Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 26th Nov 06, 5:02 PM
    • 5,022 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 26th Nov 06, 5:02 PM
    • 26th Nov 06, 5:02 PM
    £9.20 per 50KG bag in my area is the cheapest. Up 20p since the start of the autumn.
  • Phil3822
    • 29th Nov 06, 4:02 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 4:02 PM
    £8.00 per bag delivered. Lincolnshire.
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 30th Nov 06, 2:09 AM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 30th Nov 06, 2:09 AM
    • 30th Nov 06, 2:09 AM
    Interesting to see the price of it. I moving to a house that has a none smoking area or whatever its called. Is teh smoke free coal more by chance?

• Hornet
    • 1st Dec 06, 1:08 PM
    • 1st Dec 06, 1:08 PM
    Focus DIY have 3 for 2 on coal at the moment on 10Kg bags

normal is 2.99 each
    smokeless 4.49 each
    if i had known then what i know now
    • Alfietinker
    • By Alfietinker 4th Dec 06, 12:49 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Alfietinker
    • 4th Dec 06, 12:49 PM
    • 4th Dec 06, 12:49 PM
    We haven't bought any since last winter (free fire wood ) but we used to pay £15 for 3 25kg bags of standard house coal (collected).
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07
  • paul_h
    • 10th Dec 06, 10:03 AM
    • 10th Dec 06, 10:03 AM
    Last load of house coal we had delivered earlier this year was £110 per tonne, works out at £5.50 per 50Kg bag.

Our coal man comes from Sheffield to deliver ours, local prices are £6-7 per bag.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Dec 06, 1:23 PM
    • 5,022 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 10th Dec 06, 1:23 PM
    • 10th Dec 06, 1:23 PM
    Mine has gone up to £10 per 50KG sack of smokeless coke this week! :-(
  • Snow Dog
    • 22nd Dec 06, 2:34 PM
    • 22nd Dec 06, 2:34 PM
    £5 for grade and its good stuff, most places round here are charging £6+ and some of the stuff isnt worth trying to burn, nutty slag my arze.
  • Johnny68
    Just ordered some coal this morning. £8.25 for 50kg (hundredweight) bag of small lump coal or £10 for medium lumps which is supposedly excellent quality and premium for I think £12 which is even bigger lumps.
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 10th Sep 07, 5:41 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I found burning wood was better well actually logs. Much cleaner and gives out far more heat than coal on our open fire. We now have a log burner in another chimney so we are using that as its not only clean, but far more efficient that a open fire.

• owned by 2 Siamese
    Ordered today..
    I've just ordered 10x 25KG bags smokeless - delivered at £5.85 a bag (Rural Northumberland) - only use it in the multifuel to keep in overnight otherwise burn logs - they're £80 for a ton (or tonne?) delivered (seasoned and chopped!) I agree that wood is warmer (and smells nicer when you walk in the house) - but it wont keep in overnight (only when it gets VERY cold!)
    Interestingly the coal was ordered off the internet from a Chesterfield Company - the coal man ;ocally is long gone
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 11th Sep 07, 10:03 PM
    • 5,022 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I've just ordered 10x 25KG bags smokeless - delivered at £5.85 a bag (Rural Northumberland) - only use it in the multifuel to keep in overnight otherwise burn logs - they're £80 for a ton (or tonne?) delivered (seasoned and chopped!) I agree that wood is warmer (and smells nicer when you walk in the house) - but it wont keep in overnight (only when it gets VERY cold!)
    Interestingly the coal was ordered off the internet from a Chesterfield Company - the coal man ;ocally is long gone
    Originally posted by owned by 2 Siamese
    Hi, I live in Northumberland too and I'm looking for prices of smokeless coke for my winter supplies. What was the address of the company you brought from online? Thanks
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
  • owned by 2 Siamese
    Coal Northumberland
    Apologies so long to answer your question - it was of fthe internet - www. cpldisribution.co.uk - although its nationwide the depot it came from was in Morpeth
    • thedean
    • By thedean 22nd Oct 07, 10:07 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    thedean
    £10 50KG bag anthracite delivered near Thirsk
  • 2183irene
    a bag of coal
    I pay £14.50 for a 50k bag of anthracite , think i might be getting ripped off?
  • owned by 2 Siamese
    Hi - just phoned and £17.20 for 50Kg - so your price is good (SUSPECT WE ARE ALL BEING RIPPED OFF!)
  • Young Aged Pensioner
    my coal costs £11.30 per bag for doubles whatever that means
  • paul_h
    This is an old thread, and the prices from last year are way out now... I've had a tonne (20 x 50Kg bags) of best washed doubles delivered this morning for £190, up from £130 this time last year.

Wholesale coal prices went through the roof earlier in the year.
  • JMartin
    That's cheap. Ours has been £9.10 a bag for 50kg. We use 10 bags a fortnight on our open coal fire with back boiler.

We've been informed this morning that the business has been sold and it will now be £11 a bag for 50kg and dross (which we used to get for free) will be £8 a bag. Trying to find something cheaper...even if we have to buy a few tonnes at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,700Posts Today

7,172Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Leicester win the DOUBLE... the Premier League and the World Snooker Championship. Everyone's a fox tonight!

• You do wonder if anyone has told Mark Selby yet... (the jester from leicester)

• RT @MCFC: Congratulations to @LCFC on winning the Barclays @premierleague title. Well deserved. #mcfc

• Follow Martin