Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bgscotty
    Argos won't refund money for UNOPENED digital camera
    • 5th Mar 11, 2:08 PM
    Argos won't refund money for UNOPENED digital camera 5th Mar 11 at 2:08 PM
    Hi folks,

I'd be grateful for advice....

I bought a new digital camera as a gift from Argos, but my friend already received one.

I took the unopened box and receipt back to the store to get a refund within their 30 day policy, but I was told digital cameras are not covered.

The camera and accessories are in the unopened packaging. I can understand if the camera had been opened.

I'd be grateful to know where I stand with regards getting a refund.

Thank you.

Here is the extract from the Argos website (video games can be returned if the packaging is unopened):
    If I change my mind...

Within 30 days
    • Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee, so just return them to us unused, in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with your receipt and we’ll give you a refund.
    • If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have a proof of purchase we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.
    • To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
    • Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept back video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights
    • Our 30-day money-back guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here, we might as well DANCE !!!"
Page 1
  • CyCo
    • 5th Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    Where you stand with regards to getting a refund?

Stood holding the camera you purchased. You have no legal right to recieve a refund for the camera.
    • chocdonuty
    • By chocdonuty 5th Mar 11, 2:26 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    chocdonuty
    • 5th Mar 11, 2:26 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 2:26 PM
    Might depend on what you mean by "unopened"
    Is it factory sealed in shrink wrap or have you just not opened the box?
    If the former then try another argos store, you have no right to return the camera but another store may be a little more sympathetic.
    If the later then you probably don't have a chance in returning it.
    Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes but definatly
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Mar 11, 3:19 PM
    • 7,809 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Mar 11, 3:19 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 3:19 PM
    Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

Argos cameras says it all .

jje
    • dan_l
    • By dan_l 5th Mar 11, 3:53 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    dan_l
    • 5th Mar 11, 3:53 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 3:53 PM
    Might depend on what you mean by "unopened"
    Is it factory sealed in shrink wrap or have you just not opened the box?
    If the former then try another argos store, you have no right to return the camera but another store may be a little more sympathetic.
    If the later then you probably don't have a chance in returning it.
    Originally posted by chocdonuty
    Agree with this. I got an MP3 player from them for christmas which are also excluded from refunds (I think its because it has recordable storage, same as a camera probably) but luckily it was the store manager on the refund desk and although he said he shouldn't really be doing this, he could see it was still clearly sealed and just used his discretion and refunded.

I think this is the best chance you have got, as already suggested try a few different stores.

Dan
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Mar 11, 9:16 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 5th Mar 11, 9:16 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 9:16 PM
    Here is the extract from the Argos website (video games can be returned if the packaging is unopened):
    If I change my mind...

Within 30 days
    • To protect your personal security, we are also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
    Originally posted by bgscotty
    I can understand that if the camera packaging has been opened there is the risk that a customer may have left some data on it. Fair enough.

Quite how a customer would leave personal data on a camera that has clearly not been opened...?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 5th Mar 11, 9:52 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 5th Mar 11, 9:52 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 9:52 PM
    Argos will repair rather than replace a faulty camera. DD camera broke about 3 mths old. Took it back for replacement and was refused. Argued the toss, saying it was obviously faulty from start therefore please could i have a refund/replacement. Was told NO way policy is to repair. Very begrudingly accepted this as cashier refused to budge. However cashier next to us, overheard us and commented that nothing was being sent off from that store as there was no one to deal with them?? So my cashier then went and checked and I ws then offered replacement, none in stock, so was given a gift card.
    • mo786uk
    • By mo786uk 5th Mar 11, 9:58 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    mo786uk
    • 5th Mar 11, 9:58 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 9:58 PM
    [/LIST]I can understand that if the camera packaging has been opened there is the risk that a customer may have left some data on it. Fair enough.

Quite how a customer would leave personal data on a camera that has clearly not been opened...?
    Originally posted by squeaky
    They have given a blanket policy so they don;t have to differeiate between situations where

a) the product is still sealed.
    b) the product is not sealed but the customer hasnt used it.
    c) the customer has used it but has managed to package it all up to look unused.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 5th Mar 11, 10:05 PM
    • 16,405 Posts
    • 12,748 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 5th Mar 11, 10:05 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 10:05 PM
    Argos will repair rather than replace a faulty camera.
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    But the OP hasn't got a faulty camera.
    • halibut2209
    • By halibut2209 5th Mar 11, 10:11 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    halibut2209
    As said you are not entitled to a refund, but speak to the manager. If he refuses, ask about the possibility of store credit. A fair compromise, although legally they are not obliged to offer anything.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 5th Mar 11, 10:43 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Shelldean
    But the OP hasn't got a faulty camera.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    But other posters was suggesting that the OP say it's faulty to obtain a refund. And I was pointing out Argos really don't like to refund on cameras at all.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Mar 11, 11:53 PM
    • 21,862 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    In this day & age its so simple to buy security labels and machines that can reseal boxes quite cheaply.

On items that can be used and returned i presume they try and cut down on abuse of the system.

I wonder how many camcorders they sold on a friday and got returned on a monday as unwanted, Also wonder
    how many people accidently left the tape of the wedding/party in the camera/camcorder when they returned it?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
  • IndigoBlue
    Just sell it on eBay stick a reserve on it and get your money back that way. (BNIB)
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Mar 11, 1:29 AM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Just sell it on eBay stick a reserve on it and get your money back that way. (BNIB)
    Originally posted by IndigoBlue
    The OP will get no where near the price they paid back but this may be the best solution.
  • IndigoBlue
    The OP will get no where near the price they paid back but this may be the best solution.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Tough. The returns policy states no return on DC. This is the best way to get his money back.
  • bcl999
    They have that "excluded" disclaimer on more & more products now.
    I'd only ever buy a camera from them on-line (but not click & collect). You can still return it to a store but you get DSR rights and your P&P back.
  • Unintentional
    The cashier would of said to you it's exempt from the money back guarantee so by going ahead with the transaction, you accepted that.

How is the camera packaged? Does it have plastic wrapping round the box? Or any seals on the point where you open it?
    I try to help as much as I can. But I'm also honest and speak my mind.

Smoke free since Jan 2014 If you want any advice on quitting please send me a PM.
    • halibut2209
    • By halibut2209 6th Mar 11, 2:36 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    halibut2209
    The cashier would of said to you it's exempt from the money back guarantee so by going ahead with the transaction, you accepted that.
    Originally posted by Unintentional
    I thought of that, but the OP may have used a self-serve machine
  • nicolax
    I thought of that, but the OP may have used a self-serve machine
    Originally posted by halibut2209
    the self service machines actually come up with a notice too saying theyre exempt as well
    • halibut2209
    • By halibut2209 6th Mar 11, 6:06 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    halibut2209
    Thought of that too, but didn't know for certain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,526Users online

Martin's Twitter