Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Barclays sales/marketing calls - security questio... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Barclays sales/marketing calls - security questions
Views: 23,651
# 1
book12
Old 29-04-2011, 6:15 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Red face Barclays sales/marketing calls - security questions

When I was having a nap in the late afternoon, there was a phone call from Barclays (0800085265). I picked it up and they said about some products that I might be interested, and want me to answer some security questions before they will tell me about them.

I answered the last question wrong regarding the maiden name. The Customer Service Agent said something along the lines of: 'you answered the security question wrong and if you want to know about the offers, please go to your local branch'.

I was still half asleep when I woke up to pick up the call. Silly me.

I am worried that one or more of the following might happen :

• CIFAS marker on credit file
  • a marker/note on bank customer file, saying something like 'ask more questions and show ID when customer in branch wants something done, as he/she answered security questions wrong before on "this date" '
  • bank accounts frozen, or even closed!
Please note it is a genuine call - http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08000852652/20 . I thought it was a scam call in the first place, but it's not.

Do you guys think the above will happen?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
SpudGunner
Old 29-04-2011, 9:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Along the lines of option 2 is what would happen.

Nothing serious, just a note on your file to say you failed security questions, your account wont get frozen/cifas or anything.

I would suggest next time you are passing a branch, go in with ID and your debit card and then update your details.

Sometimes the mother maiden name is correct on the main part of the system but under your card details the MMN might be missing or wrong.

I have seen that happen in the past.
# 3
pvt
Old 29-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unless you were expecting the call, for example because you queried something and they said they would call you back about it, you should not answer such security questions.

It sounds very suspicious. Why would the caller need to go through such a significant security check in order to market something?

If the cold call is about something like a suspected fraud, then ask for a number to call them back on, or ask them some questions about your account as well that only your bank would know.

But it's a useful tip that I've noted from this. If you're bothered by someone from your bank/phone company/satellite provider/insurer/dog kennel then give them a bum steer and get the call over with quickly as possible.

As regards the original question, I would suspect they will do nothing. What are they going to tell CIFAS? "We called someone, we don't know who, and they couldn't convince us they were the account holder, so everyone should treat the account holder as a suspected fraudster". I don't think so, do you?

pvt
Optimists see the glass half full.
Pessimists see the glass half empty.
Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be.
# 4
book12
Old 29-04-2011, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudGunner View Post
Along the lines of option 2 is what would happen.

Nothing serious, just a note on your file to say you failed security questions, your account wont get frozen/cifas or anything.

I would suggest next time you are passing a branch, go in with ID and your debit card and then update your details.

Sometimes the mother maiden name is correct on the main part of the system but under your card details the MMN might be missing or wrong.

I have seen that happen in the past.
Does the note stay on my file forever?

I will bring my passport/driving licence in then.

By the way, they were asking the first and last letter of the maiden name..

I will answer the maiden name question correctly in the future.

I want to apply a credit card with them soon too....
# 5
book12
Old 29-04-2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt View Post
Unless you were expecting the call, for example because you queried something and they said they would call you back about it, you should not answer such security questions.

It sounds very suspicious. Why would the caller need to go through such a significant security check in order to market something?

If the cold call is about something like a suspected fraud, then ask for a number to call them back on, or ask them some questions about your account as well that only your bank would know.

But it's a useful tip that I've noted from this. If you're bothered by someone from your bank/phone company/satellite provider/insurer/dog kennel then give them a bum steer and get the call over with quickly as possible.

As regards the original question, I would suspect they will do nothing. What are they going to tell CIFAS? "We called someone, we don't know who, and they couldn't convince us they were the account holder, so everyone should treat the account holder as a suspected fraudster". I don't think so, do you?

pvt
I wasn't expecting a call from them.

It sounds suspicious after I told them all the answers for the security questions, and was worried, so googled the number, and eventually it was a genuine call from Barclays. I was relieved.

I find it quite odd too by needing to answer security questions so that they could do the marketing pitch to me. :s
# 6
SpudGunner
Old 29-04-2011, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by book12 View Post
Does the note stay on my file forever?

I will bring my passport/driving licence in then.

By the way, they were asking the first and last letter of the maiden name..

I will answer the maiden name question correctly in the future.

I want to apply a credit card with them soon too....
Note will be there on your records for ever but it really means nothing at all to us and wont affect you or how we treat you in any way whatsoever, it happens all the time.

