Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 14
    • suzanne martin72
    • By suzanne martin72 3rd Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suzanne martin72
    Transfer of Policy
    Pet Insurance with PAH can only be in one persons name (even when you live as a couple)
    I have split with my partner and i have kept one of our dogs (my dog has a condtion for life, regular claims are made)
    Insurance is with Pets at Home Lifetime cover
    Does any one know how i get the policy transferd to my name??
    As i am struggling to get the cheques that have been issued to my ex from PAH him even though i have paid the vets he isnt giving me the money back

Thank you
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 3rd Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber
    Pet Insurance with PAH can only be in one persons name (even when you live as a couple)
    I have split with my partner and i have kept one of our dogs (my dog has a condtion for life, regular claims are made)
    Insurance is with Pets at Home Lifetime cover
    Does any one know how i get the policy transferd to my name??
    As i am struggling to get the cheques that have been issued to my ex from PAH him even though i have paid the vets he isnt giving me the money back

Thank you
    Originally posted by suzanne martin72
    Have you contacted the insurance company to explain the situation.
    • suzanne martin72
    • By suzanne martin72 3rd Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suzanne martin72
    Hi

Yes i spoke with them they wanted me to get a new quote and a letter from the current policy holder i thought it odd to need a new quote, wondered if anyone else has experience of transferring policy. As my pet has a pre existing medical condition i dont want to go ahead without a little more knowledge first.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber
    If asking for a new quote I would be suspicious that it will be treated as a new policy and exclude pre existing conditions.

If you only spoke to the call centre can you ask to speak to the underwriter as they make the decisions.

I know with Petplan you can speak to an underwriter if you want to confirm about pre existing being covered but I don't know about the underwriters for PAH Insurance.

It might be worth a try.
    • grainy
    • By grainy 8th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    grainy
    Looking to get pet insurance for my puppy. Animal friends are listed on the comparison sites including doginsurancecompare.co.uk, anyone have any experience of using them? Thank you
    Katie
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 9th Oct 16, 1:25 AM
    • 10,535 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    gettingready
    Please google Animal Friends and pay attention to people who actually tried to claim. There is a lot of glowing reviews from people who took up that insurance praising price, customer service etc but a lot of pretty bad ones from people who actually tried to claim. Like here:

http://www.petinsurancereview.co.uk/animal_friends.asp
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 9th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    Most of the bad reviews seem to be from people that haven't read the policy. And that is the most important thing. There are some terms in their policy I wouldn't be happy with but that's just my take on it. If you are happy with them then they are no different to anyone else in terms of claiming. But whatever policy you choose you should always read the policy first. The website you mentioned also has a link to a Buyer's Guide, which is the best explanation of pet insurance I've ever seen. I suggest you read it before going further.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber
    If it is important to you that your vet can claim direct ,rather than you paying the bill then claiming the money back, check with your vet what companies they will accept a direct claim for.

They may not be prepared to claim from some companies.

My last vet would only claim direct from Petplan.

Do not delay in taking out the insurance as there is a an introductory exclusion period, ofter 2 weeks, when any condition arising during that time will be excluded and will be considered a pre existing condition in future. So something like a simple upset tummy could to a lifelong exclusion of all stomach issues.

Always check the underwriters for the company as one in particular has a reputation for avoiding paying out.

Remember cheap policies can be cheap for a reason.
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 9th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 10,535 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    gettingready
    then they are no different to anyone else in terms of claiming.
    Originally posted by PhiltheBear

But they are. I never heard of any other insurer putting an inclusion at renewal on ALL legs following a problem with one on a life time policy when the problem with the one leg happened when a dog was already insured. Or putting exclusion on renewal for both eyes for a cat who had a problem with one - again life time policy when problem with the one eye happened while the cat was insured.

Lifetime policies should not have exclusions added to them while the issue happened when a pet was already insured and I know that AnimalFriends have done it many times in the past.

I have 4 cats insured with PetPlan and a dog insured with Argos - all on 7k lifetime policies and few vets that I have used, including referral vets were always happy to do direct claim from both companies. That is very important if you are faced with a massive bill. Check with your own vet which insurance companies are they happy to do direct claims with. None of the vets I have used would do a direct claim with Animal Friends.
    Last edited by gettingready; 09-10-2016 at 1:20 PM.
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 10th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    Which is precisely why I said to read the policy. If you have a lifetime policy they CANNOT change the policy - but if it's already there then you only have yourself to blame if you don't read it. I originally said "There are some terms in their policy I wouldn't be happy with". Other people may be happy with that - I, personally, wouldn't.

When I said that they are no different to claims what I meant was that they will have almost identical claim processes to any other pet insurance, which may mean getting full vet history etc.
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 12th Oct 16, 1:20 AM
    • 10,535 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    gettingready
    Which is precisely why I said to read the policy. If you have a lifetime policy they CANNOT change the policy - but if it's already there then you only have yourself to blame if you don't read it. I originally said "There are some terms in their policy I wouldn't be happy with". Other people may be happy with that - I, personally, wouldn't.

When I said that they are no different to claims what I meant was that they will have almost identical claim processes to any other pet insurance, which may mean getting full vet history etc.
    Originally posted by PhiltheBear

I do not think you actually read my post properly. AF DID change lifetime policies and put exclusions it at renevals and those were not preexisting conditions.

I never used them but know people who got caught with their useless policies.

