Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Petrol prices, fill up in Dover or Calais? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Petrol prices, fill up in Dover or Calais?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,992
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Nightowl
Old 29-03-2011, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Petrol prices, fill up in Dover or Calais?

Hi,

Wondered if anyone knew the price of fuel in France? I think they pay less duty, but then with the price of the Euro I didn't know where I'd be best filling up Dover or Calais? (mines a diesel but I epect the differneces are similar).

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightowl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
poe.tuesday
Old 29-03-2011, 9:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

we were in france in late feb and we were paying about €1.27 - which is about £1.11 - so it is cheaper but just watch how you pay for it as you don't want to pay on your card and then have to pay the exchange rate
The Following User Says Thank You to poe.tuesday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Bogtrotter
Old 29-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't know for sure about Pas-de-Calais but my friend in Poitou-Charentes region was paying €1.29 for a litre of diesel in the supermarket last week. I should imagine that the price should be similar in Calais Hypermarkets.

So if you are getting an exchange rate of around £1 = €1.10 you'll save 10%-15% by filling up in France.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bogtrotter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Nightowl
Old 29-03-2011, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Great news, thank you both for that info!
# 5
Backbiter
Old 29-03-2011, 9:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was in Paris two weeks ago and it was closer to 1.50 euros than 1.29. Admittedly Paris might be pricier than a Calais hypermarket.
# 6
withabix
Old 29-03-2011, 9:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

According to the AA Ireland website, unleaded is 4% cheaper in the UK than it is in France, however diesel is 9% cheaper in France.

Obviously exact difference varies with exchange rate, but in general, France has lower duty on diesel.
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000

Last edited by withabix; 29-03-2011 at 9:49 PM.
# 7
Tarry
Old 29-03-2011, 10:13 PM

I haven't been over since end of last year and we found it cheaper over in Calais area than the UK (although I am going over next month)

Totally offtopic - but your piggies are lovely (just looked at your website because I noticed that you obviously had cavies)
-I just love finding bargains and saving money
I love to travel as much as I can when I can
Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters

Last edited by Tarry; 29-03-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: to clear up last time I went off
The Following User Says Thank You to Tarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
mrs thrifty
Old 29-03-2011, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just a comment - when I took my car abroad you couldn't have it full to the brim with fuel - against the ferry rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs thrifty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
pompeyrich
Old 30-03-2011, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
Hi,

Wondered if anyone knew the price of fuel in France? I think they pay less duty, but then with the price of the Euro I didn't know where I'd be best filling up Dover or Calais? (mines a diesel but I epect the differneces are similar).

Thanks!
You can get the price of fuel at every petrol station in France from HERE. From the home page area 62 is the Calais region click Gazole for diesel and SP 95 for U/L. If you then click on the gazole bit above the price it will sort it from low-high or vv.

The cheapest diesel, in the Calais region, is listed at €1.31 and the dearest €1.49/L, U/L from €1.24-€1.66/L. There is a date when last updated. Clicking on carte, will show the garages on a map. Motorways are the more expensive, hypermarkets usually the cheapest.
The Following User Says Thank You to pompeyrich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Poly,put_the_kettle_on
Old 30-03-2011, 8:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I live a few miles inland from Dover- it's always more expensive there than the surrounding towns (with the exception of Deal!) Your best bet, depending on your direction in would be to fill up somewhere like Ashford, or preferably Canterbury (cheapest in the area) You'll then have plenty to get you away from the slightly inflated Calais prices.
DTD...Dreading The Detox.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poly,put_the_kettle_on For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cheesecakeface
Old 30-03-2011, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Oh my god. - That's a huge suprise.

While I was growing up my parents and I went camping to France all the time, they would always fill up with fuel before getting on ferry on the way home. I thought that the fuel cost about 1/2 the price over in france because they don't pay as much tax on it (I thought the tax was collected by toll booths instead).

I've just registered onto this forum specifically to ask about the logistics, legality and feasability of driving to france and on the way home from our campign trip, filling up the tank with fuel and also filling up a 20ltr (or maybe 1-2 5ltr) fuel can.

However - from a quick glance it seems that the fuel is the same sort of price, (possibly more after factoring in exchange rates) and ferries have limits on the amount of fuel you can bring over in a jerry can.

Also, someone above said that you can't 'fill your car to the brim' with fuel. - Are you refering to simply filling the tank to the brim? - surely they can't enforce such a silly rule as that?
# 12
bowlesbargain
Old 30-03-2011, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I went to France on Thursday last week for some wine. to my shock diesel was 1.31 euro, petrol was 1.50 euro. In the past i have always taken the tank empty this time i was no better off. hope that helps.
# 13
pompeyrich
Old 30-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecakeface View Post
Oh my god. - That's a huge suprise.

While I was growing up my parents and I went camping to France all the time, they would always fill up with fuel before getting on ferry on the way home. I thought that the fuel cost about 1/2 the price over in france because they don't pay as much tax on it (I thought the tax was collected by toll booths instead)..

I've just registered onto this forum specifically to ask about the logistics, legality and feasability of driving to france and on the way home from our campign trip, filling up the tank with fuel and also filling up a 20ltr (or maybe 1-2 5ltr) fuel can.

However - from a quick glance it seems that the fuel is the same sort of price, (possibly more after factoring in exchange rates) and ferries have limits on the amount of fuel you can bring over in a jerry can.

Also, someone above said that you can't 'fill your car to the brim' with fuel. - Are you refering to simply filling the tank to the brim? - surely they can't enforce such a silly rule as that?
Fuel prices have fluctuated due to the exchange rates at various times, i remember going camping with the boys, maybe 15 years ago and petrol was horrendously priced in France, 1.5 times the price here but had no choice but to fill up as had almost run out but it hurt at the time! then it swung in our favour, vastly for diesel and now it seems to be roughly the same.

Not really a "silly rule" as a safety consideration, if 600 cars all filled up to the brim near the port, then encountered a rough crossing, that could lead to an awful lot of fuel slopping around on the car deck, which could lead to a fire hazard and a very slippery surface. I have never seen tem check fuel tank levels but can see why they would rather you didn't top it right up.
The Following User Says Thank You to pompeyrich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
pompeyrich
Old 30-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesbargain View Post
I went to France on Thursday last week for some wine. to my shock diesel was 1.31 euro, petrol was 1.50 euro. In the past i have always taken the tank empty this time i was no better off. hope that helps.
As recently as 2007 you could get €1.50/£1 so diesel would have been around 90p and petrol £1 at those rates but with the £ being weak, or the Euro strong whichever it is, those sort of prices are not likely to return for some time, if ever.
# 15
sunshinetours
Old 31-03-2011, 11:42 AM

As someone said above diesel can be where the better saving can be had. I would say 10-15% is a decent saving on a tank of diesel?

Same rules apply as in UK get off the autoroute and out of major cities for best savings
# 16
Tarry
Old 31-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyrich View Post

Not really a "silly rule" as a safety consideration, if 600 cars all filled up to the brim near the port, then encountered a rough crossing, that could lead to an awful lot of fuel slopping around on the car deck, which could lead to a fire hazard and a very slippery surface. I have never seen tem check fuel tank levels but can see why they would rather you didn't top it right up.
Ah yes, that would make sense really. I've had some rough crossings and see your point (last one was a f9). I've got the what you can/can't leaflet around somewhere, but not sure why I put it
-I just love finding bargains and saving money
I love to travel as much as I can when I can
Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
The Following User Says Thank You to Tarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
cheesecakeface
Old 31-03-2011, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Thanks for all your help

Thanks for all your help - Just to clarify, when I mentioned that it was a silly rule what I meant was that it was silly to try and enforce it.

"Sorry - You can't come on the boat - Pour away 1/2 a tank of fuel into that container over there and we'll let you on"...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheesecakeface For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Kingsgraphic
Old 24-05-2012, 7:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cite Europe for petrol and diesel

As of May 2012 fuel prices at the Carrefour Cite Europe in Calais are around £1.30 a litre (1.569 Euro) for unleaded against £1.37 in Dover. It pays to use your credit card, even allowing for the 3% transaction fee, rather than pay cash, unless you have got an unusual deal on your currency!. As I write the Euro is 1.213 to the pound.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsgraphic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
scottishperson2
Old 24-05-2012, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

http://www.prix-carburants.economie.gouv.fr/

and diesel is 1.337 Euro in Calais compared to £1.41 in Dover.
# 20
Bob the Saver
Old 24-05-2012, 8:27 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsgraphic View Post
As of May 2012 fuel prices at the Carrefour Cite Europe in Calais are around £1.30 a litre (1.569 Euro) for unleaded against £1.37 in Dover. It pays to use your credit card, even allowing for the 3% transaction fee, rather than pay cash, unless you have got an unusual deal on your currency!. As I write the Euro is 1.213 to the pound.
Or (20.30 BST) a sliver under 1.25 to the £ if you have a Metro Bank card.
Closed Thread