What do people budget for food for 2 ppl pcm?

As the title says - just wondering how much people generally budget per calandar month to feed 2 people? I think my wife and I spend too much probably. Generally about £200 to £250. We're ok financially at the moment but have a little one on the way in July and I think we're going to have to start budgeting better!

Comments

• cgk1
    cgk1 Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    £50 a week sounds fine to me, it's hard to say without knowing what it's going on - there is money saving and there is penny-pinching. The percentage of our income that we spend on food has decreased over the last fifty years and people think they are being sensible buying processed crap and saving a quid.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2011 at 1:53PM
    We spend about £40 per week on food/wine(1 bottle)/cleaning products.

We cook from scratch and never buy pre prepared meals. We buy what is in season e.g. swedes/leeks/carrots etc. We never buy fizzy drinks i.e. coke etc.

We have plenty of time to shop around as we are retired and so we visit several supermarkets and stock up on their special offers. We also use Lidl and Farmfoods.

We use coupons i.e. today we used 2 coupons to get 2 free bottles of orange juice and also 2 free cannisters of Anchor squirty cream. The products vary sometimes it will be Flash and other times Fairy Liquid. I also use Sainsburys coupons in Tesco.

There are always lots of coupons for baby items, just look on the vouchers forum.

I never buy face creams and makeup, as there is always a 'freebie' to be had and I also 'test' face creams/body creams/deodourants for different companies.

I also do surveys and get paid £3 per time in luncheon vouchers. These can be used for cash in all supermarkets.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dangalf wrote: »
    As the title says - just wondering how much people generally budget per calandar month to feed 2 people? I think my wife and I spend too much probably. Generally about £200 to £250. We're ok financially at the moment but have a little one on the way in July and I think we're going to have to start budgeting better!

I think thats really reasonable, I spend on average £90 a week for me and my husband at the moment.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • We spend about £100 a week inc pack lunches for work, wine & beer. We do a bulk buy for cleaning stuff at costco
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

Myself and OH budget at £65.00 per week, and we generally manage this.

This is for food, wine, cleaning - very little, not bottle after bottle of stuff and toiletries - again minimum necessary not loads of different bottles.

OH gets a free dinner at work, so he only takes a sandwich, cherry tomatoes and fruit/cake for pack-up :T :money:
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well usually me and OH spend between £40-£50 a week on shopping but this does include lunches too as OH comes home for lunch to eat and includes 1 bottle of wine a week
    Often varies depending on the offers, half price items such as cheese we'll buy 2 one week and then none the next and long life products that will keep then we'll bulk buy them when they are on offer so makes it a little cheaper for us in the long run....
    Have to say though Ive have found 'value' ranges can be a false economy, Tesco value loo roll (12) for example we'll get through 3 times quicker than the slightly more expensive 9 roll one
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• dave4545454
    dave4545454 Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    it works out here £3 per person a week so for two people for a month.....£24

maybe could budget more to get it a bit lower
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • For me its about £25 to £30 per week. Im a very savvy shopper. That includes, toiletries, one bottle of wine and a few extra luxuries like chocolate. I never buy ready made food unless its a cheap whoopsy! We both eat well and i take full advantage of offers from all supermarkets. That includes breakfast, lunches and tea and drinks and snacks.
  • cherrykerry
    cherrykerry Posts: 168 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    For me and hubby we budget £55 a week. This does include loo roll, cleaners etc but not alcohol as we don't drink. Unfortunatly I frequently go over this as we use lots of fresh veg etc cooking meals from scratch because I can't have wheat in my diet and gluten free products are expensive :(
  • mymerrywidow
    mymerrywidow Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    it works out here £3 per person a week so for two people for a month.....£24

maybe could budget more to get it a bit lower

how do you manage to spend less tha 50p per day, per person on 3 square meals per day?
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure