Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davmail
    • By davmail 5th Dec 06, 1:05 PM
    • 369Posts
    • 72Thanks
    davmail
    Benefits for 17 year old???
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:05 PM
    Benefits for 17 year old??? 5th Dec 06 at 1:05 PM
    Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
Page 1
  • Dead_Eye_Jones
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:15 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:15 PM
    Is the local McD's recruiting? When you need a job - you need a job!
    Debt: a bloomin big mortgage

all posts are made for entertainment value only, nothing I say should be taken as making any sense and should really be ignored
    • davmail
    • By davmail 5th Dec 06, 1:17 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    davmail
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:17 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:17 PM
    Cheers.There's an indifference on here I dont enjoy.
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
  • SmileBeHappy
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:26 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:26 PM
    if he'd gone to college he'd get £30 a week- as he didn't, i think its a job or nothing
  • Gabriel-Ernest
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:29 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:29 PM
    Surely in his position any job is better than no job and zero income beyond what Mum and Dad shell out? Did he get any qualifications? Has he had a Saturday job? What are his plans for the future?
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • packardbill
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:51 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 1:51 PM
    Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.
    by davmail
    I have looked around and I think what you were told is right ,as he lives with you he won't get any benefits under 18,anything he would be entitled to would be judge against the household income

Hopefully though someone with more knowledge of benefits etc will be along soon

good luck
    • raq
    • By raq 5th Dec 06, 2:05 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    raq
    • 5th Dec 06, 2:05 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 2:05 PM
    give the jsa a go. When I rang recently the bloke on the phone said he have known people to ring on their 17th birthday.

you never know.
  • real1314
    • 5th Dec 06, 4:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 4:40 PM
    JSA is not usually paid to under 18s unless they are estranged from their parents. He should contact Connexions who may be able to help him look for suitable work/training.
  • Gemmzie
    • 5th Dec 06, 6:02 PM
    • 5th Dec 06, 6:02 PM
    It is correct that he cannot claim benefits as an individual if he is living at home, it will be assessed on household income.

If he registers with Connexions, they have 12 week courses for which he will be paid EMA for attending, and they can help the young person gain employment by improving life skills

Hope that helps
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 5th Dec 06, 7:12 PM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 5,911 Thanks
    clairec79
    Has he done any work or training since leaving school? If he has he may be entitled to bridging allowance (it was £15 a week, but that was a year or two back, but if it didn't go up in the 10 years before) for 8 weeks
  • jowmonty
    My son has sent a claim off for income support but they do want to know what money is coming into the household (he's 17). Your wages for instance. Am waiting to hear. Like yourself I'm supporting him at the moment and two other children 14 and 8, am also a single parent after 15 years of marrriage and am only able to work at the moment limited hours due to no childcare for the youngest.
  • new leaf
    If he's willing to take a job at this time of year couldn't he get one, even a temporary Christmas one to tide him over till he got something else? If he just doesn't want to work, I wouldn't encourage him as a parent by pointing him down the benefits route.
    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom" - Shirley Conran...she wasn't an Old Styler then, was she?
    • nickmack
    • By nickmack 15th Dec 06, 3:03 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    nickmack
    by davmail
    If you're having problems financially while he's still at home, and he's fit and able, he should go and get a job. Benefits are for people who really need them and from what you've said the only thing he needs is to get off his backside.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 15th Dec 06, 3:08 PM
    • 11,642 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Without having a go, is there actually any good reason that he couldn't get a job as others have suggested?
    • loopy_lass
    • By loopy_lass 15th Dec 06, 3:11 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    loopy_lass
    without prejudice

2 ways of doing this, tell the benefits he has to leave the household due to you not being able to support him, he will get housing benefit etc. at least he will learn how to look after himself with your support ... i.e. doing his washing and some meals, and theres nothing to stop him spending time at home before going back to his own place each night.

Or

enroll him in college, keeps him off the street, gets him a qualification and youll get some cash to support him.

hth loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN...
  • Gemmzie
    without prejudice

2 ways of doing this, tell the benefits he has to leave the household due to you not being able to support him, he will get housing benefit etc. at least he will learn how to look after himself with your support ... i.e. doing his washing and some meals, and theres nothing to stop him spending time at home before going back to his own place each night.

Or

enroll him in college, keeps him off the street, gets him a qualification and youll get some cash to support him.

hth loops
    by loopy_lass
    Not strictly true, there are very different rules for 16 and 17 year old young people. It's a very complicated system.
  • iaintwoeyes
    if he'd gone to college he'd get £30 a week- as he didn't, i think its a job or nothing
    by laura_marshall89
    I'll think you'll find it's up to £30 and its means tested
  • iaintwoeyes
    JSA is not usually paid to under 18s unless they are estranged from their parents. He should contact Connexions who may be able to help him look for suitable work/training.
    by real1314
    JSA is never paid to under 18's

If the 16-18 year old has left home they may be entitled to some income support
  • RayWolfe
    My son has sent a claim off for income support but they do want to know what money is coming into the household (he's 17). Your wages for instance. Am waiting to hear. Like yourself I'm supporting him at the moment and two other children 14 and 8, am also a single parent after 15 years of marrriage and am only able to work at the moment limited hours due to no childcare for the youngest.
    by jowmonty
    Strange contradictions here. You can't work for lack of childcare but you have to support him! What about him being the childcare whilst you work.
    I bet that would scare him into finding a job.
    Ray
    Not judgmental; just curious.
  • Gemmzie
    JSA is never paid to under 18's

If the 16-18 year old has left home they may be entitled to some income support
    by iaintwoeyes
    That's not true.

JSA Severe Hardship is available for 16 - 17 year olds in certain circumstances, during the CBEP
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,981Posts Today

7,112Users online

Martin's Twitter