Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Apr 11, 8:40 PM
    • 13,811Posts
    • 15,845Thanks
    squeaky
    Quick questions on Consumer Rights
    • 8th Apr 11, 8:40 PM
    Quick questions on Consumer Rights 8th Apr 11 at 8:40 PM
    Hi,

If you have a query that you think will only need a quick yes or no answer then feel free to ask it here.

Otherwise you are very welcome to start a new thread.

Whatever you decide... good luck
    Last edited by squeaky; 20-04-2011 at 9:49 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Page 49
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 7,926 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Lady is a consumer. Fabric bought in person, then she commenced to sew the fabric straight away in the next room whilst on a retreat. Approx couple of hours later she refolded the piece (around 3 metres) and found a small mark. Looks like the mark was made by sticky tape and will probably be able to be removed.
    Originally posted by Pudding10
    If it is possible to easily remove it then the goods won't necessarily conform to contract - granted it was originally established under the sale of goods act that dirt that could be easily removed wouldnt give consumers the right to reject the goods and SoGA has now been replaced by Consumer Rights Act but I can't see any reason the finding (about dirt that could be easily removed not being a fault) wouldn't continue to apply under current legislation.

If it couldnt be easily removed then the law basically states if goods fail to conform at any time within the first 6 months, its assumed to be inherent unless the retailer proves otherwise or applying that rule would be inconsistent with how the goods fail to conform. Further complicated by the fact if the consumer exercises the short term right to reject (as opposed to repair/replace) in the first 30 days then its up to the consumer to prove the goods were inherently faulty.

If you're unsure of your obligations as a retailer, get in contact with your local trading standards, they should have some resources available to help point you in the right direction.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • chrisfreelander54
    • By chrisfreelander54 18th May 17, 7:57 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    chrisfreelander54
    Company changing delivery dates - consumer rights
    Back in February this year we visited the caravan and tent show to purchase our 1st ever tent.

On looking around at what was available we spoke to one of the reps on the show stand, who showed us around and the tent and stated the benefits of this particular tent compared to the others we had looked at.

As this tent ticked all the boxes we started to barter a better deal than what was actually the show offer, during the bartering the rep stated numerous times that the tent we we interested in buying wouldn't be delivered to us until the end of May, which meant the kids would then miss out on a few weekends away if we waited until then.

I spoke the kids about the options available as regards to getting one of the other tents we were interested in to be able to go away as the other tents would be delivered within 2 weeks of purchase.

The kids clearly stated that they would much prefer to wait until May to enable us to have a much better tent, so we went to the till with the rep, where before making payment the cashier informed that we wouldn't get the tent until the end of May and asked if this was ok, which I agreed.

Upon completion I was handed a receipt stapled to an invoice, setting out which tent was purchased and a delivery date as end of May.

Today I missed a call from the company that selling the tents, as I was at work (12hr shift), so text wife to call them to pay he balance, upon answering the phone the manager stated that they were seeing who has what holidays booked as they are unable to deliver to us until 2nd June.

The wife told them we have a deposit down on a break away on May 30th, and we offered a tent to borrow to enable us to go away still, this was turned down by the wife as she said we would like our own tent.

Now we have spoken to the camp about moving holiday dates and said as there is less than 30 days before arrival we are unable to move the date and will be a cancellation instead meaning we lose deposit.

I was thinking of emailing tent company to see if they would cover loss of deposit, is this something I could do as we have now missed out on another holiday or do here terms and conditions (below) not make this possible?

Delivery Times

Standard Delivery will normally be made within 2 to 5 working days from clearance of payment. We will endeavor to deliver goods within the times stated but goods are subject to availability and delay in delivery of goods is sometimes outside our control. Any dates we specify for the delivery of the goods are approximate only and we shall not be liable for any losses, costs, damages, charges, or expenses caused by any delay for delivery of the goods. If we or our suppliers are temporarily out of stock, we will notify you of this position and we would ask you to allow up to 14 days for dispatch of the goods. Although we hope you will not feel it necessary, you always have the right to cancel if you cannot wait for delivery.

Regards
    CF54
    YNAB is my new best friend.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 19th May 17, 1:19 AM
    • 10,705 Posts
    • 7,926 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Where did the terms come from? They sound like website T&C's.

While it may be worthwhile asking them about the deposit to see what they say (you don't ask, you definitely wont get!), I think you might be on a sticky wicket.

The only way imo that you might have claim for the deposit would be if you had it booked before buying the tent and told them before entering into the contract that delivery before x date was imperative due to you having a holiday booked and that the reason for the delay is within their control. Even then its sketchy - you're expected to take reasonable steps to mitigate your loss and not take unreasonable steps that increases your losses. The loan tent they're offering, if its a similar spec/size to the one you ordered, imo it might be seen as unreasonably allowing your losses to increase/failing to take reasonable steps to mitigate.

As I said, by all means ask them and see what they say. If you don't make any inroads then come back and open a new thread and we'll see if we can think of anything that might help.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 19th May 17, 7:14 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 4,873 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    The problem I could see you having is that you booked a camping space for 30th May but they originally said delivery would be the end of May, that could easily be late in the day on the 30th or 31st so why would you have booked a holiday for 30th before being given an actual delivery day? They are only going to be delayed by two days from their original promise and they have contacted you in plenty of time to let you know and offered a perfectly reasonable solution of a loan tent to tide you over.

If you choose to not accept it and end up out of pocket for losing your pitch then I can't see how they are liable for those costs as they are entirely preventable.

Look at it another way, you are driving along to your camping destination and your car breaks down, you are given the choice of missing your holiday and just going home or being given a courtesy car to keep you on the road with minimal disruption which option would you choose? Most reasonable people would choose the courtesy car and continue with their holiday.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 19th May 17, 3:41 PM
    • 9,190 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    You booked a holiday for a date before knowing your tent would definitely be delivered by that date (and delivery on 31 May would be within their ETD as mentioned above).

Your wife then turned down the offer of a loan tent.

Why should the tent supplier cover your loss of deposit?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin