Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pstones578
    • By pstones578 24th Apr 11, 7:18 PM
    • 455Posts
    • 100Thanks
    pstones578
    Getting trees removed from back of my house
    • 24th Apr 11, 7:18 PM
    Getting trees removed from back of my house 24th Apr 11 at 7:18 PM
    Can anyone recommend any companies that do tree removal in the Bolton area? We have two massive tree's at the back of the house that overhand our garden and we want them removing. They constantly drop branches/leaves etc on our garden.
    --
    Peter Stones
Page 1
  • LJM
    • 24th Apr 11, 7:55 PM
    • 24th Apr 11, 7:55 PM
    we did this a few years ago looked around and everywhere was expensive so in the end hubby and fil did it
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • LilacPixie
    • 24th Apr 11, 7:59 PM
    • 24th Apr 11, 7:59 PM
    my husband did the ones in our garden too. Are they on your land?? just when you said they overhang your garden i wondered if they were maybe on public land so maybe your local council could sort it
    MF aim 10th December 2020
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000
  • valk_scot
    • 24th Apr 11, 8:25 PM
    • 24th Apr 11, 8:25 PM
    Also remember that some trees will have a preservation order on them and if so, you can't have them removed without risking a huge fine.
    Val.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 24th Apr 11, 10:43 PM
    • 28,351 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 24th Apr 11, 10:43 PM
    • 24th Apr 11, 10:43 PM
    Can anyone recommend any companies that do tree removal in the Bolton area? We have two massive tree's at the back of the house that overhand our garden and we want them removing. They constantly drop branches/leaves etc on our garden.
    Originally posted by pstones578
    If they are not your trees, you cannot have them removed.

The most you can do is cut back any branches to your boundary line as long as this doesn't damage the trees. If they have TPOs on them, you can't do anything without the agreement of the Tree Officer.

It's also illegal to do anything to the trees which would affect nesting birds so very little work would be possible at the moment.
  • ginvzt
    • 24th Apr 11, 11:43 PM
    • 24th Apr 11, 11:43 PM
    If they are in your garden and you don't have any TPOs on them, I have used Holden Tree services. They did a great job and were very reasonably priced. He is based a bit more north (north side of Chorley), but maybe it is not too far for him? Always worth a call!
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
    • pstones578
    • By pstones578 25th Apr 11, 12:16 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    pstones578
    • 25th Apr 11, 12:16 AM
    • 25th Apr 11, 12:16 AM
    my husband did the ones in our garden too. Are they on your land?? just when you said they overhang your garden i wondered if they were maybe on public land so maybe your local council could sort it
    Originally posted by LilacPixie
    They are not in our garden but on council land.
    --
    Peter Stones
    • pstones578
    • By pstones578 25th Apr 11, 12:17 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    pstones578
    • 25th Apr 11, 12:17 AM
    • 25th Apr 11, 12:17 AM
    Also remember that some trees will have a preservation order on them and if so, you can't have them removed without risking a huge fine.
    Originally posted by valk_scot
    20k per tree from what I read.
    --
    Peter Stones
  • alm721
    • 25th Apr 11, 1:35 AM
    • 25th Apr 11, 1:35 AM
    As others have said you can't cut trees that are not on your land, and even then not if they have a preservation order. You could try and contact the council, how much do they overhang your garden and what sort of trees are they?
    "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

Erica Jong
  • sovereign
    My neighbours decided to cut my trees on my boundaries and then kindly left the the thick brances and roots in my garden for me to clear up and get rid of. I did say to them they were more than welcome to cut any overhanging branches that go onto their side but they decided to take the mick! I was not at home otherwise we would have had a real argument about it!! Grrrrrrrrrr Her argument was it was my tree so I should get rid of it. I had a real go at them this morning. Not very apologetic though. Very annoyed!! People just do not have any consideration. So I am putting them back in their garden.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 29th Apr 11, 4:07 PM
    • 28,351 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    Mojisola
    My neighbours decided to cut my trees on my boundaries and then kindly left the the thick brances and roots in my garden for me to clear up and get rid of. I did say to them they were more than welcome to cut any overhanging branches that go onto their side but they decided to take the mick! I was not at home otherwise we would have had a real argument about it!! Grrrrrrrrrr Her argument was it was my tree so I should get rid of it. I had a real go at them this morning. Not very apologetic though. Very annoyed!! People just do not have any consideration. So I am putting them back in their garden.
    Originally posted by sovereign
    If the neighbours cut your trees back to the boundary, by law they have to ask you if you want what they've cut off. If you don't, they have to get rid of it.
  • sirbrainy
    They were correct in law. If you dump it back in their garden they would be entitled to pay to have it carted away then charge you/ sue you for the money.

They'd win.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 29th Apr 11, 6:43 PM
    • 28,351 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    Mojisola
    They were correct in law. If you dump it back in their garden they would be entitled to pay to have it carted away then charge you/ sue you for the money..
    Originally posted by sirbrainy
    They weren't. They are required to offer the trimmings to the owner. They are not allowed to dump them in the owner's garden.

However, they may have believed that they had to return the wood to you and it won't help to escalate the problem. There's usually plenty of people on Freegle/Freecycle who will take away wood.
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 29th Apr 11, 6:45 PM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    Honestly, this is what people get upset with their neighbours about? I'm glad I don't live next to you!
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • sirbrainy
    They weren't. They are required to offer the trimmings to the owner. They are not allowed to dump them in the owner's garden.

However, they may have believed that they had to return the wood to you and it won't help to escalate the problem. There's usually plenty of people on Freegle/Freecycle who will take away wood.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Of course they are allowed to dump them in the OP's garden. That's the law.

I bet if you ask the OP, they probably left them in a neat pile, not just randomly scattered about.

They were simply following what is strictly required by law.

Yes - most people who lop off branches have a friendly word with the neighbour and ascertain that neighbour would be happy for the branches to be disposed of - and cart them away, happy to have got rid of the 'trespassing' branches.

It's extra work for the neighbour who lopped them off - work he doesn't have to do in law - but he does it to preserve the peace.

But if, for example, you are unable or unwilling to discuss the lopping with your neighbour and just go ahead (as is your right), then you MUST dump the bits in the neighbour's garden or risk being accused of theft.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 29th Apr 11, 7:09 PM
    • 28,351 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Of course they are allowed to dump them in the OP's garden. That's the law.
    Originally posted by sirbrainy
    No, it isn't.
  • sirbrainy
    Overhanging and Encroaching Trees
    Under common law, a person may cut back any branch (or root) from a neighbour’s tree that overhangs or encroaches onto their property. In cutting back any overhanging branches (or encroaching roots) the following points must be observed.

Do not trespass onto the land on which the trees are growing.

Do not cut back branches or roots beyond the boundary in anticipation of them overhanging.

Any branches, fruit or roots that are removed must be carefully returned to the tree owner unless they agree otherwise.

• sirbrainy
    Overhanging Branches

If the branches of a neighbour’s tree start to grow over to your side, you can cut them back to the boundary point between you and your neighbour’s property, as long as the tree is not under a tree preservation order. If it is, you’ll need to seek further clarification. However, the branches and any fruit on them which you may have cut down on your side still belong to the tree owner so they can ask you to return them.

Alternatively, you can return them and ask your neighbour to dispose of them themselves should you wish to do so.

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/rights-trees-and-overhanging-branches.html
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 29th Apr 11, 8:24 PM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    It's largely to do with where the roots of the trees are growing from (I work in my county council's countryside service). If the trees are growing from council-owned land, you need to contact your local borough/city (NOT county) council. They will have an arboricultural officer, or environmental officer, who can help you (look on their website and search there for "trees").

Good luck with your situation. xx
  • sirbrainy
    If the neighbours cut your trees back to the boundary, by law they have to ask you if you want what they've cut off. If you don't, they have to get rid of it.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Well I guess we have seen 'official' evidence pointing both ways.
    Last edited by sirbrainy; 30-04-2011 at 5:51 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter