Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > My HP PSC Printer won't accept new Tesco Print Ca... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
My HP PSC Printer won't accept new Tesco Print Cartridge - Anything I can do?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,820
# 1
mleonard79
Old 18-11-2006, 8:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default My HP PSC Printer won't accept new Tesco Print Cartridge - Anything I can do?

Hi everyone,

I've posted this on the consumables board but I thought I might get more help here. Basically I ran out of black ink yesterday and as I have stuff I need to print quickly I just bought a black tesco own-brand cartridge at the store as I didn't have time to wait on an ordered one. I have just fitted it and my printer keeps saying "Print Cartridge In Right Stall Not Supported." My printer is a HP PSC 2410 Photosmart all-in-one and the cartridge is Tesco's version of the Number 56 cartridge. I've replaced my colour one with the tesco one with no problems in the past so I'm totally baffled by this. Anyone got any ideas on what to do? There seems to be a Tesco Ink Helpline but it's only open 9-5 Mon-Fri Anybody else had this trouble? Any ideas gratefully received?

Regards

Michelle
# 2
A Nice Englishman
Old 18-11-2006, 8:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Take it back to Tesco, tell them it doesn't work and swap it for another one. If that doesn't work either get your money back and buy a genuine HP one
You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Nice Englishman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Darksun
Old 18-11-2006, 8:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think printer manufacturers have begun putting small chips in their cartridges so that only their brand of ink will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darksun For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mleonard79
Old 18-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksun
I think printer manufacturers have begun putting small chips in their cartridges so that only their brand of ink will work.
Oh that's pretty annoying if true as the genuine HP ones cost a packet and I've been doing quite well using ones from other brands I just hoped there might be something I could do to program the printer to accept it but if not I'll just go back to tesco's and hope they take it back (as obviously I've opened it and put it in my printer but if I can't use it they surely must take it back?!) I'm really annoyed as the only reason I bought it was because I have urgent stuff to print out and now I can't print it Thanks for the info.

Regards

Michelle
# 5
mleonard79
Old 18-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi ts_aly2000,

It says on the cartridge that it is a remanufactured cartridge for HP printers but I'm guessing the ones you mean must be even more official - I just can't believe Tescos are selling cartridges that the printers won't accept!!

Where is it you get these proper remanufactured ones? How much do they cost in comparison? Thanks for the help.

Regards

Michelle

Last edited by mleonard79; 18-11-2006 at 10:45 PM.
# 6
loveandlight
Old 18-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

[QUOTEOriginally posted by mleonard79
]My printer is a HP PSC 2410 Photosmart all-in-one [/QUOTE]

I've got one of these. It's fab.

Quote:
Originally posted by ts_aly2000
The best cartridges to get are the proper remanufactured HP ones.
I agree. I had the same problem when I tried other cartridges. Except I refill both the colour and black cartridges myself now when the ink runs out.
The Following User Says Thank You to loveandlight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
mleonard79
Old 18-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ah so you don't get them online then - I was hoping there was somewhere online I could order them from! It's just so tough to pick who to go with if I'm going to get "not supported" messages whenever I put a new cartridge in I know, I would've expected the Tesco ones to be reliable and compatible too but looks like that's not the case. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Michelle
# 8
mleonard79
Old 18-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi loveandlight,

Thanks - I'm a bit wary of refilling cartridges myself - I'd probably make a right mess of that! I just want to get a reasonably priced cartridge that works! I think the last place I ordered from was Inkraider - I may just have to go back there but I found the black ink cartridge ran out really quickly from there and also it took over a week to arrive (I really needed it quickly this time hence why I went with Tescos.) The printer did accept their cartridge though so....

Regards

Michelle
# 9
TheFlyingGerbil
Old 18-11-2006, 11:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

I had this problem with my Epson printer, I put in a compatible colour cartridge which worked fine. Later I put in a black one which didnt work and then the colour one stopped working to! Epson has the most advanced/evil cartridge detection. All I did was reinstall it a few times, and they both work fine now. So I'd just try and reinstall them again.

Joe
# 10
Torby
Old 19-11-2006, 9:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

one cart failure?.....not great in the overall scheme of things using hp copies....its possible that someone has a compatible that will fail....just maybe your turn....take it back and get a replacement...
I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons

# 11
Astaroth
Old 19-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to Astaroth

That is why I went for the continuous ink system in the end... so much cheaper than having to buy cartridges and as you never replace the "cartridge" then once it works it should work forever more.... 3 years so far without a problem
All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
Closed Thread