Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments > how much does it cost to own a static caravan? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how much does it cost to own a static caravan?
Views: 55,521
# 1
WOW Factor 0
teacherandmum
Old 05-04-2011, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile how much does it cost to own a static caravan?

i know this isn' money saving per se but hoping it will be in the long term for us i.e. buy a static and do hols to it and rent out rather than paying for hotels/camping etc through the year, each year.

So my questions..
how much does it cost to own a static caravan to begin with?
what about annual fees? do you pay to site it? gas/water/council tax????

We woukld want to use it at weekends and school holidays, what would be a suitable travel time away from home? An hour or two?

any info gratefully received
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
welshmoneylover
Old 05-04-2011, 8:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherandmum View Post
i know this isn' money saving per se but hoping it will be in the long term for us i.e. buy a static and do hols to it and rent out rather than paying for hotels/camping etc through the year, each year.

So my questions..
how much does it cost to own a static caravan to begin with?
what about annual fees? do you pay to site it? gas/water/council tax????

We woukld want to use it at weekends and school holidays, what would be a suitable travel time away from home? An hour or two?

any info gratefully received
I suppose it depends on the actual camp site, but I've heard fees of 3500 are not uncommon.

I often wonder how people finance caravans. I recently had a look around some brand new caravans and the prices were 35k+

They were lovely though and if I won the lottery I'd definitely have my own
Good on the Tories
# 3
daveyjp
Old 05-04-2011, 8:55 PM

The costs mount up. Buying it (20k minimum for anything half decent), ground rent, maintenance charges, gas, electric, maintenance, insurance plus the costs incurred in getting to it every weekend - to all intents and purposes it is like having another house.

Once you start renting you have to manage it and this is hard work - colleagues have had holiday cottages and it becomes a full time job at weekends doing the turn rounds, or paying someone to do it for you. If you intend using it at weekends you are limiting how long you can rent it out for.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
# 4
greenface
Old 05-04-2011, 8:58 PM

All differs but you have started this thought the wrong way around . You need to rent it out at weekends and especially school holidays we own a staic in north wales fees are approx 2.5k p.a with no council tax payable as its not my permenant residence although this becomes sketchy to me as some people stay on our site for 10 months season and i never asked if they paid CTax . We dont let this out . We also own a cottage on a holiday park we do rent out fees are approx the same plus council tax (850) If we are luck enough to rent for the full 7 weeks summer and 2 weeks easter we break even (site fees ,insurance,council tax,ground rent etc )(approx 3.5 k P.A )If you need to finance the purchase i think you will not break even on most sites and use it yourself.But good luck its harder work than you think
North Wales Holiday Home Owner
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenface For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ailuro2
Old 05-04-2011, 9:01 PM

you also need to realise that some sites are stirct about the condition of caravans they allow to be parked on them, an old work colleague was told they had to buy a new caravan or remove their old one as it had reached the 10 year maximum age rule of the site... even though it was spotless it had to be removed as it was over-age!
Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
# 6
teacherandmum
Old 05-04-2011, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

greenface - unfort with me and hubby working full time, weekends are the only time we can get there. I'm a school teacher so ditto to school holidays.

The site i have been looking at has a 2008 2 bed (heated/double glazed) for 18k which includes site fees for 2 years.

we may ask my parents and/or my sister and her family if they want to split the cost and use of it????
# 7
greenface
Old 05-04-2011, 9:18 PM

Not a bad idea to split fees and costs Esp as you seem prepared to use it alot between you but i cant see a option to let out . What are the current fees ? what general area ? how far from you? whats on site .? How long is it open ? do you have to renew after 10/15 years or at the owners discression ? Whats your feelings saying . would you stay there .Have you how much per week to rent . LOTS and lots of questions
The Following User Says Thank You to greenface For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
welshmoneylover
Old 05-04-2011, 9:38 PM

Forgot to mention earlier, I know someone who sited a caravan and they were also responsible for maintaining and cutting the grass around the caravan. For 3k+ fees I'd want the lot manicured with nail clippers
Good on the Tories
# 9
pompeyfaith
Old 05-04-2011, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Be very careful which site you use do your research and read everything before signing even go as far as getting second opinion I say this because I have read many sad stories.

Do your research and do not be rushed
# 10
Gloomendoom
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM

As has been said, it varies greatly depending on the site.

Ours costs us 25 a year.
# 11
greenface
Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomendoom View Post
As has been said, it varies greatly depending on the site.

