IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Unclaimed prize register
Views: 133,457
# 1
sda
Old 21-11-2006, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Unclaimed prize register

Is this a scam?Anybody got this letter ?It asks me to call a premium number to claim my prize with a code.I dont enter that many comps also.Pls help.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ceedy
Old 21-11-2006, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

99%,,, nah 100% confident its a con to get you a hefty phone charge and if your are very very very very very lucky a crap prize.. nah.. no chance of anything .. take care
C.
The Following User Says Thank You to ceedy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
AnnieH
Old 22-11-2006, 4:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I got the same letter this morning. I just binned it
5lbs lost
1st 9lbs to go
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
sda
Old 22-11-2006, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH
I got the same letter this morning. I just binned it
I was also about to bin it but there is an option to send an entry form by post with a SAE.Thought maybe I could see what happens?:confused: I never win anything so if there is a tiny weeny chance that it might be something even small?
I also got another one from Prizewinners club along with some junk mail in a statement.I binned it as calling was the only option.

Will keep posted what happens.Good luck all.
The Following User Says Thank You to sda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
bambidex
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool My experience so far

I also sent an s.a.e. and got my reply today. My prize is a digital camera, for which I am expected to pay £6.50 to cover postage and insurance. Needless to say there is no description of the camera but I don't expect it to be anything decent. Whether it's worth risking £6.50 I don't know.

Watch this space.

bambidex

Last edited by bambidex; 07-12-2006 at 11:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bambidex For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Jarvissa
Old 08-12-2006, 1:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Bambidex, there are some super cheap rubbish 'digital cameras' out there!

I subscribed to 'Which' a while back and got the 'gift' of a free Digital Camera. I've seen phones from 5 years ago which take better pictures. It's made of the horriblest junkiest plastic too!

Probably cost about £1.00 to produce (definitely not worth £6.50!)

I'm thinking they'll send you something similar!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jarvissa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
CBo
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

YEp 650k wonder cam (that's HALF A MEGA PIXEL!).. some sites were offering them as free digital camera with order (probably the price they paid for them) and bet they've had a run in a pound shop. They have no flash, no lcd dispaly and pictures look like you took them at the other end of a tunnel and zoomed in with cloudy binoculars. Played with one that got given as present many yrs back probably recieved after buying something from a shop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CBo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bambidex
Old 08-12-2006, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink

Many thanks for your comments. I suspected as much myself. They can keep their camera and I'll keep my £6.50. I don't need another digital camera anyway; I've already got a couple of good 'uns.

It'll be interesting to see if "sda" is also offered a digital camera, along with everyone else who bothers responding.

It's an easy way to extract money from the gullible, especially if one isn't bothered about sleeping at night.

Cheers,

bambidex

Last edited by bambidex; 08-12-2006 at 6:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bambidex For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
mol82
Old 27-07-2007, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hello

i got a later from the same company today, telling me that i have won one of their prices. they also asked me to call a premium number to find out what the prize is? what a load of crap!!!!! Thank God i checked this site before responding to this nonsense. how can pple get away with crap like this!!!! its probably some unemployed person living on benefits who cant be bothered their back side to get a job. excuse me for being so judgemental but i think you ll agree with me that with this extremely over worked world when can one ever find time to come up with stupid scams like that? may God judge them accordingly for messing with other pple souls. Its dead wrong!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mol82 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Rog
Old 21-10-2007, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default A Letter to The 'Unclaimed Prize Register' Scam Company

Dear Busted,

Thank you for your kind offer but Iím sure that after spending a minimum of £9 on the phone call and had the pleasure of hearing you describe all the possible prizes at great length while spending £1.50 per minute for the privilege, I will receive the not-unexpected news that Iíve won the digital camera.

Even if, having read the small print and discovering that at least you are bound by one regulation which requires you to offer the option of obtaining the claim code by post, I do so, I will then still have to fork out another £6.50 for the joy of being the recipient of a device which other companies are giving away as a freebie simply because it isnít worth paying money for. I expect the average mobile phone camera will do a better job.

The address below, to which you sent your enticing offer is no longer valid.

Iíve moved so you can delete that address and my name from your database.

OhÖ no, sorry, you canít have my new address. Phew, thatís one less amoral scam merchant I wonít have to deal with again!

A pleasure not doing business with you.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Rog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
thatgirlsam
Old 21-10-2007, 6:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

if you can be bothered rip the letter into tiny bits and send it back to them, this is what i do to any loan/junk mail i receive (even better when they provide you with an envelope) if everyone did this surely the scam/junk mail companys would get sick of opening letters full of tiny bits of paper??
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thatgirlsam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Rog
Old 21-10-2007, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You could just tear up the letter and send it back - maybe with no stamp.
I'll often write and make it blatantly obvious that they're wasting their time with me - if they have any business sense they then won't waste money (and my time) sending future mailshots to my address.

