Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > The best mince pie pastry ever? (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The best mince pie pastry ever?
Views: 114,096
# 41
Alfietinker
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, I just had to bring this up again. I made these on Friday (I got 31 pies ) and it was the best pastry I have ever, ever made! Even my hubby who "doesn't like mince pies" has been scoffing them!!!! Thank you so much to Researcher and her neighbour.
New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfietinker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
helen81
Old 11-12-2006, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,
Me and DS are about to have a crack at making these...hope they turn out good..im usually so rubbish at pastry!!!

Helen x
The Following User Says Thank You to helen81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
Louisepp
Old 11-12-2006, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm useless at pastry. My mothers pastry was wonderful. So light and crumbly.

She used to add some fizzy lemonade when mixing. No idea if that was her 'secret'
The Following User Says Thank You to Louisepp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
cqdaniels
Old 19-12-2006, 9:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Cool

Not ever having had any success with pastry before, I must say that these were scrummy!

One problem though, I stored the few that were left over in a tupperware box and the pastry has gone very soft. I was going to make some on Christmas Eve to take to my parents the next day but am now worried they will just go soft. Help!
The Following User Says Thank You to cqdaniels For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
researcher
Old 19-12-2006, 9:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,
you could:
Freeze them - this works very well and I have some in my freezer now. If no room then 'refresh' them in the oven - I find a few minutes (5ish) in a medium oven does the job.

Also I store mine in a biscuit tin - rather than tupperware, and I don't find they go soft - maybe that the trick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to researcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
pigpen
Old 19-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Mine don't last long enough to store!

I put them on a plate in the microwave and they are usually gone within 24 hours!!

My mother kept a few in an ice cream tub and they saved ok
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (07/30)
6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
The Following User Says Thank You to pigpen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
HappyIdiotTalk
Old 21-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to HappyIdiotTalk Send a message via Skype™ to HappyIdiotTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb5
Mincemeat pies

Makes 2 dozen

10 oz plain flour
1 oz ground almonds
6 oz butter
3 oz caster sugar
rind of 1/2 lemon
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons milk
Is that salted or unsalted butter? Got friends round tonight expecting HM mince pies and mulled wine. Never made them before but thought I'd give yours a go. Wish me luck, one of the guests is a chef, and his wife could be a Michelin inspecter!
SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyIdiotTalk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
vivaladiva
Old 21-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Will this thread do for Trex, what we did for Stardrops?
I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivaladiva For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
VickyM
Old 21-12-2006, 3:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyIdiotTalk
Is that salted or unsalted butter? Got friends round tonight expecting HM mince pies and mulled wine. Never made them before but thought I'd give yours a go. Wish me luck, one of the guests is a chef, and his wife could be a Michelin inspecter!
I've used this recipe many times and it is really worth doing. I've always used salted butter - I think when Katie Stewart wrote this recipe (back in the 70s) unsalted butter just didn't feature!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VickyM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
morganlefay
Old 21-12-2006, 3:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: As far away from the sea as is possible in England, and I miss it !

I've gotta say that I've made the Katie Stewart pastry for years and we like it tho it's a right pain to roll out (v sticky) but this year I tried the Trex ones (which I see today in Waitrose is now saying that it's 'Free from hydrogenated fats' which it wasn't last week) and they were a DODDLE to make and wonderfully short and light. IMHO if I were new to mincepies, and cooking for a chef, I'd definitely avoid the Katie Stewart ones and go for the Trex ones which could be rolled out straight away and were really good.
The Following User Says Thank You to morganlefay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
dannahaz
Old 22-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Researcher
Thanks for posting this!

This is the first time I have made pastry since I was at school. It's turned out quite well, but I think I had the mixture a bit too dry. Shame it means I'll just HAVE to make a second batch!

Thanks again

EDITED 6 hours later to add. OMG. I wrote the above just after I turned the pies out of their tins. It's now 6 hours later, the pies are cold and I can't stop eating them.

Last edited by dannahaz; 22-12-2006 at 5:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannahaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
tankgirl1
Old 23-12-2006, 8:49 AM

thanks for the recipie OP, have got some mince pies to make today, and am going to have a bash with this- although i'll have to use half lard/half butter as i dont have any trex.

will update later
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
The Following User Says Thank You to tankgirl1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
demented
Old 23-12-2006, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by researcher
My elderly neighbour has at last given me her recipe for her mince pies. Do try it, I promise you will be surprised by how excellent it is. I will reproduce it exactly as she taught me yesterday.

