Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Mr Thrifty
    Tax on second (freelance) job in addition to main (PAYE salaried) employment
    • 20th Mar 11, 3:25 PM
    Tax on second (freelance) job in addition to main (PAYE salaried) employment 20th Mar 11 at 3:25 PM
    Hi guys, I have a full-time proper job paying around 50K per year. In addition to this, an opportunity has arisen for me to earn a little bit extra as a freelancer. We're talking small amounts here - absolute most it would be during a full year is about 2,500 extra.

Anyhow, I want to make sure I do things right with the tax man. Can anyone advise what I need to do? Do I have to register as self-employed and/or make any payments on account (I have read that self employed people make 2 payments on account throughout the year)? Do I need to do a tax return, and if so, how do I go about doing this? Do I need to start paying Class 2 NI contributions in addition to what I pay via my main employer?

Any advice would be really welcomed please. I plan to call HMRC tomorrow to find out more. I would contact an accountant for advice, but it doesn't seem worth it seeing as we're talking about such small sums of money on the second income. But I do want to make sure I do everything properly.

Thanks again.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,298Posts Today

7,346Users online

Martin's Twitter