Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,239Posts
    • 18,260Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £100,144.64
    OP's to Date £1500

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £31.30
Page 112
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 25th Aug 16, 1:40 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    'Green Wood' has arrived!!

I get excited about the silliest things

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Aug 16, 5:41 PM
    • 26,302 Posts
    • 137,697 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Between that and paella and a good talk, it's a great day
    Retired 25 August 2016

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 31st Aug 16, 2:23 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Work is manic.

Back soon with an update.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 2nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hope to update tomorrow. Been a bad week (work-wise).

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    • 26,302 Posts
    • 137,697 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to hear that - I'll watch for updates.
    Retired 25 August 2016

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 3rd Sep 16, 1:12 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    We have spent £1146.26 on the kitchen in just over a week (£1000 for the kitchen fitter). We are still looking to be approximately £1100 over what we have saved - will take about 3-4 months to pay off the 0% credit card.

Work is very stressful at the moment. Increased pressure due to a big account being lost and (in my eyes) un-realistic targets - I am just getting through the days at the moment. DH and I have talked about me leaving and I need some back up money to enable me to do this - so once the big jobs are done this year, we are going to buckle down and make some money. I am hoping to be able to stick it till next summer - this is not a decision I am taking lightly - been disgruntled for a while now. Some things have changed with ownership and management structure which have changed some relationships at work (whether they have meant to or not) - it's not the same and my feeling is that it's only going to get worse as the pressure builds in an impossible situation.

I need the money at the moment, so there won't be any rash decisions made - but the clock is ticking and I hope that my new idea for making money takes off and could be an alternative source of income for me.

In the meantime, we will continue to get jobs done and continue overpaying the rent money from the old house. Feeling a little better now it's the weekend.

On the kitchen front - it is still on-going - but is definitely getting there - most of the major problems are sorted now (hopefully). Only sticking point we may have is the electrician's father is ill and is in and out of hospital...shouldn't be a major problem really as DH is competent and the electrician will come test everything when he can.

Happy weekend everyone.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Sep 16, 2:01 PM
    • 26,302 Posts
    • 137,697 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds good to me - you're working on things, the atmosphere in your job isn't so good any more, and you've got a long term plan to move. Not nice to be in a bad atmosphere that long, though, I quite understand that. You know how long I planned the retirement!

Hope this weekend is really nice, to make up for tough week.
    Retired 25 August 2016

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 5th Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Had some nice moments over the weekend - thanks KC.

£500 OP made today with our regular mortgage payment - you can almost touch the £100k! Will update figures once our statement is updated in a couple of days.

Yet another sales meeting today (no wonder I can't get anything done - always in meetings!) and I have a charity meeting later.

All the cupboards are now up in the kitchen and alot of tiling has been done. A little worktop to go on today and then the prep for the floor tiling. The end is in sight I hope (think our kitchen fitter feels the same!).

DH treated me to a takeaway at the weekend 1) to cheer me up and 2) as he accidentally threw mine all over the floor earlier in the week!

Cottage Pie on the menu tonight - from stock in the freezer - quick and easy!

Hope everyone is well - hope to get caught up with diaries during the week.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 06-09-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 6th Sep 16, 2:26 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    The last of the worktop is in and the floor has started to be levelled - 1 pack down @ £48 at least another 2 required - didn't think it would be that expensive!

Sorry to moan about costs - I am sure it will be lovely when it's all done - I just have to grin and take the extra costs on the chin.

Not been feeling too well on and off - but not too bad at the moment.

Fish & Rice for tea tonight.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 26,302 Posts
    • 137,697 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The floor must be really uneven, I guess - better to get it levelled, but a pain to simply pay for that!
    Retired 25 August 2016

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Sep 16, 1:59 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    It is KC! The whole house is on the skew! But when it comes to tiling it's best to do a good job or it will need to be done again at a later stage. I am not going to worry about the costs any more - I just want it done.

Should see more progress today.

In charity matters...I have got the keys back from our worker who walked out before retirement; I have done the contract for our new guy that we are taking on (the other is still on his trial); and I have entered a local competition to win £1000 donation - fingers crossed.

Need to get petrol tonight - then I'm having a night off from everything. start again tomorrow with a few jobs I need to do for myself.

Happy hump day everyone.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• Pearla*Merle
    • By Pearla*Merle 7th Sep 16, 9:02 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 8,557 Thanks
    Pearla*Merle
    I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you xx
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £1,001/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 8th Sep 16, 12:52 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you xx
    Originally posted by Pearla*Merle
    Thanks PM

All help gratefully accepted xx

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 8th Sep 16, 1:06 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Work is crazy - but I have no enthusiasm...will have lunch and start again.

We got the refund on the bent tap!!! At least that pays for the floor levelling compound. Need to get a ducting kit at lunchtime - not that anything will be done with it yet - just gets me out the office for 5 mins and at least we have got it then.

Few more tiles down when I got home last night.

Off to have my first massage in 2 months tonight - really looking forward to it - I really need it.

Shopping at Herr A this evening - shopping on a week by week basis at the moment. Mr T have sent me some vouchers, but I don't think I'll be using many of them - not spending £40 a week on shopping at the moment.

When everything has settled down I am going to look at our bills. I must admit I've been a bit lax this year. I think we are going to cancel the insurance on the dishwasher once it's been fitted, and we are going to cancel it on the freezer we bought last year too - this is because in the grand scheme of things they are really low value items ie £200 or less - so if it does go wrong permanently then it's not that expensive to replace - I am willing to take the risk. Going to keep it going on the washer dryer though at least for this year. Need to look at getting the gas and electric meters swapped to credit account - this is on the list for next week! It will save us quite a bit. The other thing I have got to look into is a water meter - we seem to be on the only ones in the street who haven't got one - this could save us quite alot - but it depends what it involves. I need to save all the money I can in the coming months.

I am quite pleased about how much we have saved in our gas/elec underspend 'account' and we have been saving extra for Christmas too.

Oh dear...did I just say the 'C' word - wash my mouth out with soap!!!

Thinking about the weekend already and I must get the bid sent off and my driving licence details sent off to the insurance company. Need to chase our new driver for his new driving licence.

Hope everyone is ok.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 9th Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Friday at last!

I have half a floor! Kitchen fitter has has allsorts of problems getting the floor level on the lower level of the kitchen (don't know if I've said before that there is a step up). Things are progressing and I hope to have a kitchen proper by the end of next week.

One of Mum's ceilings has come down - we think it might be the water tank boiling over that's caused it. My brother was very calm about it and didn't tell me for hours! If it's a major repair job then we might have to claim off the insurance - but trying not to panic before we have seen what's what. I just know that whatever happens it's going to cause me some work!

Trying to keep positive about stuff. People have been out of the office at work so at least I haven't had a bad atmosphere to work in - still thinking seriously about my future though.

Nearly the weekend and I think it's going to be another busy one - seriously need to get a bit more sorting done at home and then there will of course be sorting Mum's out.

Few things to do tomorrow:
    - Home and kitchen accounts
    - register cooker
    - pay bills (if they have come in)
    - check what address is on our life insurance (not sure it's been swapped over even though it was taken out specifically for our new house???!!!)
    - print out bid ready for sending
    - FB marketing for our charity page and our next couple of events coming up

Fish & Rice for tea as long as going to see the ceiling at mum's doesn't take too long...think I need to keep my fingers crossed there.

Have a great weekend all.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Well the weekend didn't go exactly to plan, but we have a cooker in place (if not connected up) and a splashback and cooker hood fixed in place. PLUS the floor if finally finished.

Went to Mum's and the ceiling wasn't quite as bad as we thought it was going to be. It was dry and therefore historical - pretty sure the wallpaper had been keeping the plaster up for a good while. It's been made safe and my brother and I spent a couple of hours cleaning up and decluttering a bit. Probably the push we needed... The fix won't be done till we come to decorate the room which won't be for a good while yet - as long as no more comes down it should be fine (it's not a room that is used).

Managed to declutter a fair few boxes at home on Saturday morning too - but didn't get finances or other paperwork done.

Registered the cooker and the cooker hood yesterday and had a bit of a tidy up (which is quite difficult at the moment with kitchen stuff everywhere!) We then treated ourselves by going to another food festival - had a lovely time and didn't spend too much - but did pick up a couple of treats...

Oh, I did remember to pay the credit card bills...

Kitchen is starting to look the part now and I am very hopeful that I will be able to get my stuff put back in this weekend - even if we can't cook in there. I think it's high time that we reclaimed our house.

The fish meal planned for Friday has been postponed till today and I will be using up our HG tomatoes in the sauce and any other bits and pieces I didn't use in the egg fried rice at the weekend.

Wishing everyone a fabulous week.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Sep 16, 9:41 AM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    DH and I have been talking about my 'study' room - at the moment I am still in the process of decluttering and sorting out paperwork etc... and hope to get it all down to a manageable level soon.

DH has come up with the idea of cutting down the one shelf unit (it's !kea so easy to modify) and have it as a slot in unit for my boxes of catering/baking stuff that won't be going back in the kitchen (not enough room for it all) - it's really exciting - he's going to modify it and I will paint it to pretty it up a bit. I really want this room to be practical from an office/storage point of view, but also to be a room where I can relax and read or tat about with my keepsakes etc... So it needs to be both practical and comfortable - excited that this should be achieved for a minimum amount of money.

I am hoping that the time scale on this will be the next few weeks, so I really need to pull my finger out and get a bit more sorting done during the week rather than just at the weekend.

I am so glad that things are progressing to make our house a home - it's been over a year since we moved and although we are having the kitchen done, we haven't really done a lot else.

Wish I could transfer a bit of this motivation to work - hey ho!

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 21st Sep 16, 12:26 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Internet difficulties and manic work schedule has kept me from the forums.

I am still not very happy at work...things have transpired over the last couple of weeks to make it worse.

The kitchen is still an on-going project. Tiling is taking forever (especially as our kitchen fitter is off doing other jobs in-between) and the electrician is still AWOL (but in his defence - his Dad has been in hospital). Although progress has been slow - it is getting there and at the weekend I started to put some things back in my cupboards. I desperately need an operational kitchen by Wednesday next week as I have a fundraiser which I need to do baking for.

Kitchen fitter is back today and the electrician is hopefully coming tonight - so got to keep positive that by this time next week we will be operational.

We have a toy fair this weekend and fortunately DH has already sorted out alot of what needs to go. My brother has found my old Dr&gon 32 in the loft and I'm going to put that on too.

Mum's curtain rail has come down completely and so I will need to buy her a new pole and DH will fix this one to the ceiling to ensure good fixings - another thing for us to do.

Decluttering is continuing and I threw away so many (100s) unidentifyable photographs that belonged to our family friend - all of plants - I have kept a few to make a collage to go on the wall of my study room; but the majority have had sadly had to go in the recycling bin. I have salvaged some good photo albums though of places he went in the 70s - interesting photos which are labelled and I will be keeping.

More stuff sorted at Mum's too - more to do this weekend.

So it's busy busy, but yesterday I had a fall at work where I fell down the internal steps in our office (just the bottom one of a set of 3); but my shoes stayed where they were and I ended up on the floor. I ache today and I have jarred my bad hip and my shoulder - it's very annoying and I really don't know what happened - hope it doesn't stop me doing stuff at the weekend - I have loads of leaflets to deliver - I suppose I better just rest until then.

Hope to catch up with some of the diaries in due course - hope everyone is well.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 22nd Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Forgot to say that I had a £25 win on the premium bonds - wish it had been bigger - but can't complain!

I wish the kitchen was going better - the electrician came last night and all was well with that. But we have noticed that the cupboards are a bit low to fit my mixer and food processor underneath (this is because the cupboards are lower in the upper part of the kitchen due to a fan being put in above the one set and the kitchen fitter has done them all the same - as you would expect) - the cupboards I want to put the mixer etc.. are in the lower part of the kitchen - so we might have to have them taken off and taken up a bit - he's coming round tonight to discuss. Just when you think you are getting somewhere!!!

Some of the grouting has been done though and it is looking lovely - can't wait for the final result - I think I will be very happy!

So, I need to prepare a plan for another weeks meals based on hob and microwave - getting a bit bored now and nearly out of HM ready meals too - there is no real joy in cooking in our makeshift kitchen anymore - want my new one now (sulks)

Must get the figures done this weekend and shuffle a bit of money about and pay some bills.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th Sep 16, 9:08 AM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 18,260 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Working on a HUGE list!!!

Back soon with update.

MCI
    OP's to Date £1500

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,724Posts Today

6,392Users online

Martin's Twitter