Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • jimalton
    los pandos
    My investment of £30,000 matures on 11th March 2014, and I became worried when the phone number I'd previously used to contact M&C was no longer in service when I tried calling today. I've sent an email to Wendy Baggs, and hope she will respond.
    Before I made the investment 3 years ago I was invited to the los pandas site and visited it over a weekend, paying only my travelling costs. Everything seemed on the up and up, and it all looked genuine, especially with the world renowned partners they had. Also on the same trip was a couple who had invested previously and had got their money returned, and they were going to re-invest - hence it all looked quite good, and the annual return on investment of 12% (so 36% over 3 years) didn't seem too extraordinary, so I'm hoping that what I'm hearing and fearing will all be just a hiccup in the end.
    Regarding concerted action, I've done what a previous blogger has suggested and contacted jaime@bsa-lawinspain.com to see what he says.
  • BillJones
    People, before throwing good money after bad, please remember that it's a far from rare scam that the "lawyer" who'll offer to help with the case is aligned with the original fraudsters.

They'll take fees, tell you that they can recover your investment, need more fees, need to pay for "licenses", "searches", and so on and so forth, and this will keep going until you realise that you've been had. Again.
    • glamdring
    • By glamdring 7th Mar 14, 6:50 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    glamdring
    thanks for that advice...it had crossed my mind
    • ayayay
    • By ayayay 9th Mar 14, 9:43 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ayayay
    Reading penedawn's email is like watching a car crash in slow motion.
    • thenudeone
    • By thenudeone 10th Mar 14, 1:48 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    thenudeone
    Also on the same trip was a couple who had invested previously and had got their money returned, and they were going to re-invest - hence it all looked quite good,
    Originally posted by jimalton
    I have no specific information on this investment or company but is all a tried and tested way for dubious investments to get even more money - use funds from more recent investors to pay generous returns to the initial investors, so that they invest many times more.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • jimalton
    Los Pandos
    Hatch999 on 06-03-2014 says that Mr Montoro has clients for a class action, but in contacting Mr Montoro he says that his clients are invested in purchasing the land of Los Pandos, whereas my investment is in the vineyard itself; thus, he implies, my action cannot be joined with the others. Firstly, is it correct that some investors of Los Pandos have invested in the land, not the vineyard; secondly, is there anyone who is sure that they've invested in the vineyard only who'd be interested in contacting Mr Montoro. Note that my investment in the vineyard is supposed to be backed by the land of the vineyard and surrounds, so I hope there's no confusion here about the exact nature of the investment.
    • glamdring
    • By glamdring 11th Mar 14, 5:36 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    glamdring
    i am unsure about using a lawyer in spain...i feel I have already been robbed by people I cannot easily get hold of or visit on a regular basis
  • BillJones
    i am unsure about using a lawyer in spain...i feel I have already been robbed by people I cannot easily get hold of or visit on a regular basis
    Originally posted by glamdring
    If it's a fraud, your money is likely gone, so a lawyer is going to be no use at all.

Fraudsters do not generally create a profitable investment vehicle then just keep it; they tend to take it, spend it, and move on.

You need to ask yourself, what do you hope to get from this, and how do you hope to get it.
    • glamdring
    • By glamdring 12th Mar 14, 5:47 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    glamdring
    the choice isnt whether to get legal advice or not... and I havnt said I am.. the choice is whether to try and do something or to just stick our heads in the sand and hope things are fine..if you dnt try...you never know
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 12th Mar 14, 7:17 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    ruperts
    People, before throwing good money after bad, please remember that it's a far from rare scam that the "lawyer" who'll offer to help with the case is aligned with the original fraudsters.

They'll take fees, tell you that they can recover your investment, need more fees, need to pay for "licenses", "searches", and so on and so forth, and this will keep going until you realise that you've been had. Again.
    Originally posted by BillJones

I'm not involved in this, and I have no idea what's right and wrong in this situation, but just to add to this post, there is evidence online of a link between Mr Montoro and Martin & Clews going back fours:

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/2w6ok-want-invest-sum-37000-investment-opportunity.html

Maybe interesting that Montoro was apparently involved in 'assessing the credibility and drawing up contracts' of similar sounding investments back then.

Like I say I have no idea if that's normal, just passing on the info.
  • Murrpet
    Los Pandos would appear to be a scam
    Anyone wishing to join a group issuing proceedings against M&C to protect their investment should contact Jaime Montoro at BSA lawinspain asap.

jaime@bsa-lawinspain.com

The more that join the class action, the less the share of fees for all.

kind regards

David
    Originally posted by Hatch999
    According to another website (Ask the Expert) shown in the Los Pandos thread, Jaime Montoro could well be involved in the scam. I am raising Los Pandos with the Serious Fraud Office.
    • glamdring
    • By glamdring 16th Mar 14, 5:52 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    glamdring
    Hi...I would be interested to hear how you get on with the fraud dept...it is something I am contemplating
    • mardyy
    • By mardyy 17th Mar 14, 3:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mardyy
    i invested several years ago, on what i thought was a parcel of land to build a villa or resell, from there it went to a vineyard then an industrial park then to a multi million pound village,very fishy, it has even changed its name since then, it was jardin de los reyes originally.Luckily i got my money back as i kept chasing and threatening and i reckon i only got that back (in instalments may i add!) because they were still trying to con people into investing and didn't want a fuss or bad publicity till the scam had run its course.In my opinion its been a scam from day one, nothings happened in over 9 years and the project just gets bigger and the goalposts move, i think the fraud office should be involved!!
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 18th Mar 14, 11:48 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    My experience with another similarly worthless (as it turns out) investment is that if you are expecting action from "Action Fraud", you may well discover that they are not appropriately named.

Looking through some old emails the other day it turns out that I made some enquiries into the Los Pandos vineyard investment but didn't take it any further.
    • glamdring
    • By glamdring 20th Mar 14, 10:32 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    glamdring
    Hi....may I ask how you received your money in instalments? Was it pension funds that were used as the investment? If so how did they return your money to the trustees?
    Many Thanks
    • mardyy
    • By mardyy 20th Mar 14, 7:04 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mardyy
    hi
    i invested with my savings not a pension, and got concerned with all the changes etc and kept ringing the offices for info.As soon as the maturity was due i requested my funds back with the interest promised! they eventually after a lot of stalling agreed to pay the funds back to my bank which they did i think in three or 4 payments.This was several years ago and i think i only got it because i was one of the early investors and they didn't want a fuss or bad press.Hope it helps and you have some luck getting your money.
    • Chrisblue1962
    • By Chrisblue1962 20th Mar 14, 7:08 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    Chrisblue1962
    Isn't Los Pandos spanish for "The Plughole"?
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    26th December 2017 -
    £14,554.00 - 21.3% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!!
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• cidermill
    Re: Los Pandos
    We had an email from the person we bought this investment stating that we must be patient and the M& C have moved to Alicante and that they are allegedly sorting things out.
    We also received a round robin attachment from M&C to say they had moved, but no phone number.
    I think we will have a long wait also our patience is running out.
    At the time of purchase, they said the money was going into an 'ESCROW'. Does anyone know with whom and where this account is?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 25th Mar 14, 5:44 PM
    • 10,781 Posts
    • 7,103 Thanks
    bigadaj
    An escrow account is one in which neither party can access the money without the other parties agreement, or the escrow holders independent assessment as fulfilled by a contract. It could be with a large number of financial institutions if it exists at all.
  • jimalton
    Los Pandos
    Cidermill says that he has received a communication from M&C but there was no phone number included. I received an email from Eduardo Martin on the 13th of March, 2014, telling of the re-grouping in Altea, and it included these details through which they can be contacted:

Martin&Clews Consulting SL
    Carretera del Albir Nº9 - Altea 03590 - Alicante
    T: 966 880318
    F: 965 844223

I had found their phone number by other means and it took my contacting them to elicit the email I've mentioned.
    I've called and spoken to them about 4 times, and although I've been promised to be further contacted regarding the state of my investment, they have never honoured that promise - it is me who always has to phone them (and they answer the phone only about half the time).
    The person who seems to be dealing with the Los Pandos investors is Señor Tiste Orozco (el habla Ingles), and he says he is the PA to Eduardo Martin. I've also spoken to Angela (ella habla Ingles), but she says she knows nothing about Los Pandos.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

927Posts Today

6,752Users online

Martin's Twitter