Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Chocolate Fountain - any tips! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Chocolate Fountain - any tips!
Views: 39,920
# 1
shallowpockets
Old 29-11-2006, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Red face Chocolate Fountain - any tips!

Hi all

I've done a quick search and remember seeing some tips on the best chocolate to use sometime last year but I can't find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or pass on experience as kids are really excited about trying it and I can't hold them off any longer! It looks quite daunting and I don't want to waste money buying the wrong chocolate.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to shallowpockets For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
carrieparkinson
Old 29-11-2006, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to carrieparkinson

ive heard that galaxy is the best sort... about 400g a time . i hAVENT got a cf yet, santas bringing it..... but ive dun a lil research ready..
does my bum look big in this sig?
The Following User Says Thank You to carrieparkinson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
squeaky
Old 29-11-2006, 3:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

There's a thread that has a link in it which mentions Belgian Chocolate. That's the closest I could get. Sorry.

Oh... you want the link?

http://www.chocolatedrops.co.uk/productshire.asp

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
black-saturn
Old 29-11-2006, 3:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes it was agreed belgian chocolate was the best. I'm planning on having one at my wedding.
# 5
newlywed
Old 29-11-2006, 3:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

£10 postage for buying a £9 pack of chocolate!!! Hmmm think I'll try the cheapest chocolate I can find when we test ours out! Ours came with a booklet which told you how much oil to add to the chocolate if you weren't using the "special formula" one.
Grocery Challenge August = 220 (in my dreams!!)
DMP support thread (member #32)

# 6
magnolia65
Old 29-11-2006, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We bought one last year for my daughters B/day party and just used 2 large blocks of Cadbury's and added the stated amount of oil... it tasted fine
Not in debt at the moment, but been there in the past and realise I'm the kind of person who could easily fall back into it with the self destructing spending button so making sure I keep on top of being a good girl.

2.00 saver club = 46.00
1.00 Friday saver club = 5.00
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magnolia65 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Always Marvellous
Old 29-11-2006, 5:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have used Cadbury's and it was fine. I have also tried Galaxy and that was fine too. When we first used ours we were a bit wary of putting oil in but you definately can't taste it and we even put a bit extra in to make the chocolate run better.

When we first set ours up it said in the instructions you should use a chocolate high in cocoa solids which we did but it tasted horrible so I reckon just use what you prefer to eat

Have a great time trying it out!
Everything is always marvellous...eventually!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Always Marvellous For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
irishwench69
Old 29-11-2006, 5:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Actually (actually!), cheaper chocolate is good......it's because of the chocolate : fat ratios, meaning you add less oil to the cheaper chocolate.

We have used tesco and sainsburys value chocolate (as in literally the 50p / 200gr bars!!).......both YUM!

If you want, I can dig out the booklet that came with mine for amounts of oil that's reccomended?

Ooh, want to dig mine out now........mmmm, can I justify it when it's only me and OH?!

HTH,

IW x
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to irishwench69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
zoologygeek
Old 29-11-2006, 5:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

In my fountain I used Asda's own brand chocolate & it worked a treat...dont forget to put a little veg oil in it to get it lovely & smooth & shiny!!!
Just a tip thou cause we learnt the hard way.....if you add vodka to it (for the big kids oly!!!)make sure you add it to the melted choc before you put in the fountain. I added vodka staight into the chocloate in the fountain & it became all congealed & horrible & I had to start over!!!
# 10
DopeyDylan
Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default The Chocolate in a Chocolate Fountain

Hi All,

I've bought my sis a Chocolate Fountain for chrimbo.... however, due to a voucher code problem it's cost me more than I expected, and doesn't include any chocolate....

I have 2 questions....
1) Anyone know whether the chocolate required for these things is different to just a slab of the normal stuff?

2) Anyone know where I can buy some chocolate that is suitable for the fountain (pretty cheap)?

Thanks in advance you lurvly people!
Dylan
# 11
Edinburghlass
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM

You can use just normal chocolate and Tesco's value chocolate is really quite tasty, we use it for chocolate fondue all the time.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Bossyboots
Old 12-12-2006, 1:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburghlass
You can use just normal chocolate and Tesco's value chocolate is really quite tasty, we use it for chocolate fondue all the time.
We were at a party last year and were told by the people operating a chocolate fountain that unless you add oil to the chocolate it does not flow.

I seem to remember as well when these first became the "in thing" people were posting here about their difficulties in getting the chocolate to flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bossyboots For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
DopeyDylan
Old 12-12-2006, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So is there a particular oil to use?!?!
# 14
thriftyjo
Old 12-12-2006, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

we dont use oil and ours flows - strange ............
# 15
Nile
Old 12-12-2006, 1:45 PM

Hello DopeyDylan

There is an existing thread about chocolate fountains in the 'Old Style' board. It's called Chocolate Fountain - any tips!

I'll move your thread to the 'Old Style' board and the Board Guides might want to merge your thread with the existing one.

Regards

Nile
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
squeaky
Old 12-12-2006, 4:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Hi DopeyDylan

I've added your post onto the end of the thread that Nile pointed to (thank you Nile). Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up.

Good luck
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
betterbargains4u
Old 13-12-2006, 1:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I own and operate a chocolate fountain rental company

We only use Barry Callebaut Belgian chocolate in our machines...which is the best you can buy.
Thorntons chocolates are all covered with this chocolate.
If you do not add some oil to your home chocolate fountain, the chances are it will not flow smoothly. Use vegetable oil only and you will not be able to taste it....gauranteed. Just don't add too much!!!

Last edited by squeaky; 13-12-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: to remove link
# 18
myrnahaz
Old 13-12-2006, 9:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Tesco sell a huge bag (1 kg, I think) of belgian chocolate reduced to £12.99 -it's in the christmas aisle - it looks like loads of whole, unwrapped bars stacked up on each other in a cellophane bag. I haven't tasted it, but thought it was worth a mention.
# 19
PONDSAVER
Old 15-12-2006, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had a fantastic idea of adding baileys to the chocolate fountain last night when the kiddies had gone to bed but it all curdles and went very thick and lumps - What did I do wrong I thought this would have been yummy......
Lightbulb moment 10-06-06
Total debt 36,996.70 June 2006
Total debt approx 33,000 Oct 2006
Jan 07....to be worked out but may have gone up GULP:confused:
DFD March 2011
DFW Nerd 111

19 jan 23 feb 5 weeks - grocery challenge 250
# 20
ajr
Old 15-12-2006, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I do single cream with chocolate melted in. Its yummy!!