IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Which Tom Tom?
Closed Thread
Views: 1,583
# 1
mongmoney
Old 18-05-2011, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Which Tom Tom?

I need a satnav and want to know which of the devices are best before i buy. Any of you really pleased with what you've got?
Advice needed.
Mongy
Jan GC 28-49/120 NSD's 15/17
Dec GC 90-90/140 NSD's 17/18
Storms make oaks take deeper root
# 2
Gloomendoom
Old 18-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My TomTom is made by Garmin.

It's a high spec Nuvi, bought because it came with both European and US maps pre loaded. I'm very happy with it.

It's got loads of bells and whistles. Very few which I actually use. It sounds obvious, but I'd recommend working out what features you actually need before you decide on a particular model.
# 3
funkycoldribena
Old 18-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomendoom View Post
??????????

Had a TT550 for a few months now with years free live traffic-cant fault it.
Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
# 4
gilbert and sullivan
Old 18-05-2011, 12:41 PM

I run a Garmin, not quite as easy to use as the Tom Tom, but compared to car manufacturer fitted creations is simplicity itself.

Chose Garmin over Tom Tom because the traffic receiver is free for life, as i travel around 1500 miles a week that's of prime importance to me.
# 5
tgon
Old 18-05-2011, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm happy with my XL! I didnt need live updates, I dont travel to Europe or the US and the screen size and clarity is good. Its a notch above "basic".
The Following User Says Thank You to tgon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
wba31
Old 18-05-2011, 3:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had a tomtom that died a year ago after 2 1/2 years service. My father in law bought a garmin the same week i bought my tomtom,and his still works like it was new, and he uses his a lot more than i used mine. when i have some spare i will be buying this model...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Wides...d=MGN16UTU11G1
# 7
daveyjp
Old 18-05-2011, 3:41 PM

Just bought a Garmin Nuvi 2300 - for 90 it does everything I need.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
# 8
wobbley
Old 18-05-2011, 3:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is great, never sends you down the wrong road !

Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
# 9
Indout96
Old 18-05-2011, 4:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have both, a Tom Tom 300 which is 4 years old and a 2 year old garmin bought in the US when I "lost" my Tom Tom (it turned up later) of the 2 I far prefer the Tom Tom unit, its easier to use and seems to work better for re-routing however the garmin is a better shape for carrying when out of the car and its battery works unlike the Tom Tom which lasted about 6 months before it had to be wired in to work which is a pain.
Speed cameras - never had a problem with the Tom Tom ones but garmin is a PITA pinging for camera zones rather than actual cameras.

I use mine in the UK and USA but not Europe and could not cope without then now LOL
Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
BHP is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
# 10
bigjl
Old 18-05-2011, 5:56 PM

I would.go for the cheapest widescreen one that i could find , i have bought two TomTom ones over the years and found them good.

One was fitted with an SD card and one was fitted with the internal memory.

The SD card one still worked fine but i can't find it. The one with the internal memory packed up.

I currently use a Navman, widescreen bought purely due to it having full euro maps and i couldn't find my Tomtom with the sd card as that had euro maps.

I still use the Navman as it has rds traffic. But it is not as good as a TomTom. Doesn't route aswell as a TomTom or reroute aswell either.

My next satnav will be a TomTom.

If you check the Police a lot of them use TomTom and Terrafix a system for despatching Ambulances also uses TomTom maps.
# 11
bengalknights
Old 18-05-2011, 7:15 PM

Still on my go 720 here and its brilliant for what it does.
# 12
Scooby Doo.
Old 19-05-2011, 11:32 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjl View Post
I would.go for the cheapest widescreen one that i could find , i have bought two TomTom ones over the years and found them good.

One was fitted with an SD card and one was fitted with the internal memory.

The SD card one still worked fine but i can't find it. The one with the internal memory packed up.

I currently use a Navman, widescreen bought purely due to it having full euro maps and i couldn't find my Tomtom with the sd card as that had euro maps.

I still use the Navman as it has rds traffic. But it is not as good as a TomTom. Doesn't route aswell as a TomTom or reroute aswell either.

My next satnav will be a TomTom.

If you check the Police a lot of them use TomTom have Sat Nav built into the ANPR and Terrafix a system for despatching Ambulances also uses TomTom maps.
Fixed that for someone who thinks he knows everything about the police but doesn't.
# 13
2sides2everystory
Old 19-05-2011, 11:41 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

TomTom came with my Windows mobile phone which is 4 years old and I haven't found the need to buy a thing since. Got me across Europe easily enough earlier this year, too.

I shan't be buying anything different anytime soon either phone or satnav wise I reckon
# 14
Mark Hewitt
Old 20-05-2011, 10:24 AM

I have an iPhone 4 with TomTom and it's excellent! You get free regular map updates too.
# 15
thelawnet
Old 20-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongmoney View Post
I need a satnav and want to know which of the devices are best before i buy. Any of you really pleased with what you've got?
Advice needed.
Mongy
Get one with internet connectivity - the traffic service is MUCH better than the standard), and the fuel prices search should pay for the cost over a year.

The new Garmin nuLink 2300 series looks good, but it's not out till next Friday and presumably prices will drop below RRP after that. Otherwise there is the Garmin 1695, which has a large screen. I wouldn't buy the 1690 at this point, due to slight feature deficit.

TomTom are pretty good, the current Go Live 1000 series and Via series have the features you need, though some people have complained about lack of support for downloadable POIs, but IMO with internet connectivity this is less important - at any rate the Go 550/750/950 are still excellent.
# 16
GabbaGabbaHey
Old 21-05-2011, 2:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Very unlikely - TomTom and Garmin are competitors, both of whom make GPS-based navigation systems.

Or are you using "TomTom" as a generic name for sat nav devices (just like some people incorrectly think that all speed cameras are "Gatsos", and all vacuum cleaners are "Hoovers")?
Philip
# 17
sharpy2010
Old 21-05-2011, 4:06 AM
PPR

Quote:
Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying "My McDonalds is made by Burgerking".

Your satellite navigation device is made by Garmin. A TomTom can only be made by TomTom themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpy2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Zandoni
Old 21-05-2011, 8:40 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpy2010 View Post
Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying "My McDonalds is made by Burgerking".

Your satellite navigation device is made by Garmin. A TomTom can only be made by TomTom themselves.
I'm sure it was a joke
# 19
withabix
Old 21-05-2011, 8:53 AM

If you can find a good deal, go for a TomTom x50 series (last year's model, but much better prices than the current range and you get newest maps when you register it).
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000
# 20
KillerWatt
Old 21-05-2011, 8:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have had both Garmin & TomTom, and the TomTom wins hands down every time IMHO.
Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerWatt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread