Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,366Posts
    • 18,965Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 113
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    TO DO!!!

Breaking this list down into chunks; got a separate list for this week - all the rest starts on Sunday 02 October!

October:

Spending Money:
    - Birthday Cards: We have loads of birthdays between now and the end of the year, so need to make a list and go and buy them all in one go.
    - Birthday Presents: Same as above, but fewer to buy - probably not in one go - but need to make a list and get buying.
    - Purchase new work clothes and one or two nice tops for occasions.
    - Look into some self employed stuff.
    - Buy one or two blow up beds. (will become clear further down the list)

Making Money:
    -e-bay: Been putting it off long enough - need to target a few items to put on before the end of the year.
    -FB Selling: Fire surround needs to go (it's monsterous!) - need to get pics of DH and stick it on FB locally - need the money and need it out of the way.
    - Look into some self employed stuff

Getting the house sorted (have friends coming to stay first weekend in November so need to get loads done).

- Finish sorting kitchen stuff (if it's not finished by the time I start this list - hopefully this part will all be done)
    - Keep chipping away at decluttering and organising the study on the evenings and weekends - gradual process; can't do too much in one go.
    - Tidy Spare Room, check blow up bed
    - Sort out attic room: there are loads of empty boxes, some packing materials and some odd boxes of bits and bobs from the move (to be sorted when all the kitchen stuff is back where it belongs)

Targeted Jobs:
    - Garden: Get bed planted up/lawns done 2nd October - weather dependant
    - Charity paperwork sort out and filing 8th/9th October
    - Sort clothes; re-arrange winter/summer stuff; get rid of things to charity shop 15th/16th October
    - Deep clean house in preparation for friends coming to stay. 22nd/23rd October

Other things for Oct or November (not sure yet).
    - Get my desk back from charity office for study
    - Get book case for study
    - Radiator replacements
    - Roof
    - Tax Return and apply for DH self assessment log in

November:
    - Xmas Present lists and Purchases
    - Self-employed stuff
    - Keep house up to speed

Mum's: (Oct/Nov/Dec):
    - New curtain pole for main living room.
    - Clear out, declutter and sort small spare room
    - Purchase shelves for small spare room to make into a library
    - Tidy study
    - New cooker and kitchen deep clean
    - Buy part for and install storage heater in Mum's living room
    - Put up curtain pole and curtain for over the door to keep drafts out (bought last year - never put up).
    - Get and fill a skip!

Charity Work Oct/Nov:
    - Next funding bid to be ready before breaking up for Christmas
    - Accounts 2015/16

Phew - guess I'm going to be busy then...

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 26-09-2016 at 2:27 PM.
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    This week's list!!!

Mainly focusing on charity stuff..

- Minutes, ID Cards, Charity meeting
    - Leaflet delivering, Wages
    - Finish workplace pension stuff, print out bid and complete budget
    - Baking for fundraiser
    - Saturday Fundraiser

In the meantime:

- Pay in money from Toy Fair and 50ps
    - Organise kitchen stuff

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Did a Toy Fair yesterday and did quite well (alot better than expected £250 to pay in). Need to go and pay the money in today (raining so may get wet!)

Also counted my 50ps and we have £60 worth! Paying £50 in.

All good towards paying off kitchen expenses off the credit card!

Electrician was at our house when we got back from the toy fair, he's wired in the cooker (it has power, but I haven't tested it yet) and the cooker hood works.

Outside light needs to be wired up and under cupboard lights - but if that doesn't get done until he's back of holiday I am not going to complain - I have my cooker and that's the important bit. DH is going to get the gas fitter to hook the gas up for me and we will be ready to rock and roll.

Now we have power in the kitchen, DH will put the washer and dishwasher in tonight and hook up the ducting kit for the cooker hood.

Just a few tiles, doors on the under stairs cupboard, pelmets and cornices to go on and then just the grouting of all those tiles.

The end is in sight - I think everyone will sigh with relief when it's done.

One thing I forgot to put on the 'To Do List' was decorating the kitchen - this will need to be done in October before my friends come to stay.

Decluttered some Uni assignments/notes into the recycling - kept the marketing stuff - might come in handy.

Charity meeting tonight so simple meal of Turkey Stroganoff and Jacket Potatoes for tonight's tea.

Hope everyone has a good week; I know mine is going to be busy.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 26-09-2016 at 2:20 PM.
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th Sep 16, 2:31 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    This week's list!!!

- Minutes, ID Cards, Charity meeting
    - Leaflet delivering, Wages
    - Finish workplace pension stuff, print out bid and complete budget
    - Baking for fundraiser
    - Saturday Fundraiser

In the meantime:

- Pay in money from Toy Fair and 50ps DONE
    - Organise kitchen stuff

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    First thing off the list!!! Paid in at lunch time. Found my umbrella so didn't get too wet (needed the walk anyway).

Sure I'll find some more to stick on there though.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 27th Sep 16, 8:51 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 32,667 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    That is some list Well done on crossing the first thing off

MWCx
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: <£54,000
    Current total overpayments: £104,225
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Sep 16, 2:26 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    This week's list!!!

- Minutes, ID Cards, Charity meeting - Minutes and Meeting DONE
    - Leaflet delivering, Wages - half of the leaflets done, wages DONE
    - Finish workplace pension stuff, print out bid and complete budget - workplace pension stuff nearly done
    - Baking for fundraiser
    - Saturday Fundraiser

In the meantime:

- Organise kitchen stuff
    NEW Empty study as we have a leak and DH needs to take the floor up to investigate

Thanks MWC - need to get a grip on things or it's going to overtake me and I start to have panic attacks.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 28th Sep 16, 2:29 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Should have an operational cooker tonight

So celebrating with a roast dinner.

Kitchen still not completed but can move stuff in and out to get cooking!!!

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Pearla*Merle
    • By Pearla*Merle 28th Sep 16, 9:10 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 8,792 Thanks
    Pearla*Merle
    Yay! Great to hear - enjoy your roast!

And loving the lists! You've inspired me to go and plot activities for the rest of the year now too
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £2950/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Sep 16, 11:02 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow! I love a good list, and that one's pretty big That's great that you're keeping it up to date, when you actually manage that, they're **so** useful. But not otherwise. Ask me how I know ...
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Wow! I love a good list, and that one's pretty big That's great that you're keeping it up to date, when you actually manage that, they're **so** useful. But not otherwise. Ask me how I know ...
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hi KC (waves)

How do you know???

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Had a bit of nightmare with the cooker as one of the oven doors fell off. (At least there are two!) Wasn't our fault - so they are coming to fix it (hopefully tomorrow). But this didn't help me in my baking marathon for our fundraiser, so was up till 1.30am on Sat morning!!!

Absolutely shattered after the weekend. Lots achieved though.

£300 paid off the credit card.

Pay day has arrived and gone.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Last Weeks List!!!

- Minutes, ID Cards, Charity meeting - Minutes and Meeting DONE
    - Leaflet delivering, Wages - all of the leaflets done, wages DONE
    - Finish workplace pension stuff, print out bid and complete budget - all DONE in time for the staging date
    - Baking for fundraiser - DONE despite only having one oven!
    - Saturday Fundraiser -DONE not as successful as previous, the weather was really bad!

In the meantime:

- Organise kitchen stuff - IN PROGRESS

NEW Empty study as we have a leak and DH needs to take the floor up to investigate - the leak was found and we didn't have to empty the study (leak is now fixed too).
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    October:
    Spending Money:
    - Birthday Cards: We have loads of birthdays between now and the end of the year, so need to make a list and go and buy them all in one go.
    - Birthday Presents: Same as above, but fewer to buy - probably not in one go - but need to make a list and get buying.
    - Purchase new work clothes and one or two nice tops for occasions.
    - Look into some self employed stuff.
    - Buy one or two blow up beds. (will become clear further down the list)

Making Money:
    -e-bay: Been putting it off long enough - need to target a few items to put on before the end of the year.
    -FB Selling: Fire surround needs to go (it's monsterous!) - need to get pics of DH and stick it on FB locally - need the money and need it out of the way. Fire Surround has been put on the local FB Selling sites - fingers crossed

Getting the house sorted (have friends coming to stay first weekend in November so need to get loads done).

- Finish sorting kitchen stuff (if it's not finished by the time I start this list - hopefully this part will all be done) In progress
    - Keep chipping away at decluttering and organising the study on the evenings and weekends - gradual process; can't do too much in one go.
    - Tidy Spare Room, check blow up bed
    - Sort out attic room: there are loads of empty boxes, some packing materials and some odd boxes of bits and bobs from the move (to be sorted when all the kitchen stuff is back where it belongs)

Targeted Jobs:
    - Garden: Get bed planted up/lawns done 2nd October - weather dependant Weather was lovely - main planting done, just heathers and bulbs to go in
    - Charity paperwork sort out and filing 8th/9th October Not looking forward to this one
    - Sort clothes; re-arrange winter/summer stuff; get rid of things to charity shop 15th/16th October

Kitchen is still an on-going proposition, but we are almost there. the fitter has now got another kitchen to do aswell - but really hope he can finish the bits and pieces this week (probably 1.5 days work). In the meantime, we are still putting stuff in cupboards and we will start the decorating if we can.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hi KC (waves)

How do you know???

MCI
    Because I've tried that half a dozen times, and never manage to keep it up to date

*You* obviously do though. Go Team MCI

Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 5th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Happy Hump Day everyone!

Couple more boxes emptied and put away last night.

Working my way through washing the glasses in the new shiny dishwasher! they do come out everso nice!

Will start to sort my baking stuff tonight - this could take some time - but going to have a couple of good hours at it.

Bought a few bits from the £shop for the kitchen (baskets and things) and a plastic drawer unit from W!lko - which was a bargain at £10 - ideal for all my cake boxes, bags, cake cases and buffet stuff. This will live in the study. DH is also going to modify one of my existing drawer organisers to fit in the new drawer unit - we are getting there be it slowly.

In other news, had a couple of enquiries for Fire Surround - we will see how that develops - basically the first one to put the money in my hand can have it!

The engineer was coming to fix the cooker today, but they were going to come between 12 and 2 - no good when there is no one at home! So I have managed to re-book it for Saturday which is fantastic! I don't need the second oven at this precise moment; so a few more days will be ok.

In other kitchen news - the extra mosaic tiles have been ordered and will arrive Friday, the additional grout has been purchased too. We have two boxes of the 'brick' tiles to go back - must do this at the weekend and the returns period is up on the 12th October. This pays for the extra tiles we need. Hoping to entice the kitchen fitter back on Saturday with a bacon sandwich! lol - we also have a floor tile that we bought as a sample to return. Need to drag in all the bits of money we can.

Will update my list when there is something to tick off!

Easy tea of sausage and mash tonight - nice and comforting as the weather is dropping a little cooler.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,138 Thanks
    Karmacat
    This is great, you're at the snagging stage! It sounds lovely. And I love Wilko for those sorts of extras, they're surprisingly good quality sometimes (only sometimes!). My breaddbin from there, which I use to store flour and sugar, is astonishingly sturdy.
    Retired August 2016

Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 6th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi KC - I like w!lkos for stuff they really do have some bargains sometimes.

Kitchen stuff is un-packed as much as it can be. Had a lovely time sorting my baking stuff out last night.

Back to the study tonight...

DH is going to build my bespoke shelf this weekend to store all my extra baking and catering stuff - looking forward to that. the study looks like a bomb has hit it at the moment - but after the weekend it should look much better - not finished - but much better.

Everything has gone quiet on the fire surround front - but one of my friends from school is interested, but it away on business until the end of the month. So, if all fails he can have it!

Made a list of birthdays - there are over 20!! between now and the end of the year - really going to have to have a chat with some people about just cards next year - it's a tough one, but just added up how my I've got to spend and it's stupid money.

Work is blah - but not going to dwell on it!

Need to go and get all the shopping tonight from Mr T and Herr A as I'm taking the cat to the vet tomorrow for her boosters and need to get home quickly.

Chicken Stir Fry planned for tea.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Did my double shopping last night and although I had a list I still managed to forget 3 items.

No work done to the study as I was really tired and DH suggested I have an hour catching up with Strictly before doing tea - so I did just that.

So looking forward to yoga tonight,. though I think I may be going to a friends' house after as it's his birthday - so won't eat till later.

