Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jonathantvtv
    Debit card fraud... bad day for me.
    • 16th Nov 06, 1:28 PM
    Debit card fraud... bad day for me. 16th Nov 06 at 1:28 PM
    Hello all,

I checked my Lloyds online account last night and found a transaction for 340 that I didn't recognise. I contacted the fraud line to contest it and asked if I should cancel my card with card services. 'It's probably best to do so, to be on the safe side' was the reply. So through to card services and I cancel my card only to be told that I have 4 more fraudulant transactions pending taking the total I have been ripped off by UP to 640! Do any of you guys have experience of getting money back from Lloyds from a fraudulent DEBIT card transaction or can I kiss it goodbye?
    Last edited by jonathantvtv; 16-11-2006 at 4:51 PM.
Page 1
  • daymo
    • 16th Nov 06, 8:52 PM
    • 16th Nov 06, 8:52 PM
    I imagine they will refund you with no problems,once the police and their fraud department get to work that is.We got hit with fraud on Our Woolwich account,it was to the tune of£250 and all of it on my OH`s debit card No. We soon got our money back.The police traced the fraud to an i.p in California! he/she bought a subscription to an online gaming service -amongst other things-so probably a spotty he!,most banks will refund fraudulant use, so as annoying as it is I wouldn`t get too stressed....
  • richt71
    • 17th Nov 06, 1:52 AM
    • 17th Nov 06, 1:52 AM
    Hello all,

I checked my Lloyds online account last night and found a transaction for 340 that I didn't recognise. I contacted the fraud line to contest it and asked if I should cancel my card with card services. 'It's probably best to do so, to be on the safe side' was the reply. So through to card services and I cancel my card only to be told that I have 4 more fraudulant transactions pending taking the total I have been ripped off by UP to 640! Do any of you guys have experience of getting money back from Lloyds from a fraudulent DEBIT card transaction or can I kiss it goodbye?
    by jonathantvtv
    I had a lloyds debit card pinched from my pocket in a nightclub. I realised when I got home and called to stop it! Some cheeky so and so had used it to buy champanye in the nightclub and had run up a bill of over 300. Lloyds credited me and I gave a statement about what had happened. I would think as you reported it swiftly they'll do the same for you.
  • Willsnarf1983
    • 18th Nov 06, 8:21 PM
    • 18th Nov 06, 8:21 PM
    I had a lloyds debit card pinched from my pocket in a nightclub. I realised when I got home and called to stop it! Some cheeky so and so had used it to buy champanye in the nightclub and had run up a bill of over 300. Lloyds credited me and I gave a statement about what had happened. I would think as you reported it swiftly they'll do the same for you.
    by richt71

You didn't just have a really really good time then

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • soolin
    • 19th Nov 06, 10:09 AM
    • 19th Nov 06, 10:09 AM
    Virtually all misuse of card claims suceed as it is still possible to clone cards and even generate valid numbers online. The only claims that the banks do resist are where money has been taken from cashpoints or in shops face to face using a PIN, as it means the owner of the card must have compromised, or colluded to lose his card *and* his pin.

Soo
  • Heinz
    • 20th Nov 06, 3:39 PM
    • 20th Nov 06, 3:39 PM
    The only claims that the banks do resist are where money has been taken from cashpoints or in shops face to face using a PIN, as it means the owner of the card must have compromised, or colluded to lose his card *and* his pin.

Soo
    by soolin
    But the bank has to PROVE that, not merely suspect it.

Innocent until proven guilty still apllies (except with speed camera fines sent to the registered keeper, that is).
    Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
  • Froglet
    • 20th Nov 06, 10:11 PM
    • 20th Nov 06, 10:11 PM
    Recently a friend of mine had his Abbey debit card cloned and investigations are ongoing as to exactly where it happened but even his pin number was used.It is most likely it was one of those machines where they put a false front on and read the pin.He is getting his money refunded,but what a worry for people,you are not safe anywhere.I get a lot of things over the internet and i think as long as you are careful it is probably safer these days!!
  • James&Shell
    • 21st Nov 06, 10:10 AM
    • 21st Nov 06, 10:10 AM
    Shell got her card copied at sainsburys cash machine a few months ago when the statement came we noticed as we never take cash out there we just check the balance.

The coop checked in to it and refunded the £20
    WILL GET THERE SOON

WATCH OUT FOR THE PIG FLYING PAST!!

• tonyivb
    • 21st Nov 06, 1:26 PM
    • 21st Nov 06, 1:26 PM
    It was about two years ago, but on two occasions I had a batch of fraudulent transactions on my credit card... one was a shopping spree in Oxford Street and the other was 5 different flights on Easyjet & Ryanair.

On both occasions the frauds occurred right after I had made an Amazon Marketplace purchase.

I called the CC company as soon as I noticed, and although the transactions were on my statement I only had to pay for my own transactions and I was no worse off apart from the hassle of getting a new card.
    Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!
  • Lyndsay_21
    i recently had my debit card cloned/frauded, i recently placed an order with amazon wonder if thats where they got the number form!! makes u wonder
  • Claude
    I've just received a phone call from my credit card company to ask me about transactions on my account. I hadn't used this card since August until Saturday 18th when I signed up for a free trial with Lovefilm! So I immediately cancelled the card and the free trial. First problem I've ever had with using a card online! Too much of a coincidence I think!

