IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
thomson holiday in flight meals?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,074
# 1
WOW Factor 0
jhe
Old 17-05-2011, 6:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default thomson holiday in flight meals?

not sure if this has been mentioned but couldnt find any previous posts.
booked a holiday yesterday after pricing on thomson website rang travel agent who said they would better the price so booked it.
travel agent rang today to say thomson winter holidays2011/12 onwards no longer provide in flight meals as an optional extra and the website price including meals was a mistake.
not the end of the world i know, just wondered if anyone has booked including meals for winter holiday or summer 2012
# 2
stephb34
Old 17-05-2011, 6:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No if they have they'll be told like you they're not doing them anymore.
# 3
fawny
Old 18-05-2011, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,

We have a holiday booked with a Thomson flight next year & it said in the small print by the price that inflight meals were no longer availble for pre booking. It does say that they will have a range of meals to buy on the plane though, so might be better.
Married the man of my dreams - 10th September 2012, St Paul's Bay Lindos It was amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to fawny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
jonesMUFCforever
Old 18-05-2011, 6:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just flew Thomas Cook to / from Spain - it was total chaos with nobody knowing who had paid or not paid for inflight meals.
It was far more important for cabin staff to sell ''duty free goods'' than sort it out - thankfully I was one who did not pay for it and did not want it!
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 5
debi57
Old 16-07-2011, 7:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy

I too have booked a holiday with Thomsons for next year, July to Egypt. I was also told the same thing by my travel agent, no in flight meal! I am disappointed lol, because it's all part of the 'holiday experience' for me! Just another way of Thomson's etc cutting back & saving money, yet the holiday had gone up in price by nearly 25%! Typical!
The Following User Says Thank You to debi57 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
daveyjp
Old 16-07-2011, 9:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If it continues next year you can buy hot meals on the flight. A supermarket microwave meal in posh wrapping and all for about 6.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
# 7
stephb34
Old 17-07-2011, 8:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesMUFCforever View Post
Just flew Thomas Cook to / from Spain - it was total chaos with nobody knowing who had paid or not paid for inflight meals.
It was far more important for cabin staff to sell ''duty free goods'' than sort it out - thankfully I was one who did not pay for it and did not want it!
Does anyone buy duty free anymore on short haul as from what i've seen most of the stuff isnt any cheaper than in tesco, you can't buy fags which maybe cheaper but even the booze is cheaper in tesco.
# 8
jhe
Old 17-07-2011, 9:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if its short haul to europe you cant buy duty free. only if you travelling further afield.
# 9
stephb34
Old 17-07-2011, 9:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhe View Post
if its short haul to europe you cant buy duty free. only if you travelling further afield.

Theres more to duty free than fags and booze (in the brochure lol), ie perfume, gifts etc thats why id put you cant buy booze and fags on short haul.
# 10
steven3367
Old 18-07-2011, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default goto boots

we used to get the inflight meals then we seen sense one time and realised we were paying all that money for crap we know goto boots in the duty free and get the meal deal and take this on the plane
# 11
thegirlintheattic
Old 19-07-2011, 1:21 PM

Save your money and bring your own sandwiches.
# 12
NonGeographicalMan
Old 07-08-2011, 1:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlintheattic View Post
Save your money and bring your own sandwiches.
But sadly not your own drink as these are banned through security.

As all drinks cost 1 or often far more airside and the Boots Meal Deal comes with a drink as well as sandwich and crisps, chocolate bar or fruit pack its still a pretty good choice.

The most expensive Fruit smoothie that qualifies for the Meal (a Naked drinks one) costs 2.50 if purchased on its own. Your own sandwiches might still be worth it for a large family group but not usually for a single person after all the extra hassle involved in making them.
# 13
interstellaflyer
Old 07-08-2011, 1:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by debi57 View Post
I too have booked a holiday with Thomsons for next year, July to Egypt. I was also told the same thing by my travel agent, no in flight meal! I am disappointed lol, because it's all part of the 'holiday experience' for me! Just another way of Thomson's etc cutting back & saving money, yet the holiday had gone up in price by nearly 25%! Typical!
As we generally get early flights the in flight meal is essential and we've ever had anything you would call bad or unedible so I'm very disapointed by this, on their website they say it's because they have listened to their customers, rubbish, more like they can make more money by selling snacks on the flight, I would bet they haven't reduced the cost of the flight/holiday accordingly. We normally go Thomas Cook but due to the amount of deposit required we ended up with Tompson this year, probably a bit of a mistake as they seem expensive for extras, we enquired about airport hotel and parking, last year TC sorted this for us at a cost of 85, we asked Thomson to do the same this year, same hotel, they wanted near 200, I booked it independantly for 89 so close to what I paid TC last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to interstellaflyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
pattycake
Old 07-08-2011, 5:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have just come back from Egypt travelling with Thomson. We paid 15 each for the in-flight meals in total. What a waste of money. They were vile. We decided to get the meal as we did not fly from Hurghada until 20.30 so thought we would be very hungry. They did not actually serve the meal until nearly 22.30 and then it was sausages! Yuk.

We are going to Gran Canaria next week also with Thomson. We are not having the meals this time.
# 15
Bob the Saver
Old 07-08-2011, 6:13 PM
PPR

"Passengers are welcome to bring their own food onboard" on Ryanair
# 16
cbrookes
Old 07-08-2011, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Saver View Post
"Passengers are welcome to bring their own food onboard" on Ryanair
If they can sneek it past security lol
# 17
Bob the Saver
Old 07-08-2011, 7:44 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookes View Post
If they can sneek it past security lol
I never have a problem, do you try and take soup of custard?
# 18
cbrookes
Old 07-08-2011, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Saver View Post
I never have a problem, do you try and take soup of custard?
No, I never take anything but I know a few who have had stuff taken off them but must admit its normally drink now I think about it. I dont like carrying more than I have to and can cope without food and drink on short haul flights, if not I generally pay a few quid for the vip lounge as its also generally alot less stressful than the main lounge (especially during busy holiday times)
# 19
givememoney
Old 07-08-2011, 8:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We are going to Italy in September and booked with a travel company and it states `meal included` so we expect one.

Having said for a fairly short flight in some ways it is better off without one as they take ages to clear away and you are left trapped in your seat until they dispose of the rubbish.
# 20
Bob the Saver
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
PPR

It is a well know fact that as soon as anyone sits down on a plane they have a very strong desire to do two things without delay.

A. Go for a p*ss (even though they've just sat in the airport for 2 hours)
B. Eat a meal (even though they've just sat in the airport for 2 hours)

The shorter the flight, the stronger the desire - it's a well known fact!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob the Saver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread