Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,532Posts
    • 20,355Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £94730.06 (06.07.2017)
    OP's to Date £4000

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 122
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Feb 17, 1:54 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Forgot to add:

Tuna Steaks and Roasted Vegetable Cous Cous planned for tonight's tea. Vegetables were roasted whilst cooking dinner yesterday so time and money saved there...

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 17, 2:13 PM
    • 27,576 Posts
    • 150,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I like it! I like roasted vegetables too, of course Have a good day out there.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Feb 17, 10:00 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Happy Valentine's Day!

We haven't done presents this year, just cards (including one from the cat lol). But we have got a lovely evening planned and at the end of the day - it's not about what gifts you give one another, it's spending time together and enjoying each other's company. DH is in charge of Pudding and Vino and I've got starter and main course sorted - few candles and some music and we are all set!

Compensation cheque received from R&angemaster - so will be off
    down the town at lunchtime to pay in (good excuse for a walk).

No charity meeting last night - was called off at the last minute (just as I had geared myself up for it) - but I was glad to stay at home as it was cold and windy out there.

Tea was really quick, easy and delicious last night! I also picked the chicken from Sunday and made some chicken stock from the bones - all that is now snoozing in the freezer to create two more meals.

So, tonight's tea will be: Smoked Salmon and Prawns with crusty bread for starters; followed by Ribeye Steak with Herby Potatoes and HM Mushroom Sauce - pudding is a surprise - but bound to be some sort of fruit tart as DH is not good with chocolate these days.

Looking forward to my evening in.

Hope everyone has a good day.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 14-02-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    OP's to Date £4000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Feb 17, 10:13 AM
    • 27,576 Posts
    • 150,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The cat sent a card
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    The cat sent a card
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    She certainly did

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 15th Feb 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Lovely evening...

Had a really hectic morning and just a quick update before I get back to it.

Bit of charity work achieved at lunchtime - just got another task to do tomorrow and then the wages at the start of next week - then i get onto getting some important work done - everything seems important and urgent and it's difficult to prioritise - but getting through it and going to get a couple of hours a week done during lunch times.

Bit of SE work to be done later as I have another venture out on Saturday and will be doing a bit tonight, tomorrow and Friday (unfortunately missing yoga - but saving £7). I think I have got the process down pretty well now - so I hope that we will be able to eat at a reasonable time tonight once I have finished.

Need to top up with petrol on the way home.

Compensation from R&angemaster has been sent to the CC. Must get the other payments done at the weekend.

Tonight's tea is an easy Pie, Mash, Veggies and Gravy - yum yum.

Happy Hump Day everyone.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 16th Feb 17, 1:34 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Still hectic at work.

SE stuff achieved in time frame (even though I started late) and we ate at a reasonable 9.20pm (which is reasonable for us...).

More SE stuff to do tonight after shopping and again hoping fr a reasonably timed tea.

Haven't reported on 50ps for a while - still going and we are reaping the benefits - will leave till the end of March and count again.

Been trying to do the Charity Pension Declaration online and it's frozen me out - it's a real pain as I wanted to get it sorted this week - will try again tomorrow lunch time.

Going to try and get both shops (ie Herr A and Mr T) done tonight so I can go straight home tomorrow and get my SE stuff done and allow us to eat at a reasonable time and so I can relax before my SE venture on Saturday.

Chicken & Prawn Stir Fry planned for tonight using bits and pieces from stores.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Feb 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    10pm dinner last night; starting late and forgetting one item didn't help (which I sent DH to the shops for) - but DH did help me prepare dinner while I was tidying up from SE.

Hoping to leave work a little early today and I haven't got to do anything on the way home, so should have a straight run today - dinner planned for about 9pm.

In the main, I am happy with how the prep has gone and that it hasn't got in the way of normal life too much - if this was my only job everything could be done in the day...

Couple more 50ps to go in the Penguin pot and need to sort financials in the next week - if I don't get it done this weekend then next weekend will do - I am not going to break my neck.

I am going to try to do the pension declaration again today - hopefully it will let me! and then that's another job out of the way.

HM Pizza on the menu tonight - flat breads bought last week while they were on offer and popped in the freezer ready - really looking forward to it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Feb 17, 10:10 AM
    • 27,576 Posts
    • 150,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow. I really hope the SE continues to go well, and expands (if you want it to, that is!) You work really hard - enjoy those pizzas tonight
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Feb 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow. I really hope the SE continues to go well, and expands (if you want it to, that is!) You work really hard - enjoy those pizzas tonight
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hi KC

I hope so too. I am restricted with how much I can do at the moment because of my full time employment - but hopefully if I continue to get myself established then things will change to expand it.

I can't wait to tell you all everything about it - but keeping my cards close to my chest at the moment.

Pizzas are so quick and easy and DH can also enjoy them as we can make them 'cheeseless' - they are delicious and we don't miss the cheese at all.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 20th Feb 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow - what a weekend!

Friday evening we ate at 10.15pm (whoops). Mainly due to a) me starting prep an hour late as I couldn't get out of work on time and b) having to do a remake of something I was selling (whoops).

Up with the lark and SE went fairly well - getting some repeat customers now and getting to know other stall holders - they are all so friendly. Came back with some freebies too!

Covered my costs and made a small profit - which I will be banking today - another excuse for a walk.

Saturday afternoon went a bit pear shaped - but managed to visit Mum and take her some goodies - going to visit during the week too.

Was so tired Saturday night that DH made omelette for tea and the lamb mince will be used tonight to make a ragu to go with pasta.

Pretty lazy Sunday, but managed to get a few chores done - but had a rest and spent some time with DH which was good!

Back to it this morning - left the washer on this morning, got tea to make when I get back then off to the postponed Charity meeting.

