IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Carpet fitting costs
Views: 8,587
# 1
Sammy-Jo
Old 25-02-2011, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Carpet fitting costs

We are looking at replacing 2 flights of stairs, small bedroom ensuite and landing. We had an estimator round and he worked it out at 45 sq metres. My husband had pre-worked it out and it wasn't far from his estimate. We are shocked by the fitting charge. It appears that we are being charged a 'sur charge' for fitting the second flight of stairs. Now, this doesnt sound right to me. Has anyone got any idea how much this should cost? I will try and get a indpendent quote if I dont hear back from anyone. They reckon 250 pounds fitting. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
WestonDave
Old 25-02-2011, 7:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I should get another quote - we had our stairs and landing done 19m2 of carpet - fitting charge 71.25. So on that basis yours is at least 100 over the top! (Although clearly we'd expect a competant fitter to do it, ours was not a simple job - our stairs have a change of direction, and the carpet was one with bold stripes in it that had to be laid absolutely square otherwise it would have been obvious as it went down the stairs. The finish is absolutely spot on so we're not talking cheap bodge fit of a plain carpet here!)

This was from a local independant shop not a big chain.
# 3
ormus
Old 25-02-2011, 7:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

my hall, stairs and landing, cost 50 quid to fit.
Get some gorm.
# 4
27col
Old 25-02-2011, 8:01 PM

There's plenty of competition out there in the carpet supply and fitting world. Just get some more quotes/estimates.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
# 5
phill99
Old 25-02-2011, 8:08 PM

Stairs are the most complicated of all carpets to do. however, there is probably a mornings work to do all that for a fitter and a lad, so 250 is OTT. Remember that the shop will be marking up the fitting costs and making a profit from it.
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 6
themull1
Old 25-02-2011, 8:16 PM

Our stairs and top landing were 70.00 to fit.
# 7
McKneff
Old 25-02-2011, 8:17 PM

My OH and i went looking for some flooring, (wood or laminate) we found some we liked and asked for a fitting estimate.

We were absolutely horrified to be told it would be 10 a square metre to fit it. It seemed way over the top'
Bearing in mind how may square yards a fitter could do in an hour he'd be on a pretty good hourly rate.
And also bearing in mind we are laying over 30m2 it was more than we wanted to pay.

Strangely enough, the fitters only charge 2 a square metre for laying carpet.

We're going to do it ourselves, we did do a bedroom a while ago and made not too bad a job of it.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
# 8
Welsh Totster
Old 25-02-2011, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Id say its OTT, Ive just been quoted 75 for a full flight of stairs with a turn, the landing and a second flight of stairs with 2 turns. This was with a local independant carpet shop.
# 9
broonbear
Old 25-02-2011, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

3 sq m is about the normal charge for fitting, but a stair isn't ' normal ' some can charge 4 sq m for a stair , 250 is a bit steep though maybe somewhere closer to 165-185 .
# 10
Sammy-Jo
Old 26-02-2011, 2:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default A bit of feedback...

Thanks for all your help. I have contacted a local fitter who quoted me 160 pounds (sorry pound sign not working!). Then surprise, surprise had a phonecall from the original carpet shop who offered to fit for 159 instead of the original 209. As I had made it clear to the estimator that I was less than impressed with the 'surcharge' Still going to look around before making a final decision.
# 11
ormus
Old 26-02-2011, 2:10 PM

quick tip.
goto any carpet shop at 8am. you will see the fitters loading up their vans. for the days work.
ask them to come and see you & to quote you for the job.
nearly all of them are self employed.
Get some gorm.
# 12
giddygaz
Old 18-11-2012, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKneff View Post
My OH and i went looking for some flooring, (wood or laminate) we found some we liked and asked for a fitting estimate.

We were absolutely horrified to be told it would be 10 a square metre to fit it. It seemed way over the top'
Bearing in mind how may square yards a fitter could do in an hour he'd be on a pretty good hourly rate.
And also bearing in mind we are laying over 30m2 it was more than we wanted to pay.

Strangely enough, the fitters only charge 2 a square metre for laying carpet.

We're going to do it ourselves, we did do a bedroom a while ago and made not too bad a job of it.
Yes about right and I'd even charge 12. I have 3000 of wood tools inc blades that need changing, a van to run and its a skilled job that can be hard work. 30 square metres can take 2 days, then theres all your furniture, chasing uou for money and doing my own paperwork plus getting rid of the offcuts and other rubbish all for a 25k average salary. what do you do for your money?
# 13
pka
Old 18-11-2012, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We've just had approx 45m2 including stairs and landing fitted for 143. This was just under 3 a meter with a 20 surcharge for the stairs
# 14
shegirl
Old 18-11-2012, 10:57 AM

I was quoted 78 to do my sons bedroom,30sqm.That was by carpetright though and they tend to be dearer.

I normally do them myself but because it's a stripey carpet I did consider getting it done,just incase I got it a little wonky which would be bloomin obvious!!!

Awaiting a quote for the stairs and landing atm
If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
# 15
Daz2009
Old 18-11-2012, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormus View Post
quick tip.
goto any carpet shop at 8am. you will see the fitters loading up their vans. for the days work.
ask them to come and see you & to quote you for the job.
nearly all of them are self employed.
That's a good tip
I had a local shop supply and fit my stair carpet and lounge and they did a really good job at a good price,a few years later I had the same shop back to do a bedroom,this time they sent a different fitter and he was a total bodger,badly cut,scratched the newly painted skirting etc so it pays to find a good fitter and use him rather than let the shop do it all.
More recently I had my lounge done again this time a different shop and the fitter they sent was a sub-contractor and he did a perfect job,unfortunately I forgot ask for his phone number
# 16
Gastines3
Old 18-11-2012, 12:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default What are you doing to reduce the cost?

With 35 yrs+ in the trade and yes it is a trade,it never ceases to amaze me the quibles on carpet fitting costs.Bear in mind that the fitter gets paid,usually,per sq.mtr,not for waiting for you to finish your cup of tea before he can move all the furniture that you advised the estimator,would be cleared.It can take just as long to fit a 5 sq.mtr. en-suite,as a 25 sq.mtr. lounge.
If you want to reduce the cost,empty the room,make sure the floorboards are nailed or screwed down properly,avoiding water pipes and cables.etc.etc.Normally fitters don't mind doing the whole job,including easing doors but it is nice to get paid for your skill.Also bear in mind,it takes just as much effort to fit cheap as expensive carpet.
As I used to do the estimates and all the fitting work for a large company,I found that what the client tells the estimator what he/she will do and what they actually do,are often two different things.
Even had one who phoned the store complaining that the joins where coming apart and the carpet hadn't been laid very well,Very surprised customer when I turned up,again,and remembered I'd fitted the carpet in a different house.Only one of many stunts.
# 17
Leif
Old 18-11-2012, 8:10 PM

Look around at local shops and take into account the total price. My fitting was 'free' i.e. included in the carpet price.I was expected to have the house completely clear. I looked at Carpet Right and a big furniture shop in Ash Vale, and they were all more expensive per square meter of carpet, and charged fitting on top. And the local shop used their own fitters, which I think is better.
# 18
Oli.s
Old 18-11-2012, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We've just had two flights of stairs, two turns I each flight and two landings done, 45m2, carpet and underlay. Took the fitter and his lad from 10 until 4 to do the underlay and carpet, but it was a thin striped carpet and he had to match it through the turns.

They then did the lounge which is pretty much just 20m2 and a square room in half an hour.

So I suppose the price for stairs depends on numerous factors. Flights, turns, carpet pattern etc.

Don't know how much because it was an insurance job.
# 19
RaiderHammer
Old 19-11-2012, 12:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Bought 27 square metres for a lounge yesterday fitting underlay / carpet is 55 all in.