And thankfully the credit card company were on the ball. I probably wouldn't have checked my account until my next payment was due!
    "There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone. Louis Camuti
  • kolakube_
    I am sorry this happened to you jonathan (and others) , it's just happened to me too, also with a Lloyds debit card. When I checked my online statement on Tuesday morning, 550 had been paid to Comet, nothing to do with me or other half. I phoned the bank straight away to stop the card. Comet were not very helpful, they were able to get details of the transaction from my address and said it was a phone order on Sunday, which was due for delivery that same day - but they could not stop it. They refused to give me any further details due to data protection ( ! ) and said an invoice "might" arrive at my house with details. They would not even tell me WHAT had been bought and where it had been delivered. I have never bought anything from Comet so they don't have my details other than for this fraudulent transaction.

Lloyds have said I should get the money back within 5 days, I'm hoping I will not also have to fight to get back charges for going over my overdraft limit.
  • mexico2
    Our experience is that we have had "chargebacks" when a stolen card has been used to make a purchase from us. Personally we have had attempted transactions made by someone who had our card details and we were refunded.I'm not sure if the protection you gat with debit card is the same as credit card though.Speak to the card issuer about it and cancel the card , they will send you a new one.

www.northumbrianumbers.com
  • topbargainhunter
    I am sorry this happened to you jonathan (and others) , it's just happened to me too, also with a Lloyds debit card. When I checked my online statement on Tuesday morning, 550 had been paid to Comet, nothing to do with me or other half. I phoned the bank straight away to stop the card. Comet were not very helpful, they were able to get details of the transaction from my address and said it was a phone order on Sunday, which was due for delivery that same day - but they could not stop it. They refused to give me any further details due to data protection ( ! ) and said an invoice "might" arrive at my house with details. They would not even tell me WHAT had been bought and where it had been delivered. I have never bought anything from Comet so they don't have my details other than for this fraudulent transaction.

Lloyds have said I should get the money back within 5 days, I'm hoping I will not also have to fight to get back charges for going over my overdraft limit.
    by kolakube_
    this has happened to several people I know of, and I always find it strange that the banks always allow the fraudster to go over your overdraft limit (sometimes by thousands), rather than reject the transaction. Is there any point in having a limit?? Perhaps if they didn't do this so readily, the fraudsters would get away with less, or is that too much like common sense for the banks?
  • James_N
    this has happened to several people I know of, and I always find it strange that the banks always allow the fraudster to go over your overdraft limit (sometimes by thousands), rather than reject the transaction. Is there any point in having a limit?? Perhaps if they didn't do this so readily, the fraudsters would get away with less, or is that too much like common sense for the banks?
    by topbargainhunter
    I am with Morgan Stanley and live in Wales. Whilst out shopping (well - I did not shop - my son and I went to the castle instead) with my soon to be married daughter and family I was phoned on my mobile by the CC company. Did I know my card was being used in Scotland for high-value purchases (you bet! 2000+ on rings, 1000+ on dresses, 100 deposit on luxury chocolate treats deposit ..).
    I had to pay them a 27 overlimit payment immediately by debit card, and THEN they upped my limit to accommodate the extra purchases yet to be made.
    That's when it helps to have a squeaky clean long term relationship - they can see the unusual transactions and take action AND help you if you are a genuine good customer.
  • pulliptears
    Similar thing happened to me in september. Id checked First Direct online and noticed a £100 payment to Orange. As nobody is on that network it aroused my suspicion. After checking with DH that he hadnt been buying anything I studied the statements and found over £500 worth of mobile phone transactions that had nothing to do with us dating back up to 5 weeks (cant believe we hadnt noticed!)

Called First Direct who instantly cancelled my card and immediately refunded £400 of the transactions . We had to wait a few days for the other £100 while they dealt with T Mobile.
    Unfortunately, this little shopping spree sent us overdrawn and FD charged us £50 for the priviledge of being robbed. After much complaining they reduced it to £12.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• fitorbust
    I have just been checking my AL business account and have £689 gone out to Philips Eindhoven on the 26/12.... rang the emergency line and cancelled the card but can't talk to anyone til tomorrow as the business bank is closed - it seems if I had a personal account I could - how annoying!
    Let's hope I get the money back - especially as the tax bill is looming at the end of January!
  • C_Ronaldo
    Similar thing happened to me in september. Id checked First Direct online and noticed a 100 payment to Orange. As nobody is on that network it aroused my suspicion. After checking with DH that he hadnt been buying anything I studied the statements and found over 500 worth of mobile phone transactions that had nothing to do with us dating back up to 5 weeks (cant believe we hadnt noticed!)

Called First Direct who instantly cancelled my card and immediately refunded 400 of the transactions . We had to wait a few days for the other 100 while they dealt with T Mobile.
    Unfortunately, this little shopping spree sent us overdrawn and FD charged us 50 for the priviledge of being robbed. After much complaining they reduced it to 12.
    by pulliptears

why should you have to pay the 12, i wouldnt, its not your fault u went overdrawn
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • greengrass
    Seems a coincidence but I purchased from amazon for christmas and my card has just been cloned too
  • plutoniumpilot
    On tuesday I checked my Lloyds statement and lo and behold some f***** has used my card with a company called Eurobet. I am 270 out of pocket and now have to wait for a new card and hopefully my money back. I am really careful with my personal details and I'm angry that someone has got hold of my card details. I hoped (believed) this would never happen to me but how wrong I was.

Having had a look on the internet I found an interesting article about card skimming at petrol stations:

-http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article1400176.ece

I often use my debit card to pay for fuel and now reading this has put me off using my card in these situations. I'll definitely be using cash from now on at my local Shell garage!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,102Users online

Martin's Twitter