Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tinktay84
    • By tinktay84 10th May 11, 10:25 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 948Thanks
    tinktay84
    Millionaire Challenge
    • 10th May 11, 10:25 PM
    Millionaire Challenge 10th May 11 at 10:25 PM
    I sat pondering on what ive achieved in my 27 years and realised that anything ive ever said I wanted to do or wanted to have I have managed to achieve.

Last year after 10 years in catering I completely changed career and last week I achieved a distinction in painting and decorating. This got me thinking that since I always achieve goals I set myself what could I do next....

Thus the Millionaire challenge!

So phase 1 is opening a savings account and getting money building up...

I work for myself so have a bit of control over my earnings, we have 1 property that we rent out and my husband has a decent (secure) job.

My aim is to get to the million mark by the age of 40 (im 27 now)

So how many of you think im mad and its impossible and how many of you think i'll do it and have ideas to help me
Page 191
    • Muhren
    • By Muhren 30th Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    Muhren
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas and have a fruitful 2018 ahead!

Checking in with a NW of £175K. I am going to set myself an end of year target for 2018 of £200k, which to be honest is going to be a bit of a stretch, but hopefully I can get there if my returns are good.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• brila
    • By brila 30th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    brila
    Not counting the house we live in, NW is currently £45.4k. Would like to get this to £125k by the end of of 2018. I am going for a two-pronged attack of slashing outgoings (which have crept up since last money goal was met) and increasing income. Looking to max out S&S ISAs, squirrel all those bits and bobs (cashback etc.) away (instead of them being absorbed by general spending account). I have set up the chip app and hope to get the interest rate up to 5%. Will keep reading thread from the start for ideas!
    On a mission.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 30th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    try harder
    Thank you lessonlearned for your great advice and thanks to everyone else for all the help you give and motivation .Heres hoping for more of the same.Happy New Year to all
    • try harder
    • By try harder 30th Dec 17, 9:40 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    try harder
    Net worth is £98,000 including home December 2017
    • By 0511034 31st Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Hi All,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, it has been a busy month. I'm really glad everyone is doing so well. I hope you all have a wonderful New Years celebrations and LessonLearned I hope you have a wonderful (and well deserved) break!

A quick update from me I will be changing jobs in mid January, being a lecturer just wasn't for me so I am going back to practice law as a solicitor which is better money and whilst longer hours and more stressful, it is much more inside my comfort zone. My net worth at present is £120,450 but that is mainly equity in my home and a little savings.

I think New Years for me is a great time to take stock of things and set myself goals for 2018. I saw a few people list goals and statements to live by in 2018 earlier in the thread which is a great idea. For me I plan to do the following:

• Conduct a full financial check of my outgoings and research areas for cut back and reductions (completion by end of Jan 2018)
    • Research ideas for a second income stream that ideally will be online (so available 24/7) (Target by end of 2018 to have made at least £12,000)
    • Research investment streams - I don't invest any money as I'm too cautious but realise this is the only way I can grow exponentially. (Completion by end of Jan 2018)
    • Learn a new language (End of Dec 2018)
    • Lose weight and tone up (Ongoing)
    • Save 30% of my salary per month (Ongoing)
    As January is going to be a very busy month I am going to start getting prepared now. Thank you for all of your motivations in 2017, I hope you all have a wonderful day and evening and a fantastic start to 2018.

Raj
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 31st Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    On the last day of 2017 NW is 100K give or take a few pounds.
    Plan for the coming year is to get this business off the ground and flying. Current income - zilch.
    The dilemma is where do I find the time to get a paying job when I'm so busy trying to get the business going?

Good luck for 2018 everybody, I hope my figure is a great deal higher this time next year. I turn 50 in 2018 and I feel that clock ticking, no longer own a home or have salary paying into a pension which is nerve-wracking, but... I think I'd rather live in a tent somewhere than have stayed in my soul destroying, life sucking relationship that made me miserable, poor and on the verge of alcoholism (stress relief)

If 2017 was about making changes, 2018 is about consolidation.

Let's do it!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 31st Dec 17, 3:11 PM
    • 9,542 Posts
    • 59,028 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Some great plans and ideas there.

I have just been sorting out what clothes I’m taking.......6 weeks, 3 seasons and no washing machine. plus all the usual OTC “just in case”, meds, toiletries etc. Yes I can buy them on board but the shop on the ship would charge the Earth just for a pack of paracetamol or a bottle of sun tan lotion so best to stock up.

Anyway heres wishing you all a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Good luck with all your plans.

I’ll catch up with you all at the end of February, unless I get eaten by crocodiles or pirhanas......
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 1st Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    crv1963
    Happy New Year to all!

Rough estimate of current worth-

House Equity- 85k
    NHS Pension- 340k
    AVC- 6.25k
    Wife Pension Pot- 22k
    Wife Nest Pot- 2.5k
    Cash Savings- c 3k

Total worth- £458.75k, good grief it looks enormous written down but less debt other than mortgage it's £455k. So our target is to build up £345k over the next 8 years! Then if we meet that and haven't died trying we'll retire totally and aim to slowly save or build up another 200k to reach the million!

Plan for 2018- take the NHS Pension and us both to have a change in career direction to build a fund each to cover the equivalent of our SP so around at 16k pa need a fund of around 160k to draw on for the 10 year gap between NHS retirement and SP starting. Aim for 2018 is to build 24k pot. This needs to be spread between SIPP, ISA, cash and probably Premium Bonds.

Good luck to all in their endeavours in 2018!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • minxy-x
    • By minxy-x 4th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    minxy-x
    Heeeellllloooooo
    Hey everyone
    I have been MIA for around 4 months, crazy how time fly's!

I am now sat at home with a stinking cold feeling sorry for myself so though I would log on and catch up!

LL
    Congrats on your future grandchild!

Our recent business has gone through and doing really great, have also been re fitting some areas of the building and more to do, so things have been full on.
    Looking into another 2 serious business options at the moment (as in we will go through with both if able) to hopefully go through by the end of the first quarter 2018.

My product is still in development have been working on packaging concepts now so its all very exciting!

Well done all, keep going with your dreams, hope 2018 is a great year for you in all aspects!!!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 4th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 9,542 Posts
    • 59,028 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Well Iím all packed, set off on Saturday. Excited now.....

See you all when I get back.
    • Broken Biscuits
    • By Broken Biscuits 4th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Broken Biscuits
    Nice to hear everyone is getting on so well, the place where I work is all doom and gloom I have to admit (I have a habit of getting life stories out of people oops lol) so it's nice to come here and here the postives and know it can be done as long as we dare to dream. I have one guy touching 60's telling me my degree will be worthless because computers are going to take over but then I'm doing a computing degree so it's so backwards even if he is right about computers taking over it just would create more jobs in my industry...but there is no getting through to some people.
    Originally posted by Kayalana99
    Just put £2100 into pictet’s robotics fund. If the robots take my job in a few years, hopefully the Companies this fund invests in will have done well and i’m Less concerned about being laid off. 30% returns each year for the last couple of years. I’ve got the majority of my money in pretty vanilla, safety first funds so why not take a few gambles with a small percent of what’s left.

Found another free app.. this one is just a tracker for spending. Pretty basic but has been working for me. It seems if you monitor it, it improves. Filling in my numbers each day this week for everything I spend has seen me save a little more even down to walking home ( 1 hour walk) and saving on the £2 bus fair each night. I don’t know if I’m ready and awake enough yet to walk in as well as walking home each day. We shall see.

If I stick to the budget I’ve set I will have a 60% savings rate! I’m under budget so far in the first week so it will be interesting to see how high I can get this percentage up to.

Had a count up today and the stock market has been kind. I’m now just £200 above what is needed to be considered 1/6th of a millionaire. Bring on 1/5th!!
    Last edited by Broken Biscuits; 06-01-2018 at 2:22 PM.
    • PoorGuyNextDoor
    • By PoorGuyNextDoor 8th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    PoorGuyNextDoor
    Happy New Year everyone! Had the first week of the the year without sitting on sites like this too much!

Iv got my budget down to a tee now, just need The work to come in and il be smashing 2018. All my goals set and plans in place just got to keep motivated and keep working hard at it! Good times ahead I’m sure hope most of you are sticking around for 2018 as this is a brilliant thread.
    Can now be found in the Millionaire Challenge thread
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 17th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Hey guys how is everyone getting on?

Nothing much going on here, on holiday and can't sleep (must be used to the late nights now) so doing some studying (kind of...Hi!) but it's been really quiet on here lately.

Any news ?

Personally once I get back it will be time to really start getting my head down.... we had the house sale, then Xmas rolled shortly after (and a crazy busy period at work I was over worked) and then we had this holiday over our heads financially...don't get me wrong enjoying every min but it will be nice to not have anything 'big' to spend money on for the near future!

My diet was going well but has gone to pot being on holiday, but so be it I'll be back on it Monday till my birthday in April...got a plan to stick to after all!

Still behind on the degree but I have an essay due a week today and I'm about 4 weeks behind on that module...I literally have to catch up ASAP...I've always worked well to tight deadlines so wish me luck.... because once I'm sorted with this essay in theory I should be caught up as I'm on track with my other module, then things should really start easing up!

Hakuna Matata
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • Muhren
    • By Muhren 18th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    Muhren
    Well the year hasn't gotten off to a good start financially as I booked a flight to New York off the back of the weekly email, I've never been so really looking forward to it. I have also had a mate come round to price up installing a new bathroom for me, still waiting to hear back but hopefully it won't be too much.

On the positive money side I received £250 for switching bank account the other day (which all but covered the cost of my flight to NY). Trying to switch again but that isn't going very smoothly so will have to wait and see how that one pans out.

Other than that not much else to report, just have to keep plodding again and hopefully I will be 1/5th of the way to being a millionaire by the end of the year.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

4,174Users online

Martin's Twitter