Could argue that neither the above are effective in which case why waste any of your valuable time - just bin/shred the letter.

Anyway there's a very informative thread on this at theanswerbank.co.uk.
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Busin...ion213014.html

It includes a link to a piece the Guardian did on the scam
http://money.guardian.co.uk/scamsand...174222,00.html
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
kevinin
Old 28-11-2007, 8:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Another day another version of the scam

Hi
I have just got another letter from a company that operates from a different address, with a different name, but with the same style of red 'stamp' title in the top right hand corner with another variant on the premium line phone scam.
It is from a company called Call 4 cash operating out of Ilford, Essex and you have to ring a £1.50 a minute phone number to win a Mini Cooper, a Samsung 50" Plasma TV, a Playstation 3 or 100+ MP3 players.... mm I wonder which one I would get if I was stupid enough to ring?....Oh and all electrical awards are sent insured delivery which costs another £6.95.

How does the law allow these rip off merchants to function?

Last edited by kevinin; 29-11-2007 at 7:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevinin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
anon123
Old 13-01-2008, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy

I have apparently won a Swiss& Austrian Tour for 2 - all the digital cameras were already allocated to other applicants.
It says I'll have to pay £75 refundable booking fee, it sounds too dodgy though so I won't be posting anything else off.
# 15
Sparkler4
Old 31-03-2008, 12:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Received the same

I've just recieved this letter. Read about the scam on the gaurdian's site where they posted what the codes had won people. Would it not be a good idea for us all to post the codes we've recieved??!?
I haven't called or posted but my code was 509641 - letter dated 6th March 08

I've never entered these things as I know they're a def scam, the letters are as bad as the scratch cards you get in mags. All this talk of recycling and cutting down on carbon footprints... think somehow they're targeting the wrong people!!!!
# 16
gr northeast
Old 16-04-2008, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Unclaimed Prize Register Scam - Yes!

I often get these letters through the door but NEVER use the phone line. By law they have to give you the option to use a postal address (which I do) to get the claim number. The last time I did this I won (as expected) the crappiest prize which was the MP3 player but they wanted £9.95 post & packing. I could buy one for that! The other rubbish prize which you're likely to end up with is a holiday. They will give you a weekend abroad in an apartment somewhere but you have to get yourself there. In other words, it's going to end up costing you.
# 17
asparagus
Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yeah, I got one of these letters too, I might send off the SAE, (70p isn't exactly going to break the bank) just to find out what I've won, if it's a digital camera, I won't claim and I don't see that I've lost anything. Do these companies legally have to have all the prizes they mention in the letter? Is there really £25k up for grabs?

I also got a letter today offering me £2,249,266 with the small print on the back " WAA [the company from which the letter came] does not award and/or hold cash or prizes of any sort." of course they wanted a £20 processing fee. The reply envelope isn't even postage paid so i can't so much as make them pay the postage to receive my claim slip telling them to F off.

I did a scratch card once, so under pressure from my wife who's desperate for a holiday, I sent off for my claim number by text, costing me £9. Turns out I'd won a holiday in Majorca I sent off the claim form, got my reply back which said I had 2 weeks to reply accepting the offer. The holiday was for 1 person to majorca, staying in a 3 star self-catering place, and I couldn't even choose when to go, oh and they wanted me to send a £39 "processing fee". I could probably get a return flight to majorca by myself for that. You live, you learn.
# 18
bella165
Old 08-05-2008, 1:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

you lot dont waste your time shred them snd stick em in you compost bin
Replies to posts are alway's welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bella165 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
raycboy
Old 31-07-2008, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have also received one of these letters with the allocation code of 603498, i am going to post off for my "prize" and i will let you all know what the outcome is. No doubt it will be the digi camera but it has got to be worth the price of a couple of stamps,cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to raycboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
lahli
Old 31-07-2008, 5:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycboy View Post
I have also received one of these letters with the allocation code of 603498, i am going to post off for my "prize" and i will let you all know what the outcome is. No doubt it will be the digi camera but it has got to be worth the price of a couple of stamps,cheers

What a coincidence! I've received a letter this week with the same allocation code. I thought there was a catch so am glad that I didn't even waste the price of 2 stamps. Also, I think once you respond to these letters, they will keep sending them to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to lahli For This Useful Post: Show me >>