Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,363Posts
    • 18,958Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 114
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,117 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sympathies with the charity meeting - I eventually had to withdraw from stuff like that, it can really take over, can't it.

HM crumble sounds wonderful - I haven't taken advantage of my rhubarb this year in the way that I'd like. More to come

Have a good one yourself today
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Just looked at our mortgage balance and it's below £100k - been so busy haven't checked it at all!!!

Balance as of today is £99895.82 - interest obviously to go on, but hey it's ticked under! Really, really happy!

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,117 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC!

Well so much for going down the town and buying my looonnnggg list of birthday cards - got caught up catching up with Ed's diary and I didn't have my flat shoes with me anyway - really didn't want sore feet.

DH has just text me to say that the remaining mosaic tiles are in his possession!! AbFab!

Our mission tonight is to:

a) get curtain pole for my Mum
    b) get curtains for our patio doors
    c) get colour match paint and primer for our new under stairs cupboard

Missions accepted...fingers crossed.

Tea tonight is going to be pasta bake and garlic bread - feel like stocking up on some good old fashioned carbs!

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Pearla*Merle
    • By Pearla*Merle 11th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 8,776 Thanks
    Pearla*Merle
    Ooh congrats!
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £2950/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Congratulations
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Ooh congrats!
    Originally posted by Pearla*Merle
    I am sure that it will be back to just over £100k just before the next payment goes out - but it means what it means....

MCI x
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    So, no bay window curtain poles in the shop for Mum. Will have to look online. £60

Looked at curtains and we think we have chosen some - just got to make sure that I get the width right - might order online so we get cashback - and then i just need to get a couple of cushions to match

Went to match the paint with the kitchen cupboards and we have come back with a couple of swatches to look at in the daylight. Unfortunately they don't do test pots in satinwood. Got primer though and gloss for the kitchen.

The missions are yet to be completed, but are well on their way.

Tiles arrived yesterday and kitchen fitter will hopefully be coming this afternoon - fingers crossed.

Mission birthday cards this lunchtime.

More sorting of boxes of paperwork planned for tonight.

Roast Chicken Dinner for tea - fancy garlic chicken and Yorkshire puddings.

Happy Hump Day everyone!

MCI

ETA - had an offer on the fire surround from a friend of mine - going to take it - so it will be gone as of Monday!
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 12-10-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Why is it that not matter how early you get up, you still end up rushing about like a maniac to be on time?

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    The tiling on the archway is completed and it looks great!

Grouting and worktop in the cupboard under the stairs to go! (for the kitchen fitter) and then we have to get on with decorating. - the end is in sight!

One mosaic tile to go back £6.99 worth! One floor tile to go back (if that hasn't expired) £5.99 worth!

Another box of charity paperwork gone through last night while DH popped out. Two more boxes to go plus filing.

10 birthday cards bought yesterday - forgot I had a membership to the card shop - got 2 free, 6 half price - only had to pay for 2 full price - £13 total - bargain! Have more cards to get plus special Christmas Cards, so will be invoking that one again to get the discounts.

YS posh sausages purchased last night when I popped in to Mr T on the way home for some bread.

Massage and facial booked for tonight after I've done the shopping - can't wait - going to be so relaxing!.

Really didn't want to tackle any more Charity paperwork this evening after going to the salon - so we are going to have a bit of fun doing the cardboard box cull!!! (what an exciting life we are leading).

DH had a lovely phone call at work yesterday from a chap who was retiring (he didn't know he was going) - and he said what a lovely, helpful and reliable person to work with DH was - he got quite emotional - how nice of him to do that - gave DH a boost!

Planned meal for tonight is Marinated Turkey Steaks with Roast Vegetable Cous Cous (really enjoying having at least one oven to play with now).

Friday tomorrow - wishing my life away, but as it stands at work - I would much rather be at home.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,117 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's a lot of money to get back for the tiles, excellent news and I'm so glad they look so good!

Massages sound wonderful - and I quite understand seeming to wish your life away. You have a Cunning Plan, remember - you'll get there. In the meantime, how lovely for your DH to get that phone call.
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Every little helps on the refund basis - £13 we wouldn't have!

Had a lovely lunch hour (well 40 mins) - had a walk down the town, a coffee and a toasted sandwich. An indulgence. But time well spent by myself away from the office to chill out. Nice 20 minute walk in all too.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Kitchen Fitter has finished

We spent the weekend cleaning and sealing the tiles (that stuff really stinks). Will be able to get my stuff on the work surfaces tonight!

DH has got Friday off to do the decorating and my lovely MIL is going to help. I've got doors and gloss to paint this week.

Bit more done to the house in general - a load more cardboard boxes to go - but we have filled our recycling bin - time to ask our neighbours if we can borrow theirs!

Not feeling too great at the moment - not sleeping great. But keeping on at it. Might have a bit of rest tonight though after we have delivered the fire surround.

Sweet chilli Salmon with Stir Fry Veg and Noodles planned for tonight's tea.

Hope everyone is well and has a good week.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    List Update 17/10/2016

October:

Spending Money:
    - Birthday Cards: We have loads of birthdays between now and the end of the year, so need to make a list and go and buy them all in one go. List done - cards to be purchased tomorrow - all 18 of them !!!! 10 cards purchased; rest to be got this week
    - Birthday Presents: Same as above, but fewer to buy - probably not in one go - but need to make a list and get buying. Been looking, but not bought anything yet same
    - Purchase new work clothes and one or two nice tops for occasions. Not anything to do with work - but ordered a pair of Jeans in the N3xt sale same
    - Look into some self employed stuff. On-going same
    - Buy one or two blow up beds. (will become clear further down the list) Will be checking the bed we have found this weekend coming - then I will see what I will need to purchase not done yet - hopefully this week some time

Making Money:
    -e-bay: Been putting it off long enough - need to target a few items to put on before the end of the year. same
    -FB Selling: Fire surround needs to go (it's monsterous!) - need to get pics of DH and stick it on FB locally - need the money and need it out of the way. Fire Surround has been put on the local FB Selling sites - fingers crossed - still on-going with a couple of enquires 10/10 should be sold tonight 17/10
    - Look into some self employed stuff same

Getting the house sorted (have friends coming to stay first weekend in November so need to get loads done).

- Finish sorting kitchen stuff (if it's not finished by the time I start this list - hopefully this part will all be done) everything is back in the cupboards - just need the kitchen finishing so I can put things on the surfaces In progress ready to happen tonight!
    - Keep chipping away at decluttering and organising the study on the evenings and weekends - gradual process; can't do too much in one go. Had a huge tidy up over the weekend - DH built the new unit, but I think it has just highlighted how much more carp I have to get rid of - looking much better now though sorted a couple more boxes and DH has put a shelf up for me
    - Tidy Spare Room, check blow up bed next weekend job started, but nowhere near finished
    - Sort out attic room: there are loads of empty boxes, some packing materials and some odd boxes of bits and bobs from the move (to be sorted when all the kitchen stuff is back where it belongs) going to have a cardboard box cull this week part done

Targeted Jobs:
    - Garden: Get bed planted up/lawns done 2nd October - weather dependant Weather was lovely - main planting done, just heathers and bulbs to go in same
    - Charity paperwork sort out and filing 8th/9th October Part done, got to carry on in the evenings 2 boxes to go
    - Sort clothes; re-arrange winter/summer stuff; get rid of things to charity shop 15th/16th October done - 2 bags for the charity shop
    - Deep clean house in preparation for friends coming to stay. 22nd/23rd October washed 4 throws at the weekend as a start

Not quite as much achieved as I wanted to as the pile of stuff to sort seems to be getting bigger - not smaller! However, we are clear on what we are going to get sorted before my friends come to stay - and it won't be all of it! Really not possible. Will be stacking pretty boxes nicely!

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,117 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm glad you're *almost* having a night off this week - as I know from personal experience, flogging yourself into the gutter is a bad move Eating well is really important too - I don't make "dishes" as such, I just throw all the ingredients together, but the nutrition and the taste is all there. I notice I'm eating loads of protein with all the work I'm doing - do you notice changes like that?

Pretty stacks of boxes are excellent and truly, make sure you're not exhausted when your friends get there *because* you've been clearing up for them. I did that one time when my mum was supposed to come stay, and it was sooo disappointing.

Still - your list update is great! I love a good list
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 17th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    You say you haven't done a lot but the amount of stuff done on that list is impressive- well done!
    Emergency savings- £701.54 /£1000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90%
    2016 OP target- £14.58/ £150 -
    Mortgage end date- Nov '41

NST: 42
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 18th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I'm glad you're *almost* having a night off this week - as I know from personal experience, flogging yourself into the gutter is a bad move Eating well is really important too - I don't make "dishes" as such, I just throw all the ingredients together, but the nutrition and the taste is all there. I notice I'm eating loads of protein with all the work I'm doing - do you notice changes like that?

Pretty stacks of boxes are excellent and truly, make sure you're not exhausted when your friends get there *because* you've been clearing up for them. I did that one time when my mum was supposed to come stay, and it was sooo disappointing.

Still - your list update is great! I love a good list
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    What will get done, will get done - we are experts at making it look good - even if there is still loads to do

Trying to eat properly - but missed my breakfast 2 days running as got to work a minute or 2 late. I don't like to take the P if I've come in late and then take time to have breakfast...

DH treated me to a nice steak out last night - he said I looked in no fit state for cooking - so we went out (had 25% off voucher) - meal and drinks came to just £16!

But I know what you mean about the protein fix - been really hungry lately!

You say you haven't done a lot but the amount of stuff done on that list is impressive- well done!
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Hi KK - the trouble is there is so much more to do and time is ticking. I do have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew (hence pretty box stacking! ) but determined to get the main jobs done.

Thanks for your support each - means alot.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 18th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Didn't get rid of the fire surround last night as my friend's pay hadn't cleared the bank - to be fair, we were both knackered, so later in the week will be fine.

Went out for food Salmon meal moved to tonight.

Few more things put back in the kitchen - fully functional now.

Tonight's target is the pare room and attic combined as there could well be a cross over while sorting these two out.

Need to pop to the post office and see if I can collect my parcel (new pan support for the cooker).

On the money front - need to get refunds sorted this week and claims in for both our dentist visits; accounts to be sorted later in the week.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 18th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Replacement cooker door skin and hinge kit will not arrive with the service company until 18 Nov!!! (the item is out of stock at the manufacturer)

This is no good for when my friends come to stay. However, I have to look on the bright side that I am off work the week following the delivery and can have the engineer come at any time to fix the door - therefore it SHOULD be ready for the fundraiser we have on the 27th (not holding my breath though!).

A complaint is most definitely going into R&ngemaster - this is ridiculous for the amount of money the cooker cost...

The cooker itself is very good - it's just the fixtures and fittings are a little sub-standard. Because I am in the engineering industry and know how and where these parts are made it makes me extra frustrated!!!

It's not the end of the world, but it would have helped to have the oven operational for when I've got to cook for 10 people for 3 days!!!

There, rant over.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Tropically
    • By Tropically 18th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Tropically
    Oh no! Can you still use the hob? I am redoing my kitchen and bought the same brand as you since it was recommended by Which? Ovens are particularly useful when having many guests over so I hope you can make do with it out of service. Best of luck with the fundraiser!
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 18th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Oh no! Can you still use the hob? I am redoing my kitchen and bought the same brand as you since it was recommended by Which? Ovens are particularly useful when having many guests over so I hope you can make do with it out of service. Best of luck with the fundraiser!
    Originally posted by Tropically

Thanks for stopping by! It's just the tall oven that is out of action. I still have the standard one (thank heavens!) - so I will be alright, but working at diminished capacity.

The cooker itself is really good - can't complain about the features or the way it cooks - just the fact that certain parts of it are not up to the standard that they need to be to operate in a safe manner.

I am sure yours will be fine - mine has just been a catalogue of things since I bought it - but once it's all sorted I am sure it will be a great asset to the kitchen.

Thanks again.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter