your award for that particular child WIL stop.
The loopy one has gone
The Following User Says Thank You to no-oneknowsme For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
nad1611
Old 19-05-2011, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

[QUOTE=colacubes;43759100]
Quote:

That's what I was thinking anyone would think you were suggesting he/she was lying.
I actually as a result of your thread phoned CB and they confirmed the receipt of info regarding my child and I then rang wto and told them and they said information is on the site and it will up date from 1st of Sept, to give time for me to inform them in case she decides to do something else and I asked if I needed to phone again and they said only if these plans change. I also asked if there would be a disruption or payments would cease, she said no not at all. So hopefully last year was a blip.
Anyway Cola you've already said you'll keep an eye out to be prepared. Glad you got it all worked out.
The Following User Says Thank You to nad1611 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread