IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Price of a bag of coal?
Views: 117,672
# 21
welshsue
Old 19-12-2008, 8:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I recently had coal delivered. 5 bags of tipped coal, 2 large bags of kindling (2.50 per bag) and was charged 76.00. Last year the same amount cost me 60.00.
I have gas central heating but because its Calor Gas is very expensive so try to keep the fire in when its cold so we don't need so much heating. With the price increases in coal,not sure if its better or not now.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
Chef1980uk
Old 30-08-2009, 8:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry to update an old thread but its first in a google search so thought best to stick with it.

Having moved back in May, we haven't had to use the coal fire as regularly as we may now do. We've had a leaflet through the door of the local coal man who charged 12.50 per 50kg up until the end of August. Not knowing the new price for winter, what is it likely to be? and can coal be found and ordered cheaper online?

the coal is needed for our central heating as its a back boiler one connected to all the radiators.
# 23
JMartin
Old 31-08-2009, 10:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We currently pay 210 for a tonne of household doubles in South Lanarkshire - that's 10.50 for 50kgs. We've had no indication that this will rise, although with fuel going up again I can see it coming.

Beware of cheap coal as it's often full of dross which is a false economy since you'll spend all winter freezing cold and angry that you spent a couple of hundred pounds on dross.

If you have the storage it's often a bit cheaper to buy by the tonne.

Also, if you can afford it you will do well to install a multifuel stove with back boiler. We have done this this year and the savings are very noticable. Yesterday for example we put a bucket of coal on in the morning and it was still burning when we went to bed. Compare that to what you get with your open fire and you'll see that it's well worth the investment. Last year with the open coal fire (with back boiler) we used 14 bags a fortnight in the depths of winter - I would day there were about 3 of our buckets in a bag.

In a fairly large house we have a stove that is reputed to heat 16 radiators (we have 6) and it does the heating and water with ease. It cost 3,000 for the stove and installation including having the chimney lined.
# 24
JMartin
Old 31-08-2009, 10:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've remembered (typical you click on post an then remember) our stove is a Charnwood Country 16b.
# 25
galba
Old 31-08-2009, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

In September 2006 we were paying per 50kg. bag - 6.38 for housecoal and 6.95 for anthracite peas. Current price is 9.71 for coal and 11.55 for anthracite.

Heating and hot water cost for September 08 to August 09 was 1069.00 which is probably about the same as it would be for gas if we had it. The house is in a very exposed position 1200 feet up in the pennines.
# 26
LeeUK
Old 31-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I dread to think what the price of smokeless fuel has gone up to this winter here. Not had any from the coal man since about March time.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 27
icequeen1969
Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i know this is an old thread but very interesting all the same. in the 8 years weve been at our coal fired home anthracite has gone up from 6 per bag to 16.20 this year per 50kg bag(delivered)...rip off! in the past year alone its gone up from 13 a bag...more than inflation me thinks. Now im all for supporting and buying off local businesses however im thinking of looking elsewhere and bulk buying, shame but we use 1-3 bags dependent on weather per week which adds up to a hefty fuel bill annually.

any ideas of where to bulk buy from a company who delivers in north lincs s!!!!horpe area gratefully recieved as i fear this winter may cripple us or freeze us!
thanks in advance xxxx
# 28
confuseddad
Old 03-09-2009, 2:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just bought two bags of coke. Smokless zone area and paid 12.00 per 50kg bag. Tyneside area. Good or bad??
# 29
LeeUK
Old 03-09-2009, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuseddad View Post
Just bought two bags of coke. Smokless zone area and paid 12.00 per 50kg bag. Tyneside area. Good or bad??
I paid 13.00 per 50KG bag last march. Not bought any since as don't use it over the summer.

My coal man has likely to of put it up again as it goes up at least twice a year!
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 30
A. Badger
Old 05-09-2009, 1:11 PM

Coal from my local merchant (East Kent) is still on a summer price schedule until 30th September. No doubt there will be a price rise in addition after that date!

If you have a local coal merchant it's worth checking if they are stull selling at summer rates.

For the record, we are being charged 15.15 for one 50 kg bag of 'Group C' coal, with small discounts if you order multiple bags.
# 31
dekh
Old 05-09-2009, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuseddad View Post
Please PM me where from. That's 3 - 4 quid cheaper than I can get Supertherm from CPL (Coals4u now I think).

CPL are currently still on their "summer" prices. Which is to say exactly the same as last winters prices and in a call to them on Friday it is likely to go up before the end of the month

I need somewhere cheaper delivering to North Tyneside.
# 32
icequeen1969
Old 06-09-2009, 9:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The problem is there's so many types of coal. We have found coke costs less per bag than what we use but it's not as efficient, anthracite and the big oval shaped coals (don't know what they're called) mixed together one burns very slowly whilst the other gives out good heat,, We have experimented over the years with all different types and found this the best economically for use on our fire which is a parkray stove (closed fire). Its very expensive though compared to what relatives pay for Gas and even Electric heating

Be very wary about burning wood or logs because my friend used to do this all the time and one day his chimney set alight because apparantly the wood causes tar deposits in the chimney which becomes very flammable with build up the fire brigade warned him.
# 33
JMartin
Old 07-09-2009, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The best mix for us at the moment is anthracite and wood - anthracite doesn't light on it's own (even with a full box of firelighters) but once it's going it gives really good heat and burns for around 5 hours without top up (this is on a Charnwood multifuel stove with the air half open). A tiny amount keeps the fire lit all night when dampened.

CPL are a complete rip off. It's worth the effort to find a local independant coal merchant. Ask around your neighbours or get on the phone and try a few of the cheapest out.
# 34
icequeen1969
Old 08-09-2009, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi jamartin,
How often are you lighting your fire? mine stays in for months.
every few month i allow it to go out to give it a good clean out though.
To light it I usually screw newspaper tightly on the bottom, a layer of wood sticks, and a layer of the large rugby ball shaped coals it lights every time as this coal lights really easily. I then keep it topped up only twice a day once a.m once bedtime,,keep it on setting 0 with no vent ever open and I get bouncing hot radiators and piping hot water.
I think our fire is similar to yours.
I know some types of coal is more expensive however it works out more economical as we use less of this than we would Coke, and Coke not very good performer on our fire at all.

On a different note,,we are now paying the price for years of cheap coal imports and our pits closing down and the whole economy is the same,..Great Britain has done herself no favours by allowing this to happen, same with everything else, consumers want cheaper things, imports and our country starts failing, factories closing, people lose their jobs, homes and now recession. Very sad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icequeen1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Chef1980uk
Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Icequeen, that fire setting sounds like our fire although i have no idea on what settings it should be set too lol so thanks for that, shall follow that setting as a guide and see how it goes
# 36
icequeen1969
Old 09-09-2009, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

No problem,,anothet tip we only rattle the fire once a day also and remove ashes,,if the ash tray gets too full it can restrict the air circulating underneath so needs to be emptied regular too.
# 37
JMartin
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Icequeen,

We let it go out every morning only because the house isn't cold in the morning...yet. We only got the stove in May so this will most likely change when the bad weather comes.

What is the name of that fuel you use? Sounds infinately better than doubles or anthracite. To be honest we thought anthracite was the rugby ball shaped coal.

The setting at the side which it says is for radiator heat is always at 0 and the air flow lever at the top is half open - the one that keeps the doors clean. My husband is very particular about keeping the glass clean!!!!

We're very happy with our stove as it's a vast improvement on the open fire. The savings on our electricity bills are massive from not having to have the emmersion heater on to get hot water for a bath Knowing how to make the most of it is good though and we can only gain this knowledge from people like you who have experience...so thanks
# 38
icequeen1969
Old 10-09-2009, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi again JMartin,
Anthracite coal is the shiny coloured irregular shaped coal, we mix this 50-50 with homefire ovals. We have tried probably all types and this is the best ever for heat, performance and economy.

Google Image Result for http--www.johndruryandson.co.uk-sitebuildercontent-sitebuilderpictures-coal16.jpg

OUr fire is exactly the same as this; Parkray Fire Range Solid and Multifuel central heating appliances and inset fire collection. The Cumbria

Wow,,you are lighting it every morning! Try putting a little coal on it at bedtime to keep it ticking over during the night and then first thing in the morning too. In our experience this is more economical,,saving on firelighters/wood for lighting daily plus we found that when our fire is first lit it burns coal faster,,so in doing this daily wont be as economical in the long run. We've had our fire for several years since moving into our presesnt home,,they sure take some getting used to however after a year of either sweating or freezing during winter and lots of experiments. Also the constant clearing the fire out to re-light daily makes such a lot of dust/mess/hardwork. Another thing we found when lighting the fire have the doors open a tiny bit (a centimetre maximum) as this will draw the smoke straight up the chimney instead of getting the glass all sooty everytime,,and once the fire is going just close them our coalman told us this!. I like my glass clean too,,but remember to make sure the doors are cold when doing so,,or it may crack and as my friend discovered it was very expensive and inconvenient to replace.

Hope I've helped,,I really do know how difficult they are getting used to but brilliant once this is achihieved
# 39
icequeen1969
Old 10-09-2009, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh the URLs havn't shown up
# 40
blingblings
Old 17-11-2009, 11:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We moved into a house with open fires this year, so this is our first winter with the fires.

I've been looking around and have only managed to find coal for 19 per 50kg bag. Having read this thread, this seems quite expensive. I've tried Coals2U, which someone else on here recommended, but they're like 11.98 per 25kg.

I'm in West Sussex - recommendations anyone?