Benefits check up guide and tool discussion

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
Forumite
edited 12 April 2011 at 6:04PM in Benefits & tax credits
This thread is to discuss the
please reply to ask a question and discuss.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Very useful tool but results page a little confusing. It looks as if I could get help with council tax because our non-dependant daughter living with us is on low income. However, there is a qualification that to get this benefit I must be in receipt of the guaranteed pension credit element. In that section it states that I am not eligible, which I accept, but surely the checker should then have negated the possible council tax benefit! Am I missing anything?
  • The calculator has calc'd a weekly income from my savings of almost 20% so says I am not entitled to any benefits. I'm actually getting an income of less than 2%??
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This calculator is a waste of time
    It appears to be under the dillusion that 17% interest is available on savings
    Also - it doesn't appear to cope with "contribution based" ESA !!
  • AngelBadger
    AngelBadger Posts: 413
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Very misleading calculator. It doesn't show age related Incapacity Benefit, and when I put all my details in, it told me that I was entitled much more than I actually am. Any income above £65 (ish) means that you get less housing and council tax benefits but it doesn't seem to take that into account. I'm not sure what use it is.
  • Hi, the jobseekers allowance of £67.00 - is this meant to cover food, clothing, gas and electric?..seems impossible
  • It is straight forward for me: my husband is on £25,000/year salary, I am off work since Jan/2010. Already claimed JSA contributions based (helped on food bill, already stopped), no prospects to find another job, no children, a 10 year old car, all possible CDs, old records, clothes sold, debts of £5,000 = NO BENEFITS entitlement whatsoever!!!
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, the jobseekers allowance of £67.00 - is this meant to cover food, clothing, gas and electric?..seems impossible
    and water.

Why is that impossible? Exclude clothing - existing wardrobe should be adequate for a few months. Why would you need more than £280 per month for the four basic needs?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bluehair wrote: »
    It is straight forward for me: my husband is on £25,000/year salary, I am off work since Jan/2010. Already claimed JSA contributions based (helped on food bill, already stopped), no prospects to find another job, no children, a 10 year old car, all possible CDs, old records, clothes sold, debts of £5,000 = NO BENEFITS entitlement whatsoever!!!

Who do you think should pay more taxes to give you benefits? Those wealthy people on £27.5K?

Why are you selling records and CDs if money is tight? That is when you should be holding on to things. Strange.
  • Please advise why / how this otherwise useful tool suggests I receive a weekly income of 380 pound on capital of 200,000 pounds i.e. almost 20% or ten times the best available through UK banks after the GFC ruined us all.

Can anyone tell me where to get 20% interest?

If not this tool needs to be overhauled and corrected; please do so.
  • Regret typos but concern is valid; the tool is dangerously inaccurate in miscalculating interest on capital. It over-estimates by a factor of 10plus, thus putting many out of reach of benefits.

Please do check how much it suggests YOU earn on capital and complain about fanciful estimates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure