IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Quote for new fence
Closed Thread
Views: 2,858
# 1
Lubielu
Old 02-03-2011, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Quote for new fence

Hello

Any views on this quote to remove and replace our garden fence in SW London please?

The job is to remove our very rickety old fence and posts, no significant clearance of plants or roots involved. Supply and install 12 metres of pine, pressure treated closeboard fence. 1.8 metre high including gravel board. The fence will be assembled on site, not panels, due to restricted access to the property. We've asked for a top rail to finish off the fence.

The quotes we have so far are:

Quote 1: 780 excl VAT, so 936 in total
Quote 2: 700 incl VAT but excluding waste disposal (we would have to take the old wood to the tip).

We are pressed for time so although I would normally get several more quotes in, I'd appreciate views on which quote is more normal - obviously there's a bit of difference between them.

Thanks!
Lubielu
# 2
ewcs
Old 02-03-2011, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default quote for new fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubielu View Post
Hello

Any views on this quote to remove and replace our garden fence in SW London please?

The job is to remove our very rickety old fence and posts, no significant clearance of plants or roots involved. Supply and install 12 metres of pine, pressure treated closeboard fence. 1.8 metre high including gravel board. The fence will be assembled on site, not panels, due to restricted access to the property. We've asked for a top rail to finish off the fence.

The quotes we have so far are:

Quote 1: 780 excl VAT, so 936 in total
Quote 2: 700 incl VAT but excluding waste disposal (we would have to take the old wood to the tip).

We are pressed for time so although I would normally get several more quotes in, I'd appreciate views on which quote is more normal - obviously there's a bit of difference between them.

Thanks!
Lubielu
Your only being charged 80 to have the waste tipped, and the contractors have to pay a tipping charge, or you dispose of it & save 80, your choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to ewcs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
phill99
Old 02-03-2011, 6:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thats not true is it? The difference in the 2 prices is 236. so thst the cost of tipping, not 80.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 4
Lubielu
Old 02-03-2011, 7:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

The second contractor has now broken his quote down as follows:

Materials 490
Labour 200

TOTAL: 690

This means it's about 40 per metre. On the labour quote, he says it's 1.5 days work for him.

I think that this quote doesn't sound too bad, but I would appreciate any views from people more experienced than me!

The other quote is 246 more expensive which is from a combination of VAT (their quote was exclusive of VAT whereas this one is inclusive) and waste disposal costs.

Thanks again
Lublielu
# 5
The Blue Hatter
Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Go for the cheaper quote and phone a "man with a van" and he'll take it away for 50-100.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Blue Hatter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ewcs
Old 03-03-2011, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
Thats not true is it? The difference in the 2 prices is 236. so thst the cost of tipping, not 80.
156 of the 236 is vat, so 700 for the work 80 for the tipping =780 plus vat 936, so the cost of the tipping is not 236 as you stated.
# 7
phill99
Old 03-03-2011, 3:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcs View Post
156 of the 236 is vat, so 700 for the work 80 for the tipping =780 plus vat 936, so the cost of the tipping is not 236 as you stated.
The only tangible difference in the service you will receive is having the rubbish removed.

Therefrore that service is actually costing you 236. although I accept most is the VAT. But why pay VAT if you don't have to.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
The Following User Says Thank You to phill99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ewcs
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubielu View Post
Hi

The second contractor has now broken his quote down as follows:

Materials 490
Labour 200

TOTAL: 690

This means it's about 40 per metre. On the labour quote, he says it's 1.5 days work for him.

I think that this quote doesn't sound too bad, but I would appreciate any views from people more experienced than me!

The other quote is 246 more expensive which is from a combination of VAT (their quote was exclusive of VAT whereas this one is inclusive) and waste disposal costs.

Thanks again
Lublielu
it`s up to you, do you want the bother of taking it to the tip or not? personally i would go for quote 2 as they are going to finish the job and leave all cleaned up
# 9
Malky
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You're being quoted over the odds for material with the first contractor. I know contractors like to put a bit of mark up on materials but for a 1.8 x 12m fence should only cost about 250 so maybe charge you 300. A day and a half labour about 300 plus removal of waste 50. All in all 700 is not too bad but should be getting your waste removed in that price too. A rule of thumb is 50 to 55 per metre not including waste removal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Lubielu
Old 06-03-2011, 7:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We're going with the second contractor - he's now dropped the price for the materials a bit, and we're going to get my mum to recycle some of the wood on her allotment cutting down on the waste removal. I don't mind taking the rest to the tip if it saves a few bob. We looked at Hippo Bags, if anyone has used those? But we thought it looked a bit complicated, having to ensure the bag is no more than 4m from the kerb, no parked cars in the way, etc. But that would have been a reasonably low cost option if the practicalities had worked.

The new fence is going in on Tuesday - fingers crossed! Thanks for all the advice!
Closed Thread