Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > How much would my son get for a paper round he's ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much would my son get for a paper round he's starting
Closed Thread
Views: 18,763
# 1
tpotx
Old 26-02-2011, 4:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How much would my son get for a paper round he's starting

My 13 year old has just agreed to start a once a week delivery for newsquest in the west midlands (213 papers). However he forgot to ask how much he will get and I don't really want to phone and ask . does anyone know rounghly what they pay? Thanks
# 2
uolypool
Old 26-02-2011, 5:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi it will depend on how many houses are in the list for the paper round, my son use to do one on a thursday for a weekly local paper it had 118 properties that he had to deliver to and he got paid 6.31 a week plus extra for any leaflets .They use to pay him weekly then it changed to 4 weekly pay.Dont take these amounts as gospel but as a rough guide to how much he might get.Companies obviously pay different amounts depending on who they are.Personally I thought it was a bit of a rip off but then again it use to take him 45 mins max so when it is put like that its not to bad.HTH
Paul Walker , in my dreams
The Following User Says Thank You to uolypool For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
freddie
Old 26-02-2011, 5:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

aprox 20 years ago I delivered a free paper. It was 2p a paper. Think I had about 250 papers.
Was extra money at the time, moved on to a part time job and got 1.99 an hour, thought I was really rich (actually sure I had more disposable income then than I have now!)
The Following User Says Thank You to freddie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Britwife
Old 26-02-2011, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My son got about 20 a week for delivering 20 papers a day but Sats he had about 40 papers. He questioned his pay as he got quite a few more deliveries without getting a pay rise. Usually, you do have to have a certain number added before they will raise your pay. They refused but he still delivered them as he enjoyed it. Once he started college, he had to turn his notice in and they offered him a pay rise. nice
The Following User Says Thank You to Britwife For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
flea72
Old 26-02-2011, 7:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotx View Post
My 13 year old has just agreed to start a once a week delivery for newsquest in the west midlands (213 papers). However he forgot to ask how much he will get and I don't really want to phone and ask . does anyone know rounghly what they pay? Thanks
you dont usually get paid much for delivering the papers. where you make the money is from the advertising flyers that you have to put in the papers

if just papers, with no flyers, then expect between 5-10/wk - having to add half a dozen flyers to each paper, usually doubles your income

i would expect 200 papers to take 4-5hrs to deliver, depending on how densely populated your area is

F
The Following User Says Thank You to flea72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
krycek985
Old 26-02-2011, 7:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I delivered free papers for a while and the money was rubbish.

My paper round had about 200 odd houses about 2 miles from where I lived. Having to walk back and forth to fill you bag in the rain isnt to much fun and then you get less than 20 for the pleasure.

Loads of younger people also just get the papers and throw then in a skip but be warned people do go round and check on the odd occasion that the papers are being delivered.
The Following User Says Thank You to krycek985 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
scooby088
Old 26-02-2011, 7:13 PM

I think the going rate is between 15 and 20 per week.
The Following User Says Thank You to scooby088 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Amanda65
Old 27-02-2011, 9:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My daughter delivered a local freesheet and the pay was dreadful - I think she got about 11 per fortnight for 130 papers each week

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotx View Post
However he forgot to ask how much he will get and I don't really want to phone and ask .
Why wouldn't you want to ask? If you don't know you won't know if he is being paid the right money. Your son is perfectly entitled to ring and ask the rate of pay and also how they pay him (cash / into bank and weekly or monthly). I would call them
# 9
onlyroz
Old 27-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda65 View Post
I would call them
I would make him call them.
The Following User Says Thank You to onlyroz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Amanda65
Old 27-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyroz View Post
I would make him call them.
I agree - I had said that her son was entitled to call and ask rates etc. so was intimating that it was him that rings, just obviously not very clearly
# 11
Sues48
Old 27-02-2011, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My son delivered the free paper in our area for a few months and the basic pay was 6.50 for over 200 papers plus extra for the leaflets, most weeks he earned between 8.00 and 9.00. TBH it was slave labour really as it used to take hours putting the leaflets into the papers plus about 2 1/2hrs to actually deliver them.
# 12
faithcecilia
Old 27-02-2011, 1:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had a paper round in my teens. I used to get 11 a week for a 6 day week - 1.50 a day in the week and 3.50 on Sundays. The shop wouldn't let you work 7 days regularly so you had a choice of Sat and Sun, and they had a few who just worked weekends to fill the gaps and were 'on call' if someone called in sick. My round had about 25ish papers a day, few more on a Sunday, plus magazines. Most rounds had more papers, but mine involved a long walk down to a farm so took longer to do. From what I gather, I was extremely well paid - this was about 18yrs ago.
# 13
Slinky
Old 27-02-2011, 2:03 PM

I run a local magazine and had an advert in the mag for people to deliver for me. Somebody who arranged deliveries for the local freesheet called me interested in delivering so I asked her how much the local rag pays. It was 2.5p per copy for a thin paper on Tuesday and 4.5p for the thicker paper on Thursday which has a property supplement. They pay extra for leaflets. This was the rate a couple of years ago.
Closed Thread