IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Over 60 rail card
Closed Thread
Views: 5,444
# 1
nanamags
Old 25-03-2011, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Over 60 rail card

I am 60 in May and I can apply for my bus pass up to 3 months before my birthday and it will be delivered approx a week before.[ I live on Merseyside and 60 is still the eligible age. Very MSE as I normally pay 600.00 for a yearly bus pass.]

Does anyone know how soon I can apply for a rail card as there is no info on the website? I am planning on travelling by train the day before my birthday so will obviously be buying in advance to save money.

Thanks

Mags
NA N A M A G S
# 2
McKneff
Old 25-03-2011, 7:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You dont get your bus pass these days till you are eligible, and it will be around when you actually qualify for your state pension.

Rail cards, dont know whether you realise that these are not free, you have to buy them at a discounted price.
You wont be able to use them until after you qualify and I dont know if this is linked to your pension age either.

Check on the website for details.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
# 3
wealdroam
Old 25-03-2011, 8:31 PM

Senior Railcards are available from your 60th birthday.

Currently cost 26 for one year, or 65 for three years.

There are often offers of 10% or 25% discounts... bringing the one year card's price down to 23.40 or 19.50.

As suggested above, see the website.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wealdroam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
real1314
Old 25-03-2011, 8:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Senior railcards are excellent, they reduce late booking to much lower costs and early bookings can be very cheap
# 5
Savvy_Sue
Old 25-03-2011, 9:15 PM

Just worth pointing out that if you are eligible for a Disabled Persons Railcard, then that can work out better value, because any companion also gets a discount, whether disabled or not. Disability can include a hearing loss.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 6
dzug1
Old 27-03-2011, 7:10 PM

You can buy rail tickets online using a senior railcard without actually having the railcard - as long as you have one when you actually travel. The website doesn't ask for any 'proof'

So you could buy the tickets in advance online and buy the railcard at the station on the day of travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to dzug1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Savvy_Sue
Old 27-03-2011, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzug1 View Post
You can buy rail tickets online using a senior railcard without actually having the railcard - as long as you have one when you actually travel. The website doesn't ask for any 'proof'

So you could buy the tickets in advance online and buy the railcard at the station on the day of travel.
I'd leave plenty of time for that, and double check beforehand that you can do it at the station you are leaving from! and that your ID is up to date.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
uk1
Old 28-03-2011, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just a note to male readers of this topic ....

Some councils have a policy of not age-descriminating for men - so for example Test Valley Borough Council state:

Quote:
You may apply provided that you are a full-time, permanent resident within the Test Valley Borough Council area, and fall into one (or more) of the following categories:
  • You are a woman who has reached state pension age
  • You are a man who has reached the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day as you (see Eligibility date)
It's clearly worthwhile checking and not presuming that men will not get their passes until their normal retirement age.
The Following User Says Thank You to uk1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dzug1
Old 28-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
Just a note to male readers of this topic ....

Some councils have a policy of not age-descriminating for men - so for example Test Valley Borough Council state:

It's clearly worthwhile checking and not presuming that men will not get their passes until their normal retirement age.
Worth checking yes - but I (a male) have had a bus pass since I was 60 and I don't think the age limit has changed other than in line with the female pension age.

And I don't think it's council policy - it's national
# 10
alanq
Old 28-03-2011, 12:37 PM

This topic is about Railcards not the National Bus Pass.

The Senior Railcard is nothing to do with the local council. Its terms & conditions have not changed. It is available to anyone over 60 for a fee.

(It is a requirement for ALL English councils to offer a bus passes to men from the current WOMEN's retirement age which is increasing from month to month from 60 to 65. Nowhere do men currently have to wait until 65.)

Last edited by alanq; 28-03-2011 at 1:40 PM. Reason: Replaced "Over-60's Railcard" with "Senior Railcard"
The Following User Says Thank You to alanq For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Edinburghlass
Old 28-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Still 60 for a bus pass in Wales and Scotland.

Tesco sell Rail Passes for 26, presumably you key in a number to the relevant website.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 12
uk1
Old 28-03-2011, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzug1 View Post
Worth checking yes - but I (a male) have had a bus pass since I was 60 and I don't think the age limit has changed other than in line with the female pension age.

And I don't think it's council policy - it's national

Quite right. I was trying to be helpful but may have not been clear enough.

Some councils allow people to have a Senior Rail Card instead of a bus pass for free. My point - badly stated - was that some councils allow men to have it free - and from the female retirement age. Apolgies for not being clear and confusing the issue.
# 13
dggar
Old 29-03-2011, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Quite right. I was trying to be helpful but may have not been clear enough.

Some councils allow people to have a Senior Rail Card instead of a bus pass for free. My point - badly stated - was that some councils allow men to have it free - and from the female retirement age. Apolgies for not being clear and confusing the issue.
I Thought the Senior Rail Card was isued by Rail Companies for a cost of 23 per year (65 for 3 Yrs.)
and councils had to issue the bus pass for free. Are you saying that some councils will purchase a railcard and issue it to people who qualify for a bus pass.

Last edited by dggar; 29-03-2011 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Missed out a word
# 14
uk1
Old 30-03-2011, 7:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggar View Post
I Thought the Senior Rail Card was isued by Rail Companies for a cost of 23 per year (65 for 3 Yrs.)
and councils had to issue the bus pass for free. Are you saying that some councils will purchase a railcard and issue it to people who qualify for a bus pass.
I can only repeat what I said in the post before yours. Our council - this year allows people to choose the railcard instead of the bus pass. It issues a voucher to be exchanged at the station for an annual rail card which I believe is normally 26.00. I've heard that this will stop next year.
# 15
Oldernotwiser
Old 30-03-2011, 8:28 AM
PPR

I think people have missed the point that the OP is planning to use the card the day before her 60th birthday which isn't allowed. I think that she runs the risk of being made to pay the full fare if it's noticed that it doesn't become valid until the day after she travels.

I wouldn't recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Ken68
Old 30-03-2011, 10:41 AM

You can get a Senior Railcard from the local council..here it's about 4 cheaper.
# 17
alanq
Old 30-03-2011, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldernotwiser View Post
I think people have missed the point that the OP is planning to use the card the day before her 60th birthday which isn't allowed. I think that she runs the risk of being made to pay the full fare if it's noticed that it doesn't become valid until the day after she travels.
She would risk far worse than that if a deliberate attempt to evade paying the proper fare were discovered. Fortunately proof of age is required before a Senior Railcard is issued.
# 18
Oldernotwiser
Old 30-03-2011, 2:06 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanq View Post
She would risk far worse than that if a deliberate attempt to evade paying the proper fare were discovered. Fortunately proof of age is required before a Senior Railcard is issued.
I agree but the OP is asking about buying the railcard in advance and booking on line as a way of getting round the fact of using it before she's eligible for it.
# 19
alanq
Old 30-03-2011, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken68 View Post
You can get a Senior Railcard from the local council..here it's about 4 cheaper.
That should read "You can get a Senior Railcard from the local council here .. it's about 4 cheaper".

Not all councils offer Senior Railcards and some of those that do so currently will stop doing so from April. (The ones I know of don't actually issue a Railcard just a warrant towards the cost of a Railcard.)

Last edited by alanq; 30-03-2011 at 3:11 PM.
# 20
Farway
Old 30-03-2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:
It issues a voucher to be exchanged at the station for an annual rail card which I believe is normally 26.00. I've heard that this will stop next year.
I think you will find it stops 1st April, when Hampshire take over the bus pass scheme from the local authorities
Closed Thread