Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bzd
    • By bzd 4th Apr 11, 10:14 AM
    • 109Posts
    • 77Thanks
    bzd
    Inform Halifax about use of card abroad?
    • 4th Apr 11, 10:14 AM
    Inform Halifax about use of card abroad? 4th Apr 11 at 10:14 AM
    Hi all,

As recommended on this website I have a Halifax Clarity card for use abroad.

Do I need to phone Halifax to say I'm going to be using it abroad to avoid it being rejected or temporarily suspended or can I just go ahead and use it when on holiday?

Thanks for any (relevant) advice,

Ben
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 4th Apr 11, 10:48 AM
    • 20,684 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 4th Apr 11, 10:48 AM
    • 4th Apr 11, 10:48 AM
    Well in theory you shouldn't need to, but it could help avoid problems especially if you are going somewhere unusual or visiting lots of places on a cruise ship.
    Use in lots of different places could be picked up as fraud.
    Personally I always tell them.

Also take a back up card just in case mag strip fails or one gets lost/stolen.
    If going out close to your base then I would only take what you need (cash for a taxi to get back) and leave the rest in the safe at the hotel. Don't carry your wordly goods around with you.
  • hunsbury0
    • 4th Apr 11, 11:31 AM
    • 4th Apr 11, 11:31 AM
    Hi all,

As recommended on this website I have a Halifax Clarity card for use abroad.

Do I need to phone Halifax to say I'm going to be using it abroad to avoid it being rejected or temporarily suspended or can I just go ahead and use it when on holiday?

Thanks for any (relevant) advice,

Ben
    Originally posted by bzd
    I am going abroad. I rang them & they filled out a "holiday" form.
    It is best to advise them & also take other cards as a backup.
    • Degenerate
    • By Degenerate 4th Apr 11, 6:35 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,466 Thanks
    Degenerate
    • 4th Apr 11, 6:35 PM
    • 4th Apr 11, 6:35 PM
    Some providers say not to bother informing them, others say they want to be told. Halifax are in the latter category.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Apr 11, 7:54 PM
    • 6,741 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 4th Apr 11, 7:54 PM
    • 4th Apr 11, 7:54 PM
    Nationwide always say 'No, you don't need to tell us'.

But most of the others, and Halifax is definitely one of them, do ask that you tell them, and they record it.
    • Colincbayley
    • By Colincbayley 4th Apr 11, 8:00 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Colincbayley
    • 4th Apr 11, 8:00 PM
    • 4th Apr 11, 8:00 PM
    I have been using a Halifax Clarity card abroad since last year, never told them I was going and I use it regular. Never had any problems.
    • Brodiebobs
    • By Brodiebobs 4th Apr 11, 8:03 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,949 Thanks
    Brodiebobs
    • 4th Apr 11, 8:03 PM
    • 4th Apr 11, 8:03 PM
    i never told them when i've been abroad, which has been a few times... oddly when used to book a group outing in york (i'm in west yorkshire) they called me to ask security questions as it flagged as fraud!!!?
    Addicted to MSE.
    Overpaying mortgage for a better debt free life!
  • CpdButWhy
    • 5th Apr 11, 6:06 PM
    • 5th Apr 11, 6:06 PM
    Nationwide always say 'No, you don't need to tell us'.

But most of the others, and Halifax is definitely one of them, do ask that you tell them, and they record it.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Not anymore. They (Nationwide) now recommend that you tell them, and they also provide a specialized page for it on their Internet Banking site.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Apr 11, 7:15 PM
    • 6,741 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 5th Apr 11, 7:15 PM
    • 5th Apr 11, 7:15 PM
    Not anymore. They (Nationwide) now recommend that you tell them, and they also provide a specialized page for it on their Internet Banking site.
    Originally posted by CpdButWhy
    That's new (certainly within the last three months).
  • Venusflytrap
    I have the clarity card and always alert them before travels abroad.

Halifax advised to give at least a week's notice.
  • CpdButWhy
    That's new (certainly within the last three months).
    Originally posted by Biggles

More like a half year. I used the page in October.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 6th Apr 11, 2:19 PM
    • 9,767 Posts
    • 2,834 Thanks
    chanz4
    I would inform all providers, then they cant say you have not done.
  • mancini601
    I've always informed the Halifax. As mentioned by someone else, they fill out a holiday form.

The form is card number, country where you are travelling to etc etc. They complete this with you over the phone
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 6th Apr 11, 4:12 PM
    • 6,741 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    Biggles
    More like a half year. I used the page in October.
    Originally posted by CpdButWhy
    I rang them in mid-December and, as usual, they told me they didn't need to know. Go figure.

But I have always rung them anyway just in case their policy has changed. I don't always read all the small print of the new T&Cs that are sent to me!
    • ahxcjb
    • By ahxcjb 2nd May 11, 11:33 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ahxcjb
    Some providers say not to bother informing them, others say they want to be told. Halifax are in the latter category.
    Originally posted by Degenerate
    That's funny, as I've used my Clarity card in around 6 European (West and East) countries without previously advising them, and all transactions have been authorised without issue.
    • Mikhail
    • By Mikhail 3rd May 11, 1:23 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Mikhail
    Storm in a teacup!
    • Degenerate
    • By Degenerate 3rd May 11, 3:08 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 3,466 Thanks
    Degenerate
    That's funny, as I've used my Clarity card in around 6 European (West and East) countries without previously advising them, and all transactions have been authorised without issue.
    Originally posted by ahxcjb
    They say they want to be informed. That doesn't mean that any foreign transactions will be automatically declined, but your chances of having trouble are greater if you don't follow their recommendation.

Most companies use automated systems that look at usage patterns for potential fraud, so I suspect it goes like this: Automated system spots pattern of foreign transactions it decides looks suspicious. Alert pops up in fraud department. Person in fraud department see note on your account that you are holidaying in that country and cancels the alert. If there is no note your account gets blocked until they can contact you, or you call in.

I know Halifax definitely use such systems because I got a call yesterday regarding a foreign transaction I made over the internet with my Clarity card. I imagine the systems weigh up a lot of factors, so for example Chip and PIN authorized transactions are more likely to go through unhindered.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 03-05-2011 at 3:19 AM.
  • rb10
    Most companies use automated systems that look at usage patterns for potential fraud, so I suspect it goes like this: Automated system spots pattern of foreign transactions it decides looks suspicious. Alert pops up in fraud department. Person in fraud department see note on your account that you are holidaying in that country and cancels the alert. If there is no note your account gets blocked until they can contact you, or you call in.
    Originally posted by Degenerate
    I believe it's a little more automated with that at Halifax, but that's the general idea!
  • Venusflytrap
    If only like Barclaycard you could just enter your travel dates online...a call each time is a bit of a bother IMO!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

911Users online

Martin's Twitter