Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Benefits for 17 year old??? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Benefits for 17 year old???
Closed Thread
Views: 18,307
# 1
davmail
Old 05-12-2006, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Benefits for 17 year old???

Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.
Kawasaki z750 Rider!
# 2
Dead_Eye_Jones
Old 05-12-2006, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Is the local McD's recruiting? When you need a job - you need a job!
Debt: a bloomin big mortgage

all posts are made for entertainment value only, nothing I say should be taken as making any sense and should really be ignored
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dead_Eye_Jones For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
davmail
Old 05-12-2006, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cheers.There's an indifference on here I dont enjoy.
Kawasaki z750 Rider!
# 4
SmileBeHappy
Old 05-12-2006, 1:26 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

if he'd gone to college he'd get £30 a week- as he didn't, i think its a job or nothing
# 5
Gabriel-Ernest
Old 05-12-2006, 1:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Surely in his position any job is better than no job and zero income beyond what Mum and Dad shell out? Did he get any qualifications? Has he had a Saturday job? What are his plans for the future?
Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel-Ernest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
packardbill
Old 05-12-2006, 1:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmail
Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.
I have looked around and I think what you were told is right ,as he lives with you he won't get any benefits under 18,anything he would be entitled to would be judge against the household income

Hopefully though someone with more knowledge of benefits etc will be along soon

good luck
# 7
raq
Old 05-12-2006, 2:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

give the jsa a go. When I rang recently the bloke on the phone said he have known people to ring on their 17th birthday.

you never know.
# 8
real1314
Old 05-12-2006, 4:40 PM

JSA is not usually paid to under 18s unless they are estranged from their parents. He should contact Connexions who may be able to help him look for suitable work/training.
# 9
Gemmzie
Old 05-12-2006, 6:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It is correct that he cannot claim benefits as an individual if he is living at home, it will be assessed on household income.

If he registers with Connexions, they have 12 week courses for which he will be paid EMA for attending, and they can help the young person gain employment by improving life skills

Hope that helps
No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemmzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
clairec79
Old 05-12-2006, 7:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Has he done any work or training since leaving school? If he has he may be entitled to bridging allowance (it was £15 a week, but that was a year or two back, but if it didn't go up in the 10 years before) for 8 weeks
# 11
jowmonty
Old 14-12-2006, 9:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My son has sent a claim off for income support but they do want to know what money is coming into the household (he's 17). Your wages for instance. Am waiting to hear. Like yourself I'm supporting him at the moment and two other children 14 and 8, am also a single parent after 15 years of marrriage and am only able to work at the moment limited hours due to no childcare for the youngest.
# 12
new leaf
Old 14-12-2006, 9:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

If he's willing to take a job at this time of year couldn't he get one, even a temporary Christmas one to tide him over till he got something else? If he just doesn't want to work, I wouldn't encourage him as a parent by pointing him down the benefits route.
"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom" - Shirley Conran...she wasn't an Old Styler then, was she?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to new leaf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
nickmack
Old 15-12-2006, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmail
If you're having problems financially while he's still at home, and he's fit and able, he should go and get a job. Benefits are for people who really need them and from what you've said the only thing he needs is to get off his backside.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nickmack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Idiophreak
Old 15-12-2006, 3:08 PM

Without having a go, is there actually any good reason that he couldn't get a job as others have suggested?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Idiophreak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
loopy_lass
Old 15-12-2006, 3:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

without prejudice

2 ways of doing this, tell the benefits he has to leave the household due to you not being able to support him, he will get housing benefit etc. at least he will learn how to look after himself with your support ... i.e. doing his washing and some meals, and theres nothing to stop him spending time at home before going back to his own place each night.

Or

enroll him in college, keeps him off the street, gets him a qualification and youll get some cash to support him.

hth loops
THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN...
# 16
Gemmzie
Old 15-12-2006, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy_lass
without prejudice

2 ways of doing this, tell the benefits he has to leave the household due to you not being able to support him, he will get housing benefit etc. at least he will learn how to look after himself with your support ... i.e. doing his washing and some meals, and theres nothing to stop him spending time at home before going back to his own place each night.

Or

enroll him in college, keeps him off the street, gets him a qualification and youll get some cash to support him.

hth loops
Not strictly true, there are very different rules for 16 and 17 year old young people. It's a very complicated system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemmzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
iaintwoeyes
Old 15-12-2006, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_marshall89
if he'd gone to college he'd get £30 a week- as he didn't, i think its a job or nothing
I'll think you'll find it's up to £30 and its means tested
# 18
iaintwoeyes
Old 15-12-2006, 7:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by real1314
JSA is not usually paid to under 18s unless they are estranged from their parents. He should contact Connexions who may be able to help him look for suitable work/training.
JSA is never paid to under 18's

If the 16-18 year old has left home they may be entitled to some income support
# 19
RayWolfe
Old 15-12-2006, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowmonty
My son has sent a claim off for income support but they do want to know what money is coming into the household (he's 17). Your wages for instance. Am waiting to hear. Like yourself I'm supporting him at the moment and two other children 14 and 8, am also a single parent after 15 years of marrriage and am only able to work at the moment limited hours due to no childcare for the youngest.
Strange contradictions here. You can't work for lack of childcare but you have to support him! What about him being the childcare whilst you work.
I bet that would scare him into finding a job.
Ray
Not judgmental; just curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayWolfe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Gemmzie
Old 15-12-2006, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaintwoeyes
JSA is never paid to under 18's

If the 16-18 year old has left home they may be entitled to some income support
That's not true.

JSA Severe Hardship is available for 16 - 17 year olds in certain circumstances, during the CBEP
Closed Thread