Standard proceedure to ask some security questions when we call to ensure we are speaking to the right person. It is difficult though as how do you know at the time you are really speaking to someone from the bank?!

Better to be safe than sorry and go into the branch to discuss things.

If interested in a credit card, you will need to have pre-approved limits. If you are going in to update your details anyway then the personal banker will tell you if you have limits at present. They are refreshed once a month anyway and having correct details about yourself on the system will obviously help anyway.
# 7
book12
Old 01-05-2011, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Note will be there on your records for ever but it really means nothing at all to us and wont affect you or how we treat you in any way whatsoever, it happens all the time.

Standard proceedure to ask some security questions when we call to ensure we are speaking to the right person. It is difficult though as how do you know at the time you are really speaking to someone from the bank?!

Better to be safe than sorry and go into the branch to discuss things.

If interested in a credit card, you will need to have pre-approved limits. If you are going in to update your details anyway then the personal banker will tell you if you have limits at present. They are refreshed once a month anyway and having correct details about yourself on the system will obviously help anyway.
Quite odd I need pre-approved limits for a credit card. Other banks don't need approved limits in order to be eligible/accepted. :s

I will go in and update my employment details, as got a new job late last year, and haven't gone to branch since then. Hopefully I will get pre-approved limits with my old details before I ask them to change my new employment details. Even though there's no pre-approved offers, I will change my new employment details anyway. Would my new job salary make pre-approve offers appear when I didn't update details when I first start my job late last year? If not, when refreshing next month, would I get pre-approved offers straight away? Surely the system will know my new salary as it picks it each month (even before I change details).
# 8
SpudGunner
Old 01-05-2011, 8:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Applying online for credit cards is different but in branch the system will not let the personal banker proceed with an app if there are no pre-approved limits showing.

As you say the system will know your salary from looking at the credits anyway but as it works on a system of credit score/credit reference agency data and looking at how you run your account, it can only help having the correct details on the banks systems.

There are sadly no guarantees that just cos you update your details now that suddenly limits will appear next month

Best of luck
# 9
book12
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 AM

By the looks of things, I could either apply online, or wait for pre-approve offers to come up in a few months or a few years. What happens if no pre-approve offers come up after a year, 2 years, etc...? I think I will wait for a few months to see if I have pre-approved offers (before applying online as a last resort).

Why is it compulsary to have pre-approved offers when applying in branch? Other people applying at other banks don't have pre-approved offers and manage to be accepted. Looks like Barclays is different from the others.

I have saw the online form. It says it wants sort code/account number, so that they could do credit checks. How does that work? It also ask for employer name and telephone number - do they actually call them up?
# 10
SpudGunner
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have no way of telling when/if you will get pre approved limits for a card.

As to why we cannot process an app in branch who knows? The system just chucks the personal banker back out of the application if they try and apply if the cust does not have limits

Would not actually call the employer - those details just help build up your credit score. If for instance we do not have your employers post code it can have a real impact on you getting limits
# 11
VictimOfImpersonation
Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Spudgunner

I can't help thinking that your apparent employer may not really appreciate you describing what you see at work in some of the tones you do e.g. "Note will be there on your records for ever". Clearly that is rubbish. Your employer will not breach Data Protection legislation and therefore it will not continue to record irrelevant data i.e. it will delete it when or before it becomes irrelevant.

"As to why we cannot process an app in branch who knows? The system just chucks the personal banker back out of the application if they try and apply if the cust does not have limits"

It sounds like you've experience of this system chucking you back out of the application when you have attempted to apply if the cust does not have limits.

Do you realise this makes you sound a bit like a hacker ?

Shouldn't you know the answer without getting chucked back out ? Durely you are not permitted to experiment on live data ?

As a probable customer of your employer it doesn't instill me with much assurance that my personal data is only being accessed and created* by people I can completely trust to look after it.

How long have you been in banking if you don't mind me asking?

*Apps have personal data consequences whether they succeed or fail, right?
# 12
book12
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I have no way of telling when/if you will get pre approved limits for a card.

As to why we cannot process an app in branch who knows? The system just chucks the personal banker back out of the application if they try and apply if the cust does not have limits

Would not actually call the employer - those details just help build up your credit score. If for instance we do not have your employers post code it can have a real impact on you getting limits
I will update my latest employment details in branch. When I was first a Barlcays customer applying in branch a few years ago, they only ask for the following employment details: employer name, job title, and salary - no postcode of the employer. :s

When I go to branch next time to updat my new employment details, I will ask if I have pre-approved offers, if yes apply in branch, and if not do it online.