I have a dog with Argos Platinum (just jumped from 140 to 197 per month) and 4 cats with Petplan
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 13th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    If any company offering lifetime policies attempts to exclude a condition that it has previously accepted and does so because it was claimed against then it should be referred to the Financial Ombudsman. A lifetime policy is a contract which is renewable every year under the same conditions. However, I am well aware that AF has exclusions such as all legs if one leg has a problem, which is why I wouldn't use them. What they cannot do is introduce such an exclusion if it wasn't there before. Their website clearly says: "Our Lifetime policies for pets will also provide cover for veterinary fees you incur if your pet has an accident or falls ill. Lifetime means that any one illness or condition is covered year after year up to a limit per condition that ‘refreshes’ annually upon renewal."

However, tucked away in their terms and conditions is: "
    When inviting renewal of this policy we may, at our sole discretion (and for a valid reason as we deem appropriate, taking into consideration,but not limited to your pet’s age, medical and/or claims history) change the cover, benefits, premium, terms and/or conditions "

I believe that if they invoke that under a lifetime policy the FO would squash them. (And the FO has squashed them before).

(I have no idea why the text sizes have changed )
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber
    Petplan state]

Changes at renewal:
    a) When we offer further periods of insurance we may
    change the premium, excesses and policy Terms and Conditions
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 13th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 10,535 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    gettingready
    As I said - personally I would have nothing to do with Animal Friends as I know of quite a few people they have completely *^&^& over by doing exactly what you said they "can not do"
    • kirkn99
    • By kirkn99 14th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kirkn99
    NCI Price gouging again
    Just a heads up for any remaining NCI users who came across from AXA. We just got our latest renewal through and it looks like NCI are at it again.

We have an eight year old Labrador who had cruciate surgery on both rear legs during 2014 so we’re not expecting things to be cheap but our prices with NCI have gone from £535 in 2014, £607 in 2015 to an eye watering £1872 in our latest renewal letter

Obviously I’ve complained (couldn’t use Resolva website as NCI Pet not recognised) so will see what response we get but I would advise anyone looking for insurance to avoid NCI Pet if you’re not stuck with them like we are
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber
    Just a heads up for any remaining NCI users who came across from AXA. We just got our latest renewal through and it looks like NCI are at it again.

We have an eight year old Labrador who had cruciate surgery on both rear legs during 2014 so we’re not expecting things to be cheap but our prices with NCI have gone from £535 in 2014, £607 in 2015 to an eye watering £1872 in our latest renewal letter

Obviously I’ve complained (couldn’t use Resolva website as NCI Pet not recognised) so will see what response we get but I would advise anyone looking for insurance to avoid NCI Pet if you’re not stuck with them like we are
    Originally posted by kirkn99

My dog had a cruciate repair in 2014 with AXA. She is 7 year old crossbreed.

Annual Premium for 2015/16 was £313.29. Renewed it for 2016/17 at 31 August and annual premium is £259.63.

It's the first time I have known a premium go down but I am not complaining.
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 16th Oct 16, 1:50 AM
    • 10,535 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    gettingready
    Lucky you.

Zara had both hips done, both cruciates too - insurance just went up from 140.00 per MONTH to 197.00 per MONTH.

But she is 10 yo now, got to keep it.
    • Kinski
    • By Kinski 16th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    Kinski

Originally posted by kirkn99
    They did the same with me in April when I got my 9 year old Sheltie's renewal through, he'd had 2 lumps (they were fatty lumps ) and a sebaceous cyst removed all in one op but nci took it as three separate claims, his renewal went up from about £800 to £1900, I phoned them and they offered me continuous cover for 4 grand instead of the 7 and at approx what I paid last year. I felt I had no choice but to take the 4 grands worth of cover. My other dog an 8 year old Bichon had a cancerous lump removed last year but her renewal hardly went up at all so she's still got the 7 grands worth of cover.
    • Lizby
    • By Lizby 19th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizby
    Bit of a learning curve I wanted to share. Got our first dog last year and insured through Sainsbury's but renewal was so expensive, despite never claiming, decided to shop around and opted for Pets @ Home which was half the price for the same cover. BUT BE WARNED - your pet is NOT covered for the first 14 days of any new policy for illness or injury. Stupidly I didn't register this fact as with any other insurance it just continues on from the previous cover expiry date. I understand a company needs to protect themselves from fraudulent claims but surely if you have an existing policy they could provide a continuation. Seems the only way you can do this is to buy an additional 14 days of cover each time you choose to shop around for a new policy? Wish MSE could look into this as it doesn't seem fair?
    • owlet
    • By owlet 20th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    owlet
    Bit of a learning curve I wanted to share. Got our first dog last year and insured through Sainsbury's but renewal was so expensive, despite never claiming, decided to shop around and opted for Pets @ Home which was half the price for the same cover. BUT BE WARNED - your pet is NOT covered for the first 14 days of any new policy for illness or injury. Stupidly I didn't register this fact as with any other insurance it just continues on from the previous cover expiry date. I understand a company needs to protect themselves from fraudulent claims but surely if you have an existing policy they could provide a continuation. Seems the only way you can do this is to buy an additional 14 days of cover each time you choose to shop around for a new policy? Wish MSE could look into this as it doesn't seem fair?
    Originally posted by Lizby

It seems almost all companies have the 14 day exclusion period. If you are switching then you need to start the new policy 14 days before the old one runs out. That way you will get continuous cover.
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

6,083Users online

Martin's Twitter