Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • luckymannn
    • By luckymannn 9th May 11, 10:56 PM
    • 541Posts
    • 632Thanks
    luckymannn
    Job Interviews - Stubble?
    • 9th May 11, 10:56 PM
    Job Interviews - Stubble? 9th May 11 at 10:56 PM
    I HATE being clean shaven, and the last time I was it was 4 years ago when I went for my current job. I feel really uncomfortable and unconfident in my appearance without a bit of stubble.

Would this stubble hinder getting a job?

I currently work in IT and would want to carry on doing the same, but I can't see how short neatly trimmed stubble should reduce my chances of successful interviews!
Page 1
    • Rockporkchop
    • By Rockporkchop 9th May 11, 11:06 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Rockporkchop
    • 9th May 11, 11:06 PM
    • 9th May 11, 11:06 PM
    Personally I think stubble looks inappropriate and unprofessional for a job interview, like you have just got out of bed and not made an effort. I don't think anyone will be able to tell whether you have trimmed it or not so that won't make a difference.

Anyway, if in doubt surely you can shave just for one day? You'll have the stubble back the next morning.
  • WPN
    • 9th May 11, 11:11 PM
    Confidence is key. A bit of stubble is cool but anything more might be off-putting. I personally think you are an entire package, if they can't accept your face for that then they wouldn't have picked you anyway. If you know roughly how long it takes it grow back... and know the interview a few days in advance, you can get clean shaven ready for a bit of stubble to grow in time. Facial hair is frown upon at interviews but a well groomed beard etc. isn't normally a worry, its just when its untidy.
    • jadziad
    • By jadziad 9th May 11, 11:11 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    jadziad
    Originally posted by luckymannn
    No. Not in IT, anyway.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 9th May 11, 11:12 PM
    • 7,427 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 9th May 11, 11:12 PM
    • 9th May 11, 11:12 PM
    I HATE being clean shaven, and the last time I was it was 4 years ago when I went for my current job. I feel really uncomfortable and unconfident in my appearance without a bit of stubble.

I don't know but for the sake of getting a better job I would put up with a day feeling uncomfortable.

I currently work in IT and would want to carry on doing the same, but I can't see how short neatly trimmed stubble should reduce my chances of successful interviews!
    The point is that its all about perceptions. To some stubble looks as if you couldn't be bothered. So yes it may reduce your chances at said interview.
  • Snakeeyes21
    • 9th May 11, 11:16 PM
    • 9th May 11, 11:16 PM
    No. Not in IT, anyway.
    Originally posted by jadziad
    Yes scruffy lot those IT consultants
  • Outpost
    • 9th May 11, 11:19 PM
    • 9th May 11, 11:19 PM
    Shave it off. A day being clean shaven for a job interview won't kill you.

A bit of stubble may make no difference to the opinion of the interviewer, or then again it might. Why take the risk?
  • Emmzi
    • 9th May 11, 11:20 PM
    • 9th May 11, 11:20 PM
    why not grow a proper beard then?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
    • moneywasternomore!
    • By moneywasternomore! 9th May 11, 11:21 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    moneywasternomore!
    • 9th May 11, 11:21 PM
    • 9th May 11, 11:21 PM
    Old gits (ie me, 41) in fairly middle-of-the-road, professional jobs will probably frown on a bit of stubble....young, hip IT dudes will not give two hoots....know your enemy!!
  • PoppyHoppy
    It's a tricky one, because one man's stubble is another man's face forest. I am a stubble fan - and I vote for keeping it - but as you say, have it as tidy as possible.
    I noticed our HR director was sporting a stubble today - didn't make him look any less professional.
    Best of luck with the job interview.
    Determined to be a thrifty Mama!
    • LondonDiva
    • By LondonDiva 9th May 11, 11:40 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    LondonDiva
    Shave it off. I wouldn't hire you as it would look as though you weren't bothering.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
    • bluenoseam
    • By bluenoseam 9th May 11, 11:43 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 7,826 Thanks
    bluenoseam
    First impressions count, do you want to be seen as the guy who looked like he just crawled out of bed or the guy who went to a bit of effort to look sharp? In this job market, i know what i'd rather be!
  • epsilondraconis
    I noticed our HR director was sporting a stubble today - didn't make him look any less professional.
    Originally posted by PoppyHoppy
    I thought for a minute you were going to write "... - didn't make her look any less professional."
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 9th May 11, 11:50 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    ska lover
    Hi Luckymann.
    My tuppenth worth is - shave it off. It looks far more professional and business like. As soon as you have your foot in the door you can grow a beard down to your knees.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE INTERVIEW
  • WPN
    Some argue it shows experience... lol
    • kipperman
    • By kipperman 10th May 11, 6:35 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    kipperman
    Some argue it shows experience... lol
    Originally posted by WPN
    Probably those without much success at interviews......
  • Cool_Mint
    Shave the day before but not on the day of the interview, it also has the advantage that you won't turn up at the interview with spots and razor bumps.
    • diable
    • By diable 10th May 11, 7:01 AM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 3,966 Thanks
    diable
    Are you male or female?
  • Sambucus Nigra
    How will the person/people interviewing you know that you just don't like being clean shaven rather than you tumbled out of bed late or couldn't be ar5ed?

They won't - thus it is best to just shave.
  • Outpost
    Shave everything. Not just your face.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,584Posts Today

7,331Users online

Martin's Twitter