Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mongmoney
    • By mongmoney 18th May 11, 11:54 AM
    • 174Posts
    • 1,009Thanks
    mongmoney
    Which Tom Tom?
    • 18th May 11, 11:54 AM
    Which Tom Tom? 18th May 11 at 11:54 AM
    I need a satnav and want to know which of the devices are best before i buy. Any of you really pleased with what you've got?
    Advice needed.
    Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th May 11, 12:15 PM
    • 10,602 Posts
    • 14,137 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 18th May 11, 12:15 PM
    • 18th May 11, 12:15 PM
    My TomTom is made by Garmin.

It's a high spec Nuvi, bought because it came with both European and US maps pre loaded. I'm very happy with it.

It's got loads of bells and whistles. Very few which I actually use. It sounds obvious, but I'd recommend working out what features you actually need before you decide on a particular model.
  • funkycoldribena
    • 18th May 11, 12:22 PM
    • 18th May 11, 12:22 PM
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    ??????????

Had a TT550 for a few months now with years free live traffic-cant fault it.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 18th May 11, 12:41 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    • 18th May 11, 12:41 PM
    • 18th May 11, 12:41 PM
    I run a Garmin, not quite as easy to use as the Tom Tom, but compared to car manufacturer fitted creations is simplicity itself.

Chose Garmin over Tom Tom because the traffic receiver is free for life, as i travel around 1500 miles a week that's of prime importance to me.
    • tgon
    • By tgon 18th May 11, 1:01 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    tgon
    • 18th May 11, 1:01 PM
    • 18th May 11, 1:01 PM
    I'm happy with my XL! I didnt need live updates, I dont travel to Europe or the US and the screen size and clarity is good. Its a notch above "basic".
    • wba31
    • By wba31 18th May 11, 3:08 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    wba31
    • 18th May 11, 3:08 PM
    • 18th May 11, 3:08 PM
    I had a tomtom that died a year ago after 2 1/2 years service. My father in law bought a garmin the same week i bought my tomtom,and his still works like it was new, and he uses his a lot more than i used mine. when i have some spare £££ i will be buying this model...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Widescreen-Traffic-Services-European/dp/B002NPC0P8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3QNVTT9ISM4GS&colid =MGN16UTU11G1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 18th May 11, 3:41 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 18th May 11, 3:41 PM
    • 18th May 11, 3:41 PM
    Just bought a Garmin Nuvi 2300 - for £90 it does everything I need.
    • wobbley
    • By wobbley 18th May 11, 3:51 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    wobbley
    • 18th May 11, 3:51 PM
    • 18th May 11, 3:51 PM
    This is great, never sends you down the wrong road !

Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 18th May 11, 4:24 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 1,902 Thanks
    Indout96
    • 18th May 11, 4:24 PM
    • 18th May 11, 4:24 PM
    I have both, a Tom Tom 300 which is 4 years old and a 2 year old garmin bought in the US when I "lost" my Tom Tom (it turned up later) of the 2 I far prefer the Tom Tom unit, its easier to use and seems to work better for re-routing however the garmin is a better shape for carrying when out of the car and its battery works unlike the Tom Tom which lasted about 6 months before it had to be wired in to work which is a pain.
    Speed cameras - never had a problem with the Tom Tom ones but garmin is a PITA pinging for camera zones rather than actual cameras.

I use mine in the UK and USA but not Europe and could not cope without then now LOL
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • bigjl
    • By bigjl 18th May 11, 5:56 PM
    • 5,703 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    bigjl
    I would.go for the cheapest widescreen one that i could find , i have bought two TomTom ones over the years and found them good.

One was fitted with an SD card and one was fitted with the internal memory.

The SD card one still worked fine but i can't find it. The one with the internal memory packed up.

I currently use a Navman, widescreen bought purely due to it having full euro maps and i couldn't find my Tomtom with the sd card as that had euro maps.

I still use the Navman as it has rds traffic. But it is not as good as a TomTom. Doesn't route aswell as a TomTom or reroute aswell either.

My next satnav will be a TomTom.

If you check the Police a lot of them use TomTom and Terrafix a system for despatching Ambulances also uses TomTom maps.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 18th May 11, 7:15 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    bengalknights
    Still on my go 720 here and its brilliant for what it does.
  • Scooby Doo.
    I would.go for the cheapest widescreen one that i could find , i have bought two TomTom ones over the years and found them good.

One was fitted with an SD card and one was fitted with the internal memory.

The SD card one still worked fine but i can't find it. The one with the internal memory packed up.

I currently use a Navman, widescreen bought purely due to it having full euro maps and i couldn't find my Tomtom with the sd card as that had euro maps.

I still use the Navman as it has rds traffic. But it is not as good as a TomTom. Doesn't route aswell as a TomTom or reroute aswell either.

My next satnav will be a TomTom.

If you check the Police a lot of them use TomTom have Sat Nav built into the ANPR and Terrafix a system for despatching Ambulances also uses TomTom maps.
    Originally posted by bigjl
    Fixed that for someone who thinks he knows everything about the police but doesn't.
  • 2sides2everystory
    TomTom came with my Windows mobile phone which is 4 years old and I haven't found the need to buy a thing since. Got me across Europe easily enough earlier this year, too.

I shan't be buying anything different anytime soon either phone or satnav wise I reckon
    • Mark Hewitt
    • By Mark Hewitt 20th May 11, 10:24 AM
    • 2,079 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    Mark Hewitt
    I have an iPhone 4 with TomTom and it's excellent! You get free regular map updates too.
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 20th May 11, 11:30 AM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    thelawnet
    I need a satnav and want to know which of the devices are best before i buy. Any of you really pleased with what you've got?
    Advice needed.
    Mongy
    Originally posted by mongmoney
    Get one with internet connectivity - the traffic service is MUCH better than the standard), and the fuel prices search should pay for the cost over a year.

The new Garmin nuLink 2300 series looks good, but it's not out till next Friday and presumably prices will drop below RRP after that. Otherwise there is the Garmin 1695, which has a large screen. I wouldn't buy the 1690 at this point, due to slight feature deficit.

TomTom are pretty good, the current Go Live 1000 series and Via series have the features you need, though some people have complained about lack of support for downloadable POIs, but IMO with internet connectivity this is less important - at any rate the Go 550/750/950 are still excellent.
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 21st May 11, 2:34 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    Very unlikely - TomTom and Garmin are competitors, both of whom make GPS-based navigation systems.

Or are you using "TomTom" as a generic name for sat nav devices (just like some people incorrectly think that all speed cameras are "Gatsos", and all vacuum cleaners are "Hoovers")?
    Philip
  • sharpy2010
    Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying "My McDonalds is made by Burgerking".

Your satellite navigation device is made by Garmin. A TomTom can only be made by TomTom themselves.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 21st May 11, 8:40 AM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying "My McDonalds is made by Burgerking".

Your satellite navigation device is made by Garmin. A TomTom can only be made by TomTom themselves.
    Originally posted by sharpy2010
    I'm sure it was a joke
    • withabix
    • By withabix 21st May 11, 8:53 AM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    If you can find a good deal, go for a TomTom x50 series (last year's model, but much better prices than the current range and you get newest maps when you register it).
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • KillerWatt
    We have had both Garmin & TomTom, and the TomTom wins hands down every time IMHO.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,485Posts Today

7,973Users online

Martin's Twitter