Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP
Closed Thread
Views: 24,513
# 1
Linds1234
Old 21-03-2011, 10:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP

Hello,

I have been trying to get out of my orange contract since November and they keep saying there is nothing they can do.
Basically since I moved house I havent been able to use my phone as the signal is appauling to the point it says SOS calls only!
I have had to go out and purchase another contract to receive better signal in my area.
I dont think its fair that I have to pay Orange 30 a month until August when the phone has been non usable since August 2010.

Any tips of advice would be a great help. Even if they were to lower my tarrif for me.

Thanks
# 2
sirbrainy
Old 21-03-2011, 10:47 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

That's the nature of contracts.
# 3
naypo
Old 21-03-2011, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You won't be able to get out of it as it's a contract but you can still buy a signal booster for your house - my dad had the same problem and bought a signal booster that somehow runs off the internet and now he has full signal all the time at home where there is none on any network; it is network specific though so not sure if you can get multiple network boosters!
Wins so far:
100 M&S Voucher, 10 Mama's & Papa's Voucher, 50 Mother Care Voucher, 50 Very Voucher, 65 dining out Voucher, 3 months of Purina Cat food, cinema tickets, silk scarf, Frusli bars,
# 4
poor-but-happy
Old 21-03-2011, 10:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Orange ended my contract 8 months early last week. I've barely had any signal for 5 months and been ringing them every week. They added Tmobile, made me try 2G, and replaced my SIM before finally admitting that they had reduced the number of transmitters in my area from 5 to 2 and it was unlikely I would get a good signal now.
My argument was that I would not have renewed my contract with an inadequate signal ( I also have a 5 year old son with epilepsy and need to be contactable) which is slightly different to your position. What I did make sure was that I remained pleasant and gave them every opportunity to resolve the problem.

Last edited by poor-but-happy; 21-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
# 5
mamto3
Old 21-03-2011, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I didnt get a signal at home either but went online and activated their parnership with T Mobile (i think its everyone everywhere) and now have a signal everywhere in my house. It costs no different than what you are paying now but just picks up the T Mobile signal when its stronger than the Orange one.
# 6
emerald_starcat
Old 21-03-2011, 11:02 AM

This is not a grabbit.
My daughters are my world
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to emerald_starcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
hanatan
Old 21-03-2011, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I cannot remember that well but one of my friend had the same problem. She wrote a letter to local MP for the help regarding the problem. And luckily they made an action for Orange and the manager at Orange contacted my friend and she could come off the contract.
Hope this idea might help.
# 8
NeverInDebt
Old 21-03-2011, 11:39 AM

It doesn't seem to matter any more

Hotukdeals for grabbits to hell with this part of the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_starcat View Post
This is not a grabbit.
# 9
crazyguy
Old 21-03-2011, 11:51 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds1234 View Post
Hello,

I have been trying to get out of my orange contract since November and they keep saying there is nothing they can do.
Basically since I moved house I havent been able to use my phone as the signal is appauling to the point it says SOS calls only!
I have had to go out and purchase another contract to receive better signal in my area.
I dont think its fair that I have to pay Orange 30 a month until August when the phone has been non usable since August 2010.

Any tips of advice would be a great help. Even if they were to lower my tarrif for me.

Thanks

Firstly cancel your direct debit and then flatly refuse to pay them until they either sort out this issue or cancel your contract, I did this with Vodafone as my signal went down the 3rd month in to a 18 month contract and they then canceled it in full.

Be persitant and keep asking for managers as they will normaly get fed up with you complaining and in the end will hopefully resolve it, take a note of anyone you speak with and the date and times.
# 10
shellsuit
Old 21-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_starcat View Post
This is not a grabbit.
It's a new user for God's sake, they probably don't understand how the boards work and what the rules are so no need to be so short and sharp.
Smoked my last stinking fag on the 4th July 2012 @ 3pm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shellsuit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
spartacus101
Old 21-03-2011, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsuit View Post
It's a new user for God's sake, they probably don't understand how the boards work and what the rules are so no need to be so short and sharp.
November 2010 doesn't count as a new user in my book. That's 5 months at least by my reckoning...
# 12
shellsuit
Old 21-03-2011, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus101 View Post
November 2010 doesn't count as a new user in my book. That's 5 months at least by my reckoning...
It's a new user to the boards.

That was their first post.

Might not be a new 'member' but it is a new user, so no need to be pedantic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shellsuit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
spartacus101
Old 21-03-2011, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsuit View Post
It's a new user to the boards.

That was their first post.

Might not be a new 'member' but it is a new user, so no need to be pedantic.
I'm not being pedantic.

I would expect any user who has been around for 5 months to know "what goes where".

The board is titled "Grabit". Why would the user pick that over any other to post a thread about this? How getting out of a contract is remotely linked to a title such as Grabit is beyond me.

Fact is, most people see the Grabit board as the most frequented, and choose to post there to ensure response regardless of relevance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spartacus101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
ks70
Old 21-03-2011, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We had this a couple of years ago and in the end after much fighting and getting nowhere we went to someone like phones4u or the like who 'bought' us out of the contract with Orange and signed us up to Vodaphone and got us out of it. We lost money, they made money but at least I wasn't paying cash to Orange for emergency calls only month in, month out, we happened to move house halfway through a contract and the signal strength just disappeared in the 20 mile journey! Hope this helps.
# 15
Tony5101
Old 21-03-2011, 1:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy View Post
Firstly cancel your direct debit and then flatly refuse to pay them until they either sort out this issue or cancel your contract
Worst piece of advice I've ever heard!

Under no circumstances should you cancel your DD. You'll end up with a knackered credit rating and Orange won't hesitate to refer your 'debt' to a collection agency if you end up defaulting.

I would recommend that you re-post on the mobile phone board. You'll get more specific information/help there. I've added a link to the mobiles board.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=14

Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony5101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
RainbowDrops
Old 21-03-2011, 1:33 PM

Quote:
I would expect any user who has been around for 5 months to know "what goes where".
Just because they registered in Nov doesn't mean they've been on here full time for 5 months, as evidenced by their post count.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RainbowDrops For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
invisibleyousee
Old 21-03-2011, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Orange used to allow you to lower the monthly cost. I used to work for a mobile company and would recommend keeping a log of when you try to use use phone but can't get a signal - it's evidence there's no signal then. Present them with evidence. The customer advisors do want to help, but remember that they are just doing there jobs. Good luck. Ps, could the mods perhaps move this thread to where it'd get a better response.
Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world!

Started Slimming World 16.04.2012
"Club 10 Target Loss: 1st 2.5lbs"
23/04/12 (1st WI): -2.5lbs 07/05/12: -4lbs 14/05/12 -1lbs 21/05/12 STS
# 18
crazyguy
Old 21-03-2011, 2:01 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony5101 View Post
Worst piece of advice I've ever heard!

Under no circumstances should you cancel your DD. You'll end up with a knackered credit rating and Orange won't hesitate to refer your 'debt' to a collection agency if you end up defaulting.

I would recommend that you re-post on the mobile phone board. You'll get more specific information/help there. I've added a link to the mobiles board.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=14

Tony
They will take notice upon canceling your direct debit as they will know that you are not paying for something that you are not getting.

Explain how that is rubbish advice then ?
# 19
shellsuit
Old 21-03-2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not being pedantic.

The board is titled "Grabit". Why would the user pick that over any other to post a thread about this? How getting out of a contract is remotely linked to a title such as Grabit is beyond me.

Fact is, most people see the Grabit board as the most frequented, and choose to post there to ensure response regardless of relevance.
Do you have a crystal ball there or do you know the OP personally? Who says they have been around for 5 months? They might have registered 5 months ago and not come back till now.

And it's 'Grabbit', not 'Grabit'.
# 20
lurkylurky
Old 21-03-2011, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm not saying I agree with this, but I don't think there's much hope that Orange will cancel the contract - they will say it's not their fault you moved house. It's different if you get a reduction in service part way through your contract.

You might be able to lower your tariff though.

Last edited by lurkylurky; 21-03-2011 at 3:21 PM.
Closed Thread