Yield - 3 dozen pies.

1 lb Self raising Flour
8 oz Trex
4 oz caster sugar
1 egg
little water

2 jars mincemeat.

Rub fat into flour and sugar until resembling fine breadcrumbs. Lightly beat the egg, and mix in with a knife adding a little water. Resulting paste should be smooth and soft and very pliable. No need to rest in fridge.

Roll out thinly, you will need plenty of flour as the pastry is quite sticky - this is correct as it will 'thicken' slightly when cooking.

Line your mince pie tins with the pastry (greased with trex), we used a pallett knife and place a spoonful of mince in each, place on pastry tops and seal gently with finger tips (no added liquid necessary). Be careful, this pastry is soft to work with.

Cook at appx 180/90c until lightly golden. (Appx 20 - 25 mins, but will depend on your oven).

Leave pies in tins to cool for a few minutes and then place a wire rack on top and tip over - tap the bottoms of each pie and they will slip out. (Don't attempt to hook out with a knife - they will break!) Then you can turn them up the right way to cool.

Sprinkle with a little sugar if preferred.

This pasty will be crisp, yet crumbly - keeps and freezes exceptionally well and her pies are legendary - she is asked to make 100's each year.

Happy eating
Hi Researcher, I am going to make some mincepies tonight, just wanted to make sure that i will be using the right flour, The recipe states Self raising flour, is it supposed to be SR or should it be Plain flour that is normally used for shortcrust pastry. Just wanted to check. Thanks a harrassed demented
20p savers club
before joining had nothing
joined on 19/03
now have 40.00 saved
saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
Amazon sellers club member 31
The Following User Says Thank You to demented For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
tankgirl1
Old 23-12-2006, 8:35 PM

well made mince pies this aft- got 32 from the recipie, and they are delish! had rave reviews off my mum, which is saying something, as she is the mince pie queen in these parts

so thanks again OP
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

The Following User Says Thank You to tankgirl1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
tankgirl1
Old 23-12-2006, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented
Hi Researcher, I am going to make some mincepies tonight, just wanted to make sure that i will be using the right flour, The recipe states Self raising flour, is it supposed to be SR or should it be Plain flour that is normally used for shortcrust pastry. Just wanted to check. Thanks a harrassed demented

its supposed to be SR flour. at least thats what i used, and they turned out fab

hth

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tankgirl1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
demented
Old 23-12-2006, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

Thank you tankgirl1, I wasn't sure about the flour and didn't want to faff about using the wrong flour. I am now off to make the pies, I have just finished making some Chicken Liver pate, and tomorrow i am going to make the dog some Biscuits from a recipe that i have just come across.
Thanks for you help. A not nearly so harrassed demented.

20p savers club
before joining had nothing
joined on 19/03
now have 40.00 saved
saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
Amazon sellers club member 31
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demented For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
researcher
Old 23-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just logged on - yes it is self raising flour - I was really surprised too - by now you'll be getting the first lot out of the oven - hope they're delicious?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to researcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
Lara
Old 24-12-2006, 8:09 AM

Question Dog Biscuits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented
and tomorrow i am going to make the dog some Biscuits from a recipe that i have just come across.
Ooooo dog biscuits......are they low fat..................doggie has an ermm slight weight problem! these could be her Christmas present .......... . Could you share receipe with me please - on another thread of course . Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lara For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
BusyGirl
Old 24-12-2006, 5:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I made a batch with some help from my two daughters this afternoon. WOW! They are the best (even when made by me)! I feel like a domestic godess and I can't wait to give them to my visitors tomorrow.
Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to BusyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
lainey stardust
Old 01-10-2007, 7:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi all. just want to say thanks for sharing this recipe. I made two dozen this morning as a tester for xmas and I have to say they are great!! My family and friends all will be getting boxes of these for xmas this year
doing what I do best...trying!!-- lainey
Proud to be a Wooligan

Last edited by lainey stardust; 01-10-2007 at 7:12 PM. Reason: correcting spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to lainey stardust For This Useful Post: Show me >>