Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Debit card fraud... bad day for me. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Debit card fraud... bad day for me.
Views: 43,119
# 1
jonathantvtv
Old 16-11-2006, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Debit card fraud... bad day for me.

Hello all,

I checked my Lloyds online account last night and found a transaction for 340 that I didn't recognise. I contacted the fraud line to contest it and asked if I should cancel my card with card services. 'It's probably best to do so, to be on the safe side' was the reply. So through to card services and I cancel my card only to be told that I have 4 more fraudulant transactions pending taking the total I have been ripped off by UP to 640! Do any of you guys have experience of getting money back from Lloyds from a fraudulent DEBIT card transaction or can I kiss it goodbye?

Last edited by jonathantvtv; 16-11-2006 at 4:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
daymo
Old 16-11-2006, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I imagine they will refund you with no problems,once the police and their fraud department get to work that is.We got hit with fraud on Our Woolwich account,it was to the tune of£250 and all of it on my OH`s debit card No. We soon got our money back.The police traced the fraud to an i.p in California! he/she bought a subscription to an online gaming service -amongst other things-so probably a spotty he!,most banks will refund fraudulant use, so as annoying as it is I wouldn`t get too stressed....
The Following User Says Thank You to daymo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
richt71
Old 17-11-2006, 1:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathantvtv
Hello all,

I checked my Lloyds online account last night and found a transaction for 340 that I didn't recognise. I contacted the fraud line to contest it and asked if I should cancel my card with card services. 'It's probably best to do so, to be on the safe side' was the reply. So through to card services and I cancel my card only to be told that I have 4 more fraudulant transactions pending taking the total I have been ripped off by UP to 640! Do any of you guys have experience of getting money back from Lloyds from a fraudulent DEBIT card transaction or can I kiss it goodbye?
I had a lloyds debit card pinched from my pocket in a nightclub. I realised when I got home and called to stop it! Some cheeky so and so had used it to buy champanye in the nightclub and had run up a bill of over 300. Lloyds credited me and I gave a statement about what had happened. I would think as you reported it swiftly they'll do the same for you.
# 4
Willsnarf1983
Old 18-11-2006, 8:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71
I had a lloyds debit card pinched from my pocket in a nightclub. I realised when I got home and called to stop it! Some cheeky so and so had used it to buy champanye in the nightclub and had run up a bill of over 300. Lloyds credited me and I gave a statement about what had happened. I would think as you reported it swiftly they'll do the same for you.

You didn't just have a really really good time then

Will
SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willsnarf1983 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
soolin
Old 19-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Virtually all misuse of card claims suceed as it is still possible to clone cards and even generate valid numbers online. The only claims that the banks do resist are where money has been taken from cashpoints or in shops face to face using a PIN, as it means the owner of the card must have compromised, or colluded to lose his card *and* his pin.

Soo
# 6
Heinz
Old 20-11-2006, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin
The only claims that the banks do resist are where money has been taken from cashpoints or in shops face to face using a PIN, as it means the owner of the card must have compromised, or colluded to lose his card *and* his pin.

Soo
But the bank has to PROVE that, not merely suspect it.

Innocent until proven guilty still apllies (except with speed camera fines sent to the registered keeper, that is).
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Froglet
Old 20-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Recently a friend of mine had his Abbey debit card cloned and investigations are ongoing as to exactly where it happened but even his pin number was used.It is most likely it was one of those machines where they put a false front on and read the pin.He is getting his money refunded,but what a worry for people,you are not safe anywhere.I get a lot of things over the internet and i think as long as you are careful it is probably safer these days!!
# 8
James&Shell
Old 21-11-2006, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Shell got her card copied at sainsburys cash machine a few months ago when the statement came we noticed as we never take cash out there we just check the balance.

The coop checked in to it and refunded the £20
WILL GET THERE SOON

WATCH OUT FOR THE PIG FLYING PAST!!

# 9
tonyivb
Old 21-11-2006, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It was about two years ago, but on two occasions I had a batch of fraudulent transactions on my credit card... one was a shopping spree in Oxford Street and the other was 5 different flights on Easyjet & Ryanair.

On both occasions the frauds occurred right after I had made an Amazon Marketplace purchase.

I called the CC company as soon as I noticed, and although the transactions were on my statement I only had to pay for my own transactions and I was no worse off apart from the hassle of getting a new card.
Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyivb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Lyndsay_21
Old 21-11-2006, 4:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i recently had my debit card cloned/frauded, i recently placed an order with amazon wonder if thats where they got the number form!! makes u wonder
# 11
Claude
Old 21-11-2006, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just received a phone call from my credit card company to ask me about transactions on my account. I hadn't used this card since August until Saturday 18th when I signed up for a free trial with Lovefilm! So I immediately cancelled the card and the free trial. First problem I've ever had with using a card online! Too much of a coincidence I think!

And thankfully the credit card company were on the ball. I probably wouldn't have checked my account until my next payment was due!
"There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone. Louis Camuti
# 12
kolakube_
Old 30-11-2006, 1:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

I am sorry this happened to you jonathan (and others) , it's just happened to me too, also with a Lloyds debit card. When I checked my online statement on Tuesday morning, 550 had been paid to Comet, nothing to do with me or other half. I phoned the bank straight away to stop the card. Comet were not very helpful, they were able to get details of the transaction from my address and said it was a phone order on Sunday, which was due for delivery that same day - but they could not stop it. They refused to give me any further details due to data protection ( ! ) and said an invoice "might" arrive at my house with details. They would not even tell me WHAT had been bought and where it had been delivered. I have never bought anything from Comet so they don't have my details other than for this fraudulent transaction.

Lloyds have said I should get the money back within 5 days, I'm hoping I will not also have to fight to get back charges for going over my overdraft limit.
# 13
mexico2
Old 13-12-2006, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Our experience is that we have had "chargebacks" when a stolen card has been used to make a purchase from us. Personally we have had attempted transactions made by someone who had our card details and we were refunded.I'm not sure if the protection you gat with debit card is the same as credit card though.Speak to the card issuer about it and cancel the card , they will send you a new one.

www.northumbrianumbers.com
# 14
topbargainhunter
Old 20-12-2006, 3:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakube_
I am sorry this happened to you jonathan (and others) , it's just happened to me too, also with a Lloyds debit card. When I checked my online statement on Tuesday morning, 550 had been paid to Comet, nothing to do with me or other half. I phoned the bank straight away to stop the card. Comet were not very helpful, they were able to get details of the transaction from my address and said it was a phone order on Sunday, which was due for delivery that same day - but they could not stop it. They refused to give me any further details due to data protection ( ! ) and said an invoice "might" arrive at my house with details. They would not even tell me WHAT had been bought and where it had been delivered. I have never bought anything from Comet so they don't have my details other than for this fraudulent transaction.

Lloyds have said I should get the money back within 5 days, I'm hoping I will not also have to fight to get back charges for going over my overdraft limit.
this has happened to several people I know of, and I always find it strange that the banks always allow the fraudster to go over your overdraft limit (sometimes by thousands), rather than reject the transaction. Is there any point in having a limit?? Perhaps if they didn't do this so readily, the fraudsters would get away with less, or is that too much like common sense for the banks?
# 15
James_N
Old 31-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbargainhunter
this has happened to several people I know of, and I always find it strange that the banks always allow the fraudster to go over your overdraft limit (sometimes by thousands), rather than reject the transaction. Is there any point in having a limit?? Perhaps if they didn't do this so readily, the fraudsters would get away with less, or is that too much like common sense for the banks?
I am with Morgan Stanley and live in Wales. Whilst out shopping (well - I did not shop - my son and I went to the castle instead) with my soon to be married daughter and family I was phoned on my mobile by the CC company. Did I know my card was being used in Scotland for high-value purchases (you bet! 2000+ on rings, 1000+ on dresses, 100 deposit on luxury chocolate treats deposit ..).
I had to pay them a 27 overlimit payment immediately by debit card, and THEN they upped my limit to accommodate the extra purchases yet to be made.
That's when it helps to have a squeaky clean long term relationship - they can see the unusual transactions and take action AND help you if you are a genuine good customer.
# 16
pulliptears
Old 31-12-2006, 1:13 PM

Similar thing happened to me in september. Id checked First Direct online and noticed a £100 payment to Orange. As nobody is on that network it aroused my suspicion. After checking with DH that he hadnt been buying anything I studied the statements and found over £500 worth of mobile phone transactions that had nothing to do with us dating back up to 5 weeks (cant believe we hadnt noticed!)

Called First Direct who instantly cancelled my card and immediately refunded £400 of the transactions . We had to wait a few days for the other £100 while they dealt with T Mobile.
Unfortunately, this little shopping spree sent us overdrawn and FD charged us £50 for the priviledge of being robbed. After much complaining they reduced it to £12.
This is my bargain you mewling quim!

# 17
fitorbust
Old 02-01-2007, 7:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just been checking my AL business account and have £689 gone out to Philips Eindhoven on the 26/12.... rang the emergency line and cancelled the card but can't talk to anyone til tomorrow as the business bank is closed - it seems if I had a personal account I could - how annoying!
Let's hope I get the money back - especially as the tax bill is looming at the end of January!
# 18
C_Ronaldo
Old 03-01-2007, 5:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulliptears
Similar thing happened to me in september. Id checked First Direct online and noticed a 100 payment to Orange. As nobody is on that network it aroused my suspicion. After checking with DH that he hadnt been buying anything I studied the statements and found over 500 worth of mobile phone transactions that had nothing to do with us dating back up to 5 weeks (cant believe we hadnt noticed!)

Called First Direct who instantly cancelled my card and immediately refunded 400 of the transactions . We had to wait a few days for the other 100 while they dealt with T Mobile.
Unfortunately, this little shopping spree sent us overdrawn and FD charged us 50 for the priviledge of being robbed. After much complaining they reduced it to 12.

why should you have to pay the 12, i wouldnt, its not your fault u went overdrawn
No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
The Following User Says Thank You to C_Ronaldo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
greengrass
Old 01-03-2007, 2:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Seems a coincidence but I purchased from amazon for christmas and my card has just been cloned too
# 20
plutoniumpilot
Old 02-03-2007, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation

On tuesday I checked my Lloyds statement and lo and behold some f***** has used my card with a company called Eurobet. I am 270 out of pocket and now have to wait for a new card and hopefully my money back. I am really careful with my personal details and I'm angry that someone has got hold of my card details. I hoped (believed) this would never happen to me but how wrong I was.

Having had a look on the internet I found an interesting article about card skimming at petrol stations:

-http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article1400176.ece

I often use my debit card to pay for fuel and now reading this has put me off using my card in these situations. I'll definitely be using cash from now on at my local Shell garage!