Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Who pays for moving electricity supply pole (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Who pays for moving electricity supply pole
Views: 64,918
# 1
mr green
Old 01-12-2006, 5:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Who pays for moving electricity supply pole

I have an electricity supply pole in my garden and its in the way of an extension I am planning. The company have quoted me an astronomical price for moving it
I was under the impression that if it was also supplying other houses then the cost fell on the electricity company, does anybody have any experience of this or where I can find out about it other than the electric company
Thank you in anticipation
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr green For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
A Nice Englishman
Old 01-12-2006, 5:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't have personal experience of this situation but have read a bit about it. The key question is: Is there a wayleave agreement in place? This would (should!) have been investigated when you bought the property or when the pole was erected if that was after you bought the property.

My understanding is that if there is a wayleave agreement the electricity company has the right to erect the pole and will pay you an annual amount. If there is no wayleave agreement then you can require the company to remove the pole.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
# 3
sjw7
Old 01-12-2006, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My parents have one in their garden but it was already there when they brought the house. The owners who were living there when it was installed were paid a rent until they moved out. Any subsiquent owners were not paid the rent as they accepted that the pole was there when they purchased the place. My parents looked into whether they could get some rent but were told no by the council.

I am not sure about who pays to move it but it is their property not yours and as such i think is their responsibility. check with your local planning office who should know what the rules are governing it.
# 4
mr green
Old 01-12-2006, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=318595

Hi all,
Thank you for your replies. I bought the property a year ago and the pole was there. Im not bothered about receiving payment for it being on my land, I was only concerned as to who pays for it to be moved. I understood that if it was only supplying me then I had to pay but if was supplying other propertys then the electricity company paid the costs
# 5
MissBehaving
Old 01-12-2006, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My OH works as a linesman on High Voltage lines.
He has just said that the customer will end up paying for it as the electricity boards will not pay for it to be moved.
For the electricity board to pay them to fix / upgrade a line / pole it costs about 2500 so he doubts very much that they will pay for it to be moved because you are having an extension.

Sorry!
"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion".
# 6
A Nice Englishman
Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBehaving
My OH works as a linesman on High Voltage lines.
He has just said that the customer will end up paying for it as the electricity boards will not pay for it to be moved.
For the electricity board to pay them to fix / upgrade a line / pole it costs about 2500 so he doubts very much that they will pay for it to be moved because you are having an extension.

Sorry!

But if there is no wayleave agreement the OP can make them move it off his land at their expense (I think!). Was there anything about it in the title deeds?
You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
# 7
amosworks
Old 02-12-2006, 9:20 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

lol what if it "fell" down? By "accident" like? :rolleyes:
# 8
oldwiring
Old 02-12-2006, 1:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I did hear of a situation where the co stated a charge but the owner tralised that the annual payments for the wayleave had not been paid. In hos case the pole did not need moving but a restraining wire was in way of extension. Agreed to site pole in deeper foundation FOC. I'd guess that it was because they had broken the wayleave contract through non payment.
# 9
mr green
Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile moving an electricity pole

You may remember back in September last year, I was looking for advice on moving an electricity pole as it was in the way of a planned extension, well I'm glad to report that it has been moved. I found a company in Birmingham through a surveyor friend and they negotiate with the utility company and Hey Presto the electricity company fell over themselves to remove it and re connect underground at NO EXPENSE to me. Also BT had three cables on the pole and they too but up a new pole and re connected, NO COST to me. So from being quoted over 7000 to do the job, it only cost me a fee to the advising company. So if anyone needs advice from this company I will pass on their name to you. Mind you it took about five months altogether, but now I'm about to start digging. Yo!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mr green For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
ben500
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr green View Post
You may remember back in September last year, I was looking for advice on moving an electricity pole as it was in the way of a planned extension, well I'm glad to report that it has been moved. I found a company in Birmingham through a surveyor friend and they negotiate with the utility company and Hey Presto the electricity company fell over themselves to remove it and re connect underground at NO EXPENSE to me. Also BT had three cables on the pole and they too but up a new pole and re connected, NO COST to me. So from being quoted over 7000 to do the job, it only cost me a fee to the advising company. So if anyone needs advice from this company I will pass on their name to you. Mind you it took about five months altogether, but now I'm about to start digging. Yo!
Well done! By the way how much was the fee bearing in mind this may be recoverable on your insurance policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ben500 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MissBehaving
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hey Mr Green....
Wonderful to read about the brilliant result. Hope you enjoy your extension once it is finished!!!
"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion".
# 12
mr green
Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Who pays for moving electricity pole

Hi again thank you for your replies. The company charge 120 an hour but I was able to stop them doing any more work after the threatened CENTRAL networks with a Court Order. The done a site visit and drew up plans etc, charged me for 4 hours work, around 500 better than 7000 eh. Im looking up my insurance policy to see if i can claim it back.
It took about 5 months altogether. many visits by Central networks and BT, a long saga. Anyway, alls well that ends well. Anybody wants specific details or advice please ask.
# 13
doctorrobotnik
Old 18-06-2007, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default The answer to my problem?

I have the same problem in that I need to move my supply temporarily whilst work commences, then have it reconnected to the new extension, and also have my neighbour's overhead line moved as well because it too is in the way. I don't suppose you could advise me which Company you used, as moving the pole would seem the best and cheapest solution. Either that or a chainsaw!! Many thanks in anticipation.

Quote:
# 14
mr green
Old 21-06-2007, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi again, I have not been able to check this thread for some time, but I havve now replied to all those looking for the advice etc, Thanks to all for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr green For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
AlJulia
Old 03-07-2007, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

Hi,

I was wondering, as we have the same problem, if you could give me the company name who helped you in the pole shenanigans.

We have just moved into our house where there is an electricity pole earthed in our garden, although we knew it was there when we moved we are still waiting to find out what rights of access exist etc from our solicitors and ideally want to do an extension out the back for a new kitchen.

Many Thanks for any help.
# 16
Gardenguru
Old 02-09-2007, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
I have a hideously ugly pole in my cottage garden with a large transformer attached. It was there when I bought the house and I would be very grateful for the name of the company you used to help you get yours removed.
# 17
JohnNorfolk
Old 01-01-2008, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Can you send me details too please?
Many thanks
# 18
MissMeg
Old 03-01-2008, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Power supply pole removal

mr green, please will you send me the name/contacts of the Birmingham firm who sorted out the removal of your power supply pole as we are about to buy a cottage with one in the garden. It has a wayleave agreement and like you we were quoted huge fees for moving it. Thanks and happy new year!
Meg (Oxon.)
# 19
nivals
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Movement of electrical poles etc

How much per hour 120!!!! I have 24 years experiance in the utility sector and I offer the same services to local architects and devlopers in Merseyside, the current market rate is 38 per hour , with part hour billing.

there is no way I could get away with these prices or maybe I am cheap:confused: . Anyway as a quip pro quo most of the advice seems accurate. A wayleave is not tranferferable under a sale, therefore you can give notice to quit. Downside is that it can take 18months for the utility , particularly the electrical ones to get there backsides in to gear as its linked to their operation and maintenance targets. Is the pole feeding you property , if so it
can be catergorised as the service line, in which case without you have no power, if so it becomes a service alteration due to the extention covering its footprint area. however if it feeds you and then others then teh wayleave arguement can be used as you can insist that others plant cannot cross your land then there is an arguement for them to remove it under a notice to quit. They would also have to connect you as you are paying for electricity to a supplier of which the asset owner gets DUOS ( Distribiution use of system) payments of about 32 per annum for wires rental.

First call is that you request that the electrical DNO details to you what rights they have for the apparatus, record keeping becasue of nationalisation-privatisation and mergers is not always that accurate. I know of a NW utility that has 200+ substations with no wayleaves in place.
# 20
MissMeg
Old 04-01-2008, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you Nivals. The legal bumph for the cottage we are buying says there is a wayleave and that a small amount is payable to us annually by the power company. That suggests that in this case the wayleave IS transferable under our purchase of the property. It feeds our cottage and other properties. Even if we were prepared to pay the power company the huge fee for moving it, they could only do so if there were no objections from anyone about the proposed re-siting (and someone is bound to object, as nobody wants an ugly power supply pole in view). Anyway we will try giving them notice to quit as you suggest - but I'd still be grateful for news of a company who would do the battling for us if we needed support.