Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,510Posts
    • 20,249Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £95843.15 (09.05.2017)
    OP's to Date £3500

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £0 - all done
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 124
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 12th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 16,375 Posts
    • 107,212 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Congratulations MCI, I hope all goes well for you. You've always struck me as very sensible so am sure it's all been well thought out. Sometimes you need to ''JFDI' .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 20,249 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thank you both.

Scared but hopeful. Will try to keep my sensible head on lol

MCI x
    OP's to Date £3500

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £0 - all done
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 16th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 20,249 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi all

Busy, busy as usual.

Got another market this weekend, my penultimate one before going full time. I haven't been in the mood for baking this week, but I have 3 more bakes to do this evening, get my stuff together and I'm done - feel a bit better today so hopefully they will go smoothly and we will get to eat before 10pm! We will see.

HM Pizza using special offer flat breads tonight that I bought last week and froze.

Done a rough meal plan till next Wednesday:

Sat: Burgers
    Sun: Eat at MILs
    Mon: Chicken Stir Fry
    Tues: Seafood Paella
    Wed: Chicken Traybake

Hopefully should keep me on the straight an narrow and out of the shops and out of the pub having a 'cheap and cheerful'.

MCI
    OP's to Date £3500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 27,388 Posts
    • 148,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's the thing about doing it for a business - even if you love it, it does become "work", simply because you have to do it when you don't feel like it.

One of the funniest conversations I ever had about that was in the early days of my SE, when I was still subcontracting from CrazyPeopleRUs. A really important book had just come out that was genuinely obligatory to read, I was talking to a client about it while CrazyPeopleRUs were on holiday. "Oh", says lovely client, "I suppose they've taken it on holiday with them to read on the beach". "Er, no", says I, confused ... it dawned on each of us what the other's assumption was; it was very British Understated Humour
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th Jun 17, 10:30 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Huge congratulations on your new adventure MCI I will look forward to seeing your meal plans returning too!
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 20th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 20,249 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I think the main problem at the moment is that I am working full time and baking on an evening (especially when it's nice outside!). I sometimes get this feeling when I have to bake for fundraising too.

When I can do it to my own schedule I am sure it will be better - I am fully aware that I won't always feel like it - but being on my own terms will be good.

I suppose I can never really get away from food! So it's a good job that I love it. A holiday for me is going to a restaurant - I can enjoy without having to create.

We will have to see how it goes.

MCI
    OP's to Date £3500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 20th Jun 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 20,249 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Huge congratulations on your new adventure MCI I will look forward to seeing your meal plans returning too!
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thanks - Looking forward to being on here a little more again and sharing the meal plans and my baking ideas.

Slight alteration to tonight's tea - now going to be seafood in chilli and garlic marinade with roasted vegetable cous cous.

MCI
    OP's to Date £3500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 22nd Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 20,249 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Five week month - so excavating the freezer for meals this week. Feel we need a treat too so going to get a Dine in for £10 from either Sparks or Mr T (Cheaper than going out!)

So, this is what I've come up with:

Thurs: Fish Cakes, Rice & Veg/Salad (always a lazy day so will pick up some Fish Cakes from Herr A)
    Fri: HM Chilli Jackets & Salad - will transform the 1/2 portion of Spag Bol I have into a Chilli
    Sat: Dine in for £10
    Sun: Eat at MILs
    Mon: Tarragon Chicken & Pasta
    Tues: Fish & Prawn Paella
    Wed: Posh Sausage & Mash

Going to work on a meal plan for the whole of July and see what I can save.

Not much news on any other front - working my way through my notice period - busy with charity stuff and plans for my business.

Looking forward to finishing so I have time to compete all the ideas I currently have running round my head.

Got a few issues at my Mum's at the moment, been trying to get the security up to scratch as it has been lacking for a long time and the shed was broken into a few weeks ago (although we don't know exactly when). Getting there and pleased that issues that have been on going since well before Dad passed away are now being sorted.

MCI
    OP's to Date £3500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 27,388 Posts
    • 148,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The situation at work sounds like its settled down, and yes, the meal plan sounds tres posh lovely!
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter