Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,530Posts
    • 20,351Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £94730.06 (06.07.2017)
    OP's to Date £4000

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 125
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks MWC! I'll take all the luck I can get

School Fair has been cancelled Was really looking forward to it

It's good for me in a way because of baking, but it is one fundraiser that me and the girls really love.

So onward with baking tonight and tomorrow night - will be relieved when I don't have to do all this on an evening.

Meal from freezer tonight - Pulled Pork - but not sure whether to do baguettes or a fried rice - will ask DH when I get home.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 13th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 9,612 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Ooh, pulled pork baguettes. Lucky Mr Cousinitt!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 29//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £30,703.25
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £105,296.75 // Avg Daily Interest £4.73
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 47.86% of £41,000
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Your last day is coming around quick, hope they give you a good send off. Fantastic that you might get some opportunities from existing contacts too!
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    One week to go - I can not quite believe it.

Glad to be going away for a few days to clear my head.

DH has been having a stressful week and I think with everything going on with me it's just made it worse. We had a chat this morning and all is well.

I have reassured him that I have checked the figures over and over again! And we will be fine and it shouldn't impact on his money at all (unless something drastic happens). So all good there. I think he just wants it all to start so we can establish our new routine - not long to go now - it will be here before we both know it!

HM Pizza using flatbreads tonight - you can tell it's market week as most of our evening meals are not so healthy - that will change when I can bake during the day.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 14-07-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Ooh, pulled pork baguettes. Lucky Mr Cousinitt!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    They were delicious - a lot more so than anticipated - just hit the spot!

Your last day is coming around quick, hope they give you a good send off. Fantastic that you might get some opportunities from existing contacts too!
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    We are going out on Tuesday and I know they have got me at least one present (as they asked me what I wanted). Sad, exciting and scary all at the same time.

Had a chat with another supplier yesterday who is enthusiastic about what I am doing and is going to make sure that he comes to see me. I am amazed and humbled by peoples responses to me leaving engineering. (I think a few of them feel the same as me to be fair - but it isn't always a choice you can make).

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 19th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    2 more sleeps...

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 27,561 Posts
    • 149,959 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Are you still away, MCI? Hope its been brilliant for you
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Aug 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I'm Back!!!
    Hi everyone

Sorry I have been AWOL for so long.

Last day was quite emotional, but also a bit of an anti climax as people were going on holiday and had to get off early. Bit over whelmed by my presents from work which included a watch, a ph meter for my chutneys and a £200 John Lewis voucher! I also had a lovely bunch of flowers off one supplier and a bottle of champagne off another. Tearful at the time but over it now. I haven't really had time to miss the people so far, but that might change in the next few weeks.

Denmark was amazing and very money saving as my friend wouldn't allow me to pay for anything except the snacks in the airport on the way back - so £12 spent all holiday. We mainly stayed local, visited some of his family and some came to visit us. We went to Copenhagen for the day and walked miles! Such a city of contrasts. And we cooked, ate, drank, chatted about the past (we have been friends for over 40 years) and about the future - mine and his (he's got some great things in the pipeline) and we laughed; we laughed a lot!

Was glad of the no extra charges on mobiles and called DH everyday, I missed him a great deal, but I had a really good time.

Since I've been back its busy busy on the business front. Done two Stalls so far and another booked for next weekend,. Still in the process of getting my food safety management system in place (it's hard going when there are other things you would rather be doing). Also had charity work to do (employee off sick...long story) but things are fairly straight now.

Have a day off today and have been pottering in the garden and just stopped to have a cuppa so I thought I'd post on here.

Really enjoying not being so stressed, no commute, planning my own things to do and above all doing things I enjoy.

I hope everyone is well and I look forward to catching up with what everyone has been doing.

Oh and we are on target to make another OP at the beginning of next month...

MCI x
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 14-08-2017 at 8:35 AM.
    OP's to Date £4000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Aug 17, 10:04 AM
    • 27,561 Posts
    • 149,959 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lovely! So glad to hear it's all going well. And what a good friend you have in Denmark
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Aug 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC - haven't made my millions yet but plans are moving ahead.

One stall was quite lucrative and the other was break even - hoping for a little gain this weekend coming.

Going on a recon trip on Wednesday to a potential market with a friend of mine (she has a handmade candle and soap/bath bomb business) - looking forward to a trip out and a coffee on expenses as research and development lol.

20 minutes yoga done this morning and hope to do again tomorrow. Stage one of my cleaning done and the washing done. Shopping at Herr A done and a delivery of syrups to a customer (£5 earned lol). I think I have broke the back of my HACCP plan for chutneys today which I am really pleased about as it was bugging me terribly - more work to do tomorrow, but happy with what I have achieved today.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 15th Aug 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Just lost post

Lots done

Lots to do

Going to have lunch!

See you later

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 15th Aug 17, 9:30 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Had a very productive day on the paperwork front. Procedures for production of jams/chutneys complete, just one more form to do. Couple of emails fired off - one for a stall for Christmas!!!! And the other with details what I want on my business cards.

Tomorrow my friend and I are going to check out a new market in the morning and I have jam, syrup and lemons to sort in the afternoon.

Baking Thursday and Friday and have my regular adventure on Saturday.

Busy busy, but very happy. Just getting into the swing of things - more Stalls to be booked for September.

Decided not to do any Stalls next week so I can finish my paperwork hopefully without interuptions (can't see that happening) and have a proper weekend with DH which I haven't managed since I got back from Denmark.

Meal planning and eating from the freezer at the moment - which is hopefully saving some money. Gas and electric meters changed now so hopefully should save a bit there too. Being quite successful not spending my own money at the moment - there are fewer temptations now I am at home - but hope to stop for a coffee tomorrow as a treat. I have got my hair cut booked in for next week though which is way overdue!

We had Turkey Stroganoff tonight with yellow stickered turkey - and now a DH has gone round our friends (4 doors down) to help with a diy problem!! So I thought I would catch up on here while I wait for him to come back. I might be asleep if he is too long.

Did another 20 mins yoga this morning (the lovely sun sequence - hope I did it right) and planning a quick session of warrior in the morning as my friend is coming here for 9am. I must keep it up and see the benefits - the aim is to do 2-3 short sessions a week in addition to my class on a Friday. It is good for focus!

Have a good night everyone.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 15-08-2017 at 9:32 PM.
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Recon mission was good - going to ring up next week and see if I can book a stall. It was an old market with a few new things and I think I see it as an opportunity. It will either go one of two ways, we will both do really well as we are something different or we will stick out like a sore thumb and not make anything!

We did have coffee and cake, but it was a morning out and it was good to sit down and have a good chat about our businesses. I was a bit surprised that my friend didn't have a business plan! Although mine isn't formalised in writing at this stage I do have a clear idea as to what I want to do, how I'm going to do it and how much I want to make.

Jam for filling scones and tarts made yesterday when I got back and made some more cinnamon syrup ready for Saturday's market.

Today I have made preserved lemons, contacted a supplier about getting bulk buy courgettes and more lemons. What do people feel about green lemons?? this time if year (I have been informed) that the first fruit from southern Spain and Italy is green and is not necessarily unripe. I need lemons, but I am worried about the perception of using green ones (it does however depend on 'how' green they are). I would appreciate your feedback on that.

I have also done my first stage baking for my Saturday market. I have achieved today what would have taken me two nights when I was at work full time and I have tidied up, had a shower and got time to relax before making tea! (This is despite realising I had forgotten to buy an orange I needed for one of the recipes and having to stop, walk up to the shops and walk back again before continuing).

I am pretty shattered though as I woke up at 3 am with stuff whizzing round my head - I had to get up to get a drink of water and I decided to get it all off my chest and practically wrote a blog! I managed to get back to sleep about 5 am, and I did resist the temptation to go back to bed after DH left this morning - it would have been all too easy, but I would have wasted the morning.

Tuna steaks and jacket potato with avocado is on the menu tonight - going to try out one of my recipes I concocted when I was up last night to try it out. I will be using the remaining half an orange left over from my cake that I had to go out an buy earlier - so no wastage there!

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,160Users online

Martin's Twitter