Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    welshcakes
    TV Licensing harassment letters
    • 5th Dec 06, 7:41 PM
    TV Licensing harassment letters 5th Dec 06 at 7:41 PM
    Just thought I'd share about of useful information to anyone who's receiving those threatening letters regarding TV licenses.

Mine came about as I have a vacant property and despite speaking to some one who 'updated the records', I continued to get increasingly threatening letters quoting the Criminal Act etc, intervies under caution, entry to my premises.

Anyway, DO NOT attempt to call them on the phone numbers quoted on the letter as you will invariably find yourself on hold listening to a cold sell for cheap international calls. You will be told you are 2nd in the queue, then first, then second, then first etc etc.

I finally wrote back and threatened THEM with the Police Criminal Act for harassment without due cause and hoped that would be the end of it.

It was apart from the fact that they then sent me a £10 goodwill cheque to shut me up.

You see? It pays to pick up the missiles and chuck them back over the fence!
    Integrity is a dying art!
Page 12
    • mickaveli2001
    • By mickaveli2001 1st Dec 15, 11:21 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    mickaveli2001
    We should simply walk out of the shop where they expect you to hand over your details when buying a TV.

Given that it's Christmas, you could be buying a TV as a gift. Why should you be bombarded by a bunch of devious crooks trying to extort money?
    My idea of "doing my research" was an undergraduate science degree, a PhD, two post doctoral fellowships and a career in research making actual medical breakthroughs. These resulted in improved healthcare for millions of people ~ Louis Pasteur (French chemist and Microbiologist)

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 1st Dec 15, 12:15 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 8,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Which retailer is still collecting names and addresses for TVL?

We should be told.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ffox
    • By ffox 1st Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ffox
    Expect them all to.

They'll just use those details which you use to purchase the TV. The purchaser details which the retailer takes for billing and internal marketing.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 1st Dec 15, 12:38 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 8,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    This was stopped 2 years ago, so I'd like to see some evidence.

There's plenty about TVL to be concerned about - no need for rumour-mongering.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ffox
    • By ffox 1st Dec 15, 12:39 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ffox
    It came on onto me off the tele.
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 1st Dec 15, 4:10 PM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    It came on onto me off the tele.
    Originally posted by ffox
    Had a few lunchtime pints ?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 1st Dec 15, 4:12 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    I've now received an initial response from the BBC Trust on the issue of the BBC's legal justification for TV Licensing.

Their official line is that they have a legal justification for it, but they won't disclose what it is to me, and by extension to the British public.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/legislation-and-policy-AB9
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 1st Dec 15, 5:13 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 8,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Funnily enough, they never mentioned any of that, because it's what it doesn't say there that is relevant.

Where is the Legislation that empowers them to enforce against Licence evasion? What does it say? What powers does it give them?

As someone who doesn't need a Licence, what are their powers to deal with me (if any)? And if there are powers, what are the limits and oversights on them?

I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone here can answer those questions, because as I said, the BBC & BBC Trust are unable (or rather: unwilling) to do so.

The relevance of this should be obvious - I do not want to "do business" with them under the situation where I don't know what their authority is.

In addition, the case law around the Right to Privacy requires that rules are explicit, clear, accessible and understandable, and also proof against arbitrariness. Obviously if the rules aren't published at all, then they fail Privacy 101.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 01-12-2015 at 5:58 PM.

• Mac2017
    • By Mac2017 18th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mac2017
    Tv licence
    Hi I was wondering if you still had a copy of the letter you sent to the tv licence?
    If so could I get a copy?
    Thanks
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 18th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,071 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Hi I was wondering if you still had a copy of the letter you sent to the tv licence?
    If so could I get a copy?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Mac2017
    Welcome.

The last post on this thread was over eighteen months ago and it's not clear which of the many previous posts you are referring to, so I suspect you are unlikely to get a reply.

If you have a particular issue of your own it may be worth starting a new thread to say what the problem is / what you are looking for
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 18th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 8,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I imagine that Mac2017 is referring to the OP of this thread.

This dates back 10 years and the OP had his legal references wrong, anyway.

I have a few stock letters for TVL which I will dig out and post later.

EDIT:

The simplest measure is Cease & Desist, which is technically a warning of impending legal action, but doesn't require it:-

Dear TVL, Please Cease & Desist from sending my household your mass mailing letters as we find them harassing, offensive and dishonest. Yours...

Taking it a stage further you can provoke BBC-TVL into banning themselves from attending your premises by invoking your rights under PACE.

Dear TVL, Having studied your enforcement methods, I wish to inform you that in the event that you wish to Interview me Under caution I will exercise my rights under PACE which include: Right to Silence, Right to Counsel, Right to Decline Interview and the Right to require the interview to be documented fairly,
    accurately and independently which your present approach does not do. Yours...

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, one or other of those should work.

There's another approach involving a scale of charges, but you have to be prepared to sue BBC-TVL for maximum effect.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 18-06-2017 at 6:51 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

333Posts Today

1,921Users online

Martin's Twitter