So, this afternoon I intend to leave work a little early - nip into the shops quickly and pick up my 3 items and then go home and wrestle the cat into the basket to take her to the vets!!!

My weekend will be consisting of sorting paperwork and gettting things done in the study.

Hoping that everyone had a great weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Happy Monday everyone...

October:
    Spending Money:
    - Birthday Cards: We have loads of birthdays between now and the end of the year, so need to make a list and go and buy them all in one go. List done - cards to be purchased tomorrow - all 18 of them !!!!
    - Birthday Presents: Same as above, but fewer to buy - probably not in one go - but need to make a list and get buying. Been looking, but not bought anything yet
    - Purchase new work clothes and one or two nice tops for occasions. Not anything to do with work - but ordered a pair of Jeans in the N3xt sale
    - Look into some self employed stuff. On-going
    - Buy one or two blow up beds. (will become clear further down the list) Will be checking the bed we have found this weekend coming - then I will see what I will need to purchase

Making Money:
    -FB Selling: Fire surround needs to go (it's monsterous!) - need to get pics of DH and stick it on FB locally - need the money and need it out of the way. Fire Surround has been put on the local FB Selling sites - fingers crossed - still on-going with a couple of enquires 10/10

- Finish sorting kitchen stuff (if it's not finished by the time I start this list - hopefully this part will all be done) everything is back in the cupboards - just need the kitchen finishing so I can put things on the surfaces In progress
    - Keep chipping away at decluttering and organising the study on the evenings and weekends - gradual process; can't do too much in one go. Had a huge tidy up over the weekend - DH built the new unit, but I think it has just highlighted how much more carp I have to get rid of - looking much better now though
    - Tidy Spare Room, check blow up bed next weekend job
    - Sort out attic room: there are loads of empty boxes, some packing materials and some odd boxes of bits and bobs from the move (to be sorted when all the kitchen stuff is back where it belongs) going to have a cardboard box cull this week

Targeted Jobs:
    - Garden: Get bed planted up/lawns done 2nd October - weather dependant Weather was lovely - main planting done, just heathers and bulbs to go in
    - Charity paperwork sort out and filing 8th/9th October Part done, got to carry on in the evenings

Kitchen is still an on-going proposition, but we are almost there. the fitter has now got another kitchen to do aswell - but really hope he can finish the bits and pieces this week (probably 1.5 days work). In the meantime, we are still putting stuff in cupboards and we will start the decorating if we can.

MCI
    Lots done the weekend including returning tiles, going to the tip, clearing the shed out and re-organising.

Kitchen is still on-going, doors are on the under stairs cupboard now - they look great - can't wait to get them painted.

Mosaic tiles didn't arrive as planned on Friday - hopefully tomorrow - I am really hopeful for a finish by the end of the week - even if it means cleaning and sealing the tiles myself!

They didn't come to fix my cooker door on Saturday as the part was inspected at the warehouse and it was damaged - (not their fault) - so re-booked for this Saturday.

It does seem to be one thing after another and we really have so much to do. Need to work really hard this week getting things sorted as I know DH is getting stressed out - I need to remain focused when this happens.

Timing is not good for a charity meeting tonight - so nothing will be done later - but plan to get stuck in tomorrow.

Just an aside note - I am loving my dishwasher - so pleased to be able to keep everything tidy and coming back to clean dishes! Really glad to have the washer plumbed back in too. Operation washing all the throws starts next weekend.

Food tonight will be fish and rice and I will be using up one of the many part used bottles of marinades I have in my cupboard! Lime, Chilli and Coriander - will be lovely.

Wishing everyone a lovely week.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 10-10-2016 at 1:35 PM.
    OP's to Date £2000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Minutes and ID Badges completed before meeting last night.

Charity Meeting was like pulling teeth!

Had a nice meal last night and had HM Rhubarb Crumble and Custard for pudding.

Couldn't sleep and eventually got up at 6am this morning and sorted another box of paperwork - at least I made constructive use of my time - pleased really as none done last night and not sure how much I'll get done tonight as we need to run round a few shops getting things later.

Have a good day all.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,403Posts Today

5,738Users online

Martin's Twitter