Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > ESA - Partner works 25 hours (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
ESA - Partner works 25 hours
Closed Thread
Views: 2,578
# 1
depression
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default ESA - Partner works 25 hours

This question may well have been answered and if so I am sorry.But I find the whole benefits system so confusing

I'm on Incapacity Benefit and will be moved to ESA.My partner works pt 25 hours a week, but this does not give us enough to live on.Will I still be entitled to ESA?
# 2
dmg24
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you are put in the Support Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA indefinitely so your partner's income will not affect your entitlement.

If you are put in the Work Related Activity Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA for one year only, and then you will be assessed for IB ESA. If your partner works 25 hours it is very unlikely that you will qualify at this time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
stella65
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post
If you are put in the Support Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA indefinitely so your partner's income will not affect your entitlement.

If you are put in the Work Related Activity Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA for one year only, and then you will be assessed for IB ESA. If your partner works 25 hours it is very unlikely that you will qualify at this time.
I have recently moved in with a friend (of the opposite sex). Been slated on here before for saying this - as nobody seems to believe that in 2011, peolple cannot live in a platonic relationship.

Anyway - I moved because I lived alone, and have been in ill health for a couple of years (well more than that, but the last two have been worse), and there were break ins where I lived, and my family and friends had moved away.

Since moving a few weeks ago, I feel better in my mind already. I feel safer, and the company and support is good.

The DWP and Jobcentre know of my arrangement, as I informed them. But I now have an interview at the Jobcentre - to ask me about my living arrangements. This is fine, as all is above board. My friend is self employed - so some weeks are busier than others. But due to climate change - business is quiet at the moment.

So, how would this work?

Also - I get confused over the income based and contribution based ESA.

Sorry for long story
# 4
dmg24
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella65 View Post
I have recently moved in with a friend (of the opposite sex). Been slated on here before for saying this - as nobody seems to believe that in 2011, peolple cannot live in a platonic relationship.

Anyway - I moved because I lived alone, and have been in ill health for a couple of years (well more than that, but the last two have been worse), and there were break ins where I lived, and my family and friends had moved away.

Since moving a few weeks ago, I feel better in my mind already. I feel safer, and the company and support is good.

The DWP and Jobcentre know of my arrangement, as I informed them. But I now have an interview at the Jobcentre - to ask me about my living arrangements. This is fine, as all is above board. My friend is self employed - so some weeks are busier than others. But due to climate change - business is quiet at the moment.

So, how would this work?

Also - I get confused over the income based and contribution based ESA.

Sorry for long story
If the DWP are satisfied that you are not a couple, your friend's income will not affect your claim. Therefore you would still qualify for IB ESA (assuming you do not have capital over the prescribed levels).
The Following User Says Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
depression
Old 07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

Thanks so much for your reply.Sorry to be dense about this but what does CB mean?

I think your answer means if I am put in a support group my partners income is not included in any calcilations. But if I am put in a work related group I may not recieve anything?
The Following User Says Thank You to depression For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
dmg24
Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depression View Post
Thanks so much for your reply.Sorry to be dense about this but what does CB mean?

I think your answer means if I am put in a support group my partners income is not included in any calcilations. But if I am put in a work related group I may not recieve anything?
CB means Contributions based - if you are receiving Incapacity Benefit you will be moved onto CB ESA.

Yes, if you are put into the Support Group your partner's income will not count. If you are put in the WRAG then after a year his income will be taken into account. How much does he earn?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
lookingforsun
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
CB means Contributions based - if you are receiving Incapacity Benefit you will be moved onto CB ESA.

Yes, if you are put into the Support Group your partner's income will not count. If you are put in the WRAG then after a year his income will be taken into account. How much does he earn?

Are you sure this is true? I was in the 'support group' of ESA, and when I was moving in with my partner, I was told that his income WOULD be taken into account.

I was also on income-based ESA - not contributions based... and it was DEFINITELY the support group!
# 8
lookingforsun
Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

To add; I know of two other people who are on ESA & are in the support group, they also get the income based type, as the contribution based one isn't due to you being in the support or work related activity group - it is based on your NI contributions
# 9
stella65
Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
If the DWP are satisfied that you are not a couple, your friend's income will not affect your claim. Therefore you would still qualify for IB ESA (assuming you do not have capital over the prescribed levels).
Thank you for that.
At the end of the day - I can only answer their questions, and I can do no more than that.

I am lucky to have such a good friend to live with. He is good to a lot of people. Maybe I can win the lottery one day and repay him lol

I have seen the questions I will be asked by the Jobcentre - and as usual with the DWP etc - they do not take into consideration that everybody is in a different situation.

But hey ho - I am not going to stress over it - as that just makes my pain worse.

Thank you again - you have been very kind
The Following User Says Thank You to stella65 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
dmg24
Old 07-04-2011, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforsun View Post
Are you sure this is true? I was in the 'support group' of ESA, and when I was moving in with my partner, I was told that his income WOULD be taken into account.

I was also on income-based ESA - not contributions based... and it was DEFINITELY the support group!
The OP will be on CB ESA as they are being migrated from IB, so their situation is different from yours.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
depression
Old 07-04-2011, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

Thanks so much for your reply.It's she that earns, and its about £21,000 a year. I know this wouldnt be taken into any account but my illness has caused a great strain on our relationship and she feels that she should not have to support me. And she has to pay all the household and childtrens costs. I know I should only get what I am entitled to and am I right in thinking that whatever happens either in the support group or work related group I will get some ESA for 12 months?

Last edited by depression; 07-04-2011 at 1:35 PM.
# 12
dmg24
Old 07-04-2011, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depression View Post
Thanks so much for your reply.It's she that earns, and its about £21,000 a year. But she has to pay all the household and childtrens costs. I know I should only get what I am entitled to and am I right in thinking that whatever happens either in the support group or work related group I will get some ESA for 12 months?
Yep, you will receive some ESA either way for twelve months. Some people are suggesting that those who are migrated from IB will have their time counted on IB towards the twelve months, but from what I have read that is not the case. Obviously, the govt may change their mind about the whole thing before it comes into effect!
The Following User Says Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Tehya
Old 07-04-2011, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella65 View Post
Just ignore some people, they couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

I'd love to see what these people would have thought about my situation over 20 years ago. I ended up living with 3 men after moving to Devon from Leeds with my friend and her 2 male cousins. She met someone and moved in with him. Her room was then rented to another man which meant I ended up sharing with 3 guys who I had no romantic thoughts towards whatsoever.

So come on folks it is quite possible to share with a guy and not be "living together". Mind you convincing the DWP may just be another matter.
# 14
stella65
Old 07-04-2011, 2:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehya View Post
Just ignore some people, they couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

I'd love to see what these people would have thought about my situation over 20 years ago. I ended up living with 3 men after moving to Devon from Leeds with my friend and her 2 male cousins. She met someone and moved in with him. Her room was then rented to another man which meant I ended up sharing with 3 guys who I had no romantic thoughts towards whatsoever.

So come on folks it is quite possible to share with a guy and not be "living together". Mind you convincing the DWP may just be another matter.
Hiya - thank you for that
I know - it is ridiculous.
I know some people 'try it on' - but I have no reason to, it would not benefit me in anyway

The questions on the form are not easy though - as they are not suited to everybodys situation. But I can only answer them and see what happens.

What a mad world we live in.
Closed Thread