IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheapest place to buy malarone?
Views: 144,665
# 1
WOW Factor 0
nippy26
Old 26-02-2005, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Cheapest place to buy malarone?

Hi,

I need to buy 21 tablets(for each of the 5 members of my wedding party) within the next few weeks - anyone any idea of the cheapest place to get them?? Have been quoted 3 in local pharmacy and have seen them online for 2.25 per tablet. Anyone do any better than that?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Party_Animal
Old 26-02-2005, 7:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In Telegraph Travel today. I think Boots online was the cheapest.
# 3
SallyD
Old 26-02-2005, 8:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Cheapest place to buy Malarone

Boots Online was 2.10 per tablet when I last looked on the site. I have been quoted 2.86 in store and 2.50,2.40 and 3 at other chemists. I have not ordered them yet, but I think you have to give them the prescription number before they will send them.
SallyD
# 4
baffcat
Old 27-02-2005, 12:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Yahoo to baffcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippy26
Hi,

I need to buy 21 tablets(for each of the 5 members of my wedding party) within the next few weeks - anyone any idea of the cheapest place to get them?? Have been quoted 3 in local pharmacy and have seen them online for 2.25 per tablet. Anyone do any better than that?
Hi

We (a family of 4) went to Zambia last year, and after a nasty experience with Larium for my wife last visit, were advised to use Malarone by our GP. We looked around for quite a while, and eventaully bought it (29 tabs per person, if I recall correctly) from:

http://www.travelpharm.co.uk

I can't remember how much we paid, but it was by far the cheapest we found, no carriage (registered) and the guy there was extremely helpful. We also bought a couple of mossie nets.

Enjoy your trip. We found Malarone to be better than anything else we've tried over the past ten years.

Baff
Exclamation and question marks - ONE exclamation mark or question mark is sufficient to exclaim or ask about something. More than one just makes you look/sound like a prat.
Should OF, would OF
. Dear oh dear. You really should have, or should've listened at school when that nice English teacher was explaining how words get abbreviated.
The Following User Says Thank You to baffcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
nippy26
Old 27-02-2005, 1:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Many thanks to you all - boots online it is then....saving 18.90 each..
# 6
lenny
Old 22-06-2006, 8:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,there are three of us going to kenya ,Tablets are expensive enough,but we also need a private perscription each ! any moneysavers know a way round this?
# 7
gentlepurr
Old 22-06-2006, 9:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i got our tablets from the dispesary at the gp's surgery, at the suggestion of the nurse, and didnt have a prescription, but she did write it down on a leaflet for us, so, just a thought, but if you have a "holiday clinic" at your surgery, the evening they set aside for hol jabs etc, maybe your nurse would do the same? prob is then, you will probably be resricted to where you can purchase from.

for reference, i paid £68 for 30 tablets. have to say though, they were far and away better than the cheaper alternatives out there.

hth

xx
"It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
# 8
Alikay
Old 22-06-2006, 11:21 AM

I bought them last week at Asda pharmacy - £2.20 per tablet. Had to get a private prescription from GP.
If you need Typhoid/Hep A jabs, some GP's do them free (ours did!)
# 9
weejenny
Old 22-06-2006, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Do check at your local surgery as many sell them cheaper than elsewhere, ours is far away cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Also some Dr's charge for a private prescription just depends on your Dr.
# 10
Bathsheba
Old 24-06-2006, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You can also try www.stratford-pharmacy.co.uk. Malarone is 2.12 per tablet, and the service is quick. Fortunately my GP doesn't charge me for the script.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
# 11
hotly
Old 24-10-2008, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Boots online are still currently the cheapest. No P&P. But you obviously have to register with them and, give your script No. This is easy and they're 2.10 per tablet. The big thing for me is that you know what you are getting...!
# 12
drhelen
Old 30-12-2008, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

bots.com still the cheapest with a two week script 48pp, lloyds ere by far the most expensive at 74!
# 13
CookieMon
Old 30-12-2008, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Also remember if looking to buy specifically on the high street to ask around best price. A lot of pharmacists have a bit of discretion on the price and can tweak it slightly, some don't though. Can't hurt to ask, independents tend to have more say than not
Comping since 08 - Bring it on 2012!!
# 14
welshnige
Old 30-12-2008, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Firstly if its a private script then tell your Doc that if you are going for one week then double it up so you only pay for one private prescription. Secondly, ask your Doctor if you can take Doxycycline instead, this is available on NHS prescription, is an anti malaria, cures travels tum and apparantley also a dose of the clap The first time the wife and I took these we did notice the warning of "do not sit in the sun" or something similar but after talking to someone who writes those nice little leaflets you get in your tablets we were told that if someone has a reaction to them in any way shape or form then they have to write it up, LOL the missus said she took a paracetamol and ended up pregnant and wanted to know why they hadnt wrote that in their leaflet
The Following User Says Thank You to welshnige For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Amys
Old 30-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Some in store Tesco pharmacies have it at a good price, we paid 2.00 per tablet. You need to call around. Get the GPO to check, as in some areas Doxy may not be effective as there has been a resistance built up to it.
# 16
garethowen
Old 31-12-2008, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Comparison of prices

drhelen, just checked online and i'm not sure where you're getting your prices, Boots.com has malarone at 2.10 per tablet and lloydspharmacy.com at 2.16 per tablet - this isn't as far apart as your suggested two week costs...

bathsheba - stratford pharmacy seems now to be quoting 2.18.

I guess you've got to keep your eye on these prices....

Last edited by garethowen; 31-12-2008 at 5:15 PM.
# 17
Voyager2002
Old 31-12-2008, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshnige View Post
Firstly if its a private script then tell your Doc that if you are going for one week then double it up so you only pay for one private prescription. Secondly, ask your Doctor if you can take Doxycycline instead, this is available on NHS prescription, is an anti malaria, cures travels tum and apparantley also a dose of the clap The first time the wife and I took these we did notice the warning of "do not sit in the sun" or something similar but after talking to someone who writes those nice little leaflets you get in your tablets we were told that if someone has a reaction to them in any way shape or form then they have to write it up, LOL the missus said she took a paracetamol and ended up pregnant and wanted to know why they hadnt wrote that in their leaflet
Board rules do not allow us to give medical advice, and this post demonstrates the reason for this policy!

I do agree, Malarone is not the only anti-malarial, and your doctor can advise on cheaper alternatives. I would certainly not recommend a particular treatment to someone whom I have never met! The choice depends on where you are going and on your medical history, as well as personal preference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Voyager2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
welshnige
Old 31-12-2008, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry mate, wasnt giving medical advice as im not a doctor hence im logged in as welshnige and not Dr welshnige and I also put ASK YOUR DOCTOR indicating a suggestion and not medical adivce. Im only speaking from experience and trying to offer a cheaper alternative for the person posting as I thought this was a moneysaving website, my mistake
The Following User Says Thank You to welshnige For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Mick 12
Old 09-03-2009, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cheapest place for Malarone

I spent hours looking for the cheapest as they do cost a fortune i was told Tesco and you get points oh yes i needed 46 tablets for two people for two weeks,64.00 each prescription,128.00 .The best place is TRAVELPHARM type it in google ,101 .20p.free postage happy hols

Last edited by Mick 12; 09-03-2009 at 8:55 PM.
# 20
sunshine6650
Old 23-08-2009, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi everyone, i have just bought 24 Malarone - Malarone 250mg + 100mg for 7.20!!! from Boots on line!
Free delivery as well. just 14.40 for both of us, gotta post prescription to a free post address! x
2010 is my DO IT year! grow own bits,savvy shopping,organised!!Get a hobby!!! be fit!! be happy!!
Saving all change & paying off debts!!
constantly looking to save money!!! all help needed!!