Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Mar 11, 9:23 PM
    • 9,947 Posts
    • 7,155 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 11th Mar 11, 9:23 PM
    • 11th Mar 11, 9:23 PM
    This is common when a debt is approaching that statute of limitations (6 years in england and 5 in scotland). They sell the debt to DCA's for a fraction of the debt owed and the DCA's then basically go "fishing".
    Some of their common practices include writing to people with the same name in the hopes of finding the right one.

I wouldnt advise to ignore the letter though. I would reply saying that you have no knowledge of the debt as you have never had a contract from O2 and ask them to prove the debt belongs to you.

You may also want to check out: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
    I believe they have some letter templates on there if you are contacted from a Debt Collection Agency regarding a debt that doesnt belong to you.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • fermi
    • By fermi 11th Mar 11, 9:37 PM
    • 39,033 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    fermi
    • 11th Mar 11, 9:37 PM
    • 11th Mar 11, 9:37 PM
    Generic "prove it" or "bog off" letter here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11570893&postcount=2
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 12th Mar 11, 10:19 AM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 12th Mar 11, 10:19 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 10:19 AM
    Also, OP, I think it's commonly advised to never deal with a DCA by phone - always in writing so you have a paper trail.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
  • Oliver14
    • 12th Mar 11, 10:31 AM
    • 12th Mar 11, 10:31 AM
    Personally I would ignore them. They're just fishing DCA don't have any legal powers.
  • busyladee
    • 13th Mar 11, 5:56 PM
    • 13th Mar 11, 5:56 PM
    Thanks everyone for you replies. I've just typed up a polite 'prove it of !!!!!! off' letter and see what they come back with. Fingers crossed it'll be the last I hear from them!
    • mo786uk
    • By mo786uk 13th Mar 11, 6:02 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    mo786uk
    • 13th Mar 11, 6:02 PM
    • 13th Mar 11, 6:02 PM
    Personally I would ignore them. They're just fishing DCA don't have any legal powers.
    Originally posted by Oliver14
    yes but if you ignore them they might start phoning you up and phoning your neighbours up and generally being a PITA

----------

At the end of the day they cannot take you to court and win if they cannot show its your debt so you have nothing to lose to write/email them telling them clearly why its not yur debt.
  • clarky03
    • 24th Jun 11, 5:39 PM
    tocatto ltd
    • 24th Jun 11, 5:39 PM
    HI anyone know the number for Tocatto debt agency as i have lost my letter..

thanks
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 25th Jun 11, 9:19 AM
    • 10,130 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 25th Jun 11, 9:19 AM
    • 25th Jun 11, 9:19 AM
    From a Google search, Tocatto used to be called Lowells - try this number 0113 308 6093.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,367Posts Today

7,251Users online

Martin's Twitter