Looking forward to next weekend already when I will see a friend on Saturday lunchtime and we are going out with more friends on Saturday evening. No 'work' to be done...

Need to do a round up of financials this week and get some more paid off that CC - getting there now; but still a couple of months off.

Two weeks and I have a week off - I can't wait! (Not that I am counting at all).

Hope everyone has a good week.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 24th Feb 17, 1:53 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Phew! What a week. Been really busy and it will only get worse next week as I prepare for my week off - can't wait!

It's been a week of seeing people too.

Saw one of my best friends on Tuesday and told her about my plans - I wasn't sure how that would go - but it was fine - I don't know what I was worried about.

Wednesday, went to see Mum and she seems to have got herself into a bit of bother with the bank - ie...quite overdrawn. We went though her finances - which are very simple really and I've told her she's got to stop giving to charities and cut her weekly spending on 'non-essentials' - at least for the time being. I didn't go nuts at her - but she actually had no idea why the bank wouldn't let her have any money - even though it was in black and white on her statement! there is no accounting for people...it's not an impossible situation - she just needs to be alot more careful. I am going to try and see the bank on Monday and see if I can get the charges stopped while she sorts herself out.

Thursday went to see my old neighbour - we had a good chat about future plans - she may be moving, so I really won't see her often then - but this all hinges on her getting a job - which she is finding difficult at the moment.

We have been good this week food wise (DH actually put me back on the straight and narrow the other day! I wanted to go out and he said no as we are going out on Saturday - he helped me cook up a quick and easy tea and I was glad that he persuaded me to be good).

Need to do a freezer inventory this weekend (as didn't have time last weekend) and complete my March meal plan. We are out for meals 3 times in the month as we have our night away and both our birthdays - but other than that we must be good. got plenty of leftovers snoozing in the freezer, so it's time to get inventive.

Busy but enjoyable Saturday planned - apart from a few chores and two small but irritating charity tasks - it will be great to catch up with friends - you have no idea how much I'm looking forward to that.

Sunday I hope to plant a few seeds - bringing some staging into the conservatory to help with space. I have quite a few end of winter, but not quite spring flowers in the garden and my efforts towards the end of last year are now being rewarded.

Other than that I am going to relax and enjoy.

I hope that you all do too - have a good weekend all.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Feb 17, 3:01 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Mega quick drop by!

- Hectic week preparing for audit at work.
    - Eating to meal plan.
    - Money saved on meal out at the weekend (more for holiday spending money)
    - A kind stranger restored my faith in humanity - gave me a free drinks voucher for marks and sparks cafe when I was in the queue there today.

Will be updating properly soon - OP to come on the 5th March.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Excited about my week off - but I have quite alot to do before then.

I can't believe it is hump day already and I haven't done a proper update.

Weekend was busy, but good! Lots of fun had with friends. DH and I also did the freezer inventory together and it was done quite quickly. I really do need to get some chicken as we have very little white meat in the freezer; but apart from that I think alot of our meals are going to come from the leftovers and stocks in the freezer.

Bit of money shuffling done today and probably a bit more tomorrow. CC balance for the roof and kitchen is alot lower than I thought it was - we are hoping to have this clear by the end of March - fingers crossed.

Last night we had HM Chicken & Ham Pie with LO chicken frozen after last weeks mid week roast and ham from the freezer that was a freebie whilst doing SE!

Tonight we have Lamb Casserole - currently sitting in the SC ready to click on. Yellow Sticker Lamb Chunks and the dregs of the veg drawer are included - it will be lovely I am sure with some mash.

Hope everyone is well. Really hope that spring is on the way.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    £co payment requested.

Every little helps.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 3rd Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Cheque received in the post for discounts on gas and electric

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Loving my birthday week off work!

Had a lovely day yesterday seeing family and friends and as the sun was shining we went to out for a couple of hours and had lunch overlooking the river.

Away for a couple of days now - exploring more fairly local places (it's amazing what's on your doorstep). Groupon voucher at the ready for our overnight stay!

It's going to be a bad week regarding meals but we did resist a carvery dinner on Sunday and ate at home.

In money news:

- £Co of £6 is added to renovation pot
    - Toy fair eventually went quite well on Sunday (at one point it looked like we might make £2!) The proceeds will be going towards the credit card - fingers crossed we could have it paid off this month.
    - £500 OP yesterday

Will update signature soon.

Wishing everyone a lovely week.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 27,576 Posts
    • 150,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Have a lovely birthday week! Have a cake

Doling those out today

I agree about what's on your doorstep - there are some amazing things near to me. And even where my brother now lives - I mucked up on the Sun holidays thing, didn't apply in time, so I suggested a staycation for him, my sister and me - all sorts of things are around there, that we've never been to.

Have yourself a lovely week
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 9th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC. Had a lovely week so far - can't believe it's Friday already tomorrow!

We have been fairly good and mainly spent allocated money. Couple of slips but nothing major.

Out again tomorrow for the day. Bit of a bus man's holiday for SE (research). But lunch is involved and I love going to markets anyway.

Couple of charity bits to do tomorrow evening then off to yoga.

Hasn't been the most MSE week but I feel better for the time off. Dreading going back to work next week - but trying not to think about it too much.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £4000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Back to work!

I really haven't missed the place. Had been feeling conflicted about my future, but I am newly resolved as to what I need to do.

Pleased with how my week off went - I could have done a load more chores, but I spent the time instead with DH and I think we are both feeling better for it. Back to it now.

- SE prep this week Wed-Fri evenings.
    - Need to do a job for the charity tomorrow evening.
    - DH is finishing a couple of jobs round Mum's tonight.
    - Mum's birthday on Friday.

Hope everyone is well.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter