Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Housing benefits change with boyfriend moving in (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Housing benefits change with boyfriend moving in
Closed Thread
Views: 3,974
# 1
Ally E.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Housing benefits change with boyfriend moving in

Hi, my boyfriend is moving in with me in my shared accommodation. I am on housing benefits now and would like to know how this situation will be affecting my benefits. He's moving in, but won't be paying rent, as can't afford atm. He's working 12.5 hours a month and gets paid 800 post tax. I work less than 15 hours as well and get paid around 250. I want to notify the council of the change in circumstances, but the only change is that he's name will be officially on council tax bill, i won't be getting financial support from him, if anything I will be paying the rent on my own. Any advice what to expect from the benefits office?

Last edited by Ally E.; 18-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
# 2
nannytone
Old 18-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

why is he paying his brother if hes not living there?
so he lives with you and pays his brother while the tax payer pays for both of you?

that is benefit fraud!
The Following User Says Thank You to nannytone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
RedwoodBrook
Old 18-03-2011, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Your bf's income will be taken into account and you will loose your HB and CTB.

I would suggest your brother stops paying rent to his brother for a property he is not living in.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedwoodBrook For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Ally E.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

we pay tax too. more than i get in benefits. so the way the council sees it if live together then def share the rent even if we don't in real life, isn't it?

Last edited by Ally E.; 18-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
# 5
zagfles
Old 18-03-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally E. View Post
Hi, my boyfriend is moving in with me in my shared accommodation. I am on housing benefits now and would like to know how this situation will be affecting my benefits. He's moving in, but won't be paying rent, as can't afford atm, he's paying rent to his older brother at his old place until August 2011. He's working 12.5 hours a month and gets paid 800 post tax. I work less than 15 hours as well and get paid around 250. I want to notify the council of the change in circumstances, but the only change is that he's name will be officially on council tax bill, i won't be getting financial support from him, if anything I will be paying the rent on my own. Any advice what to expect from the benefits office?
When he moves in you'll be assessed for all means tested benefits (like HB, council tax benefit) as a couple, which will probably mean a big drop. You'll need to declare his income and savings as well as your own.

Have a look at the calculator on the turn2us site.
The Following User Says Thank You to zagfles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
zagfles
Old 18-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
we pay tax too. more than i get in benefits. he's paying because he has a contract there and doesn't want to terminate, as brother is in need of the money. so the way the council sees it if live together then def share the rent, isn't it?
It's not so much "sharing the rent", as that you are an item for the purposes of benefits.

If your friend, or sister, moved in with you then you'd get a "non-dependants deduction" in housing benefit which basically means they'd expect your friend to contribute towards the rent. But only their share.

But as it's your "boyfriend" you are classed as "living together as man and wife" which means everything is assessed jointly.

Maybe best wait till your bf's rent contract is up at the old place?
The Following User Says Thank You to zagfles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Ally E.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagfles View Post
When he moves in you'll be assessed for all means tested benefits (like HB, council tax benefit) as a couple, which will probably mean a big drop. You'll need to declare his income and savings as well as your own.

Have a look at the calculator on the turn2us site.
i tried turn2us and it just showed council tax benefit, not the housing one. does it mean after all the info i put in i'm no longer entitled?
# 8
Ally E.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
It's not so much "sharing the rent", as that you are an item for the purposes of benefits.

If your friend, or sister, moved in with you then you'd get a "non-dependants deduction" in housing benefit which basically means they'd expect your friend to contribute towards the rent. But only their share.

But as it's your "boyfriend" you are classed as "living together as man and wife" which means everything is assessed jointly.

thanks for explaining.
# 9
zagfles
Old 18-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
i tried turn2us and it just showed council tax benefit, not the housing one. does it mean after all the info i put in i'm no longer entitled?
It's unusual (if renting) to be entitled to council tax benefit but not housing benefit. You can usually get HB at higher incomes than CTB. What's your rent and council tax?
# 10
Ally E.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

Quote:
It's unusual (if renting) to be entitled to council tax benefit but not housing benefit. You can usually get HB at higher incomes than CTB. What's your rent and council tax?
rent is 450 a month, CT 120, but reduced to 29 with my Council tax benefits.
# 11
zagfles
Old 18-03-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
rent is 450 a month, CT 120, but reduced to 29 with my Council tax benefits.
Don't get it then. Maybe the rent is too high to get HB on all of it - but even then would have thought you'd get some if you get CTB.
# 12
Ally E.
Old 19-03-2011, 12:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Don't get it then. Maybe the rent is too high to get HB on all of it - but even then would have thought you'd get some if you get CTB.
will call the council then, just wanted to post here since it's the weekend and people here might know something i'm missing. thanks for the advice!
# 13
melbi_uk
Old 19-03-2011, 9:30 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

My daughter's rent is 450 too. She works 16 hours a week. She doesn't get all her rent paid, just some of it.
# 14
KimYeovil
Old 19-03-2011, 10:11 AM

If his net pay is 64 per hour surely he can find a bit more work and avoid the issue of benefits altogether? I know 'the economy' et al but it shouldn't really be affecting someone with that valuable a skill-set.

And what do you mean 'at the moment' he can not afford to pay you rentcontribute to the joint rent? A take home salary of 125K and worried about benefits.

Last edited by KimYeovil; 19-03-2011 at 10:17 AM.
# 15
spaceman5
Old 19-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to spaceman5

Quote:
Hi, my boyfriend is moving in with me in my shared accommodation. I am on housing benefits now and would like to know how this situation will be affecting my benefits. He's moving in, but won't be paying rent, as can't afford atm. He's working 12.5 hours a month and gets paid 800 post tax. I work less than 15 hours as well and get paid around 250. I want to notify the council of the change in circumstances, but the only change is that he's name will be officially on council tax bill, i won't be getting financial support from him, if anything I will be paying the rent on my own. Any advice what to expect from the benefits office?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
If his net pay is 64 per hour surely he can find a bit more work and avoid the issue of benefits altogether? I know 'the economy' et al but it shouldn't really be affecting someone with that valuable a skill-set.

And what do you mean 'at the moment' he can not afford to pay you rentcontribute to the joint rent? A take home salary of 125K and worried about benefits.
was gonna say i wish i could get a job that pays 64 an hour, what does he do
Take every day as it comes!!
Closed Thread