Out of curiosity, I have looked at the online form on the Barclaycard website (in preparation in case I don't have pre-approved offers), it says it wants my account details for credit check. How do they actually use those details for credit checks? It also wants me to enter my employer name and telephone number. Do they actually call them to verify I work there?

Hope you know something about the online process.
# 13
Richardsct
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i had a call from them yesterday evening basically to ask how I was going on with the account (Cashcard) - ok As I'm bankrupt at moment (will be discharged in couple of weeks) I asked about online banking as I was under the impression I would have to wait until discharge to be able to use this service - the lady i spoke to said she was unaware of this and would register me for this - so will see how it goes

only security question she asked was the last 2 digits of my mothers maiden name, confirm name and address, NO Account nos etc

I was a bit suspicious but have checked out the no and is a genuine no from barclays but in retrospect i do think barclays are asking for trouble
# 14
portvalenil
Old 15-04-2013, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had one of these pest calls tonight. Why do they need security info to flog me stuff I don't want?

My bank is now on my 'blocked' list. Says it all really.
# 15
dalesrider
Old 15-04-2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt View Post
. Why would the caller need to go through such a significant security check in order to market something?
pvt
To make sure they are talking to the account holder.....

I guess you missed the thread where NW had spoken to a Ex-wife about the current wife's accounts.....

All because they did not take the person through security.....
Never ASSUME anything its makes a
>>> A55 of U & ME <<<
# 16
dalesrider
Old 15-04-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfImpersonation View Post
Spudgunner

I can't help thinking that your apparent employer may not really appreciate you describing what you see at work in some of the tones you do e.g. "Note will be there on your records for ever". Clearly that is rubbish. Your employer will not breach Data Protection legislation and therefore it will not continue to record irrelevant data i.e. it will delete it when or before it becomes irrelevant.?
Notes stay on a customer account for the duration. They cannot be deleted unless it is signed off by upper management and this type of data is important.

Customer fails security is relevant data. In fact failing to record it is a serious breach.

Someone who keeps failing security is going to flag up concerns. In case it is some fraudster trying to access the account.

Clearly you have no idea how DPA works.
Never ASSUME anything its makes a
>>> A55 of U & ME <<<
# 17
dr_adidas01
Old 16-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaJarvis View Post
Security Companies in Miami -

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM, and reported!!!!
Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both.
# 18
helenjones833
Old 11-12-2013, 3:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Seems likely this is a scam

To OP: how are you so sure that the call is not a scam or phishing call? The whocallsme.com link you provide seems to be to a forum where most people are questioning the legitimacy, not least because half the time nobody speaks when you answer the phone.

It seems to me to be completely illogical and a massive security risk that Barclays would cold call and ask for security details, but I suppose that doesn't mean it isn't the case either!
# 19
helenjones833
Old 11-12-2013, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

OK, having looked at this again it seems the number is genuine because it can be entered here. http://www.barclays.co.uk/ContactUs/...P1242604053440

Basically an absolute disgrace that Barclays would do this. Everyone knows that institutions should not cold call requesting personal details. If they are really holding this "failed security question "on record and somehow black marking you for it, they should be hauled up before the courts. Disgraceful.

Last edited by helenjones833; 11-12-2013 at 3:47 PM. Reason: URL came out wrong
# 20
Goldiegirl
Old 11-12-2013, 3:55 PM

Thanked 19,000 Times in 3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenjones833 View Post
OK, having looked at this again it seems the number is genuine because it can be entered here. http://www.barclays.co.uk/ContactUs/...P1242604053440

Basically an absolute disgrace that Barclays would do this. Everyone knows that institutions should not cold call requesting personal details. If they are really holding this "failed security question "on record and somehow black marking you for it, they should be hauled up before the courts. Disgraceful.

What if they cold called, and just assumed the person who answered the phone was the person they wanted, had a discussion about the account and revealed a load of personal info to the wrong person

That would be even more disgraceful
Planning for early retirement - Spring 2015
Sealed Pot Challenge - member 160
Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2014 - member 104 - Total 120.87
Save In 2014 Challenge - member 007 - Target 18,000 by 31/12/14 - Achieved 11785
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldiegirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>