Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,569Posts
    • 20,626Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £91,471.25 (11.01.2018)
    OP's to Date £5500

Renovation Fund:£736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £39
Page 127
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC

It's not my first ever tax return as I have been doing them for several years for the MIL and this is the 3rd one of my own for myself due to various dividends we used to get at work and now my property income.

Nevertheless, I have taken your points on board and it is indeed really useful to write things down and make sure that you print everything out. It will definately be more complicated next year with employment, house income and self employment all mixed in for good measure and your tips will be very handy.

Cheers.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Happy New Year MCI

Congratulations on your new life, could you PM me a link to your online shop?

I realise it was last August, but I !!!!ing love the fact that you were given a PH meter for chutney when you left work
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Hi Ed

Lovely to see you popping by. I like the PH meter too lol.

I will PM you,

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 28,331 Posts
    • 157,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's very gracious of you, MCI I'm glad it's been a smooth process for you
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    First tax return done!!! Going to pay the bill when I've done DHs and then I can pay them both together. Was a little more than I expected - but I have also come to expect that the 'benefits' part of being employed is always in arrears as it crosses the tax year end and has usually changed. Oh well, only next years' to cope with then it's all me...

Doing the MILs tomorrow.

Been looking at the categories for my business expenses so I can get ahead with getting everything ready for the end of the tax year as I know what I am like - I'll just leave it and it will be a mad panic this time next year. Need to get into a routine and need to get myself motivated.

Cat had decided she doesn't like me on the computer (except when she's asleep) as I'm not paying her enough attention lol.

OP made earlier (almost forgot to do it!). Will update signature when the account has updated.

Going to finish putting my sale items on tomorrow - pointless trying to take photos when it's dark outside.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Sad news this morning that one of my dear friends' Dad died suddenly last week. I never knew him, but heard numerous tales about him and my friend was very close to him. This particular friend supported me when my Dad passed away nearly 5 years ago and although we live a couple of hundred miles apart that contact was invaluable to me at the time. Time for me to return the favour if wanted.

Today's tasks include (hopefully) - 2 more tax returns. Doing DH this morning and hope to do MILS this afternoon. I also need to go and see my Mum to tell her ha bout my friends father and to deliver a couple of bits of shopping. Going to carry on sorting out my accounts too after I've put the rest of my sale items on the Web site; stock take will probably happen tomorrow.

We are going for our new year meal tonight at one of our favourite pub restaurants - we haven't been for a good while (nearly 12 months) and it will be a real treat for us both.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    So, I've had quite a productive morning.

DH tax return done - so we just have to pay now!

Arranged to do MILs this afternoon.

Sale item photos done and items are now on the web-site.

Off to Mum's shortly and then down to MILs.

I like being back on the diary - helps me to keep focus on the jobs in hand.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 28,331 Posts
    • 157,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's good in diaryland, isn't it I'm glad it's still positive for you

Very sorry to hear about your friend's dad though. And it being sudden brings its own set of traumas
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Lovely meal was had last night and was only about £2 over budget!

This morning was spent sorting out business and charity FB posts and taking a close look at the diary to see what's feasible market wise but also planning time off to spend with DH. Booked a market for March.

This afternoon I have spent organising and stock taking all my packaging and sundry items that I use to make up the gifts. Literally just finished. Condensed a load of boxes, everything is labelled and there are about 6 empty boxes which have now been flat packed. Just need to put prices next to all my items and then I will know how much stock I'm carrying. I also scribbled some notes on alternative uses and ideas for key marketing times - I will work these into some sort of plan.

Pleased with what I've achieved. My reward will be yoga tonight (first time in nearly 2 months) and home made pizza for tea.

Happy Friday all.

MCI

P'S All tax returns done. MIL is owed money (10) and we've still got to pay, but at least they are done.
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 12-01-2018 at 5:51 PM.
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Saturday was a mixed day. DH got a couple of jobs done down my mum's that have been wanting for a while - glad to get them out of the way. Mum not so good at the moment as she had a little fall in the week and it's knocked her about a bit. My brother is keeping a close eye on her. I'll be going back in on Monday with shopping. It's worrying, but trying to keep positive - she's a tough bird really.

Put prices next to most of my items on my stock list - still some to go and already up to £270 (the ones left are quite large too...) it does explain why the cc debt is at what it is and reassuring in a way that once these items are sold I can pay the debt down - though this may take another year yet (debt on 0% for a long time yet so no worries there).

I then went to sleep! DH nodded off too, so back end of the afternoon was, not wasted , but shall we say not used to capacity; although I did clean the kitchen.

Tea was salmon, jacket potato, avocado and DHs special salad - it was nice and surprisingly filling. Second night without alcohol has done me good I think.

Today we are off down to Wales to visit friends (who I haven't seen for months). Be good to see them and give the kids their presents.

Have a lovely Sunday all.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 28,331 Posts
    • 157,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That *does* sound like a lovely Sunday. Hope Monday is good too, and your mum is better.

Erm, the nap ... since you're actually a hive of activity, can I suggest that not only did you not waste the afternoon, you used it well!
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC...managed to sleep during the night too so must have needed it.

It's been a nice day...jumped on by our friends kids, putting leg together watching films and daft kids programmes and a good old chin wag catching up. Back home now and ready for bed. Cat leased or see me too and she's curled up beside me in DHs spot on the bed (he's downstairs unwinding after the drive home).

Tomorrow is another day.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 16th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 20,626 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    DH came home from work yesterday with a bad back - he had a twinge before Christmas and it's just gone on him. It threw my day though -wasn't expecting him home...

He's a bit better today, but probably going to take tomorrow off so he can be properly rested.

I forgot to mention that I won £25 on the Premium bonds - I was really excited until I realised that my tax bill over and above what the rent tax is is £38 (which I really don't understand as I was on PAYE). Give with one hand and take away with the other (and some). Really must pay our bills tomorrow then they will be out of the way.

Sold some packaging I was sent in error for £5 today - another chip off the business credit card bill. I have a few more bits like this that I need to get rid of.

Saw my cousin yesterday - was a good catch up - we sat in her new extension looking at the squirrel and birds (including a wren) in the garden having a good old chat and a cuppa! We are defiantly going to do that more often...

Had a nice dinner of fish pasta tonight with LO garlic bread - it was very welcome after starting to sort out my accounts for the 6 months I've done - 2 months down, 4 to go.

Off to see my friend who is on bed rest tomorrow - will get a few jobs done in the morning before popping to see her.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 28,331 Posts
    • 157,712 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Surprises good and bad, but you're still making good things happen. Keep on going
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,210Posts Today

9,629Users online

Martin's Twitter