Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > mum has cancer can i cancel my holiday (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
mum has cancer can i cancel my holiday
Closed Thread
Views: 5,563
# 1
WOW Factor 0
sparky1110_0
Old 29-04-2011, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default mum has cancer can i cancel my holiday

my mum had cancer 2 years ago which was removed but we think it has now returned i have a holiday booked for 5 weeks time will my travel insurance allow me to cancel as i think we dont have much time with my mum what proof will ineed for them etc
# 2
victor2
Old 29-04-2011, 8:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Will probably depend on the insurance company. Doubt if there's hard and fast rules for dealing with that. Best to call them and see what sort of response you get. I'm sure they'll need some sort of medical evidence to back up what you are saying, but no reason why her doctor can't provide that. With immediate blood relatives, a decent insurance company might be quite understanding. Might depend on something like it being diagnosed as terminal and could get pretty harrowing to deal with though.
# 3
HXDave
Old 29-04-2011, 9:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

was the cancer advised to your insurance company at the time of taking the insurance out?

sorry to sound glum, but things are a lot more stringent these days, and insurance companies very very strict.

xxx Dave
I used to be a Travel Agent
Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
The Following User Says Thank You to HXDave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Nobjocki
Old 29-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

First of all I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament.

But I'm trying to get my head around the time frame of this.

Your mum was diagnosed with cancer and two years ago it was " removed " and now five weeks away from a holiday you " think " it has suddenly re-appeared and you don't have " much time with her. "

This all seems very sudden and whilst you might think these questions are insensitive they're exactly the questions your insurance company will ask.

And to be honest, your insurance company are the first people you should be talking to in order to get an answer to your question rather than anonymous posters on an internet forum especially as it's your first post on here.

Cancer is a bo11ocks alright but it's rare to find one so aggressive that you go ahead and book a holiday and take out travel insurance without mentioning it at the time.

Last edited by Nobjocki; 29-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobjocki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
budgetflyer
Old 29-04-2011, 10:07 PM

That tends to happen Nobjocki.
It can clear up for years, then return and spread rapido.
The Following User Says Thank You to budgetflyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Nobjocki
Old 29-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetflyer View Post
That tends to happen Nobjocki.
It can clear up for years, then return and spread rapido.

I don't disagree but I'm still trying to understand how the OP " thinks " it has returned and she doesn't have much time with her mum.

She asked a question about what the insurance company's reaction would be and I'm trying to imagine what their response might be.

It's an unusual first post to a money saving forum you've got to admit.
# 7
dmg24
Old 29-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobjocki View Post
I don't disagree but I'm still trying to understand how the OP " thinks " it has returned and she doesn't have much time with her mum.

She asked a question about what the insurance company's reaction would be and I'm trying to imagine what their response might be.

It's an unusual first post to a money saving forum you've got to admit.
Maybe mum is awaiting test results but her symptoms already give an indication of the prognosis? Does it really matter, I doubt the OP fancies discussing the finer details with strangers.

sparky, if you need any further advice feel free to ask. I hope you get more positive news soon.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Incapuppy
Old 30-04-2011, 9:02 AM

Very sorry to hear of your situation Sparky.

As has already been said you need to speak directly to your insurers as soon as possible. I declare PEMCs for my (non-travelling) parents (to cover the risk of having to cancel or curtail my own holiday should they fall ill) and have found that insurance companies (or their medical screening agencies) can and do vary wildly in how they judge the risk of such situations and therefore the cover offered and any loading of premiums.

With luck, you may be covered but please be aware that there is every chance that you will not be. In this case you should also speak to your travel agent (or direct with airlines/accomodation providers if you are DIY) in order to cancel or try and re-book for another date as soon as possible in order to try and minimise the amount of money you will lose as a result.
The Following User Says Thank You to Incapuppy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sparky1110_0
Old 30-04-2011, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobjocki View Post
First of all I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament.

But I'm trying to get my head around the time frame of this.

Your mum was diagnosed with cancer and two years ago it was " removed " and now five weeks away from a holiday you " think " it has suddenly re-appeared and you don't have " much time with her. "

This all seems very sudden and whilst you might think these questions are insensitive they're exactly the questions your insurance company will ask.

And to be honest, your insurance company are the first people you should be talking to in order to get an answer to your question rather than anonymous posters on an internet forum especially as it's your first post on here.