Ours costs us 25 a year.
More details please , my green wheelybin costs me 26 per year just to have a wash. It cost 26 for a take away for 4 of us..
# 12
Gloomendoom
Old 06-04-2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenface View Post
More details please , my green wheelybin costs me 26 per year just to have a wash. It cost 26 for a take away for 4 of us..
Ha ha. You probably wouldn't like it. It is all on its own on a small plot rented from a farmer. There's been a caravan there for sixty years or so (not the same one!) My grandfather took it over forty years ago and it's been passed down to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloomendoom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
greenface
Old 06-04-2011, 8:50 PM

I would love that brilliant retreat for ten bob a week
# 14
Desperado99
Old 06-04-2011, 8:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshmoneylover View Post
Forgot to mention earlier, I know someone who sited a caravan and they were also responsible for maintaining and cutting the grass around the caravan. For 3k+ fees I'd want the lot manicured with nail clippers

This reminds me of my dad's caravan. He bought his new (50K including all the decking, a few years back) and pays about 3k in annual fees. All his neighbours mow their lawns etc, and get really stroppy with him for not cutting 'his' lawn. He just goes off to the office and tells them to do it (which they do, because they are supposed to)

As he says, he didn't buy a caravan to spend all his time cutting the grass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desperado99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
adviceforall
Old 07-04-2011, 9:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

At Haven parks you have:
The cost of buying your caravan, HP or cash varies form caravan to caravan
Site fees are the biggest expense which vary from site to site and even different places within a park.
Gas and electric ( ours are piped gas some parks have bottles which you can buy yourself)you also have to pay an availability charge.
Caravan insurance, we do ours through the park some owners arrange theirs themselves
Rates ( no council tax)
Haven do all the grass cutting, I think ours is cut weekly.
You are responsible for keeping the underneath / around the caravan clean and tidy.
Haven run an owners referral scheme where existing owners can refer new owners to the park, the new owners if they buy can obtain a 1000 discount by going through an owner and getting a voucher from them.
I know I have not provided any amounts but it really does vary from caravan/park, if you would like an idea what we pay them please pm me.
The Following User Says Thank You to adviceforall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
greenface
Old 07-04-2011, 4:08 PM

In the static we get a allowance of over 100 per year included in our fees although as prices have gone up we are getting less ellecy for our 100 needs a rebalance me thinks. Cottages/chalets have a coin/card meter for ellecy and seem to be metered fairly but watch certain site make their own rules as pompeyfaithful has said .
# 17
greenface
Old 07-04-2011, 4:14 PM

IMHO i have found haven to be one of the best above board clear parks with their homeowners being more valued than many others. A good reasonable return for owner subletters . Also a good place to enjoy Havens parks for a owner user. Getting the balance right is the hardest
# 18
hethmar
Old 07-04-2011, 5:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Would it be a better idea to buy a decent trailer tent - the sort that goes up in 30 seconds and you can then go when/where you want? Ive been looking at the Combi Camp ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSV3nBfDd4

http://www.combi-camp.co.uk/

Last edited by hethmar; 07-04-2011 at 5:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hethmar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
born blonde
Old 07-04-2011, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I love my static. Bought it in October for a steep price but it has a brilliant location with no neighbours on our left just uninterrupted views. The park has a shop, club, launderette and childrens play area non of which we tend to use except the shop. Site fees 2,500, insurance 140 electricity by meter and gas by the cylinder.
It's our second home ready when we are except for 6 weeks a year when the park is closed.
I don't want to rent it out at the moment but it is always an option.
Good luck and do your research.
The Following User Says Thank You to born blonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Foggster
Old 07-04-2011, 7:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by born blonde View Post
I love my static. Bought it in October for a steep price but it has a brilliant location with no neighbours on our left just uninterrupted views. The park has a shop, club, launderette and childrens play area non of which we tend to use except the shop. Site fees 2,500, insurance 140 electricity by meter and gas by the cylinder.
It's our second home ready when we are except for 6 weeks a year when the park is closed.
I don't want to rent it out at the moment but it is always an option.
Good luck and do your research.
This is similar to ours. We have our own meter and we pay at the end of the season at a great rate. We use ours for 9 months of the year and we use around 2 gas bottles which works out about 10 a month so not extortionate.

It depends what you want it for. Its like a car in that it isnt an investment unless you want to sub let. Personally we only sub to friends and family because it is a lovely van and we dont like the idea of any Tom Dick and Harry using it and not treating it well.

We are on a private site with a laundrette and great club house with good food and entertainment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Foggster For This Useful Post: Show me >>