Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,542Posts
    • 20,426Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 124
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 12th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 16,425 Posts
    • 107,652 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Congratulations MCI, I hope all goes well for you. You've always struck me as very sensible so am sure it's all been well thought out. Sometimes you need to ''JFDI' .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thank you both.

Scared but hopeful. Will try to keep my sensible head on lol

MCI x
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 16th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi all

Busy, busy as usual.

Got another market this weekend, my penultimate one before going full time. I haven't been in the mood for baking this week, but I have 3 more bakes to do this evening, get my stuff together and I'm done - feel a bit better today so hopefully they will go smoothly and we will get to eat before 10pm! We will see.

HM Pizza using special offer flat breads tonight that I bought last week and froze.

Done a rough meal plan till next Wednesday:

Sat: Burgers
    Sun: Eat at MILs
    Mon: Chicken Stir Fry
    Tues: Seafood Paella
    Wed: Chicken Traybake

Hopefully should keep me on the straight an narrow and out of the shops and out of the pub having a 'cheap and cheerful'.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,570 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's the thing about doing it for a business - even if you love it, it does become "work", simply because you have to do it when you don't feel like it.

One of the funniest conversations I ever had about that was in the early days of my SE, when I was still subcontracting from CrazyPeopleRUs. A really important book had just come out that was genuinely obligatory to read, I was talking to a client about it while CrazyPeopleRUs were on holiday. "Oh", says lovely client, "I suppose they've taken it on holiday with them to read on the beach". "Er, no", says I, confused ... it dawned on each of us what the other's assumption was; it was very British Understated Humour
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th Jun 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,053 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Huge congratulations on your new adventure MCI I will look forward to seeing your meal plans returning too!
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 20th Jun 17, 9:18 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I think the main problem at the moment is that I am working full time and baking on an evening (especially when it's nice outside!). I sometimes get this feeling when I have to bake for fundraising too.

When I can do it to my own schedule I am sure it will be better - I am fully aware that I won't always feel like it - but being on my own terms will be good.

I suppose I can never really get away from food! So it's a good job that I love it. A holiday for me is going to a restaurant - I can enjoy without having to create.

We will have to see how it goes.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 20th Jun 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Huge congratulations on your new adventure MCI I will look forward to seeing your meal plans returning too!
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thanks - Looking forward to being on here a little more again and sharing the meal plans and my baking ideas.

Slight alteration to tonight's tea - now going to be seafood in chilli and garlic marinade with roasted vegetable cous cous.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 22nd Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Five week month - so excavating the freezer for meals this week. Feel we need a treat too so going to get a Dine in for £10 from either Sparks or Mr T (Cheaper than going out!)

So, this is what I've come up with:

Thurs: Fish Cakes, Rice & Veg/Salad (always a lazy day so will pick up some Fish Cakes from Herr A)
    Fri: HM Chilli Jackets & Salad - will transform the 1/2 portion of Spag Bol I have into a Chilli
    Sat: Dine in for £10
    Sun: Eat at MILs
    Mon: Tarragon Chicken & Pasta
    Tues: Fish & Prawn Paella
    Wed: Posh Sausage & Mash

Going to work on a meal plan for the whole of July and see what I can save.

Not much news on any other front - working my way through my notice period - busy with charity stuff and plans for my business.

Looking forward to finishing so I have time to compete all the ideas I currently have running round my head.

Got a few issues at my Mum's at the moment, been trying to get the security up to scratch as it has been lacking for a long time and the shed was broken into a few weeks ago (although we don't know exactly when). Getting there and pleased that issues that have been on going since well before Dad passed away are now being sorted.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,570 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The situation at work sounds like its settled down, and yes, the meal plan sounds tres posh lovely!
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Slight alteration to dine in for £10 - ended up a cook at home takeaway Indian meal that cost the grand total of £6.76 with the extras I bought!

Busy weekend - Plant Stall and baking order (for a friend), plus chores and was just shattered on Sunday after not sleeping very well for a few nights - so went back to bed for a couple of hours while DH went out. Still loads achieved and a contribution to the business done!

- Charity meeting tonight - lots of things to sort out.
    - Jam making planned for tomorrow - cherries from MILs tree - not enough to make to sell but certainly a nice addition to our cupboard and for filling cakes etc...
    - Moving plants on Wednesday.
    - Digging mum's garden on Thursday (maybe???)

No time for getting my paperwork for my business sorted - so have sent an e-mail saying that I will get it all done by the end of July that gives me a good week once I finish work to gather together all the templates and research I've been doing and get it sorted once and for all (sick of it being bits and pieces - but no time to concentrate on it while I am still at work).

Hope everyone is well.

Look forward to catching up soon - promise.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    DH came back with some more cherries and I had enough to make 3 x 1lb Jars and 3 small Jars - 2 small to friends, 1 to Mum, 1 x 1lb for us and 2 for the business. Never going to make a fortune with cherry jam, but it's a nice special edition!

Done well with sticking to the meal plan although there have been spanners in the works where I would normally say 'sod it' and go out - I have also been good and not bought any lunches - which may be to my detriment today as I have no lunch with me! (I have some porridge in my drawer, so I will have that and have a snack when I get home before dinner).

Have had a lovely chat with my environmental officer the other day and she said not to worry about the paperwork - we will get it all sorted when I have finished. I am still reading up in bits and pieces and formulating what I've got to do; but I am relieved that there is no particular rush until I start properly!

Have booked a lunch appointment with a school friend of mine for a Monday! How strange is that going to be?? To be fair, it is while I would have been on holiday - but strange all the same.

Looking forward to making our OP in the next few days, depending on how it goes - these might become less frequent, but we are still determined to OP!! I really don't know till I start.

Got to do some charity work at lunchtime and make a start on my July meal plan - let's hope I can be inventive enough to keep us on the straight and narrow. (We are planning to go out once we have both been paid - which will be nice).

Brother's birthday on Saturday - keeping it low key with a small gift and a lunch out at a buffet restaurant - so keeping it cheap but still cheerful! He understands and is easily pleased and is looking forward to us spending a little time together.

Had totally forgotten that I have my car tax coming up and I am due a car service - this will make a hole in some of the money I have saved, but at least they will be done out the way for another year.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,570 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounding good, MCI!

That weight of cherries sounds *great*, actually - I pick cherries from my local trees, but literally just the ones I can stretch up and touch. Does your OH use a ladder? Seriously, cherry trees grow very big, I'm interested!
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Sounding good, MCI!

That weight of cherries sounds *great*, actually - I pick cherries from my local trees, but literally just the ones I can stretch up and touch. Does your OH use a ladder? Seriously, cherry trees grow very big, I'm interested!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hi KC

Yes, had 4lb of cherries (just enough for my recipe otherwise was going to mix with plums to make the weight up!).

And yes, DH does use a ladder - he also has the added bonus of being 6ft 4"

There were still more further up, but there is no chance of getting them - it's a very old tree. Plus, the birds will probably get there before we could. However, we are lucky that MIL has the tree in her garden.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 5th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Just made OP of £500 - will up date figures when it's gone through properly.

Don't know if this will be the last one for a while - need to monitor on a month by month basis as I get to grips with earning money a completely different way.

So much happening I couldn't detail it all here as I would be typing forever.

Tuna Steaks with roasted vegetable cous cous on the menu for tonight (we were naughty and had cheap and cheerful last night - so in way of justifying myself: DH paid and it was only £12!; was knackered after digging at Mum's and didn't get back till 9pm!)

Need to make a list and plan my next few weeks as there seems to be alot that needs to be done and I am in danger of forgetting things.

Going to Denmark at the end of the month with my oldest friend when I have finished at full time work (DH staying at home). I was encouraged to go as I will be working flat out till Christmas getting things up and running. I am looking forward to it - but feel guilty as joint savings are paying and DH isn't getting any benefit (apart from 6 days without me lol).

Hope all is well in MSE land.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 6th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Signature updated.

So pleased we are now under £95k and we should stay under this now. That means we have paid £11k off in 2 years which is great (especially as we only started over paying last year!!) I really hope that we can continue to do this at least at this pace. But I have decided I shouldn't worry too much if we have to 'nick' a bit of rent money to prop things up while I get going with my business.

Steak dinner tonight with herby potatoes and a nice salad. DH is really looking forward to this as he is shovelling soil today at work as part of a volunteer project they are doing (and he is Health & safety Officer for). Nice day for it - but made him take sun cream - glad he's being sensible.

Bit of shopping to do on the way home and I am going to plant some courgette seeds later (bit late I know, but we sold all the plants I grew and there were none left for us!!) At least they are quick to germinate. Also got a couple of things to do for our fundraisers that are coming up this weekend and next week - not sure I'll get them done tonight, but need to be done by Saturday.

Need to complete my meal plan too - going to be a bit different now I'm going away for the last week - just need to make sure that we are stocked up for DH.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• CathT
    • By CathT 6th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 36,466 Thanks
    CathT
    £11k in two years is fantastic. Hope your new full-time venture goes well
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,967
    part 2 - £46,351
    Total - £126,318
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    £11k in two years is fantastic. Hope your new full-time venture goes well
    Originally posted by CathT
    Thanks Cath - that does include the regular payments, but it does seem a pretty good start to me. Hope I can keep going.

I am excited and scared about my new venture - 2 weeks till I finish work

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    50p survey done yesterday! Hoping I can do a few more of these once I finish to save money for Christmas and Birthdays.

Lovely steak dinner last night - hit the spot after doing shopping and pottering around the garden for an hour.

Managed to get my seeds planted and my frame up for my gherkins (which have baby gherkins on them already).

Desperately need to plant my beetroot this weekend and look at getting some salad veg in too - hope that I can do this either Saturday or Monday.

Salmon & Pasta tonight - nice, quick and easy after yoga tonight.

Wishing everyone a fab weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,426 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    have started the process of saying goodbye. Phone calls and e-mails to UK suppliers today. I will really miss them. Couple of opportunities for customers though (one corporate too!) - which is all good. Everyone has been really kind - it's going to be a tough one going out the doors on the last day - but I think I am safe to keep in touch with the suppliers I got on well with.

One week to go till my leaving do and a week and a half till I leave - the time is going quite quickly.

I am booked into a couple of extra markets now - one of them I didn't think it would be so easy, but I think I am the first one to book!!! Also sent a speculative e-mail to a major food festival to see if I can get on their Sunday market - not holding out for this one but would be absolutely fantastic if I could! If you don't ask, you don't get.

19 years and 9 months left on the mortgage - letter in the post yesterday.

Evening of baking prepping tonight - going to weigh out all the dry ingredients I the process it much quicker. I am a baking evening down this week as we have a fundraiser on Thursday - so need to be as organised as possible!

Despite all this - trying to eat earlier tonight. Fish & Prawns with Pesto & Tomato Sauce with Rice.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 11th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 34,118 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Just catching up MCI and - wow - what a lot of good news
    Best of luck with your new venture!
    MWCx
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£42,000
    Current total overpayments: ~£116,250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

8,513Users online

Martin's Twitter