Cancer is a bo11ocks alright but it's rare to find one so aggressive that you go ahead and book a holiday and take out travel insurance without mentioning it at the time.
i am awaiting the results of the ct scan for mum she was advised 2 years ago after a lubectomy of the lung that the cancer was clear and no chemo radio needed she has had follow ups since and nothing spotted so they then see her once a year to monitior situation she has lost her voice now for 6 weeks and had steriods antibiotics and then she contacted her cancer doc as we all thought this was clear only to be told that it may be back and that it may have paralsyed the vocal cord we were at ent doc who has confirmed this yesterday the reason that i may not have mich time is i have read that this happens in late stages of cancer i am hoppoing not as i want as much time as possible with her the reason for first post was i was seeking advice is that not what these forums are for to get advice the raeson i have not contacted the insurance is that i hope i do not need to cancell and i hae it all wrong but the signs of mum are not looking good and if it short term diagnosed then 11 days away from her is a long time as it will be me who is caring for her
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparky1110_0 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Incapuppy
Old 30-04-2011, 1:40 PM

Sparky, you really have no need to justify your personal situation to any member of this forum, in fact I would be inclined to delete your post as the information is the business of no-one on here.

I really do think that you need to speak to your insurers as soon as possible to clarify the situation with them rather than, for example, calling them the week before you are due to travel when you have already been aware of the situation regarding your Mum's health for a month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incapuppy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Pollycat
Old 30-04-2011, 1:45 PM

Sorry to hear your sad news, Sparky.

I think the only people who can tell you if you can cancel your holiday and get your money back are the insurance company.

There are lots of different policies with different clauses so I doubt that anyone here can give you a definitive answer.

It may be that as your Mum was told her cancer was clear, the insurance company will pay up - but then again, they may say you should still have declared your Mum's illness.

Best wishes
# 12
globetraveller
Old 30-04-2011, 1:45 PM

another possibility is to ask travel company if you can change holiday dates?
# 13
muddled
Old 30-04-2011, 3:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sparky, really sorry about your predicament. Agree with globetraveller to see if the travel company can change holiday dates.
kind regards.
# 14
sparky1110_0
Old 30-04-2011, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

why is there not a question regarding everyone in your family s health my mum is nt flying so i assumed that the info i give is with regards to the people flying on holiday
# 15
Incapuppy
Old 30-04-2011, 4:24 PM

That's a very good question Sparky and it is something that I only became aware of a few years ago from information gleaned from this forum.

You will find that the matter will be referred to in the policy small print to which you agree when you buy the policy, and before you ask, time was I never used to read the small print either.

Please speak to your Insurers as only they will be able to advise on your personal situation and I sincerely hope that your Mum's prognosis is not as bad as you are fearing at this time.
# 16
victor2
Old 30-04-2011, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1110_0 View Post
why is there not a question regarding everyone in your family s health my mum is nt flying so i assumed that the info i give is with regards to the people flying on holiday
Good point. I don't believe you are obliged to disclose details of other family members not directly covered by the policy. After all, where would you stop?
We successfully claimed on a travel policy for cancellation after a family member passed away a week before we were due to go. She was my wife's brother's wife, so not even a blood relative. We even knew she was terminally ill, just didn't expect it to happen so soon.
Was half expecting the insurance company to say no, but I explained it all and all they needed was a copy of the death certificate and proof of the cancellation cost. Slightly different circumstances, but still worth asking your insurers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to victor2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
luci
Old 30-04-2011, 5:48 PM

Most policies do mention relatives under "persons on whom the travel depends" or "people not travelling". It is usually, but not always, under the Medical Declaration part of the policy.

Some policies required you to declare everything for relatives, but some, such as Direct Travel, only as that there is no known reason you may cancel.

Who is the policy with Sparky and someone may be able to take a look at the wording?
# 18
ferf1223
Old 30-04-2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incapuppy View Post
That's a very good question Sparky and it is something that I only became aware of a few years ago from information gleaned from this forum.
Ditto and ditto...it never occurred to me until reading some travel insurance related posts here that conditions close family members may be suffering from may need to be declared...makes sense if you'll potentially need to cancel a holiday due to their illness (as premiums may increase depending on the specific circumstances) - but really something that never occurred to me before.

Sparky - I hope it all works out ok for your mum.
# 19
jolfc
Old 30-04-2011, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am sorry to hear this for the op. All I can say is when my mother had cancer I never thought to tell the Post Office insurance policy she had been ill in the last few years. My mother passed away 2 weeks before we were due to go on our holiday and the policy did not cover us cancelling, so we had to change the dates to a later date when we felt up to going, but we had to pay the difference in price. Th Post Office classed anything as close family from mother to step aunty, cousins and children. Hope all is well for the op and the family.
# 20
sparky1110_0
Old 30-04-2011, 8:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thanks for all the replies manage to get thomascook they said they may be able to move the holiday at a cost or travel insurance should cover it the policy is with endsliegh i am still hoping to go on holiday but only fate and time will allow this but i am praying i can as this means mum either got a chance or time the reason for the post was that i just was nt sure what to do i will post again once the situation becomes clearer thank you all for your time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparky1110_0 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread