Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,543Posts
    • 20,434Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 126
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Aug 17, 10:26 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks for stopping by SHS..yes engineer for 23 years following in the footsteps of both grandads. It will always stay with me.

Got a feeling I might have to use the lemons in something else as they seem to be going mouldy as they get just ripe enough. Got courgette & Ginger Marmalade to make so need lemon zest and juice for that so will probably utilise them there before I loose them all to mould. Will just have to go and get some yellow lemons from somewhere and process them straight away.

Had a lovely day out yesterday mooching round the antique fair, caught up with a retired colleague - so lovely to see him and DH bought a couple of toys at a bargain price that he will be trying to sell at his toy fair next weekend (yes we will both be out next Sunday trying to make money in separate places!)

Today we are back at the same place to check out the food and craft market partly because I love it and partly as a recon mission for next year.

We a a are having a little bbq later mainly using stuff we have in the freezer, just the two of us...It will be fun.

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow! Can't believe it's 2 weeks since I've been on here!

It's been very busy - glad this week is going to be a little less hectic. Business is doing okay - weather has been against me on the last two markets, but lessons learned and nice people met.

OP of £500 made last week from the rent money and signature updated. Not sure how long we can keep this up but I am doing my best to bring enough money in - new opportunities arising all the time.

I hope everyone is well, going to take a few days to catch up with everyone's news.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,298 Thanks
    Karmacat
    OP of £500 made last week from the rent money and signature updated. Not sure how long we can keep this up but I am doing my best to bring enough money in - new opportunities arising all the time.
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    That sounds great! Really happy to hear it's going so well.
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 25th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Another 2 weeks go by...I can see a pattern emerging.

I am just about to embark on September's finances. I think we have done alright (I hope). My income is a little below what I would like it to be, but at least we have DH toy fair money to prop it up this month.

I am hoping that my business spending will calm down a bit in the coming month...nearly there with the Foodie gifts -the packaging has been a nightmare to sort out.

Had a good last two weeks at market - sold out last week and did quite well yesterday too. Makes up for the previous weeks (just about) when I was beginning to feel like a duck! Quack! Quack!

This month's rental money will be put by for the mortgage OP planned for beginning of November (provided we don't have to dip into it -I don't think we will).

Lots of markets booked and just about to sort the last week of November out -which is my only free week now before Christmas.

We are having a new boiler on 21st Oct and I have planned a long overdue House Warming for the 28th Oct - going to have a little foodie gift product launch as well. DH not too happy about that, but I'm not happy about the expense on the boiler...so I think we are even. Will have that week off to clean the house and prepare for the party and fix anything after the boiler installation.

I better get on with my chores - still can't get used to Monday being my Saturday.

Hope everyone is well.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow...its been a while.

Been busy and had a couple of injuries (knee and ankle). Felt like I was loosing my mojo the last couple of weeks too...but hopefully getting better now - head has been all over the place.

Fully booked till Christmas now and hoping to be making a bit of money at the gift fairs I'm going to.

Made another OP on the 6th - we are now under £93k and we have 19 years 2 months left on the term. Paid about £500 less interest this year than last - it's going down nicely and I do hope that we can keep it going. Next OP planned for January 2018!!!

The change in interest rate doesn't affect us mortgage wise due to us being on the fixed rate for 5 years...hoping it may make a small difference on the savings though - or am I asking too much?

As seems customary for this time of year, I seem to be loosing weight again - not intentional at all - need to remember to eat when I'm busy - I tend to forget!

Got a busy few weeks ahead and need my strength (and need to heal my twisted ankle) - so having a lazy day today with my feet up. Got a few chores to do shortly, but will settle back down again afterwards.

I do hope everyone is well - I can see me doing all my catching up at Christmas at this rate.

Take care xx
    OP's to Date £4500

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,933Users online

Martin's Twitter