Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,605Posts
    • 20,835Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £91,471.25 (11.01.2018)
    OP's to Date £5500

Renovation Fund:£736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £2.50 (after microwave purchase
Page 126
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Aug 17, 10:26 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks for stopping by SHS..yes engineer for 23 years following in the footsteps of both grandads. It will always stay with me.

Got a feeling I might have to use the lemons in something else as they seem to be going mouldy as they get just ripe enough. Got courgette & Ginger Marmalade to make so need lemon zest and juice for that so will probably utilise them there before I loose them all to mould. Will just have to go and get some yellow lemons from somewhere and process them straight away.

Had a lovely day out yesterday mooching round the antique fair, caught up with a retired colleague - so lovely to see him and DH bought a couple of toys at a bargain price that he will be trying to sell at his toy fair next weekend (yes we will both be out next Sunday trying to make money in separate places!)

Today we are back at the same place to check out the food and craft market partly because I love it and partly as a recon mission for next year.

We a a are having a little bbq later mainly using stuff we have in the freezer, just the two of us...It will be fun.

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow! Can't believe it's 2 weeks since I've been on here!

It's been very busy - glad this week is going to be a little less hectic. Business is doing okay - weather has been against me on the last two markets, but lessons learned and nice people met.

OP of £500 made last week from the rent money and signature updated. Not sure how long we can keep this up but I am doing my best to bring enough money in - new opportunities arising all the time.

I hope everyone is well, going to take a few days to catch up with everyone's news.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,092 Thanks
    Karmacat
    OP of £500 made last week from the rent money and signature updated. Not sure how long we can keep this up but I am doing my best to bring enough money in - new opportunities arising all the time.
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    That sounds great! Really happy to hear it's going so well.
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 25th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Another 2 weeks go by...I can see a pattern emerging.

I am just about to embark on September's finances. I think we have done alright (I hope). My income is a little below what I would like it to be, but at least we have DH toy fair money to prop it up this month.

I am hoping that my business spending will calm down a bit in the coming month...nearly there with the Foodie gifts -the packaging has been a nightmare to sort out.

Had a good last two weeks at market - sold out last week and did quite well yesterday too. Makes up for the previous weeks (just about) when I was beginning to feel like a duck! Quack! Quack!

This month's rental money will be put by for the mortgage OP planned for beginning of November (provided we don't have to dip into it -I don't think we will).

Lots of markets booked and just about to sort the last week of November out -which is my only free week now before Christmas.

We are having a new boiler on 21st Oct and I have planned a long overdue House Warming for the 28th Oct - going to have a little foodie gift product launch as well. DH not too happy about that, but I'm not happy about the expense on the boiler...so I think we are even. Will have that week off to clean the house and prepare for the party and fix anything after the boiler installation.

I better get on with my chores - still can't get used to Monday being my Saturday.

Hope everyone is well.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow...its been a while.

Been busy and had a couple of injuries (knee and ankle). Felt like I was loosing my mojo the last couple of weeks too...but hopefully getting better now - head has been all over the place.

Fully booked till Christmas now and hoping to be making a bit of money at the gift fairs I'm going to.

Made another OP on the 6th - we are now under £93k and we have 19 years 2 months left on the term. Paid about £500 less interest this year than last - it's going down nicely and I do hope that we can keep it going. Next OP planned for January 2018!!!

The change in interest rate doesn't affect us mortgage wise due to us being on the fixed rate for 5 years...hoping it may make a small difference on the savings though - or am I asking too much?

As seems customary for this time of year, I seem to be loosing weight again - not intentional at all - need to remember to eat when I'm busy - I tend to forget!

Got a busy few weeks ahead and need my strength (and need to heal my twisted ankle) - so having a lazy day today with my feet up. Got a few chores to do shortly, but will settle back down again afterwards.

I do hope everyone is well - I can see me doing all my catching up at Christmas at this rate.

Take care xx
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 25th Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Life continues a pace and I have had to bring myself to a relative stop for today. Cancelled one of my markets (only lost £5 stall fee) as I am shattered and need my strength for another gift fair tomorrow - it was much better to abandon that one and risk a lot of work for not much gain (I don't know that but it's a new market to me and not a very well established one - so I will keep deluding myself!).

So instead of baking yesterday I sat with my feet up and updated my Web site, opened my online shop, did a new Christmassy Facebook cover and did my clear product and price labels for my stall tomorrow. So a lot achieved without having to stand - which is good news for the ankle as it's still quite sore as I haven't been able to rest it as much as I should have done.

Seriously starting to think about Christmas now and I've got a few gifts stashed away - need a few more, but sticking mainly to budget for each person. Hoping to half what I spent last year...

Going to a friends on Monday who is on bed rest as she has a pressure sore (from being on bed rest after an operation). It was her birthday this week and I am going with baked goodies and a lunch time meal of cottage pie (that was requested). I have also agreed to do her three Christmas dinners and deliver them on Christmas Eve as she will still be on bed rest and her family still expect her to provide dinner (don't ask, it's a long story). Anyway, going to cheer her up and make plans for the coming weeks on how I can help whilst fitting everything else in.

Not too much to do today - I guess about 4 hours work and then I can relax into my event tomorrow knowing I'm all ready to go. Fortunately it's only about 20-30 mins drive so not too early start.

I hope everyone is keeping well and I'll check in soon as time allows.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Nov 17, 9:18 AM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,092 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, you sound busy! I really hope you're enjoying it!
    Retired August 2016
    • CathT
    • By CathT 25th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,428 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    CathT
    Business venture sounds great MCI. What a good friend you are too.
    Feb 2018 -
    part 1 - £78,989
    part 2 - £45,748
    Total - £124,737
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 25th Nov 17, 10:56 AM
    • 649 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sounds busy! Sometimes a day off to recharge is needed and desperately important for your health and sanity. Good luck with the fair tomorrow though.
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi everyone

I really don't know where to begin to catch up! The last few weeks have been a complete whirl wind of time in the kitchen, markets, getting ready for Christmas, looking after my friend and then Christmas itself.

Having finally slowed down for a bit (even though I have loads to do in the house over the next couple of weeks), it's time to take stock, catch up and enjoy a little me time.

Today seems a good time to start - DH is off to visit a toy fair and I will have the house to myself for a couple of hours.

Aims for 2018 include:

- Double my turnover (may be a bit ambitious but you got to aim high right?)
    - Keep finances at such a level that the OP'S from the rent money continue uninterrupted.
    - make some money by other means - eBay etc... get back into surveys
    - make some time for DH and I (I have been working so hard we have barely seen each other the last few weeks - this defiantly needs rectifying)
    - meal plan a little further than one week in advance - although I haven't done too badly with controlling the food budget I know we can do better with a little more planning
    - get my business stuff organised - I need to know what I've got ingredients/packaging wise, what I may need this year as capital purchases and get some budgets in place (rough only while I'm still working my way through my first business year). Getting organised will have a knock on effect on practically all the other things I want to do including my time with DH.

I do hope that everyone is well and I look forward to catching up with you all.

In the meantime I wish you all the very best for 2018 whatever your plans or aspirations are.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 1st Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,092 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds very good to me, MCI. And speaking as a person who's been organising a new patchwork stash - it's really crucial to know what stock you've got
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    What a lucky girl I am...

One of the things I have been meaning to do was to get all my gift cards together - I knew that I had a few, some from birthday and some more from Christmas (even one from last Christmas).

Now as I have no money for myself at the moment I thought that I might go and have a spend in the sales with my gift cards - I have just found them all and added them up.

£30 M&S
    £25 Amazon
    £75 Next
    £30 House of Fraser (for both of us)
    £20 Nandos (for both of us)
    £10 Asda
    odd amount on a Waitrose card
    Plus what I have left on my John Lewis card they gave me as a leaving present (over £100 - can't remember exactly)

Wow...that's quite a bit.

Intend to treat myself and the house with what I've got.

Oh, and I found €80 left over from my holiday in Greece in 2016 that can be put towards spending money for a holiday some time - god knows when that might be, but at least I have something towards it.

Quite shocked, but really pleased and really grateful to my friends and family that have done this for me - it pays to squirrel sometimes - but not for too long as I don't want them to expire on me.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 1st Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8,302 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Hi, MCI
    That's a decent stash of money that you've found!
    All the best for 2018 - I'm hoping to be a more regular visit this year, as I was missing everyone!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Jan 18, 11:43 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I hope to be a more regular visitor too.

I miss everyone and clarifying things on here helps me to focus - something I need to do to move my home life and business forward.

Freezer inventory on the cards tomorrow before shopping - still loads of food lying about but not much in the fridges - need to stock up with fruit, veg and things for my lunches -have a terrible habit of either eating rubbish or nothing at all now I'm at home - neither option is good for me!

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Freezer inventory done and a rough 4 week meal plan also done.

Got the 2017 spreadsheets up to date, created the new one and paid the credit card bill.

Sorted a big pile of paperwork out - which I am currently sitting amongst whilst typing this (the cat has also found herself a spot amongst the paperwork to sleep!) - found all the stuff I need for tax return, a cheque for £7.60 which I hope they will still cash and 3 old £ coins which I know they will exchange at the bank.

A lot of paperwork regarding the ops found (though my last one is eluding me - only saw it before Christmas so can't be far away). We are heading towards the 19 year mark - we took the mortgage out for 23 years 2 and a half years ago so ticking down nicely - I know that our ops will have more of an impact as time goes on, will be making another one this month (probably tomorrow).

Got to book my MOT for Feb soon once I know what markets I am doing - dreading it in case it's expensive - first time without a proper safety net for these things and although I have a little money put by I don't want to spend it all on the car!

Feel really tired today, so going to finish this filing, have a cuppa and put my feet up for a bit.

Tonight's tea is roasted vegetable cous cous with fish in a Spanish style tomato sauce - using up odds and ends of veg and some store cupboard ingredients.

MCI
    OP's to Date £5500

• Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 5th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 8,302 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I've found it really helpful to have a freezer inventory. I now keep it up to date every time I put something in or take something out. I think it helps, as things don't languish in there for ever. That's the theory - but there's one portion of pea and ham soup that's been in there since this time last year!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,092 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I have a huge stash of various sorts of dried beans ... I update the inventory every time I add or subtract a packet ... freezer is only used to keep nuts and seeds fresh, and store supermarket bags of frozen veg, so I don't use it in the same way as other folks, but inventories are wonderful things
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 20,835 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I couldn't agree more about inventories, but am terrible for keepinng things up to date when I am busy! I need to do a stock take of all the packaging etc...I have for the business and put a figure on it - it will help me to get some perspective on the value of what I have and may give me some ideas on how to use it.

Went shopping last night with the vouchers in my bag - what a pity there was hardly anything I wanted to buy! I did get some new underwear from M$S and a perfume set from N£xt; we also used £4.99 of the Asda voucher I had to get some flavoured packet rice and cous cous (reduced of course) for quick meals; also picked up a couple of marinades so we can perk up plain dinners with the minimum of fuss (a lovely treat for me when I'vee been in the kitchen all day and don't want to spend hours creating a tasty dinner for us).

I am sitting on the bed, with the cat curled up on my feet and I have been updating my web site, creating social media banners and deciding what to put in my 'January Sale'. Nearly done now, just need to take a couple of photos and upload a couple more products.

This afternoon is going to be tax return time (well, mine anyway). This year is simple (ish), I am trying to get all my figures straight for next years too - plus it will give me a handle on where I actually stand and allow me to create some budgets for things like consumables, marketing etc...

I wasn't feeling very well last night - I think it's the knock on effect from all the snacks and things that I don't normally eat. I took it easy with what I ate last night and I have skipped breakfast this morning and just had mint tea and water - got some soup out of the freezer for lunch with some seeded bread which I will have shortly.

Still eating from the freezer and we have venison sausages and mash with veggies and gravy planned for tonights' tea.

I need to ring and book a meal for tomorroow night as we have counted up all our change from last year and ended up with £60. This is a wonderful treat which I am really looking forward to. I am really appreciating these treats now we don't go out so much.

The microwave has started to spark - we have had it since 2005 and it was originally DHs grandads' - it has served us incredibly well, but I need one for my business even if it is mainly for melting chocolate and butter together - believe me it makes the job much easier, quicker and reliable. So, I have been looking at £rgos and they have a decent make reduced £44.99 - we have nearly £40 of nectar points, so I think these are going to go towards paying for this - not my intended use for the points - but needs must.

On another nice note, I have downloaded my first lot of codes for our free cinema tickets I get with our gas and electric deal - need to have a look what's on...fortunately I don't have to use them this month, but as January is such a depressing month I hope we find somethiing to go and see - maybe The Greatest Showman.

I suppose I better remove the cat from my feet and go and manually heat my soup in a saucepan!

Wish me luck with tax return number 1!

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 10-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    OP's to Date £5500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,092 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good luck! Your very first tax return!! Take it easy this time - if its at all complicated, I write down what I've done (I have a currency conversion, so I write down how to do it, i.e. whether I need to multiply or divide, oops), I try out the tax return several times to see if it looks right, and when I'm satisfied, I do a print screen of every page. And I do the print screen thing every year, because the way I have to input the complicated bits changes every year.

Simple is lovely and I'm envying you the cat
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 10th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 10,890 Posts
    • 58,143 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Happy New Year MCI

Congratulations on your new life, could you PM me a link to your online shop?

I realise it was last August, but I !!!!ing love the fact that you were given a PH meter for chutney when you left work
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,180Posts Today

7,141Users online

Martin's Twitter